District 9

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
District 9

District 9 is probably one of the best depictions of xenophobia I have seen in a long time. I would recommend the film to anyone, Peter Jackson did an amazing job.

Of course, there will be those that hate it I imagine. It does have a plot. Yeah. You ...know...those things..stories? That are told by events? As in, not just random explosions, and infantile jokes that were old when the pyramids were built?

The humor was not forced, it was organic. The situations were believable, and not aggrivatingly uncharacteristic of how people would react. (One of my largest gripes is inability to relate to characters onscreen as they act completely irrationally, screaming instead of running from something, and just generally being stupid. The characters in this film have believable flaws that are not copouts to cover for poor plot devices)

If you have not seen it yet, you should. It is a movie that leaves lasting impressions. You wouldn't think so at first, but there are just many profound moments that are very telling of the attention to detail and amount of work put in the creation of this film.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
 it looks really good in

it looks really good in the commercials, maybe i'll see it next weekend. but Peter Jackson only produced it(i.e. through a bunch of money behind it), it was actually written and directed by Neill Blamkompf who grew up in Johannesburg.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Watched a review of it on

Watched a review of it on TV last evening. Looked good in the bits they showed, and got very good ratings from the reviewers, who I generally respect. 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Ivon
atheist
Ivon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just got home from

I just got home from watching it and thought it was an excellent film. Movies like this have a way of really pointing out just how evil humanity by nature really is. It didn't take long into the movie until I found myself rooting for the aliens.

Free your mind.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Appears to be the first

Appears to be the first movie in about 2 years that i will pay to see, instead of pirate...  (i think thats a good thing)

What Would Kharn Do?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

This movie going to be a huge pop culture influence.

I mean...come on.

Prawn sex.

...really.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
And the jabs at Bay keep

And the jabs at Bay keep coming ^_^

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:And

The Doomed Soul wrote:

If you don't want barbs thrown at you, don't bang a porcupine.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:The Doomed

jcgadfly wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:

If you don't want barbs thrown at you, don't bang a porcupine.

... since when do porcupines shoot barbs?

What Would Kharn Do?

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good

I liked District 9 and would easily recommend it.  Not perfect, but very good.

GI Joe on the other hand, STAY AWAY!!!

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

You saw GI Joe?

...Why?

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm in the Big Brother

I'm in the Big Brother program and my "little brother" wanted to see it. He liked it Sticking out tongue

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Haven't seen it, but I will

Haven't seen it, but I will at some point. I've heard enough good to be a must see.

Regarding the barbs at Bay, give him his due credit! He's one of the greatest special effects artists of the day!

He just went and got the wrong job...

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.