Naturalism vs. Super-Naturalism

ryancobb
User is offlineOffline
Naturalism vs. Super-Naturalism

Hello all:

If y'all have discussed this topic elsewhere, please point me to the relevant thread!

The question of naturalism strikes me as being the most divisive issue between theists and atheists. (Cue "Thank you, Captain Obvious" responses)  Atheists, obviously, think naturalism is true, while the vast majority of theists think some sort of super-naturalism is true.   So there is no confusion, allow me to define my terms. I would define a naturalist as one who thinks the natural world is “the whole show.” The whole, interlocking event we call Nature is just what there is. It would be possible to believe in some sort of god in this scheme. However, this god would still be part of the show—a naturalistic god, who must follow the laws of Nature, the same as anything else. But I think it safe to say most naturalists are atheists. A super-naturalist simply thinks something exists besides nature. (Or, it might be better to say “beyond” or “behind” nature.) This something is not part of nature. It is not caught up in the natural system; it is separate or other. I also think it safe to say most super-naturalists think this something created nature. Exactly how the super-natural relates to the natural is nebulous. Deists, for example, might claim that no interaction occurs between the natural and the super-natural. A Christian theist would argue that the Super-natural (i.e. God) can and does affect Nature.  I think the question of naturalism causes much unnecessary friction. Consider the question of miracles. If naturalism is true, then no miracles could occur. We can rule out miracles from the start. If everything is a part of nature, then nothing can interfere with nature. Indeed, nothing exists which could possibly do a miracle. It would be pure nonsense to refer to an event as miraculous. So, an atheist thinks a Christian simply stupid for believing any miracle might have occurred, when really they simply have a fundamental philosophical disagreement.  Finally, the point of the thread:                1)      Are you a naturalist or a super-naturalist?                2)      Why do you hold that position?          3)      Do you agree with my categorization of your position? (E.g., if you are a super-naturalist, have I wrongly described your beliefs?)  Thanks,Ryan P.S. This thread might go better in the philosophy forum. Please feel free to move it!

P.P.S.  I suck at forum code! Sorry!

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you're being had. --Michael Crichton

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock wrote:Quote:Cut

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Quote:
Cut the nonsense; what do you mean by "supernatural"?

Not subject to the laws of nature.

So, how is that not just another euphemism for ignorance?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock wrote:What do

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
What do you mean "discover"?  As in, if something is perceived with any one of the five senses, then it is discovered?

I mean "discovered". It's a plain English word. Here, I mean also indirect as well as direct evidence. So no, not just the senses.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
I'm just saying that materialistic naturalism is irrational.  What's the problem?

Well yeah, the way you frame it. What I'm hearing from you is that materialistic naturalism is the belief that human beings know everything and nothing simultaneously. Of course that's ridiculous.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Quote:
Even with low-grade retail electronics like we're using to communicate, there's still a fair amount of consistency in the behaviour of the universe at the very small and very large levels. It keeps working the way that it does, over and over again, and somehow you want there to be another something else (about which you can have no information, strangely) instead.

Actually, I have a lot of information, as it was revealed in scripture.

Yeah, I heard they did really well making computers in the middle ages with the blueprints found in scripture. Oh, wait ...

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
The uniformity of nature has nothing to do with materialistic naturalism.

If you say so. Your version of naturalism seems pretty silly, I'll give you that.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
A supernatural thing would create the world ex nihilo, create man in his image, and offer man salvation even after man decides to rebel and falls under his righteous condemnation. 

Such a thing would lay the foundations for ethics, rationality, and essentially all of existence.  It would also offer everlasting life for those who choose to put their faith and trust in him.

You know this because you read it in a single book, and you don't need to confirm it at all, apparently. While that's good enough for you, it doesn't quite do it for me.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Because only the supernatural can account for the larger spheres of life that science has nothing to do with, such as the value and sanctity of human life, the purpose of existence, and absolute morality. 

Of course, if you deny that any of these things exist, then it is a moot point to you.  But God really has no obligation to reveal himself to you within your parameters. He does not bow to you.

Here's the problem: I can say he does bow to me, and we both have equally dubious sources. He also wears green pants on weekends.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Quote:
What other kind of evidence do you suggest I entertain? Wild conjecture? Bald assertions? Appeals to emotion?

1. Argument from Cosmological Necessity, etc.

A simple "yes" would have sufficed.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Quote:

So none of this seems strangely convenient to you? You really want to believe in a fictional character, so you figure he's the one exceptional case? Why? Just because?

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Quote:
What do creationists do? I mean, other than rationalize away legitimate scientific inquiry in favour of anything written in a 2,000 year old book?

Just pointing out that simply because people disagree on an issue does not mean that the proof is insufficient.  It just means that some people have not accepted the proof.

By "proof", I guess you mean evidence. Life certainly does mutate and follow a process of selection -- that much is certain. So we'll have to make sure that the people who don't accept that get a better education.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock wrote:Let's

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

Let's see:  We have 100% certainty of the consistency of logic.  We have 100% certainty of the spatiality and temporality of the distinct materials, both accounting for the possibility of physical events such as the one in your example.  We have 100% certainty of the existence of the self.  We have 100% certainty that objects will adhere to a structure of substance, accident, relation, modality, quantity, etc. 

As I see it, the only thing you can be 100% certain of is that you think and that you exist in some form. Your logic and your senses could be fooled by an incredibly powerful, malevolent, supernatural entity, like the one in Descartes' First Meditation.

Edit:

Quote:
A supernatural thing would create the world ex nihilo, create man in his image, and offer man salvation even after man decides to rebel and falls under his righteous condemnation. 

Such a thing would lay the foundations for ethics, rationality, and essentially all of existence.  It would also offer everlasting life for those who choose to put their faith and trust in him.

Yes, but how, in what way? I mean, is it possible to expand on the characteristics of this thing or is the only explanation of it 'something that can't be explained.' How does this supernatural thing have man's image if it is immaterial? How can it create the world ex nihilo? Why does it have the right to pass judgement? Also, what evidence is there for it? I don't mean god of the gaps or ad hoc arguments, but physical evidence. How can we even know that such a being exists? You believe in a God that is constantly involved in his Creation, right? How can we detect his involvement? How can we conclude that this isn't all just regular matter and energy? 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote:Lord_of_Rock

KSMB wrote:

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Quote:

So, how is that not just another euphemism for ignorance?

No kidding. We know nothing about things outside of nature, but let's make up something that could exist outside of that, and then just run with it.

Oh, and it's "real."

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
What do you mean "discover"?  As in, if something is perceived with any one of the five senses, then it is discovered?

I mean "discovered". It's a plain English word. Here, I mean also indirect as well as direct evidence. So no, not just the senses.

"Discover" is a fuzzy term.

Quote:
Well yeah, the way you frame it. What I'm hearing from you is that materialistic naturalism is the belief that human beings know everything and nothing simultaneously. Of course that's ridiculous.

Of course I never said that.  I've clearly defined it and adequately cited sources.

Quote:
Yeah, I heard they did really well making computers in the middle ages with the blueprints found in scripture. Oh, wait ...

So documents from antiquity are disavowed by you automatically?

Quote:
If you say so. Your version of naturalism seems pretty silly, I'll give you that.

It's not my version.

Quote:
You know this because you read it in a single book, and you don't need to confirm it at all, apparently. While that's good enough for you, it doesn't quite do it for me.

Actually, the Bible isn't a single book.  It's 66 books.

And I've given you a link to over 40 different proofs.  Are you going to tell me that you've read them all in less than 24 hours? 

Quote:
Here's the problem: I can say he does bow to me, and we both have equally dubious sources. He also wears green pants on weekends.

Here's the problem:  "Dubious source" is just your opinion.  I really do not care what your opinion is.

Quote:
So none of this seems strangely convenient to you? You really want to believe in a fictional character, so you figure he's the one exceptional case? Why? Just because?

I'm telling you what "supernatural" means.  You've asked.  I provided.

Quote:
By "proof", I guess you mean evidence. Life certainly does mutate and follow a process of selection -- that much is certain. So we'll have to make sure that the people who don't accept that get a better education.

But the creationist may very well say that you are uneducated. 

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote: I don't

butterbattle wrote:
 I don't mean god of the gaps or ad hoc arguments, but physical evidence.

So the only evidence you'll accept for God is physical evidence, even though God is a non-physical entity and that if he was physical, then he couldn't be what he is defined to be?

Yeah.  That's being partial.  LOL

See the link I've provided with many different proofs, none of which are "god of the gaps" or "ad hoc arguments".

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
"Discover" is a fuzzy term.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Quote:
What I'm hearing from you is that materialistic naturalism is the belief that human beings know everything and nothing simultaneously. Of course that's ridiculous.

Of course I never said that.  I've clearly defined it and adequately cited sources.

So in your Post #4, when you said that naturalism means the claim of knowing everything, and that it also means not having any knowledge, you meant something else?

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Quote:

So documents from antiquity are disavowed by you automatically?

That's not really addressing what I said, but documents from antiquity should be taken with a grain of salt, yes.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Quote:

And I've given you a link to over 40 different proofs.  Are you going to tell me that you've read them all in less than 24 hours?

No, but I've seen them all before. What, you want me to refute all of them right now?

Wait, is this Metacrock?

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Quote:

Here's the problem:  "Dubious source" is just your opinion.  I really do not care what your opinion is.

What separates the bible from fiction? Given that recent archeological work has failed to unearth any evidence of the Exodus, we at least know that one part of the bible wasn't an accurate account.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
I'm telling you what "supernatural" means.  You've asked.  I provided.

But your definition implies ignorance. It's everything outside of what we know. So it doesn't help very much.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Quote:

But the creationist may very well say that you are uneducated.

The creationist would be right: I'm woefully uneducated. Evolution is still a good description of what happens with our biosphere. Creationism provides nothing in the way of an accurate description of nature at all.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Yes, massive amounts.

For example? 

The immediate effects on consciousness, cognition, self-identity, personality, memory, etc, any aspect of individual mental, even 'spiritual' identity and nature you can think of, which so often follow significant damage, disruption, disease, major physical stimulation of the brain, or the effects of chemicals such as psycho-active drugs. Not all aspects of consciousness in all cases, of course, but there is truly massive evidence of this sort.

fMRI (brain scanner) experiments, where patterns of activity are correlated with the responses of the subject to a conversation with the researcher.

Experiments which correlate verbal reports from a subjects asked to perform various actions while subject to various sensory inputs (visual, aural, touch), with direct measurements of neural activity in parts of the brain already identified as involved in initiating muscle movement and responding to various sensory inputs. Including observations which appear to show neural activity directly related to moving an arm or hand occurring a short but significant time before the subject reports the intention to move the limb.

Just for starters.

Quote:

Quote:
I did not say I am unsure of "the law of excluded middle". It is not a contingent fact, it explicitly follows from the necessary assumptions or axioms of binary (true/false) logic. It really is a corrolary of the basic 'Law of Non-contradiction'. I think of it not so much as a 'law' in the scientific sense, but an essential requirement for the propositions to which basic binary logic can be applied. They must be stated in such a way that only two outcomes are valid. If a proposition allows for a middle state, it has to be re-formulated, or multi-valued logic used.

And by definition of the terms, of course there is a dichotomy between 'right' and 'wrong'. That doesn't mean that we can necessarily be certain about the appropriate label to apply to any particular action, but we can be 100% certain that if an action is judged 'right', that absolutely implies that refraining from the action must be 'wrong', for logical consistency.

Okay. 

Now in light of your point that we do not need 100% certainty, can you explain how empirical observation and codification is possible without a priori principles such as the law of excluded middle?

Why can you not grasp, despite my repeated explanation, that when I say we do not have or need 100% certainty for useful knowledge, that does not mean I am applying that to all propositions, or asserting that there are no essential 'assumptions' or principles for coherent thought.

Deductive, definitional statements such as the "Laws of thought" (Identity, Non-contradiction, Excluded middle) are 100% certain and need to be formally recognized as part of constructing and elaborating more complex logical principles and arguments.

Even without explicitly being aware of such principles, coherent thought is still possible, so long as the violations are not too severe, the logic not too 'fuzzy'.

The "law of excluded middle" is a poor choice. It is 100% certain, because it is an absolute requirement for a system of binary logic, but not for other forms of logic, as I have already explained.

"Law of Non-contradiction" is more fundamental. And yes, it is an essential principle behind any discourse, since it (along with the Law of Identity) expresses the fact that there are distinguishable parts of reality, which allow us to refer to some sub-set which constitutes A, and the rest of reality, which is (not A). Any 'reality which has any form of structure, ie is not a perfectly uniform field or substance pervading all, immediately implies these two principles. Since we do not and could not exist as separate entities in such a Universe, they are obviously valid as codifications of this basic minimal requirement for a universe such as ours.

I repeat that the LEM is not so much a Law, as part of the definition of the elements of binary logic, ie every well-formed statement in basic logic is either True or False. One has to exclude statements such as "This sentence is false", which are neither True nor False, but Undecideable.

I am comfortable to fully accept such principles, but my position is that we should always seek to keep our essential foundational assumptions to a minimum. 

There endeth your lesson in principles of logical thought for today.

Quote:

Quote:
No, wrong again.

We can be 100% certain that the results of valid arguments in deductive systems such as logic and mathematics are 100% consistent with the axioms of the system, but that neither implies or requires that those axioms actually correspond to reality.

What do you mean, "correspond with reality"?  The law of non-contradiction states that nothing can both be and not be at the same time.  Are you saying that in reality, a rock could possibly be, at the same time, a non-rock?

Since our universe does have distinguishable objects, including ourselves, as I explained above, the Law of Non-Contradiction is simply a codification of the most fundamental 'observations', such as that we exist. It, and the LoI, is not really in quite the same category as other axioms.

Your example is not a good or clear one. A rock can simultaneously be in several distinct over-lapping categories. Quantum Uncertainty actually does allow the possibility, by some interpretations, that an object may actually be in a superposition of states, which could conceivably include the state of non-existence, or 'a non-rock'.

It would be better put as: an entity cannot simultaneously be one defined part (A) of reality, and all of reality that is not included in that definition, ie (not A).

Here endeth part 2 of your lesson in logic for today.

Quote:

Quote:
All that logic can demonstrate is whether some conclusion is or is not consistent with the initial assumptions. Only observation of reality itself can check the initial assumptions, if not with absolute proof necessarily, but at least to assess the confidence we are warranted in regarding them. If the conclusion is not consistent with some other well established observation, then the logical argument tells us that either (or both) the initial assumptions and the conflicting observation are mistaken in some way.

I'm not disagreeing that logic alone can't produce knowledge.  My only point was that we need 100% certainty in order to even begin abstracting propositions from the external reality that we experience.  You have affirmed that we can be 100% certain that logic will be consistent within its own system, which is required for us to take any experience of a particular and codify it in a language or mode of discourse.

Therefore, the relationship between us and the objects that we are sense are actually mediated by knowledge that we already have.  For example, we have the innate ability to discern substance, accident, unity, plurality, etc.  These are all judgments that objects are subjected as soon as they are given to us.  More essentially, these are conceptual realities, themselves universally necessary and not derived from experience.

I have no real problem with those statements.

Quote:

Quote:
We do not need 100% certainty.

"if there is movement in the grass over there, and there is no wind, it probably means there is an animal hiding there, so I should be careful, because I know their are lions around, and they kill creatures like me, and I don't like that idea, because it seems to be unpleasant". No 100%'s require there.

Let's see:  We have 100% certainty of the consistency of logic.  We have 100% certainty of the spatiality and temporality of the distinct materials, both accounting for the possibility of physical events such as the one in your example.  We have 100% certainty of the existence of the self.  We have 100% certainty that objects will adhere to a structure of substance, accident, relation, modality, quantity, etc. 

Of course - as I have repeatedly said, we do have 100% certainty of many things, especially such broad principles, but that is not required for practical and useful observation and choice of response. And we do not have, or require, in such a scenario as I described, anything like 100% certainty of many important specifics of the situation.

Quote:

Quote:
OK  - I didn't think you had presented any, but I couldn't be sure that something you said was intended at least tangentially as a proof, since I find many of your responses almost pure non-sequiturs, so there is definitely a communication problem here.

I would be curious if you think there are good arguments for God, but I am not gonna hold my breath for a proof...

Too many to mention.

I skimmed thru your list. Pretty much the sort of thing I expected. No actual proofs, of course. All riddled with unjustified assumptions and leaps of logic.

EDIT: Those are all arguments for God, not proofs.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock wrote:So the

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

So the only evidence you'll accept for God is physical evidence, even though God is a non-physical entity and that if he was physical, then he couldn't be what he is defined to be?

Give the man a prize.

That's the problem, I guess. Since it seems premature to speculate on the non-physical -- seeing as we know exactly nothing about anything non-physical, much less what that means -- the evidence available for any non-physical creatures is sorely lacking.

It's difficult to have non-physical evidence, and that's what butter's pointing out. Of course, there's indirect evidence, like with the motion of the planets. For that, we have math. Of course, it doesn't seem like we could have any math that applies to the non-physical, because there's no way for us to know how the non-physical behaves.

In fact, it seems as though the non-physical behaves just like figments of the imagination.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Those are

BobSpence1 wrote:

Those are all arguments for God, not proofs.

It seems as though some of the arguments (like the fine tuning argument) aren't really for God, per se, but for a "something". Some of them present the possibility of a god-like thing, and some happily introduce God as a priori knowledge, then barrel through to the conclusion that God is the thing they were talking about originally.

Really convincing stuff, is what I'm saying. For added entertainment, just replace the word "God" with "God's sister", and you can have an excellent time arguing the existence of God's sister.

I haven't given God's sister a name yet, but she deserves one, considering how ignored she is.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock wrote:So the

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

Do you have any non-physical evidence then? Lol.

Quote:
See the link I've provided with many different proofs, none of which are "god of the gaps" or "ad hoc arguments".

Oh man, there's so many. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:BobSpence1

HisWillness wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Those are all arguments for God, not proofs.

It seems as though some of the arguments (like the fine tuning argument) aren't really for God, per se, but for a "something". Some of them present the possibility of a god-like thing, and some happily introduce God as a priori knowledge, then barrel through to the conclusion that God is the thing they were talking about originally.

Really convincing stuff, is what I'm saying. For added entertainment, just replace the word "God" with "God's sister", and you can have an excellent time arguing the existence of God's sister.

I haven't given God's sister a name yet, but she deserves one, considering how ignored she is.

Yeah, I was definitely being excessively kind to describe them as "arguments for God", most of them would have difficulty qualifying for even that description. Most seemed to arguments for there being gaps in our understanding or knowledge, with the implicit or explicit naked assumption that only a 'God' could possibly fill the gap. Or else just naked appeal to personal prejudice or preference, or arguments from ignorance. Etc, etc.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:ryancobb

BobSpence1 wrote:

ryancobb wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room

John Searle says it best, Magus.  I would argue computers don't solve problems, either. 

It has always amazed me that anyone can take that old "Chinese Room" thing seriously - it proves absolutely nothing, except that John Searle is so hostile to the idea of 'Artificial Intelligence' he cannot see how pointless it is.

Bingo. The chinese room analogy creates a contradiction that every proponent of the argument ignores - if the person in the room knows all the rules for translation, then he knows Chinese. Period.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
ryancobb wrote:"Supernatural

ryancobb wrote:

"Supernatural - defined as 'not nature' or 'above nature' or 'beyond nature'. So again, what's left over for it to be? " --From the above link

I think the above argument begs the question, by assuming "nature" is all there is.   

You didn't read the argument.  I deal with this response in the argument. Look:

Counter Argument: "To support your claim, one must introduce an additional supposition -- namely, that the physical universe (nature) is all that exists. This supposition is unproven and unsubstantiated."

Response: No such supposition is required. Materialism does not rule out your view a priori - your own definition rules out providing any  ontology for your terms!. You are claiming that there is something beyond materialism, something transcendent, etc. Seeing as your definition rules out any possible positive terms, the burden is therefore on you to present 'another way', contra materialism, to render your definitions coherent. If you want to hold that the term 'immateriality' or 'supernatural' make any sense, you must provide either an ontology or a universe of discourse. If you cannot do this, if all you have is a negative definition, without any universe of discourse, then you must concede that your terms are stripped of any actual meaning... you must concede that your terms can only point to 'nothing'. This is a problem of your own making: ergo your attempt to blame your opponent is just a sign of the weakness of your position.

AND, the related argument/response:

Related Counter Argument: "Materialism begs the question that all there is, is matter."

My Response: You've got it backwards: you're begging the question that there IS something beyond materialism in order to make this very charge. Those who build their case for immateriality by arguing that materialism rules out their claim a priori implicitly concede that there is no way to build a positive case for your claim.

I even predict that most respondents to the argument will reply with arguments that I specifically refute in the argument.

Look:

Review:

I only get two types of responses.

1) Reassertions of the very points already refuted here.

2) Personal attacks

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock wrote:1.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

1. Argument from Cosmological Necessity

2. Everything Has to have a Reason

3. Fire in the Equations

4. Fine Tuning

5. From Religious Instinct

6. From Religious a priori

7. From Mystical experience

8. Thomas Reid Argument

9. Argument from the Sublime

10. Existential Argument.

11. Feeling of Utter Dependence

12. Hartshorne's Modal Argument

13. From Perfection.

14. Plantinga's Possible Worlds

15. Reity

16. Transcendental Signifier

17. Tillich's Ground of Being.

18. Metacrock's Version of Ground of Being.

19. Reverse Quantum

20. Garrett's Argument from Logical Necessity.

21. Argument from Consciousness.

22. Moral Argument.

23. Argument from Moral Judgment and Abstract Values.

24. The Berkeley_Goswami Argument.

25. Argument From Temporal Begining.

26. Eligance of God hypothesis.

27. Hartshorne's Deep Empiricism.

28. Near Death Experience.

29. Why anything at all?

30. Positive Epistemic Status.

31. Confluence of Proper function and Reliability.

32. Argument From Induction.

33. Rejection of Universal Skepticism.

34. Hick's Argument from Personal Origin.

35. Materialism Vanishes

36. Argument from Logical Necessity

37. God Pod

38. Miracles

39. Argument from Arbitrary necessity

40. Modes of being

41. Cumulative Case.

42. Koon's Cosmological Argument.

http://www.doxa.ws/meta_crock/listGodarguments.html

What is a list of very bad (and repetitive) arguments, Alex?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:What is a

todangst wrote:

Looks like we have a Daily Double.

My favourite pattern in those is still the arguments that start something like:

God exists a priori. Now, on to show that God exists.

Gold.

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:So in your

HisWillness wrote:

So in your Post #4, when you said that naturalism means the claim of knowing everything, and that it also means not having any knowledge, you meant something else?

No.  I said that those were assumptions necessarily implicated by naturalism, not that those where what naturalism was.

Quote:
That's not really addressing what I said, but documents from antiquity should be taken with a grain of salt, yes.

Then do you believe that anything in antiquity ever happened?

Quote:
No, but I've seen them all before. What, you want me to refute all of them right now?

No.  I just want you to admit that you are lying, as many of the arguments were written by Metacrock himself.  So unless you've already been to his website, I really doubt you've seen most of these. 

Now you could argue that all of these arguments are variations of ones that you've already seen, in which case you are simply throwing out a red herring and not really addressing the actual arguments.

I'm sure you could come up with some Mickey Mouse counter-argument for any one of those proofs.  The point is that there is better reason to believe that you have not read any of these arguments, for the reasons I've previously mentioned.

Quote:
What separates the bible from fiction?

Umm, how about the fact that it was never purported to be written as fiction (unlike say, Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter) and that in accordance with the standards of historical authenticity, the bible passes with flying colors?

For example, the earliest manuscripts were found between a mere 30-150 years after the books were written.  Other documents, such as the works of Tacitus, were found thousands of years after they were written.

We also have over 30,000 original manuscripts.

I can also point out the prophecies in the Old Testament which came true and were documented in the New Testament.

Quote:
Given that recent archeological work has failed to unearth any evidence of the Exodus, we at least know that one part of the bible wasn't an accurate account.

http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/_christian/_articles/authenticity_of_the_bible.htm

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/8449/two.html

Quote:
But your definition implies ignorance. It's everything outside of what we know. So it doesn't help very much.

First of all, who is "we"?  You are referring to a particular group of people who already accept methodological naturalism.

I would say that I know that God exists and I also know that people, at the most fundamental level, are spiritual entities.

Therefore, by saying "it's outside everything that we know", you are begging the question.

Furthermore, as I've demonstrated, materialistic naturalism necessarily excludes knowledge.  Therefore, you could not claim to know anything.

Quote:
The creationist would be right: I'm woefully uneducated. Evolution is still a good description of what happens with our biosphere. Creationism provides nothing in the way of an accurate description of nature at all.

Do you intentionally miss the point?  I've never agreed or disagreed that creationism is true.  The point of my example was to show that it is ridiculous of you to say that there is no proof of God, otherwise we would all be theists.  That's like saying that there is no proof of evolution because then we would all be proponents of evolution.  Here is what you said:

"Look, if we found that there were some kind of etherial super-being somehow, and we had empirical evidence, then I guess we wouldn't be arguing whether or not such a thing exists."

There is evidence for God.  I offered you over 40 different proofs and you've rejected them all, most likely without even reading them.

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:The

BobSpence1 wrote:

The immediate effects on consciousness, cognition, self-identity, personality, memory, etc, any aspect of individual mental, even 'spiritual' identity and nature you can think of, which so often follow significant damage, disruption, disease, major physical stimulation of the brain, or the effects of chemicals such as psycho-active drugs. Not all aspects of consciousness in all cases, of course, but there is truly massive evidence of this sort.

That doesn't prove that mental states are immaterial.  It only proves that states which we may conceive to be immaterial entities are affected by the states of other physical things, which could mean nothing more than that these mental states are either equivalent to the physical entities that get affected or they are physical entities in their own right which have a perceived causal relationship to certain parts of the physical brain.

Quote:
fMRI (brain scanner) experiments, where patterns of activity are correlated with the responses of the subject to a conversation with the researcher.

And that proves the immateriality of mental states, how?

Quote:
Experiments which correlate verbal reports from a subjects asked to perform various actions while subject to various sensory inputs (visual, aural, touch), with direct measurements of neural activity in parts of the brain already identified as involved in initiating muscle movement and responding to various sensory inputs. Including observations which appear to show neural activity directly related to moving an arm or hand occurring a short but significant time before the subject reports the intention to move the limb.

Lapses in time do not prove the existence of immaterial entities.  It may be that the neural activity associated with the moving of a body part acts uses up less time than the time it takes for the initiation of muscle movements in our face and the vibration of our vocal folds to produce sound, which is the physical activity involved in the subject's reporting by speaking.

So no, the existence of immaterial entities has never been proved using the methodologies which you are already biased toward.

Quote:
I did not say I am unsure of "the law of excluded middle".

But you did say that 100% certainty is not required for knowledge in the practical sphere and you are just wrong.

Quote:
Why can you not grasp, despite my repeated explanation, that when I say we do not have or need 100% certainty for useful knowledge, that does not mean I am applying that to all propositions, or asserting that there are no essential 'assumptions' or principles for coherent thought.

I do understand what you are saying.  My point is, the empiricism that you so explicitly endorse requires an a priori set of assumptions which do not derive from experience.  Otherwise, empirical observation is NOT POSSIBLE.  Therefore, yes, 100% certainty IS required.

I am NOT saying that empirical knowledge is useless.  I'm just saying that even coherent judgments of probabilities require some degree of 100% certainty and that is something that materialistic naturalism cannot account for because if it is true that everything is physical (which, as I've demonstrated, is a necessary assumption of materialistic naturalism), then even those a priori propositions which we ascribe to prior to any empirical observation would be physical.  Yet it would follow they would be subject to physical laws, which themselves are understood inductively and thus we have no certainty

So yes, natural science is useful in its own sphere, but it is a slave to philosophy and I have just demonstrated that to be the case.

Quote:
Since our universe does have distinguishable objects, including ourselves, as I explained above, the Law of Non-Contradiction is simply a codification of the most fundamental 'observations', such as that we exist. It, and the LoI, is not really in quite the same category as other axioms.

Then you are doing nothing more than making the LNC an inductive principle based on empirical observation, while at the same time affirming that it is a necessary property of empirical reality.  But then it comes back to why you get to cherry pick which properties of reality are "fundamental".

Quote:
Your example is not a good or clear one. A rock can simultaneously be in several distinct over-lapping categories. Quantum Uncertainty actually does allow the possibility, by some interpretations, that an object may actually be in a superposition of states, which could conceivably include the state of non-existence, or 'a non-rock'.

I could invent a language where "rock" is defined as something other than what we normally define to be a rock and then declare that a rock is both a rock and a non-rock.  Truth in reality has nothing to do with formal systems. 

Quote:
Here endeth part 2 of your lesson in logic for today.

Not that you have anything to offer in that area. 

Or do you know everything about everything?

Quote:
I have no real problem with those statements.

I'll hold you to that.

Quote:
I skimmed thru your list. Pretty much the sort of thing I expected. No actual proofs, of course. All riddled with unjustified assumptions and leaps of logic.

EDIT: Those are all arguments for God, not proofs.

Simply because you are not persuaded by the arguments does not mean that they do not prove the existence of God.

It just means that you are stubborn.

Zaq
atheist
Zaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boy was I bored today.

I got nothin' better to due till my dad gets home, so let's give this a shot.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

3. Fire in the Equations

4. Fine Tuning

8. Thomas Reid Argument

13. From Perfection.

15. Reity

19. Reverse Quantum

22. Moral Argument.

29. Why anything at all?

35. Materialism Vanishes

37. God Pod

38. Miracles

40. Modes of being

41. Cumulative Case.

1. Based on the false assumptions of every event needing a cause and of the impossibility of an infinite regress

2. (It's "New!" )  Assumes something "beyond empirical" in order to support a "beyond empirical" being.  A.k.a question-begging

3. Assumes a "before the universe" which may actually be inconsistant.  False assumptions in 1 and 4.

4. Ignores the observed fact that complexity can be built up from non-complex items and rules

5. Seriously?  An argument from instinct?  This is just silly.  Equates evolution with "random chance" (as usual), and part e (that religion promotes health) is not actually supported by any research.

6. Argument from NOMA.  See my earlier post in this thread as to why "beyond science" is ultimately meaningless.

7. Assumption 2 is probably false and at least non-demonstrable.  Ultimately it's a claim that science will never be capable of explaining mystical experiences, which is not supported in any way.  Again see my earlier post with regards to using supernatural as a causal explanation.

8. Assertion 3 is false.  We know the "real world" exists due to independent confirmation.  If I see a chair, I can ask another person if he sees that chair, and if we both see it then I can believe it's real.  Also this is more an argument that mystical experiences are real without actually arguing that their supposed sources are real.

9. Question-begging.  The definition of "sublime" used assumes transcendence but is then used to "prove" transcendence.  Refutation is that sublime as defined doesn't exist.  Also this is basically a dressed-up "things are beautiful so god exists," when there are evolutionary explanations for our perception of beauty.

10. Um... he actually admits that the argument doesn't prove anything.  'Nuff said.

11. Argument from emotion.  People feel like there's something beyond us, thus there must be something beyond us.  Dismisses the possibility of natural explanation without any reason.  Also, I find this quite telling:

"Now don't' think by any stretch of the imagination that I think this proves the existence of God! No, no way. It is not "proof," it is freedom from the need to prove!"

What an intellectual cop-out.

12. Assumption 3 is not well-supported.  In fact, the idea of a being that exists necessarily contradicts the "everything has a cause" so often found in arguments from cosmology.  Also, even if this argument works it only really demonstrates that something with the property "exists necessarily" must exist without actually demonstrating any other properties.  Furthermore the idea of "exists necessarily" may itself be flawed, and is also a case of special pleading.  See Kant's discussions on existence as a non-predicate.

13. Linked me to the above, so see 12

14. Argument from bad math.  Assumes that the set of greatness has a maximum without any evidence or support, which is especially suspicious when we talk about greatness in an infinitude of possible worlds.  Also, look up the term "supremum."

15. Fails to consider the ideas of the infinite regress and of causeless events creating non-contingent yet non-necessary existence.  Also fails to attribute god-like attributes (most notably agency) to the concluded necessarily existent thing.

16. P6 is just silly.  Just because "God" is one possible description of TS does not mean God = TS.  TS's function may be unique (though it might not.  Why must there be ONE ultimate law and not multiple?) the idea of God tacks on many other functions and properties that differentiate it from other TSes.  The fact that TS's function is unique does not mean that possible TSes are unique.

17. 2 does not follow from 1.  Suppose instead of nothingness we have two existent things, each thing's existence being contingent on the other.  They support each other rather than being self-supported.  Also ultimately results in "we feel the need to devote ourselves religiously to a supposed being, thus that being must exist."

18. Utter nonsense.  See my many previous objections to the special-pleading of necessary existence.  Proposition 3 is just plain dumb, and marks this as an argument from simile.  God is like being, being exists, thus God exists.  Just plain dumb.

19. 1a is false.  Materialism is based on material things not cause/effect.  1b is also false provided the something from nothing is itself material.  1c is false as well, God was expelled from science due to lack of evidence rather than anything about causality.  3 contradicts 2b.  This argument is just full of false

20. The last paragraph doesn't follow from anything he said before it.  In fact it's the first time the word "decision" made an appearance.

21. Premise 1 not supported.   4 is false, gravity is an excellent organizing principle without a mind.

22. 2 is false.  Study game theory. 3 is silly because behavior is governed by our brains, so if evolution explains moral behavior then it explains moral ideas.

23. 4 fails.  Cooperation isn't the goal of morality explained by genetics, it's the means.  The goal is survival and reproduction.  Again study game theory.  Re. 6, killing millions of Jews can certainly be called immoral by evolutionary and game theory means.

24. (it's "New" and revised!) Ignores the idea that one part of the universe could collapse the wave-function of another part and vice-versa.  Also a quantum observer doesn't necessarily need to be conscious and the information available from an observation doesn't need to ever be known by any being for it to collapse a wavefunction.  The fact that one could tell which path a photon took is enough to collapse a wavefunction even if we don't actually determine the path.

25. 5 makes no sense.  "Come to be" implies a previous time in which the thing in question did not exist.  Applying this statement to time itself doesn't work.  There is no time in which time itself did not exist, so time did not "come to be."  Also kinda an argument from bad math.  We can have a limit to how much time is in the past without having a first time.  Look up "infimum."

26. 3 is false because the god hypothesis doesn't provide predictive power.  Science does not require faith.  Scientists referred to God not out of necessity but because for so long not referring to God could get you killed.

27. Postmodernism, wtf?  The idea that only an orderly world is intelligible is ridiculous, and even more ridiculous is that the world could only be orderly with a "soul" or a God.   Gravity doesn't have a soul but it sure orders the world.  Also learn some thermodynamics and chaos mechanics.

28. Simple explanation.  Upon being revived, the brain has to try and make sense of what happened, which results in retroactive memory creation.  Just throwing a possibility out there.  Also, this is not an argument for the existence of God.  You can be an atheist and still believe in an afterlife.

29. Simple answer: Nothing is an unstable state.  Snarky answer: Why not? Complicated answer: Something about quantum fluctuations.  Also rehashes some arguemtns from morality, again without any reference to game theory.

30. Wtf?  This is just an argument from design.  See evolution.  Eye problem was solved long ago.  Language has a clear evolutionary advantage and we see pre-language tendancies in pack animals.

31. This is an argument (a rather poor one) against science but not for God.  Also brings up morality again.  Seriously, learn some game theory.

32. This argument is basically: If theism is true then we have good reason to believe induction works.  However, to work this backwards in an attempt to arrive at a verification of theism is making the converse error.

33. Converse error again.

34. Special pleading.  Let's just claim that those things that would be problems for God just don't apply to him, even though they apply to everything else.

35. Again not an argument for God, but rather one against naturalism.  Misconstrues naturalism.  See my earlier post for a better definition of naturalism/supernaturalism.  Ignores the fact that most atheists reject God due to lack of evidence rather than any cause/effect basis.

36. See above

37. Again equates evolution with random chance.  The "only the word 'God'" doesn't make any sense and is not supported by the presented data, nor does it fit with the fact that we have more than one language.  This argument is basically "people have a mental reaction to the word 'God' and thus God exists," but I could just as easily argue that "people have a mental reaction to the word 'unicorns' and thus unicorns exist."

38. Recent studies of prayer indicate that it doesn't help recovery and may even hinder it.  Also parayer working does not imply God's existance.  It could fit well into positive-thought frameworks without any gods.

39. 2 is unsupported.  Also this argument is just a rehash of an earlier one.

40. 4 does not imply 5.  The actuality of the concept could be impossible rather than definite.  Also only an argument for a necessarily existent thing without regards to other god-like properties.

41. This is just a presentation of multiple arguments that I've already refuted

42. His assertion that QM is not an exception links to something entirely irrelevent.  The fact that quantum fluctuations don't come from nothing doesn't mean that they're uncaused.  Ignores the idea of infinite causal regress.  Also only argues the need for an uncaused first cause without demonstrating other god-like properties.

Questions for Theists:
http://silverskeptic.blogspot.com/2011/03/consistent-standards.html

I'm a bit of a lurker. Every now and then I will come out of my cave with a flurry of activity. Then the Ph.D. program calls and I must fall back to the shadows.

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
Zaq wrote:I got nothin'

Zaq wrote:

LOL

You are either a little kid or an adult living at home with his mommy and daddy.

I wouldn't rule out either, since the latter actually applies to the owner of this website.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whoa, Zaq, you actually

Whoa, Zaq, you actually responded to them all! I kind of wanted to, but there were so many that I was intimated by the thought of the amount of time it would take.

Quote:
LOL

You are either a little kid or an adult living at home with his mommy and daddy.

I wouldn't rule out either, since the latter actually applies to the owner of this website.

A personal attack.....groovy.

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock wrote:Zaq

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

Zaq wrote:

LOL

In other words... You have no way of refuting his refutation so you go after the writer. 

It is irrelevant to the discussion that he/she is either a little kid or an adult.  If it would make you feel better I could copy and paste the arguments presented (with permission of the poster) so you don't have to feel like you were refuted by a child.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

Metacrock (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
good arguments

todangst wrote:

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

3. Fire in the Equations

4. Fine Tuning

8. Thomas Reid Argument

13. From Perfection.

15. Reity

19. Reverse Quantum

22. Moral Argument.

29. Why anything at all?

35. Materialism Vanishes

37. God Pod

38. Miracles

40. Modes of being

41. Cumulative Case.

no they are actualy very good arguments. The problem is you don't know what you are talking about. I am not going to get into a ping contest. If you want to debate my arugments let's pick a formal setting and get some reules i will kick your ass. you do not know what you aer talking about. These are splendid arguments, you don't know what you are talking about. The atheist mentality is one of angry and hate. you are so carried away with your back patting ideology of supiroiority and scientism that you are way too arrogant to think objuectivley about anything that isn't your little reductionist ideology.

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote:Lord_of_Rock

Magus wrote:

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

Zaq wrote:

LOL

In other words... You have no way of refuting his refutation so you go after the writer. 

Not at all.

I just find humor in these weekend atheist evangelicals who turn out to be little kiddies living off their parents.  You would think that these would be people who really are passionate about the issue of religious oppression (or at least the religious oppression that exists in their imagination), yet one can observe that these are little twits who do not even have to worry about paying their tax dollars to support anti-gay laws or provisions to outlaw abortion.  They have more important things to worry about-- such as junior prom or losing virginity to some gal whose name they will forget in 4 years time.

But I digress.

I've pointed out in one of my other posts that anybody can come up with some "Mickey Mouse" rebuttal to any argument that gets presented, just like creationists will come up with any counter against some point that an evolutionist makes. 

For me to respond to every single thing he wrote would require me to go back and re-read the arguments and write numerous paragraphs explaining the exact point that the atheist misunderstood.  That would be too tedious and since I do not live my parents and actually work for a living, I'm not going to put in that kind of time. 

Note that I do not necessarily endorse every single argument listed on the page.  Viewing this in context, I was making the point that there are lots of arguments for the existence of God and atheists will have the unbridled tendency to disavow them automatically, not because they are unsound, but because they do not comport with the only kind of evidence that the atheist will allow, which excludes God by necessity.  Thus, it becomes quite clear that atheists (such as His Willness and BobSpence) will disregard the arguments without even reading them.  Even BobSpence admitted that he just "skimmed" through it.  His Willness claimed that he had seen all of the arguments before, even though many of them were formalized by Metacrock himself.  So unless His Willness somehow knew about Metacrock before I brought up the site, I find it really hard to believe that he already read these arguments.  That's my point:  The evidence will be denied automatically.  Even if you stump the atheist, s/he will still not accept the fundamental conclusion that God exists.

Metacrock (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Defense of my arugments

I have answered these stupid arguments against my arguments. see atheistwatch.blogspot.com I will be happy to debate you just come to my blog and we can arragne it.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock wrote:No.  I

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

No.  I said that those were assumptions necessarily implicated by naturalism, not that those where what naturalism was.

Except that's not the case, which is what I already said, and you said that you never said that. Which is why it's frustrating to talk to you.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Then do you believe that anything in antiquity ever happened?

Of course! I study Classics.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
No.  I just want you to admit that you are lying, as many of the arguments were written by Metacrock himself.  So unless you've already been to his website, I really doubt you've seen most of these.

See on theologyweb where there's a user named SaintWill? Now look at my signature. Have we made the connection? I've already met Metacrock, I've already read the arguments, and they're still weak and filled with spelling mistakes.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Umm, how about the fact that it was never purported to be written as fiction (unlike say, Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter) and that in accordance with the standards of historical authenticity, the bible passes with flying colors?

*cricket*

I'm sorry, did you just say the bible ... historical ... flying ... ? Sorry, blacked out with disbelief, there. You know the Israeli archeologists who went out to find the path of the Exodus? Nothing. Nada. Plenty of other settlements and interesting finds, but it turns out the whole Exodus thing was pure fantasy. So there's one less flying colour.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
For example, the earliest manuscripts were found between a mere 30-150 years after the books were written.  Other documents, such as the works of Tacitus, were found thousands of years after they were written.

Hundreds, not thousands. And the "manuscripts" you're talking about are fragments.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
I can also point out the prophecies in the Old Testament which came true and were documented in the New Testament.

Uh ...

Neither of those links makes any reference to Exodus, which is what I'm saying is pure fantasy. See "Exodus: The Egyptian Evidence" Frerichs and Lesko, for a full exploration of the topic.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
First of all, who is "we"?  You are referring to a particular group of people who already accept methodological naturalism.

I would say that I know that God exists and I also know that people, at the most fundamental level, are spiritual entities.

Therefore, by saying "it's outside everything that we know", you are begging the question.

You're just going to crazy town now. Knowledge is either a priori or a posteriori, and you've given me "I just know", which doesn't actually fit into either of those. You "know" that people are "spiritual entities", and I'm begging the question? You must be joking.

Let's step back a second. Can we at least agree that nature exists? I mean, can I say that without it being a problem for you? So ... we can know that. That's a priori, that there is existence.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Furthermore, as I've demonstrated, materialistic naturalism necessarily excludes knowledge.  Therefore, you could not claim to know anything.

Bit of a problem with that. If we can both agree that nature exists, then it's actually up to you to demonstrate that a super-nature exists. I'm not begging the question by asking you to show that it exists, because we both just agreed that we know that nature exists. it's up to you to give me something outside of that.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
There is evidence for God.

No, there isn't. There can't be. First, we would have to have a God to apply evidence to. As it is, we have a moving target, such that any and all things can be ascribed to God. That means we can't form a hypothesis, and we can't apply evidence to something without a hypothesis. Thus, no hypothesis.

I don't mind you saying "there is my personal warm feeling for God", because that's at least accurate. But don't pretend that floundering arguments are somehow ontological "proof".

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock wrote:Zaq

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

Zaq wrote:

LOL

Aren't we judgemental. There's something mildly hilarious about having low esteem for someone who just pulled apart your long list of arguments in short order. That kid living at home with mommy and daddy just schooled you. So what does that say?

PS - holy shit, Zaq - herculean effort on your part! I laughed through the entire list. Masterful.

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

Except that's not the case, which is what I already said, and you said that you never said that. Which is why it's frustrating to talk to you.

Then why are you talking to me? 

It is the case, which I've demonstrated.  You said that I was equating those assumptions definitionally into "naturalism" and I'm clarifying that I was not.

Quote:
See on theologyweb where there's a user named SaintWill? Now look at my signature. Have we made the connection? I've already met Metacrock, I've already read the arguments, and they're still weak and filled with spelling mistakes.

I don't post on theologyweb.

Whatever, I can't prove that you are lying.  I'll just admit that it is my assumption and it will stay that way. 

Quote:
*cricket*

I'm sorry, did you just say the bible ... historical ... flying ... ? Sorry, blacked out with disbelief, there. You know the Israeli archeologists who went out to find the path of the Exodus? Nothing. Nada. Plenty of other settlements and interesting finds, but it turns out the whole Exodus thing was pure fantasy. So there's one less flying colour.

Source?  Link?

Quote:
Hundreds, not thousands. And the "manuscripts" you're talking about are fragments.

Umm, no.  Thousands.  Check the link.

Do you have a source or a link to back up your claim(s)?

Quote:
Neither of those links makes any reference to Exodus, which is what I'm saying is pure fantasy. See "Exodus: The Egyptian Evidence" Frerichs and Lesko, for a full exploration of the topic.

I'll read it later. 

Quote:
You're just going to crazy town now. Knowledge is either a priori or a posteriori, and you've given me "I just know", which doesn't actually fit into either of those. You "know" that people are "spiritual entities", and I'm begging the question? You must be joking.

You are begging the question.  You've just assumed that the only thing that we know is the material and I'm telling you that your assertion is not proven.  Even if you do not agree that God is real or that people are immaterial souls, I've presented them as possibilities (and linked you to 40 different arguments to boot).  So now you have to prove to me that nature is all that there is.  This is a claim that you are making.

Quote:
Let's step back a second. Can we at least agree that nature exists? I mean, can I say that without it being a problem for you? So ... we can know that. That's a priori, that there is existence.

Actually, any claim about nature that we can make is a posteriori.  All propositions about nature require reference to sense experience.  

But yes, I agree that it exists.  But I do not agree that it is all that exists. 

Quote:
Bit of a problem with that. If we can both agree that nature exists, then it's actually up to you to demonstrate that a super-nature exists. I'm not begging the question by asking you to show that it exists, because we both just agreed that we know that nature exists. it's up to you to give me something outside of that.

I can demonstrate that naturalism is an untenable position that cannot account for knowledge.  I can also make further arguments regarding its failure to account for logic, morality, and the qualitative characteristics (qualia) of our experiences.  Thus, by way of impossibility to the contrary, I can show that naturalism is not an option.

Then there are numerous proofs that I can give you for the supernatural, 40 of which you've already rejected without reading (this is only my opinion).

Quote:
No, there isn't. There can't be.

Only given your definition of "evidence" and your arbitrary methodology.

Quote:
First, we would have to have a God to apply evidence to. As it is, we have a moving target, such that any and all things can be ascribed to God. That means we can't form a hypothesis, and we can't apply evidence to something without a hypothesis. Thus, no hypothesis.

I have no idea what you are even talking about. 

Quote:
I don't mind you saying "there is my personal warm feeling for God", because that's at least accurate. But don't pretend that floundering arguments are somehow ontological "proof".

Here's the problem:  Just because you say that arguments are insufficient does not mean that they are.  It could just mean that you are an idiot.  Have you ever entertained that possibility?

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:PS - holy

HisWillness wrote:

PS - holy shit, Zaq - herculean effort on your part! I laughed through the entire list. Masterful.

These "you go girl" posts are cute, but I've addressed this already.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Then why are you talking to me?

Because I honestly can't fathom how you believe the things you're writing.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Quote:

Umm, no.  Thousands.  Check the link.

Do you have a source or a link to back up your claim(s)?

Sure, let me just pick up any book I have on Tacitus, who wrote in the first to second century. Then, the earliest manuscripts (Medicean) are from the 10th or 11th centuries. So ... math says hundreds of years later, and you say thousands of years. I wasn't making a slam-dunk correction, I was assuming you made a typo, and you'd be aware of that.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
So now you have to prove to me that nature is all that there is.  This is a claim that you are making.

This has to be the longest piece of miscommunication ever. I'm saying "nature" is all that exists definitionally. As in, if there were a God, it would be part of nature, because definitionally, nature is all that exists. Not "there are certain things I'm specifying that do not exist", not "I know everything in nature", but definitionally, nature is the set of all things that exist. Again, if God existed, clearly God would be in that set.

Again, I do not have exhaustive knowledge of nature, or the dynamics thereof. So while I may object to spirits and gods and whatnot logically, I'm not ruling them out based on exhaustive knowledge of the dynamics of nature.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Quote:

Actually, any claim about nature that we can make is a posteriori.  All propositions about nature require reference to sense experience.

Phenomenology, then. No problem.  Are you furthermore saying that any a priori knowledge is only definitional? Like, "Fathers have children" and "all bachelors are unmarried"?

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
I can demonstrate that naturalism is an untenable position that cannot account for knowledge.  I can also make further arguments regarding its failure to account for logic, morality, and the qualitative characteristics (qualia) of our experiences.  Thus, by way of impossibility to the contrary, I can show that naturalism is not an option.

I was asking about super-nature. If we've determined that naturalism is corrupt and without basis, how do we deal with super-nature? How can we learn about it or test to see if we're right?

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Quote:
No, there isn't. There can't be.

Only given your definition of "evidence" and your arbitrary methodology.

What, the one where I need a hypothesis to apply evidence to? How is that arbitrary?

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
I have no idea what you are even talking about.

I'll start again. If I want evidence for something, I have to know what something I'm talking about before I can apply evidence to it. Otherwise, I might be attributing evidence to the wrong thing. With God, the definition is so fuzzy and vague that we could say God is responsible for all sorts of things. Hurricanes, flooding, flowers, the vastness of space,  we could say those are "evidence" because we don't have a specific enough hypothesis about God. If we did, we could say something like, "if God exists, then X should happen", and it should be to the exclusion of any other explanation. As it is, we don't have that.

Even the best tries don't skim the surface. "If God exists, then we should be moral". There are actually many other explanations for moral behaviour, so there's no exclusivity there.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Here's the problem:  Just because you say that arguments are insufficient does not mean that they are.  It could just mean that you are an idiot.  Have you ever entertained that possibility?

Oh sure, all the time. No, the arguments are insufficient for the same reasons that Zaq pointed out. I'm amazed he got through them all. Usually when I hit a false premise, I stop reading, but Zaq really went for it, and gives a fair critique of all the arguments, and why they're weak and full of holes.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Under the materialist

"Under the materialist worldview, the computer was actually sexually aroused by Smithers."

Amazing. There's the key. Your whole argument is a strawman. You don't even know what materialism is, else you yourself would have seen the multiple and massive discrepancies. In fact, part of you has figured out that your position in this argument is untenable, applying to yourself, and you're trying to reconcile the problem by reflecting the weaknesses in your argument onto your opponents.

Good luck breaking the wall of theist lies. You're almost there.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Good luck

Vastet wrote:
Good luck breaking the wall of theist lies. You're almost there.

As harsh as that sounds, I'd have to endorse it (though with softer wording). I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe that people who can rationalize can also reason their way through bald assertions. If the thinking gets clear enough, then the conclusion can be clear as well.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I'm not quite up to speed on

I'm not quite up to speed on all the logical stuff being thrown back and forth, but isn't materialism a valid default position to hold unless you can prove that something else exists?  As in, something that actually matters?  All I am really seeing are complex cosmological arguments that, in the end, mean absolutely nothing to a real person living a real life even if they were true.

So what am I missing?  If you cannot show that there are physical, material manifestations of some sort of supernatural being, why should I even care about your convoluted thought problems?

But like I said, I am not a student of this stuff, so I might be missing something obvious!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:All I am

mellestad wrote:
All I am really seeing are complex cosmological arguments that, in the end, mean absolutely nothing to a real person living a real life even if they were true.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Welcome to the forums!

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Because I

HisWillness wrote:

Because I honestly can't fathom how you believe the things you're writing.

All you have to do is ask.

What do you want to know?

Quote:
This has to be the longest piece of miscommunication ever. I'm saying "nature" is all that exists definitionally. As in, if there were a God, it would be part of nature, because definitionally, nature is all that exists.

If you define "nature" as everything that exists without any other qualifiers, such as materiality, motion, space, time, lawfulness, etc., then I will grant that God may be said to be part of nature.  All else equal, I could simply posit two subsets of nature, one which includes the aforementioned concepts and the other which includes the eternity which God dwells in.

Quote:
Again, I do not have exhaustive knowledge of nature, or the dynamics thereof. So while I may object to spirits and gods and whatnot logically, I'm not ruling them out based on exhaustive knowledge of the dynamics of nature.

Okay.  That's fair.

Quote:
Phenomenology, then. No problem.  Are you furthermore saying that any a priori knowledge is only definitional? Like, "Fathers have children" and "all bachelors are unmarried"?

Not at all.

Immanuel Kant demonstrated that there are a priori claims that we can make which are a priori insofar that the connection betwen the subject and the predicate is not derived from experience, but are synthetic insofar that the predicate is not included in the definition of the subject. 

For example, "2 + 2" is not the definition of "4".  Mathematical claims are not definitional.  Otherwise, you'd be claiming that the definition of "4" is "2 + 2", "1 + 3", "0 + 4" and ad infinitum.  

Yet the claim that 2 + 2 = 4 is not an inductive argument.  We do not say that 2 +2 probably equals 4 or that up until this point, any time we put two objects together, we get four objects.  We know with absolute certainty that 2  + 2 = 4.

So this is an example of a claim that is neither true by definition (analytic) nor true by empirical observation (a posteriori).

Quote:
I was asking about super-nature. If we've determined that naturalism is corrupt and without basis, how do we deal with super-nature? How can we learn about it or test to see if we're right?

How can we learn about the supernatural?  Since you've defined "nature" as everything that exists, then I would be interested to know what you mean by "supernatural" since you are using the term.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "learning about the supernatural".  What would you want to know about the supernatural specifically?  I won't be able to answer the second question until you answer the first.

Quote:
I'll start again. If I want evidence for something, I have to know what something I'm talking about before I can apply evidence to it. Otherwise, I might be attributing evidence to the wrong thing. With God, the definition is so fuzzy and vague that we could say God is responsible for all sorts of things.

To ask for a definition of "God" is like asking for a definition of "Barack Obama".  Only categories can be defined.  God is not a category.  He is an individual.  Therefore, if you ask what I mean by "God", then I could give you a description but not an exhaustive definition which substantiates some sort of category.

For the purposes of this discussion, I will say that I may describe God's "attributes".  However, God is a simple entity and there really is no division between him and his attributes, otherwise there would exist concepts over and above him which, by necessity, presupposes a higher existent which those concepts are based on.  But I can describe God in the following way:

He is a spiritual being.  He is infinite in his perfection.  He is eternal.  He is intelligent.  He is omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent.  He created the universe.  He is the only necessary being, whose existence constitutes its own sufficient reason thus according with the principle of sufficient reason.  He is indivisible. 

And so on.

I do not see what is "vague" about this.

Quote:
If we did, we could say something like, "if God exists, then X should happen", and it should be to the exclusion of any other explanation. As it is, we don't have that.

We could say that if God exists, then there must be no true proposition whose truth necessarily excludes God, i.e. renders the existence of God to be logically impossible.

Other than that, you really can't qualify the existence of a necessary being.

Quote:
Even the best tries don't skim the surface. "If God exists, then we should be moral". There are actually many other explanations for moral behaviour, so there's no exclusivity there.

Once again, God's existence isn't qualified by the consequent.  Rather, we would say that certain antecedents necessitate the existence of God.  For example, any absolute truth, such as moral laws, require the existence of an intelligent being who is eternal and infallible since conceptual entities such as truth statements are ontologically dependent upon minds.

Quote:
Oh sure, all the time. No, the arguments are insufficient for the same reasons that Zaq pointed out. I'm amazed he got through them all. Usually when I hit a false premise, I stop reading, but Zaq really went for it, and gives a fair critique of all the arguments, and why they're weak and full of holes.

I think "idiot" was too strong, so I apologize.

But I do think you are being irrational.  Do you honestly believe that each of those arguments were untangled in a few sentences, which is to say, that Metacrock would have no response?  It really isn't that easy and I could respond to many of things that Zaq said, but I don't feel like putting in the time. 

I don't even necessarily agree with every argument on that page.

But I was actually just trying to demonstrate that with atheism, it is rarely an issue with the evidence.  It is mostly an issue with atheist presuppositions which exclude God by necessity.  They will deny a priori that any arguments for the existence of God will be sound, simply because atheists have a restricted standard by which they judge the truth or falsity of a claim. 

Maybe you have read all of those arguments (though I still do not think you are being totally honest), but I'm sure most atheists here have not since Metacrock wrote many of those himself.  Yet I could predict with 99.99% certainty that no atheist will be persuaded by any one of those arguments, whether or not they are sound.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock wrote:But I was

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

But I was actually just trying to demonstrate that with atheism, it is rarely an issue with the evidence.  It is mostly an issue with atheist presuppositions which exclude God by necessity.  They will deny a priori that any arguments for the existence of God will be sound, simply because atheists have a restricted standard by which they judge the truth or falsity of a claim. 

Maybe you have read all of those arguments (though I still do not think you are being totally honest), but I'm sure most atheists here have not since Metacrock wrote many of those himself.  Yet I could predict with 99.99% certainty that no atheist will be persuaded by any one of those arguments, whether or not they are sound.

So, is it fair to say your argument for the existence of deity is based on thought problems?  I think the typical atheist response would be that actual evidence is required at some point, rather than a logic diagram (atheists can make those too).

Or is that unfair?  I'm just trying to get a handle on all the different arguments.

Edit: I guess to elaborate, even the most complex theories in science like Big Bang, Quantum Theory, String Theory, Dark Matter, make some sort of quantifiable statement about reality, and so in theory I should care, even if only a little.  I'm not super familiar with theist cosmological arguments, but they all seem to boil down to the fact that a deity exists outside of nature, and cannot be understood fully by man, ever.  So...I just don't get it.  "God cannot be fathomed, he cannot be tested, he cannot be falsified, and he has no rules governing his existence."  Oh good, thanks for that!

The part that frustrates me the most, as an atheist, is even in recent history that was not the general claim!  A few thousand years ago, a deity supposedly had direct contact with humanity.  A couple thousand years ago god sent a proxy, and invoked supernatural events.  A few hundred years ago, god was still directly responsible for physical acts in nature.  Now god just exists, but he never actually does anything because of one excuse or another, or at least he never does anything in public (unless you are Catholic I guess).

How can I argue with any of that when the bar keeps moving?  What am I supposed to say?  How can we make a convincing a rational argument when nothing physical means anything to a theist?

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:So, is it

mellestad wrote:

So, is it fair to say your argument for the existence of deity is based on thought problems?  I think the typical atheist response would be that actual evidence is required at some point, rather than a logic diagram (atheists can make those too).

Which arguments are you referring to? 

"Evidence" is a fuzzy term.  I would say that many of the arguments which I've cited ARE evidence.

Quote:
The part that frustrates me the most, as an atheist, is even in recent history that was not the general claim!  A few thousand years ago, a deity supposedly had direct contact with humanity.  A couple thousand years ago god sent a proxy, and invoked supernatural events.  A few hundred years ago, god was still directly responsible for physical acts in nature.  Now god just exists, but he never actually does anything because of one excuse or another, or at least he never does anything in public (unless you are Catholic I guess).

And what about all of the failed scientific theories which did not invoke God, such as phlogiston theory?

In fact, Aristotle's idea of God was mostly consistent with the idea of God in Christianity (eternal, uncaused, unmoved, etc.)... and he wasn't even a Christian!

And for all of his failed scientific theories, I can't think of one of them which invoked God as an explanation.

What you seem to be referring to is the ancient belief that physical events were caused by many of the anthropomorphic super-beings such as Zeus or Apollo.  I do not say why this has anything to do with the God of Christianity, which has stood the test of time from the time of Moses through the Middle Ages to today. 

I don't believe the Bible ever states that gravity is the result of God sitting underneath the ground with a metaphysical magnet.  Did you have any specific passages in mind?

I definitely accept the scientific method.  But science needs to be science and not metaphysics.  Otherwise, it is just bad science.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
"2 + 2 = 4" follows directly

"2 + 2 = 4" follows directly from the definitions of "2", "+", "=" and "4", and logic. It is true because it is consistent with the definitions of the elementary terms;

So it is still valid  to say that mathematical truths are 'definitional', in that all valid ('true') expressions are logically consistent with the definitions. They are inevitable consequences of the definitions.

Where did the description of God come from? Are statements such as "God is a simple entity" a priori, or follow by some argument from a set of axioms or assumptions?

How does one calculate what is 'sufficient reason' for the existence of something?

I honestly find both "necessary being" and "sufficient reason" as obsolete concepts, in the light of modern science-based understanding of reality, but I am curious to hear your personal understanding of these concepts. IOW don't just point me to some link, I have read more that enough articles involving that sort of language, and find such concepts contribute absolutely nothing to my understanding of anything, in sharp contrast with discussions and speculations on ultimate things based on insights from science.

If I say that my three favorite philosphers are David Hume, Bertrand Russell, and Daniel Dennett, you may understand where I'm coming from, if you hadn't figured it out already. I consider most philosophy pretty much a waste of words. 

Nevertheless, I am interested to get some understanding of the way people with a very different view on these things come to those positions.

From my position, there are certainly fundamental mysteries still to wonder at, but "God" seems a non-solution to a what are not really valid or meaningful questions in the modern context.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock wrote:mellestad

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Which arguments are you referring to? 

"Evidence" is a fuzzy term.  I would say that many of the arguments which I've cited ARE evidence.

Quote:

And what about all of the failed scientific theories which did not invoke God, such as phlogiston theory?

In fact, Aristotle's idea of God was mostly consistent with the idea of God in Christianity (eternal, uncaused, unmoved, etc.)... and he wasn't even a Christian!

And for all of his failed scientific theories, I can't think of one of them which invoked God as an explanation.

What you seem to be referring to is the ancient belief that physical events were caused by many of the anthropomorphic super-beings such as Zeus or Apollo.  I do not say why this has anything to do with the God of Christianity, which has stood the test of time from the time of Moses through the Middle Ages to today. 

I don't believe the Bible ever states that gravity is the result of God sitting underneath the ground with a metaphysical magnet.  Did you have any specific passages in mind?

I definitely accept the scientific method.  But science needs to be science and not metaphysics.  Otherwise, it is just bad science.

Ok, so they are thought problems.  That is fine, I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something.

Science grows, and as it grows religion shrinks.  Without some physical manifestation, I think the concept of god is so watered down that it is useless.  The modern concept of god is not the same as the ancient concept, because apologists have to keep moving the bar to remain relevant.

The Bible makes miracle claims, which are obviously physical.  They are believed to be real, and so are physical manifestations of divine will.  They have historically been taken literally.  The Christian/Jewish/Muslim faiths are full of physical claims of supernatural power in antiquity.

Again, my basic point is that the entire concept of "metaphysics" use useless, because it attempts to explain the unexplainable, but the unexplainable keeps being explained by science.  And any time anyone manages to pin anything down, some new liberalized interpretation pops up that makes even fewer claims.

Now everything is about context, and history, and to understand anything in the traditional Christian belief you have to go to seminary for years just to figure out what a simple passage "really" means.

Honestly, I respect guys with philosophy degrees (and peopel who study the process in general), but it must be a pain in the ass to spend so much time on questions that don't actually help anyone accomplish anything.  Either a deity can do something useful, or it cannot.  If it cannot, then let the concept die.

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock wrote:For me to

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

For me to respond to every single thing he wrote would require me to go back and re-read the arguments and write numerous paragraphs explaining the exact point that the atheist misunderstood.  That would be too tedious and since I do not live my parents and actually work for a living, I'm not going to put in that kind of time. 

Yet, you put a list of arguments up expecting that everyone here would read them.  Now that someone has responded to them you don't have the time to counter?  Genius.  If you're going to use something in a debate at least make sure you can defend it.

Although I might steal your tactic in future debates.  Screw arguing the finer points of evolution.  I'm just going to list every chemical and biological law I can think of - starting with the forces of attraction - and list them as a defense.  If a creationist ever takes the time to go through them all and come up with a response I'll call him a loser and say I don't have the time to defend my position.  So full of win.

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

lpetrich
lpetrich's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good work on Metacrock's

Zaq, you did good work on Metacrock's fallacy-riddled arguments. His response? Debating my God Arguments He thinks that we are a hate group just because we disagree with him about the existence of his favorite sky fairy. Just as in Ipertrich: Atheist Persecute free thinkers: Exampel of Atheist hate group taticsIpterrtich: which referred to this blog entry: Metacrock

Doesn't he have any dignity?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
lpetrich wrote:Zaq, you did

lpetrich wrote:

Zaq, you did good work on Metacrock's fallacy-riddled arguments. His response? Debating my God Arguments He thinks that we are a hate group just because we disagree with him about the existence of his favorite sky fairy. Just as in Ipertrich: Atheist Persecute free thinkers: Exampel of Atheist hate group taticsIpterrtich: which referred to this blog entry: Metacrock

Doesn't he have any dignity?

Rofl. He whines that his arguments were destroyed by one liners, then proceeds to make more arguments that could be defeated by one liners. He just doesn't get that all we need is one liners. How amusing.
A few random examples, since going through the whole thing could take forever and require many posts.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"I can't do anything about

"I can't do anything about it because they have their boards set up so that I can't cut, paste or use spell check."

Noob? I can cut, paste, and spell check with my PS3, so this idiot just doesn't know how to use a computer.

"He even mocks the idea of a new argument on the list. That's nuts. To be so hyped up on hate and so desperate to make any sort of criticism that you actually criticize having a little icon that says "new" by an argument, that's pathetic."

He can't answer the refutation, so he goes on a irrelevant rant.

"So typical of know nothing hate group atheism to poison the well. The dildo didn't even read the argument he just calls it some names. If evolution is not the product of random change whan what rationalistic force governs it? How does that differ from God?"

Nicely demonstrating his ignorance of evolution.

What a nutter.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Also revealing that he sees

Also revealing that he sees our reactions as "hate".

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
guy that thinks we hate him

guy that thinks we hate him wrote:
I can't do anything about it because they have their boards set up so that I can't cut, paste or use spell check.

Really? I can cut and paste and use spell check in these comment boxes.

Quote:
If evolution is not the product of random change whan what rationalistic force governs it?

Ah, so he has some philosophical training, but he doesn't know anything about science. That's pretty typical. I wonder if he understands what natural selection is.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm kind of upset that my

I'm kind of upset that my original response to this didn't go through, for some reason. Ah well. The internet giveth and the internet taketh away.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
If you define "nature" as everything that exists without any other qualifiers, such as materiality, motion, space, time, lawfulness, etc., then I will grant that God may be said to be part of nature.  All else equal, I could simply posit two subsets of nature, one which includes the aforementioned concepts and the other which includes the eternity which God dwells in.

We might be getting closer to your conception of reality, then. Nature it divided into two subsets -- are these subsets mutually exclusive? That is, does God participate in the physical world?

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Immanuel Kant demonstrated that there are a priori claims that we can make which are a priori insofar that the connection betwen the subject and the predicate is not derived from experience, but are synthetic insofar that the predicate is not included in the definition of the subject. 

[...]

So [math] is an example of a claim that is neither true by definition (analytic) nor true by empirical observation (a posteriori).

The idea that math has a certain special place aside from a priori and a posteriori knowledge bolsters scientific induction quite a lot, wouldn't you say?

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
How can we learn about the supernatural?  Since you've defined "nature" as everything that exists, then I would be interested to know what you mean by "supernatural" since you are using the term.

My guess is that it's the second "realm" you suggest: the one with the eternity and God.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
He is a spiritual being.  He is infinite in his perfection.  He is eternal.  He is intelligent.  He is omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent.  He created the universe.  He is the only necessary being, whose existence constitutes its own sufficient reason thus according with the principle of sufficient reason.  He is indivisible.

Oh neoplatonism. Sigh.

"Spiritual being" is vague, seeing as we don't even know how to deal with the concept of spirit, much less spirit as it relates to being. "Eternal" would mean you're positing that a being could be eternal, "infinite" is equally unhelpful, as is "perfection". Intelligence is far too difficult to define to make it even relevant to the discussion, much less discovering how something we know absolutely nothing about could be said to be intelligent with a straight face. The necessary being bit according with the principle of sufficient reason is simply circular. "Let there be a being that satisfies this condition" is a philosophical exercise, not a description of something real (whatever you believe real is). Indivisible is another leap of conjecture.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
I do not see what is "vague" about this.

You don't see what's vague about the concept of perfection?

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
We could say that if God exists, then there must be no true proposition whose truth necessarily excludes God, i.e. renders the existence of God to be logically impossible.

A being that both exists and does not exist -- would that be logically impossible? God exists in roughly the same way that centaurs exist: they were written about in several books, and have a fairly well-known set of traits. So they exist, in the sense that ideas of things exist, but not in the sense that anybody has seen one, or has any actual evidence of one ever living.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Other than that, you really can't qualify the existence of a necessary being.

Of course not. However, it seems as though "necessary" is a matter of opinion.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
Once again, God's existence isn't qualified by the consequent.  Rather, we would say that certain antecedents necessitate the existence of God.  For example, any absolute truth, such as moral laws, require the existence of an intelligent being who is eternal and infallible since conceptual entities such as truth statements are ontologically dependent upon minds.

And since we see no evidence of moral absolutes across cultures, what does that tell us?

Lord_of_Rock wrote:
But I do think you are being irrational.  Do you honestly believe that each of those arguments were untangled in a few sentences, which is to say, that Metacrock would have no response?  It really isn't that easy and I could respond to many of things that Zaq said, but I don't feel like putting in the time.

I don't blame you, and I probably wouldn't have relied as much on game theory as he has, but he gave very solid criticism. Some of the arguments listed were too childish to even address (the arguments from emotion or "religious feeling" would be the least compelling). Others make no attempt at a chain of logic. Some are other people's arguments, and there were a couple of those that were interesting, but didn't show that God existed, merely that it could not be proven that any random set of attributes could not be said to be clustered together in a being.

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

I acknowledge presuppositions that are taken up in the pursuit of science, absolutely. Ceteris paribus ("all things being equal" ) is the most obvious. Others are that the natural world is what we can test, and that what we observe can be affected by our biases. These are assumptions that allow the scientist to get the job done. The philosopher might take issue, but the scientist would be remiss in his or her duty to spend too much time on them.

To apply that idea to all of atheist thought would be a mistake. There are tons of irrational atheists, and there are atheists who are sometimes irrational, and other times rational. In terms of theism as opposed to atheism, however, you must concede that one engages only the rational mind, and the other relies on a belief that demands neither evidence nor reason.

Theist/apologist/theological thought requires assumptions that go beyond what is testable -- beyond reason -- to engage a feeling rather than a rational argument. The feeling of faith doesn't require any reasoning, it just requires one to sustain the feeling. Without detracting from the value of feelings, they're irrational.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does Lord_of_Rock seem

Does Lord_of_Rock seem familiar to anyone else?  Have we met this avatar before?  Are we being visited by another incarnation of presup or that other one?  And more importantly, does Lord_of_Rock exist naturally or super-naturally?  It's really quite an important question.  I'm sure that Will can appreciate this.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:And more

Thomathy wrote:
And more importantly, does Lord_of_Rock exist naturally or super-naturally?  It's really quite an important question.

It's true, it is. I'm waiting for the answer on this one. Maybe the supernatural in this context is just God and heaven. Who knows? That's the convenience of having a supernatural, you can put anything in it!

Zaq
atheist
Zaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord of Rock

Lord of Rock, thanks for the personal attack.  If it matters at all (which as Magus has pointed out, it doesn't) you were incorrect with both guesses.  I'm over 18 and not actually living with my dad, he had just invited me over for dinner that evening.

"These "you go girl" posts are cute, but I've addressed this already."

With personal attacks?  Way to address a refutation.

Ipetrich:  Woah, the guy from that site responded?  But why won't he post here?  Oh well, +1 internet recognition for me!

I admit my "refutation" was quite cursory, but it's interesting to note that his response begins with personal attacks against both me and the board I posted on.  Anyway, a couple of things I noticed

Hinman: "this guy just listed the argument titles from the God arguent list and then makes a bunch of one line answers."

First, I didn't even bother listing the argument titles.  There were too many of them so I just listed them by number.  The listing of titles was actually a quotation from Lord of Rock and I don't want to steal credit for his effort.

Second, I actually DID click on the links, and Hinman would know this if he read my refutation.  I noted that #13 linked me to the same page as #12, and referred to my refutation of 12 for my refutation of 13.  This clearly demonstrates that I was aware that they were links and that I followed at least two of the links.

Third, I refuted some 42 "arguments" in the course of less than an hour.  That's why I used one-liners.  He then proceeds to defend... eight.  Good job Hinman.

Hinman doesn't seem to have any concept of cardinality.

At one point he completely ignores my refutation and just criticizes the fact that I pointed out that one of his arguments was new.

He confuses "matter" with "the universe."  Ever heard of spacetime?

He still equates evolution with pure chance.  The force governing evolution is a non-agent called natural selection

He fails to realize that part 3 of argument 6 is effectively a NOMA claim.  He also assumes I think Kuhn is an evil creationist for some reason.

See, in his argument 7 there's this little blue header "Argument" that's set aside by horizontal lines.  Immediately following this are 5 numbered statements that I presumed to be the argument.  I was refuting #2.  It is a claim that was unsupported by the rest of the page, so I called it an assumption.

I used cut/paste when preparing this comment and my computer/browser is by no means state-of-the-art.  It's accessed by hitting ctrl C for copy, ctrl X for cut, and ctrl V for paste.  Firefox automatically underlines words it thinks I've misspelled so you could try that too.

Hinman, if you bother to read this, there was this little bold disclaimer when I clicked on comment.

"Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author."

This makes me very hesitant to discuss this with you on your own site.

HisWillness:  I admit I have been using a lot of game theory recently.  This probably has something to do with the game theory research I did this summer and the game theory research paper I'm currently writing

Also, thanks for the kudos folks.  It's nice to see that some people recognize that personal attacks do not make a good argument.

Questions for Theists:
http://silverskeptic.blogspot.com/2011/03/consistent-standards.html

I'm a bit of a lurker. Every now and then I will come out of my cave with a flurry of activity. Then the Ph.D. program calls and I must fall back to the shadows.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zaq wrote:HisWillness:  I

Zaq wrote:

HisWillness:  I admit I have been using a lot of game theory recently.  This probably has something to do with the game theory research I did this summer and the game theory research paper I'm currently writing

Haha -- that would do it. Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed playing with game theory in second year economics. But the reason I wouldn't use it has nothing to do with its applicability, I just don't think you need that amount of firepower to shoot down those arguments. As I said before, I gave up reading them as soon as I found an obvious contradiction or assumption. As a result, I didn't make it to the end of a lot of them.

Zaq wrote:
Also, thanks for the kudos folks.  It's nice to see that some people recognize that personal attacks do not make a good argument.

Your refutation list was honestly hilarious. I started doing a point-by-point refutation myself, but then abandoned it after doing so many "see above" comments that the whole project seemed redundant.

I guess personal attacks are to be expected on the internet. But you would really have to value someone's opinion before you could take a personal attack seriously.