Hey guys~ not sure where to put this >< so sorry if its wrong

Rosellynne
User is offlineOffline
Hey guys~ not sure where to put this >< so sorry if its wrong

So for the past 12 years i been going in and out of  thinking about religion and about 4 years ago i found wicca but the truth is i dont see it as a religion in fact i dont belive in religion period  i jus think there  made up stories made to scare people into certain belifs or whatever. I enjoy wicca not because of the religion because i don belive in that part but  i do enjo it because you can explore yourself and the world in a different light.

My question hough is even thoug im non religious in wicca   does that make me a wiccan athiest ?  or just an athiest.  (consideringi have been against and non beliveing since i was at least 10 am now 22 and been practicing some arts of wicca for 3 yrs)

Rose~

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Rosellynne wrote: i jus

Rosellynne wrote:
i jus think there  made up stories made to scare people into certain belifs or whatever.

That's about the long and short of it, yeah.

Rosellynne wrote:
My question hough is even thoug im non religious in wicca   does that make me a wiccan athiest ?  or just an athiest.  (consideringi have been against and non beliveing since i was at least 10 am now 22 and been practicing some arts of wicca for 3 yrs)

We have an old-gods-worshipping person on this board who considers herself a theist, so I'm not totally sure, but you sound like an atheist to me.

Still, don't worry about it. Welcome to the forum.

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd say you're an atheist.

I'd say you're an atheist. For example, I'm an atheist materialist but I enjoy learning about the occult and arcane and sometimes even practicing magic(k) even if I know their not real.

Rosellynne
User is offlineOffline
Ah ok thanks guys xd i was

Ah ok thanks guys xd i was totaly getting confused about all the diff types of stuff going around Sticking out tongue

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum,

Welcome to the forum, Rose!

Rosellynne wrote:

Rose~

An atheist is someone that doesn't believe in God. If you don't believe in any god or gods, then you're an atheist.  

So, for you, wicca is like a fun hobby? 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Rosellynne
User is offlineOffline
wicca is just interesting to

wicca is just interesting to me i never sawit as a religion or that god or goddesses were real  i take the part of where you appreciate life and nature and stuffs   and also to kinda   find everyones opinion bcause wicca is very diverse

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rosellynne wrote:wicca is

Rosellynne wrote:

wicca is just interesting to me i never sawit as a religion or that god or goddesses were real  i take the part of where you appreciate life and nature and stuffs   and also to kinda   find everyones opinion bcause wicca is very diverse

Welcome. Personally, I'm what you might call a naturalist or physicalist, in that I believe that the physical world is the extent of what there is. So I'm incidentally an atheist, and incidentally an a-magic-ist. (That is, I don't believe that magic is real.)

Of course, far be it from me to tell other people what to do with their time. If you enjoy going to the conferences ... or ... whatever there is in wicca ... then who am I to judge?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
    I have no problems

I have no problems with practicing Wiccans.  Speaking from personal experience, the few pagans that I have encountered are generally an easy-going bunch who have no need to go around converting others to their beliefs. In broad terms Wiccans as individuals  seem to be much more compassionate and kind when compared with members of traditional dogmatic, evangelical Christianity.  Anyway that's my perception so far...

Rosellynne
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Rosellynne

HisWillness wrote:

Rosellynne wrote:

Welcome. Personally, I'm what you might call a naturalist or physicalist, in that I believe that the physical world is the extent of what there is. So I'm incidentally an atheist, and incidentally an a-magic-ist. (That is, I don't believe that magic is real.)

Of course, far be it from me to tell other people what to do with their time. If you enjoy going to the conferences ... or ... whatever there is in wicca ... then who am I to judge?

im actually solo wiccan lol ^^  so no conferences my own belifs my own system jus adding on to some of what exists  ....  

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome!

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Rosellynne wrote:

So for the past 12 years i been going in and out of  thinking about religion and about 4 years ago i found wicca but the truth is i dont see it as a religion in fact i dont belive in religion period  i jus think there  made up stories made to scare people into certain belifs or whatever. I enjoy wicca not because of the religion because i don belive in that part but  i do enjo it because you can explore yourself and the world in a different light.

Rose~

Atheist and aregligious are different words with different although related meanings. Which one fits you? What you do is a third thing. Lots of atheists spent years engaging in Sunday prayer rituals. Then you can go into the entire intrinsic/extrinsic thing. Gay only is as gay does or gay is intrinsic. You can probably find a few other ways to drive yourself to distraction thinking about it. I don't see how being a blessed wannabe means much no matter what you want to call it.

[That was Willow's description.]

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Rosellynne wrote:

Rose~

Atheist and aregligious are different words with different although related meanings. Which one fits you? What you do is a third thing. Lots of atheists spent years engaging in Sunday prayer rituals. Then you can go into the entire intrinsic/extrinsic thing. Gay only is as gay does or gay is intrinsic. You can probably find a few other ways to drive yourself to distraction thinking about it. I don't see how being a blessed wannabe means much no matter what you want to call it.

[That was Willow's description.]

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rosellynne wrote:My question

Rosellynne wrote:

My question hough is even thoug im non religious in wicca   does that make me a wiccan athiest ?  or just an athiest.   

Where is the secret atheist handbook so we can get a ruling on this one?

Rosellynne wrote:

Rose~

Such a nice name for a witch.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rosellynne wrote:does that

Rosellynne wrote:

does that make me a wiccan athiest ?  or just an athiest.

i think it makes you Rose, which is all you need to worry about.  the rest is just bullshit for other people to get hung up on.

i'm actually in a similar position to you, though i don't talk about it very much, in that i'm a big reader of buddhist literature, particularly zen, and taoist literature.  i'm not a practising buddhist, at least not yet, but i've found the buddha's ideas of tanha, anicca, and anatta to be the most concise way of summing up the plight of the universe and humanity, at least for me.  i also suffer from frequent bouts of depression--though not crippling or suicidal, luckily--and reading deeply in zen buddhism or taoism always seems to ease them.  i'd rather go to the writings of hui neng or chuang tzu than to a psychiatrist, that's for damn sure.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Rose, it's certainly

Rose, it's certainly possible to be religious and atheist.  Some religions don't have gods.  Those are atheist religions.  Being an atheist doesn't mean anything about what else you might believe in or not.  Even if you believed that magic was real, you would still be an atheist so long as you didn't believe gods were real.

In short, all atheism is is an on/off switch.  Either you believe in a god or gods, or you don't.  That's it. 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Rosellynne wrote:So for the

Rosellynne wrote:

Rose~

Welcome!

Sure you can be both.  It is possible to follow the ritual of a religion without belief in the woo-woo of a religion.  Personally, I always liked Wiccan rituals so I sympathize.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
my question

I consider myself an athiest as i dont believe in any God/s, but only because its the most appropriate word i would assume for my belief system in relation to god or supernatural beings.   My question is in the definition of athiest:

Adjective

1. Related to or characterized by or given to atheism; "atheist leanings".

Noun

1. Someone who denies the existence of god.

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/atheist

is their a general standard that this god or supernatural being must meet to make this definition true?  And what is that exactly?  That it is the generally common god of the masses, sits in a throne, and makes silly rules.  Or can this "god" be any creator of any kind including a natural force with no mind, or even a naturally living scientific creator?  My sister dabbled a little into wicca, and although i dont know much about their teachings i know from what she said they are not evil or immoral in anyway, and dont have "gods", and the wiccans ive spoke with have all been smart casual people i had no problem with, which is rare because im easily annoyed.

I am going to look it up, but i always like a persons view on a topic more than the history of the topic, i find it more interesting.  So what exactly are the teachings of wicca in relation to the origin of the universe, and meaning for our existence?    

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

I consider myself an athiest as i dont believe in any God/s, but only because its the most appropriate word i would assume for my belief system in relation to god or supernatural beings.   My question is in the definition of athiest:

Adjective

1. Related to or characterized by or given to atheism; "atheist leanings".

Noun

1. Someone who denies the existence of god.

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/atheist

is their a general standard that this god or supernatural being must meet to make this definition true?  And what is that exactly?  That it is the generally common god of the masses, sits in a throne, and makes silly rules.  Or can this "god" be any creator of any kind including a natural force with no mind, or even a naturally living scientific creator?  My sister dabbled a little into wicca, and although i dont know much about their teachings i know from what she said they are not evil or immoral in anyway, and dont have "gods", and the wiccans ive spoke with have all been smart casual people i had no problem with, which is rare because im easily annoyed.

I am going to look it up, but i always like a persons view on a topic more than the history of the topic, i find it more interesting.  So what exactly are the teachings of wicca in relation to the origin of the universe, and meaning for our existence?    

That is a deistic god, but still a god.

Typically, Wiccans do believe in a god(s), although there is no unifying doctrine.  Wicca is not unified enough to have a consistent creation story.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.