Ignoring potential backslides.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ignoring potential backslides.

I am in the process of listing to Ayaan Hirsi Ali on POI, and her rightful call to fight the political ideology of Islam.

I agree, as a political tool, Islam must be defeated.

However, it wasn't that long ago that a Christian pointed to the east and said, "You are either with us, or against us". That was said by a United States President, whom personally believes that God is on his side, and not the side of Islam.

We can and should rightfully point out the lack of pluralism and bountiful theocracies in the Middle East and fight against these oppressive ideas.

BUT, what people forget in the west, is that Christianity has been subject to the leash of secularism, for 200 plus years, that while allows for it's existance...freedom...does not allow it to dictate. But, there was a time when the bible was viewed as strictly as many in the east today view the Koran.

I think it is a mistake for any Christian or atheist to downplay the bible as being less of a potential political tool because we don't have suicide bombers in the name of Christianity.

It is in spite of Christianity, not because of Christianity that religion has a leash on it through our secular common law. It is what allows religion to exist but maintains a wall so that religion cannot become as oppressive as what we see in the East.

It wasn't always that way in Christian history. Blasphemy was as harshly punished by Christians in all their sects back then, as we see modern zealots in the East today.

While we shouldn't take our eyes of Islam today, we must never forget what the west crawled out of because of the Age of Reason.

I think it is wise for Ayaan to serve as an example to Arabic women, and for her and Hitchens to blast their barbaric tactics. But I think it is a mistake to take our eyes of any type of worship as being an absolute, be it of a deity or of a state. To do that is to allow fascism to take hold.

It is important to point out that fascism is not a godless thing or a theocracy, but the attitude that power must be absolute without question and submission the rule. This mistake is what cased the Dark Ages, Stalin, North Korea and theocracies like Iran.

Again, in the rightness of pointing out barbarity, we must not forget that we are all human, to do such is to set ourselves up to do the same thing we say we want to fight against.

I applaud Ayaan for the bravery I will never have, and thank her for putting herself out there despite the risk. But Christian history has only been watered down to a manageable portion. But to deny it's own past tyrany is to deny that any one group, political, religious or state wise, is just as capable of barbarity in the future.

Human nature is what is going on here. All humans are capable of good and all humans are capable of bad, and all humans are capable of barbarity, godless or god fearing. THAT is the lesson we as humans all need to remember, least we repeat it.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well said.

Well said.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I get a lip twitch when

I get a lip twitch when Christians or atheists downplay the Bible when comparing it to the Koran. The mistake is that people forget BOTH are weapons. The difference is that the view TODAY of the bible would be like a 22 vs the view of far to many in Islam as the Koran being an RPG.

At one time the Bible was viewed as absolute law by most Christian. It was as much of a Nuclear "all or nothing" book of law back then as Muslims view the Koran today. It is a mistake to say the bible is different. It is viewed differently today, but it's history is still rooted in the fact that the main character is still the absolute ruler, no different than the absolute ruler in Allah.

I most certainly take issue with anyone trying to say the books are different, when the motifs of the head characters of each are the same concept of dictators. Water it down all you want, the story plot is the same. If you believe, daddy will reward you. If you don't believe daddy will punish you.

There is absolutely NO democratic approach in the Bible, even the cop out Christians use, "Leave to Ceazar(sp)" doesn't change the fact that God has the final say as to who gets into his club and who gets burned forever, so the "wall" to god is merely window dressing which  god doesn't have to respect. It is merely lip service.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:At one time

Brian37 wrote:

At one time the Bible was viewed as absolute law by most Christian. It was as much of a Nuclear "all or nothing" book of law back then as Muslims view the Koran today. It is a mistake to say the bible is different. It is viewed differently today, but it's history is still rooted in the fact that the main character is still the absolute ruler, no different than the absolute ruler in Allah.

It would be nice to de-claw all super-cosmic fascism, I agree. But there is hope in the fact that even we were able to overcome the influence of the bible in our culture.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Brian37

HisWillness wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

It would be nice to de-claw all super-cosmic fascism, I agree. But there is hope in the fact that even we were able to overcome the influence of the bible in our culture.

There is no such thing as a utopia. There isnt going to be a godless utopia or a god fearing utopia. There can be debate and a leaning towards reason. But our future as a species depends on common ground.

I'd like to see the natural, not forced via government, but the natural death of belief in superstitious crap, through self introspection and critical thinking.

But the reality is that 6 billion people will not always agree and in the end all we can do is marginalize barbarity by allowing blasphemy and dissent with the agreement of leaving it at words. We all like to bitch. We do, and they do. Barbarity wont end by demanding silence or submission. Barbarity ends when we accept that we don't like being physically harmed. They don't and we don't.

I think by doing such, we all can see ourselves as individuals.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:There is no

Brian37 wrote:

There is no such thing as a utopia.

I like it when people descirbe a 'religious Utopia', such as moslems describing the Ummah once it's implemented sharia worldwide, and I wholeheartedly agree.

The word comes from the Greek οὐ, "not", and τόπος, "place", indicating that More was utilizing the concept as allegory and did not consider such an ideal place to be realistically possible.

That being said I fully agree that islam is currently in the position that christianity was a few hundred years ago.

Fight islam now but continue to fight all religious idiocy.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab wrote:Fight islam

Abu Lahab wrote:
Fight islam now but continue to fight all religious idiocy.

In keeping with the original post, I don't know if it's so much fighting Islam as it is introducing the appeal of secularism as a much more reasonable alternative. Countries like Iran consist of largely secular populations, ruled by an Islamic elite. Not only that, but the insanity of Iraq (one couldn't call any of that a "religious" problem so much as a total chaos problem) is such that people are caught just trying to find a way to experience an enjoyable life.

Iran's film industry has rules just like we did in the 50s, when people were only allowed to kiss on screen for something like four seconds. So how did that get better, and how could oppressive countries learn the lesson of introducing civil rights and freedoms?

For one thing, the West would have to stop fucking the middle east over constantly. Fat chance of that happening while we all still use oil.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Brian

But the challenge is to instill true tolerance and as we know the heart of religion (read christianity and islam) is not tolerant in any way.

I once thought the application of time to this problem was a virtual guarantee of progress towards broader minds. It may be that this

will turn out to be true, but I'm not certain. Funny to think in the 1500s tens of thousands of women across Europe were burned at the

instigation of the church for being witches. It's impossible to conceive how a society could go along with this that did not live in the shadow

of great terror.

I live in a country where at the last census 8 per cent of the population nominated their religion as 'Jedi' and while this might

be seen as a bit ridiculous, it indicates the correct application of tongue to cheek where matters of religion are concerned.

Trouble is, as Brian points out, you don't want to turn your back on the monster for too long.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: But

Atheistextremist wrote:

But the challenge is to instill true tolerance and as we know the heart of religion (read christianity and islam) is not tolerant in any way.

I once thought the application of time to this problem was a virtual guarantee of progress towards broader minds. It may be that this

will turn out to be true, but I'm not certain. Funny to think in the 1500s tens of thousands of women across Europe were burned at the

instigation of the church for being witches. It's impossible to conceive how a society could go along with this that did not live in the shadow

of great terror.

I live in a country where at the last census 8 per cent of the population nominated their religion as 'Jedi' and while this might

be seen as a bit ridiculous, it indicates the correct application of tongue to cheek where matters of religion are concerned.

Trouble is, as Brian points out, you don't want to turn your back on the monster for too long.

The monster is credulity in all it's forms. It is the same credulity that has created the fascism of North Korea and Iran. It is the monster that allows new superstitions to be be born like Sceintology. It is the monster that leads people to kill abortion doctors and blow up public transit. It is the monster that leads people to believe that the Transporter from Star Trec is a possibility. It is the monster that leads people to believe that Evis is alive and that their was a third man on the grassy knoll. The only cure for this monster is healthy and constant skepticism and questioning and demand for evidence.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
 http://www.rr-bb.com/ I

http://www.rr-bb.com/

I wouldn't say that Christianity is totally over that phase Sad

Good post Brian.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I am in the

Brian37 wrote:

I am in the process of listing to Ayaan Hirsi Ali on POI, and her rightful call to fight the political ideology of Islam.

I'm curious what your opinion is about what we should do militarily to defeat the Taliban, Al Qaeda and other militant Islamic groups. The top general in Afghanistan is saying we need 40,000 more troops to put down the Taliban and is threatening to quit if Obama doesn't give him this request.

Do we send whatever troops is necessary to crush them wherever they exist? Do we just try to contain the Taliban, keep them out of the big cities? Do we get completely out of the middle east and focus on homeland security?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Brian37 wrote:I am

EXC wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I'm curious what your opinion is about what we should do militarily to defeat the Taliban, Al Qaeda and other militant Islamic groups. The top general in Afghanistan is saying we need 40,000 more troops to put down the Taliban and is threatening to quit if Obama doesn't give him this request.

Do we send whatever troops is necessary to crush them wherever they exist? Do we just try to contain the Taliban, keep them out of the big cities? Do we get completely out of the middle east and focus on homeland security?

Who said anything about military? I can't control all the governments in the world, nor am I the president of the United States.

Islam like Christianity, like belief in Big Foot need to be defeated with constant criticism.  Wars are going to happen and are an unfortunate part of human evolution. BUT, we should work toward a societal attitude to use that as a last resort and only in self defense. You are focused on ONE issue in ONE period of time when I am talking about how humanity could do better for itself.

Islam is the biggest danger and the most current danger, but it is not the only danger. And even if it were gone tomorrow it would not solve the problem of the credulity that lead to it's birth in the first place.

Credulity is something our species needs to learn to deal with and minimize. In promoting skepticism ON ANY ISSUE, you are not going to make all absurd claims go away, but in promoting that attitude, you can minimize the harm such absurd claims can potentially cause.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
I agree with the no military

I agree with the no military approuch. I think that all the money (or even half of it) going to kill people in the Iraq and Afganastan should go to public education teaching with a focus (aside from reading, writing, etc...) on tolerance and logic. Also, public libraries with free internet access would do wonders for people in poorer areas. For the price of a computer you get literally millions of online information (ok maybe not as much since many won't be able to read English but its still a lot). I think we can take the case of American (again) being far behind the rest of the industrialized world in education and have the least amount of social tolerance as evidence that liberal education leads to less violent and more understanding societies. I know this is basically propaganda, or perhaps a lighter word is more sufficient. That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea.

I also watched a TED talk (or it might have been somewhere else) about fundamentalist Islam. The speaker argued that it was not in the mosques where suicide bombers were born, but rather, when people are in their 20's the most important people to them are their friends. When one of the decides to become a suicide bomber they all support him and sometimes the rest follow. He argued that setting up soccer clubs would do more to stop terrorism than any war. If this is true then I think a system of public libraries/community centers where the staff draws people in for the sports and then encourages them to use the other facilities.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
A'hem. "It is the monster

A'hem.

"It is the monster that leads people to believe that the Transporter from Star Trec is a possibility."

Actually, it is. Just not the way it is portrayed.
When real science is used to examine ST type transporters, it becomes clear that you aren't actually transporting anything. You are making a copy of matter, not moving it, and destroying the original. Not suitable for life, but sufficient for cargo (with the obvious scenario that destroying the original is pointless in most cases, so wouldn't occur unless it was a necessary component).

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:A'hem. "It is

Vastet wrote:
A'hem. "It is the monster that leads people to believe that the Transporter from Star Trec is a possibility." Actually, it is. Just not the way it is portrayed. When real science is used to examine ST type transporters, it becomes clear that you aren't actually transporting anything. You are making a copy of matter, not moving it, and destroying the original. Not suitable for life, but sufficient for cargo (with the obvious scenario that destroying the original is pointless in most cases, so wouldn't occur unless it was a necessary component).

Moving a photon hardly constitutes being able to copy anything living or dead. You still have huge gap. I think you are conflating tangential lagit discoveries and projecting into the future.

I don't know what websites you are getting your info from, but it sounds more si fi conspiracy  than reality.

"cargo", lets take that an run with it. How exactly would this "real" transporter scan a table(not living)(cargo) and make copies of the millions of atoms and asemble them in the exact molecular structure down to the shape of the bolt and nails and wood grain and stain?

Don't get me wrong. I am still to this day in awe of technology in that grew up on land phones and am now on Skpe talking to Bob in Australia as if I was calling my neighbor.

You have brought this up before and I still fail to see how moving or copying anything living or dead in that manor is possible.

I think you've been watching "The Fly" too much.

Vaset, don't get me wrong. I am glad you don't buy the old myth crap. But I hold you to the same standard I do anyone else.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your post is a bunch of

Your post is a bunch of assumptions that have little or nothing to do with reality. I said, and repeat, that when examining ST transporter tech with real science, that nothing is being transported, and that it wouldn't work as portrayed. I also point out that nowhere in ST or my comment was it suggested that anything is being created, let alone molecules from photons.
We ALREADY are capable of assembling molecules from atoms and other molecules, but you assume we will never be able to do so with greater efficiency and ability than currently available. Ridiculous. Every year that goes by we get better at it. Unlike yourself, I don't assume an upper limit of potential progress in science.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Your post is a

Vastet wrote:
Your post is a bunch of assumptions that have little or nothing to do with reality. I said, and repeat, that when examining ST transporter tech with real science, that nothing is being transported, and that it wouldn't work as portrayed. I also point out that nowhere in ST or my comment was it suggested that anything is being created, let alone molecules from photons. We ALREADY are capable of assembling molecules from atoms and other molecules, but you assume we will never be able to do so with greater efficiency and ability than currently available. Ridiculous. Every year that goes by we get better at it. Unlike yourself, I don't assume an upper limit of potential progress in science.

Technically ST transporters disassemble matter and shoot that same matter to a receiver in a 'compressed' stream.  So, it is 'your' matter that is reconstituted.

I can pull out my technical manuals if you want Smiling

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
No, you're absolutely right.

No, you're absolutely right. But that it can't work as specified does not mean all it's elements are completely impossible. Think more of the replicators than transporters for how it would work in reality. Point to point instant transport could perhaps be achieved via wormhole, but not via ST transporters.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:I

Atheistextremist wrote:

will turn out to be true, but I'm not certain.

Neither am I. After all, modern democracy developed by accident. The idea was never to give a middle class control over a nation. The democracy of the United States was based on the democracy of the Greeks: the "demos" was the male, fully enfranchised citizenry (as opposed to slaves, foreigners and women), a minority elite. Likewise, the American colonies were run by wealthy merchants who formed an elite, owned slaves, and wanted the status reserved for nobility. The Greeks provided them with the perfect pattern.

But then there was a middle class, and that elitist dream fell to a middle-class power base. In countries like Iran, the best possible thing that could happen is a power base in the hands of a middle-class majority. But the helplessness that must grip a nation when they know that their government can be overturned any time another country feels like it must be awful.