Empiricism continued

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Empiricism continued

The thread this was in took a detour into computer talk, so I'm restarting it here.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
I'd agree that the scientific enterprise is very much a communal effort, but it stands or falls on the individual contributors being empirical, and I as an individual am confined to a body that relies on senses and faculties that I presume are functioning correctly.

Those faculties are also well known to be subject to trickery. That's why there's so much work that goes into experiment design -- the idea is to eliminate the influence of our fallible senses.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
I am not saying that noumenology is any better, but as on face it seems to account better for a priori entities and all they entail, and thus the reason I would probably have leanings towards it, as I do transcendentalism.

The only problem is that noumenology failed as spectacularly as did logical positivism, in terms of competing philosophies. Nietzsche famously tears it apart in Beyond Good and Evil for being a non-starter. The "thing-in-itself" is made up of a whole lot of nothing, it turns out, and even Nietzsche's objections weren't as strong as later efforts.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
What I am looking for is credulity. If anything, I'm trying to defend empirical observation rather than exploit it. Before we can even begin to evaluate the soundness and validity of a test, the test has to actually exist. The challenge was to simply produce an empirical test that was used to accept or reject a particular belief. How can one evaluate the soundness of validity of the test if it does not even exist?

This leads down a difficult road, though. There are things for which there cannot be any tests by design. The supernatural, for instance, produces that effect: since the supernatural can have no interaction with the natural (by its name and definition) there's no way to ever test for it. What's interesting to note about that is the circularity of that reasoning. Simply by coming up with the word "supernatural", do we really have an obligation to establish an ontology? We don't seem to for wood nymphs or unicorns, so ...

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Those

HisWillness wrote:

Those faculties are also well known to be subject to trickery. That's why there's so much work that goes into experiment design -- the idea is to eliminate the influence of our fallible senses.

Good science should do eliminate influences, but it cannot eliminate the senses themselves without inevitably crippling the whole enterprise. One inevitably has to pass observations through one’s senses that he or she has to presume are working correctly a priori.

HisWillness wrote:

The only problem is that noumenology failed as spectacularly as did logical positivism, in terms of competing philosophies. Nietzsche famously tears it apart in Beyond Good and Evil for being a non-starter. The "thing-in-itself" is made up of a whole lot of nothing, it turns out, and even Nietzsche's objections weren't as strong as later efforts.

What I can appreciate about noumenology is the fact that entities exist and have an essence apart from those observing them, (i.e. logic), but as I have said this has more to do with ontology then epistemology. But as far as an epistemic framework is concerned, it never produced one or was it intended to be used as one because noumenology was concerned with ontology. Nietzsche concerns were over the issues of causation, and if I understand it right, "thing-in-itself" falls apart because so much of a thing's identity is caught up in its causal relationships to other things, but this is hardly a critique of any sort of epistemology.

HisWillness wrote:

This leads down a difficult road, though. There are things for which there cannot be any tests by design. The supernatural, for instance, produces that effect: since the supernatural can have no interaction with the natural (by its name and definition) there's no way to ever test for it. What's interesting to note about that is the circularity of that reasoning. Simply by coming up with the word "supernatural", do we really have an obligation to establish an ontology? We don't seem to for wood nymphs or unicorns, so ...

This may be the case if one asserts that the supernatural does not interact with the natural world, but I think this is probably a minority rather than a majority of particular beliefs. You'd be right in saying that by definition one cannot empirically test the supernatural per se, but that's not a problem with the supernatural...it's a limitation of empirical tests. But the point of the tests is not to establish something’s ontology, but to empirically verify the belief in the existence of some being, which can be tested empirically such as the example I have I gave concerning belief in Santa Claus.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:Good

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
Good science should do eliminate influences, but it cannot eliminate the senses themselves without inevitably crippling the whole enterprise. One inevitably has to pass observations through one’s senses that he or she has to presume are working correctly a priori.

Certainly working consistently, at least, yeah.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
What I can appreciate about noumenology is the fact that entities exist and have an essence apart from those observing them, (i.e. logic), but as I have said this has more to do with ontology then epistemology. But as far as an epistemic framework is concerned, it never produced one or was it intended to be used as one because noumenology was concerned with ontology. Nietzsche concerns were over the issues of causation, and if I understand it right, "thing-in-itself" falls apart because so much of a thing's identity is caught up in its causal relationships to other things, but this is hardly a critique of any sort of epistemology.

Except that here, we can't avoid the issue of ontology, as what we know about things that do not exist is suspect.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
This may be the case if one asserts that the supernatural does not interact with the natural world, but I think this is probably a minority rather than a majority of particular beliefs. You'd be right in saying that by definition one cannot empirically test the supernatural per se, but that's not a problem with the supernatural...it's a limitation of empirical tests.

You can't have it both ways, though. Either the supernatural interacts with nature, and therefore we could conceivably test it at some point (that is, the possibility for testing exists) or it doesn't, and the possibility for testing is removed entirely.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
But the point of the tests is not to establish something’s ontology, but to empirically verify the belief in the existence of some being, which can be tested empirically such as the example I have I gave concerning belief in Santa Claus.

I'm not sure what you're saying, here, since empirically verifying the belief in something's existence concerns ontology rather directly. Do you mean to separate ontology entirely from empirical testing? Or are you saying that even once Santa Claus was confirmed to be the guy living at the North Pole, we haven't actually confirmed an ontology? Something like that?

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Except

HisWillness wrote:

Except that here, we can't avoid the issue of ontology, as what we know about things that do not exist is suspect.

I suppose so, but I don't think we can say that noumenonology is opposed to phenomenology as philosophical system, Phenomenology is a more, rather in depth philosophical frame work while noumenology is principally a concept in ontology.

HisWillness wrote:

You can't have it both ways, though. Either the supernatural interacts with nature, and therefore we could conceivably test it at some point (that is, the possibility for testing exists) or it doesn't, and the possibility for testing is removed entirely.

I'd agree, you can’t have it both ways. The question is then, how does one test such things? Intelligent design proponents do on teleological grounds. Others attempt to do so using historical methods to test the authenticity of miracles.

HisWillness wrote:

I'm not sure what you're saying, here, since empirically verifying the belief in something's existence concerns ontology rather directly. Do you mean to separate ontology entirely from empirical testing? Or are you saying that even once Santa Claus was confirmed to be the guy living at the North Pole, we haven't actually confirmed an ontology? Something like that?

I'm concerned about justifying  beliefs, not so much in the actual ontology of the object of belief. Granted, the ontology of the object of belief should actually exist for the belief to be valid, but as I've said before, I am, at minimal level asking for an empirical test to justify beliefs.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

I suppose so, but I don't think we can say that noumenonology is opposed to phenomenology as philosophical system, Phenomenology is a more, rather in depth philosophical frame work while noumenology is principally a concept in ontology.

Much of phenomenology addresses the failures of noumenology, so I'm not sure what you mean.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
I'd agree, you can’t have it both ways. The question is then, how does one test such things? Intelligent design proponents do on teleological grounds. Others attempt to do so using historical methods to test the authenticity of miracles.

Historical methods applied to several-times-removed eye-witness testimony from 2,000 years ago. If a person didn't take that with a grain of salt, then something would have to be fundamentally wrong with them.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
I'm concerned about justifying  beliefs, not so much in the actual ontology of the object of belief. Granted, the ontology of the object of belief should actually exist for the belief to be valid, but as I've said before, I am, at minimal level asking for an empirical test to justify beliefs.

An empirical test to justify beliefs would require a hypothesis. What hypothesis could satisfy something like the "supernatural", which is itself incoherent? I mean, I have no problem with the "unknown", but the "supernatural" is a way to assume knowledge which is really in the realm of the unknown. Miracles, for instance, have never (to my knowledge) been shown to be anything but fraud, the placebo effect, or confirmation bias. There are certainly many claims of miracles, but none actually demonstrated. That, of course, does not mean that miracles do not happen with 100% certainty, but they seem only to happen in the absence of a rigorous observer. That's an indication that they are not genuine.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: Much of

HisWillness wrote:

Much of phenomenology addresses the failures of noumenology, so I'm not sure what you mean. 

Phenomenology is tp noumenology as apples are to Valencia oranges. By this I mean that noumenology's concern was more or less with ontology. Phenomenology addressed practically every major branch of philosophy. Noumenology could be a part of another philosophical framework such as Kantian transcendentalism or the like.

HisWillness wrote:

Historical methods applied to several-times-removed eye-witness testimony from 2,000 years ago. If a person didn't take that with a grain of salt, then something would have to be fundamentally wrong with them.

Then it's not a question of empirical observations existing, but a question of whether or not the empirical observations are valid.

HisWillness wrote:

An empirical test to justify beliefs would require a hypothesis. What hypothesis could satisfy something like the "supernatural", which is itself incoherent? I mean, I have no problem with the "unknown", but the "supernatural" is a way to assume knowledge which is really in the realm of the unknown. Miracles, for instance, have never (to my knowledge) been shown to be anything but fraud, the placebo effect, or confirmation bias. There are certainly many claims of miracles, but none actually demonstrated. That, of course, does not mean that miracles do not happen with 100% certainty, but they seem only to happen in the absence of a rigorous observer. That's an indication that they are not genuine.

The original inquiry for a test would be the difference between to two statements, "I believe Santa Claus exists" and "Santa Claus exists". The test I'd ask for is to test the former, not the latter.

A hypothesis to satisfy something like "supernatural" depends on what would attributes to the supernatural. A Humean definition defines it as, "a transgression of a law of nature by a particular volition of the Deity, or by the interposition of some invisible agent" while some are broader such as miracles of circumstance that have a perfectly natural explanation but nevertheless seem miraculous. One example given says a boy is stuck on a train tracks, his mother hears a train and prays for the boy's life. Sure enough, the train stops inches in from of the boy. It happened that at the moment the woman prayed, the engineer tripped and hit his head on the break causing the train to stop. Some attribute things like design. Numerous proposals have been offered on how to empirically test such things. The tests exist, but the question again comes back to the validity of the tests.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Phenomenology is tp noumenology as apples are to Valencia oranges. By this I mean that noumenology's concern was more or less with ontology. Phenomenology addressed practically every major branch of philosophy. Noumenology could be a part of another philosophical framework such as Kantian transcendentalism or the like.

Except that phenomenology swept Kant's noumenon aside as a piece of irrelevance. The thing-in-itself problem ends with Kant. We can all create theoretical essences in our minds, and increasingly recede them from perception, such that no thing's true essence can be seen.

That's why dealing with the phenomenon is more compelling than dealing with the noumenon. The noumenon falls almost immediately into a non-issue.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
HisWillness wrote:

Then it's not a question of empirical observations existing, but a question of whether or not the empirical observations are valid.

First, eyewitness accounts aren't usually considered empirical. That word is used more for rigorous observation. Second, eye-witness accounts are notoriously unreliable. There are eye-witnesses to the Kennedy assassination who will tell you that Jackie was wearing a white suit when JFK was shot. She wasn't, but that's what she was wearing the first day of the visit, and it's what they used to show on television on the anniversary. Those are eye-witness accounts just a few years down the road. Now pass those down a chain of copyists in the dark ages, and you're really groping in the dark.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
The original inquiry for a test would be the difference between to two statements, "I believe Santa Claus exists" and "Santa Claus exists". The test I'd ask for is to test the former, not the latter.

You're suggesting a test for whether or not someone actually believes something to be true?

I'm going to ignore the boy-on-the-train-tracks scenario you've set up, because it's simply hypothetical. If we're addressing the nature of the real, and how to deal with real things, then it doesn't help to consider hypothetical relationships between things, unless it presents an actual hypothesis. You seem to be suggesting "if God hears prayers", which has so many variables in it that it can't be tested.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Except

HisWillness wrote:

Except that phenomenology swept Kant's noumenon aside as a piece of irrelevance. The thing-in-itself problem ends with Kant. We can all create theoretical essences in our minds, and increasingly recede them from perception, such that no thing's true essence can be seen.

Transcendentalism did at least get at something, and I think it is basically the same conversation we had to start with: something cannot validate itself. This was Kant's biggest critique of Hume, and I think a sound one.

HisWillness wrote:

That's why dealing with the phenomenon is more compelling than dealing with the noumenon. The noumenon falls almost immediately into a non-issue.

For many people, dealing with the phenomenon this is enough. But for others, myself included, it's not and why I sympathize with Kant's critique of Hume.

HisWillness wrote:

First, eyewitness accounts aren't usually considered empirical. That word is used more for rigorous observation. Second, eye-witness accounts are notoriously unreliable. There are eye-witnesses to the Kennedy assassination who will tell you that Jackie was wearing a white suit when JFK was shot. She wasn't, but that's what she was wearing the first day of the visit, and it's what they used to show on television on the anniversary. Those are eye-witness accounts just a few years down the road. Now pass those down a chain of copyists in the dark ages, and you're really groping in the dark.

Some things do not have the luxury of being rigorously observed. For example, unless one can repeat the assassination of JFK, one cannot rigorously test whether or not Oswald actually killed him. What one does in that case is work from what has been observed. The nexus of observations can actually prove to be quite reliable. Suppose 6 people independently report an event. These six people have a habit of lying with every other statement he or she makes (that is they only tell the truth half the time). The probability of them all reporting the same event would be less than 2%. This of course does not guarantee that the observation is true, but at the same time, neither does all the rigorous empirical observations in the world guarantee something is true either.

HisWillness wrote:

You're suggesting a test for whether or not someone actually believes something to be true?

I'm not asking for truth per se, but justification (i.e. and empirical test if one is claiming to be empirical about his or her beliefs) for such a belief. If knowledge is justified true belief, then I'm looking for the justification for such knowledge.

HisWillness wrote:

I'm going to ignore the boy-on-the-train-tracks scenario you've set up, because it's simply hypothetical. If we're addressing the nature of the real, and how to deal with real things, then it doesn't help to consider hypothetical relationships between things, unless it presents an actual hypothesis. You seem to be suggesting "if God hears prayers", which has so many variables in it that it can't be tested.

I tossed that out there to because some consider such things to be miracles. Even if it is purely hypothetical, I have had such stories cited to me as examples of "miracles". The discussion here is whether or not this is a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy or not. But to the one who is the benefactor of such things, convincing them it was not a miracle would seem miraculous in and of itself. 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
Transcendentalism did at least get at something, and I think it is basically the same conversation we had to start with: something cannot validate itself. This was Kant's biggest critique of Hume, and I think a sound one.

Certainly Kant's critique of Hume was compelling, but to consider even the phenomena of existentialists like Sartre (who don't go as far as Husserl or Merleau-Ponty) is to reveal the weakness of that one point: the noumenon argument spirals into an infinite regress. We never have a handle on exactly what the thing-in-itself is, and we're helpless to communicate it.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
Some things do not have the luxury of being rigorously observed.

Right.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
I'm not asking for truth per se, but justification (i.e. and empirical test if one is claiming to be empirical about his or her beliefs) for such a belief. If knowledge is justified true belief, then I'm looking for the justification for such knowledge.

I'm still unclear about what is being tested. If you're just leading up to another "empiricism can't test itself", then we can abandon this line and see how we can justify empiricism. I have no problem attacking that, if that's what you're driving at.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Certainly

HisWillness wrote:

Certainly Kant's critique of Hume was compelling, but to consider even the phenomena of existentialists like Sartre (who don't go as far as Husserl or Merleau-Ponty) is to reveal the weakness of that one point: the noumenon argument spirals into an infinite regress. We never have a handle on exactly what the thing-in-itself is, and we're helpless to communicate it.

I'd agree noumenon argument results in infinite regress if the idea of the noumenon is treated as a "thing-in-itself" and really counter-productive if left alone. Everything becomes a tautology if Kant is right. This can be avoided (and probably where I'd part company with Kant) if one one grounds the ontology of a "thing-in-itself" and limit the number of things that get the "thing-in-itself" status. This is the basic strategy employed by Sartre, Husserl, and Merleau-Ponty, but they differ one what they appointed  as a "thing-in-itself". I do think some things have ontology in and of themselves but not all things. In other words, their are necessary and contingent entities --  a sort of cosmological necessity but not nccessarily a god.

HisWillness wrote:

I'm still unclear about what is being tested. If you're just leading up to another "empiricism can't test itself", then we can abandon this line and see how we can justify empiricism. I have no problem attacking that, if that's what you're driving at.

I would be testing the belief, not the ontological status of the object of belief. I'm not leading to a "empiricism can't test itself". I'm basically asking, "If you claim to be empirical about your beleifs, show how you are empirical about your beliefs". It's a test of credulity, not a test of ontology.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:I'd agree

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

I'd agree noumenon argument results in infinite regress if the idea of the noumenon is treated as a "thing-in-itself" and really counter-productive if left alone. Everything becomes a tautology if Kant is right. This can be avoided (and probably where I'd part company with Kant) if one one grounds the ontology of a "thing-in-itself" and limit the number of things that get the "thing-in-itself" status. This is the basic strategy employed by Sartre, Husserl, and Merleau-Ponty, but they differ one what they appointed  as a "thing-in-itself". I do think some things have ontology in and of themselves but not all things. In other words, their are necessary and contingent entities --  a sort of cosmological necessity but not nccessarily a god.

Okay, we're on the same page, then. I've never concerned myself with a "cosmological necessity", but I think I now understand where you're coming from.

ubuntuAnyone wrote:
I would be testing the belief, not the ontological status of the object of belief. I'm not leading to a "empiricism can't test itself". I'm basically asking, "If you claim to be empirical about your beleifs, show how you are empirical about your beliefs". It's a test of credulity, not a test of ontology.

Oh, okay. I think I finally get what you mean. You're asking how someone could demonstrate that their beliefs are empirical! Alright.

But of course, you already know the answer: some beliefs are not empirical, even for someone who is largely empirical in his or her thinking. If someone's boyfriend tells them they quit smoking, that doesn't guarantee that the boyfriend will never smoke again.

A more fitting example would be if we wanted to test the efficacy of homeopathic medecine. The claims of homeopathic medicine are, if true, completely falsifying of modern physical chemistry. Not one bit of physical chemistry could stand unfazed if the claims of homeopathy are fact. So would one need to do a test between a homeopathic treatment and a placebo?

No strictly empirical testa is required, as it turns out, because a simple analysis of the claims renders them nonsense. These include things like water having a "memory" of some tincture that the homeopath applied and then diluted, ignoring the "memory" that the water might have of all the fish poo that it would have encountered. But that's a real stretch, considering the idea that a molecule retains any kind of an imprint of anything beyond picoseconds is patently absurd.

So is the above reasoning empirical? Maybe not directly, but it is the use of empirical evidence to reach a conclusion. The large body of evidence available in scientific journals greatly outweighs the assertions of a few practitioners in both specificity and volume, even though no direct test was performed.

Is that the part of my beliefs you were asking about?

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:But of

HisWillness wrote:
But of course, you already know the answer: some beliefs are not empirical, even for someone who is largely empirical in his or her thinking. If someone's boyfriend tells them they quit smoking, that doesn't guarantee that the boyfriend will never smoke again.

True, beliefs do not necessarily have to be empirical, but If I am not claiming to be empirical about the belief, then I should be able to demonstrate how I am empirical.

HisWillness wrote:
A more fitting example would be if we wanted to test the efficacy of homeopathic medecine. The claims of homeopathic medicine are, if true, completely falsifying of modern physical chemistry. Not one bit of physical chemistry could stand unfazed if the claims of homeopathy are fact. So would one need to do a test between a homeopathic treatment and a placebo?

One does not necessarily need a personal test. Reading and accepting the results from empirical tests performed by others without actually performing the tests would at some level be empirical, albeit it is not a personal test, therefore would be belief founded upon empirical tests, although these of course are contingent upon the reliability of the original testers.

HisWillness wrote:
No strictly empirical testa is required, as it turns out, because a simple analysis of the claims renders them nonsense. These include things like water having a "memory" of some tincture that the homeopath applied and then diluted, ignoring the "memory" that the water might have of all the fish poo that it would have encountered. But that's a real stretch, considering the idea that a molecule retains any kind of an imprint of anything beyond picoseconds is patently absurd.

I don't think one would have to perform a test here either, because there are plenty of tests that verify molecules do not retain imprints. Based upon these empirical tests, I can eliminate other ad hoc hypothesis in a Popperian sense.

HisWillness wrote:
So is the above reasoning empirical? Maybe not directly, but it is the use of empirical evidence to reach a conclusion. The large body of evidence available in scientific journals greatly outweighs the assertions of a few practitioners in both specificity and volume, even though no direct test was performed.

Is that the part of my beliefs you were asking about?

Sure...You know what you believe, you say it's empirical, and cite how its empirical.

It does however bother me when people cite the amount of evidence for one thing compared to the amount of evidence for another thing as justification for a belief. The argument goes, "there is more evidence for belief x than belief y, therefore belief x must be true"  --  an ad populum fallacy of sort.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ubuntuAnyone wrote:It does

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

It does however bother me when people cite the amount of evidence for one thing compared to the amount of evidence for another thing as justification for a belief. The argument goes, "there is more evidence for belief x than belief y, therefore belief x must be true"  --  an ad populum fallacy of sort.

Oh, yeah. That's fairly annoying (especially for social science studies). On the other hand, if the evidence is completely overwhelming, like with geophysics, physical chemistry, evolutionary biology, or the molecular structure of DNA, then I'd have to say the evidence is so heavily in favour of the current models that new breakthroughs tend to be tweaks to our understanding, rather than complete re-writes.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

Oh, yeah. That's fairly annoying (especially for social science studies). On the other hand, if the evidence is completely overwhelming, like with geophysics, physical chemistry, evolutionary biology, or the molecular structure of DNA, then I'd have to say the evidence is so heavily in favour of the current models that new breakthroughs tend to be tweaks to our understanding, rather than complete re-writes.

The "weight of evidence" is a better way to put it. Simple number of items of evidence is inadequate, yes - you need to evaluate each item.

If the arguments on one side include one or more very 'strong' ones, and the other side has only equivocal ones at best, it's a 'no-brainer'.

If it is less clear, we may resort to Bayesian analysis, which provides a more rigorous way to combine individual assessment of the strength of each argument or item of evidence.

Saying "therefore belief x must be true" is still not the way one should express the conclusion, even after more careful evaluation - more appropriately "therefore it is likely/very likely/almost certain that A is true, depending on the cumulative weight on each side.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:HisWillness

BobSpence1 wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

The "weight of evidence" is a better way to put it. Simple number of items of evidence is inadequate, yes - you need to evaluate each item.

If the arguments on one side include one or more very 'strong' ones, and the other side has only equivocal ones at best, it's a 'no-brainer'.

If it is less clear, we may resort to Bayesian analysis, which provides a more rigorous way to combine individual assessment of the strength of each argument or item of evidence.

Saying "therefore belief x must be true" is still not the way one should express the conclusion, even after more careful evaluation - more appropriately "therefore it is likely/very likely/almost certain that A is true, depending on the cumulative weight on each side.

Right.