User is offlineOffline
Could some one define god for me please

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh that is such an easy

Oh that is such an easy one.

Gods tend to be small and furry beings who meet you at the door when you come home and demand to be fed and loved. They curl up with you in bed at night. They usually have a tail (apart from Manx gods).

Once in a while, they get to be too large to curl up with you, then they hang out in the American North West and hunt moose and other similarly sized animals. Also, some of them come from Asia and of that group, some hunt pandas.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:I

Atheistextremist wrote:

I don't know what I don't believe in...

Please tell me you are kidding. You started a thread just to post that? Is that all you have?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am god.

I am god.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I am god.So you

Vastet wrote:
I am god.

So you are the bastard that watches me take a dump and when I jack off? What the fuck is your problem god?

Never mind that god. That is sick enough. But COULD YOU PLEASE GET YOUR FANS TO STOP USING THE ONLY PLANET I HAVE FOR THEIR PATHETIC GAME OF CAPTURE THE FLAG!

Oh and BTW you are a dick and your "plan" sucks.

(Note to Vastet: Watch the believer return with "Why are you so angry at god?&quotEye-wink

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:I

Atheistextremist wrote:
Could some one define god for me please.

I don't know what I don't believe in...

The basic meaning of 'god' that has been deduced from the theist minion is that it is something they claim exists but that it exhibits no empirical evidence of itself and is manifested as a 'belief' which is clearly a contrived assumption. Theists have somehow derive their "proofs' of this thing they call god from "feelings".

If you look in the dictionary, god is defined as 'supreme being'. Then if you look up 'supreme being' the definition is 'god'. This is obviously illogical and irrational. Reasoning in which the conclusion is ostensibly equivalent to the premise is circularity or begging the question. 

If you look up soul, spirit, supernatural entity, 'the creator of the universe' (if this thing created the universe where did it exist before  there was a universe? {this presumes there was at one time no universe}), in the dictionary the results will be equally nugatory.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was serious

P'raps I'm small minded Brian37 but I can't see how we can start to talk about something that has no definition.

I've never been offered a good definition of god from believers - have you? The idea of god as a superman

knowing everything and us made in his likeness nonplusses me. For me it's a core question. What is god meant to be?

In arguments with my fundamentalist brothers there's always their ultimate fall-back position to contend with.

That god is the cause and we are the effect. They are never obligated to explain to me what it is they're talking about.

That a cause made me in its likeness, and wants to have some sort of personal relationship with me, on a human level.

How can this possibly be?

I always hope that if there's no definition of god and no way to define it they might have no argument after all.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:
P'raps I'm small minded Brian37 but I can't see how we can start to talk about something that has no definition.

That was George Smith's argument. Well, also Wittgenstein's. And Nietzche's.

A major contributor to this site addresses the supernatural in general in a similar way.

Atheistextremist wrote:
I always hope that if there's no definition of god and no way to define it they might have no argument after all.

The beauty of the situation is what I pompously call "Saint Will's Dichotomy", though the ideas clearly aren't mine:

The dichotomy is either we're discussing something that literally cannot be discussed (that is, not only has no definition, but also no characteristics, presence, etc.) OR we're discussing something nonsensical because it is internally incoherent (examples of which include a god which both exists and does not exist, or a god that loves perfectly and inflicts eternal punishment).

So either the discussion is about nonsense, or it's about nonsense. Fiction only fits into the second category if you're trying to convince people that centaurs and unicorns exist (as examples).

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Vastet wrote:I

Brian37 wrote:

Vastet wrote:
I am god.

So you are the bastard that watches me take a dump and when I jack off? What the fuck is your problem god?

Never mind that god. That is sick enough. But COULD YOU PLEASE GET YOUR FANS TO STOP USING THE ONLY PLANET I HAVE FOR THEIR PATHETIC GAME OF CAPTURE THE FLAG!

Oh and BTW you are a dick and your "plan" sucks.

(Note to Vastet: Watch the believer return with "Why are you so angry at god?&quotEye-wink

Do you seriously think I'm watching you take a shit when there's 140,000,000 hot lesbian couples to watch within a 20000 km radius?

Btw, that game was designed to kill off idiots. When it's finally over, the quality of the gene pool will be increased. Just another component of evolution. Eye-wink

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Everything, including

Christian God is like my older brother, he's such a strong, but angry and capricious guy, and he's almost never around when we need him to help Smiling

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Christian God

Luminon wrote:

Christian God is like my older brother, he's such a strong, but angry and capricious guy, and he's almost never around when we need him to help Smiling

But you dont need your bother Luminon, just use your magic own powers

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.