"The Devil Made Me Do It" (Warning: Graphic & Emotional)

Silly_Mommy
BloggerSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
"The Devil Made Me Do It" (Warning: Graphic & Emotional)

The excuse of "the Devil made me do it" by some religious people is the most ridiculous people I've ever heard. Ever!

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/2-week-old_baby_stabbed_to_death.html

This article is maddening. And to think, there will be people who are sympathetic to her because they actually believe that the Devil can influence people in the same way God can affect them. At the risk of sounding like a heartless bitch, she deserves a penalty no less than what she did to her child. Yet there is none available. And I don't give a crap what that says about me.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Yeah, I read about it in

Yeah, I read about it in the paper this morning.  It seems that she is emulating the convicted murderer Andrea Yates who drowned her 5 children based upon her wild and bizarre religious delusions. Pathetic.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
what this is the best excuse

what this is the best excuse you can use to get out of life in prison, you get sent to the mental ward for life, and never have to deal with prisoners that want to kill you for killing children, i mean come on if you gonna commit a heinous crime might as well make a good defense to get the lest possible punishment. Religion provides the best possible defense for mental insanity.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
 In b4 Pineapple

In b4 Pineapple apologetics. 

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: In b4

Kevin R Brown wrote:

In b4 Pineapple apologetics. 

I dont think anyone ever really apologizes for Pineapples deficiencies...

oh.... you meant... hmm... ya, ok, got it

What Would Kharn Do?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:I

latincanuck wrote:

what this is the best excuse you can use to get out of life in prison, you get sent to the mental ward for life, and never have to deal with prisoners that want to kill you for killing children, i mean come on if you gonna commit a heinous crime might as well make a good defense to get the lest possible punishment. Religion provides the best possible defense for mental insanity.

Except that in the U.S. it won't be life in a mental ward. There is almost no funding to mental institutions. A lot of it has been redirected elsewhere..so they either put them in prison, or send them to a mental facility and release them in a few years time.

And the prisons are full too. They keep building new ones. A lot of inmates are there for drug related offenses. (I think it was 55% last time I checked a few years ago?)

There needs to be a revamp of our laws, but it won't happen because the private prison industry is BOOMING. They put inmates to work doing call center jobs, and producing things in sweatshop-like conditions for pennies an hour for large corporations.

There is already so must money involved in it that it would be difficult to do anything but try and imprison more Americans to make higher profits. Anyway, for a lot of corporations if you see "Made in America" on a product it is often done under these conditions.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
But in Canada

We do send people to mental wards for the rest of their lives if they are found mentally insane by the courts....mind you with good behavior, parols requirements and of course some of the most idiot judges I have seen you could be out in 5 to 7 years for murder.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
But in Canada

Ok I hit the post button once and I get double post what gives?

Silly_Mommy
BloggerSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
So then what will become of

So then what will become of her? Will she receive death or life in a mental hospital, if it's available. I'm sure it will be argued that, despite her religious convictions, she was suffering from a psychotic breakdown. (Obviously, as no sane, rational person is even capable of such a horrendous crime.)

What I'm torn about the most on this case is that because it was her less-than-one month old's life that she took, she will most likely be labeled as having Postpartum Psychosis (PPP). As an advocate for awareness of PPD that can easily turn in to PPP if untreated, I know first hand the symptoms that doctors, nurses, and any other health professional will warn about. A big one is "if you feel the desire to harm yourself or your baby, seek help immediately." A huge part of moderate-severe PPD and PPP is envisioning the harming of your child, which can manifest in other ways as well such as neglect and Shaken Baby Syndrome.

I have no doubt in my mind that she does suffer from PPP. This disorder is scary, even in the realm of mental illness. Even a secular person suffering from it will most likely complain of hearing "voices," which is especially against the nature of the person. *BUT* in all the demented and psychotic chaos in her mind, she had to have known her actions were wrong, because she had an excuse. That excuse being "the Devil." No Christian I have *ever* known has ever cited the Devil at fault for something, from the big to the small, without it being bad. That's the whole point of the Devil, because many feel that the inappropriate actions they act upon on a day to day basis are either not entirely or the complete fault of their own. My point is, though, that people consciously choose to blame the Devil or at least default with their misjudgments because they ultimately have chosen to live that religious life. This goes beyond whatever disorder she may suffer from, but it still means the in the heat of her crime she had an "oh fuck!" moment.

Well, maybe not in the heat but most definitely when she was arrested. It would seem she knew this was a bad idea in the first place, as the Devil never "commands" you to do good things. Or she figured it out quickly that she was royally screwed over her actions and needed a way out. Default to Devil.

PPP: I would still want justice but would hope that if this had to happen at all it could be used to enlighten the general misinformed public that *ANY* women can be at risk for PPD and PPP. The stigma of 'I'm a depressed mom sitting on my couch eating bon bons' would slowly be broken and women wouldn't have to feel so ashamed for saying, "I think I have a problem..."

Her defaulting to the Devil: there is no sentence available that would be acceptable for such a crime.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:I

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Winkler

Murder and out within 60 days after court.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd.....

Grant her wish:

When police arrived, Sanchez was sitting on a couch, yelling, “I killed my baby. I want to die,” the report said.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

imthinking
User is offlineOffline
 Assume she is telling the

Assume she is telling the truth and she really believes that the Devil told her to kill and decapitate her baby. Then she is crazy and she still deserves the same punishment as someone convicted of second degree murder. A person should only be allowed to use the insanity plea if their mental illness prevented them from realizing what they were doing. She clearly understood what she was doing. She was following the devil's orders and murdering her baby. I don't believe though that the fact that it was a baby should have any bearing on the case. I think valuing the life of an arbitrary baby over the life of an arbitrary adult is just an emotional response and should have no bearing in our legal system.

Conclusion: Guilty Bitch

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
i haz question! How come

i haz question!

How come religious nutters, insane or not, follow orders of the devil? honestly... he stands for everything against their religion, yet they ended up following his orders...   do they not see the disconnect in ideals?

What Would Kharn Do?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

The Doomed Soul wrote:

i haz question!

How come religious nutters, insane or not, follow orders of the devil? honestly... he stands for everything against their religion, yet they ended up following his orders...   do they not see the disconnect in ideals?

What other place can you shift blame to when no one had any influence on what you do but yourself?

Oh right, a supreme cause of all evil.

Thats the ticket!

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:What other

ClockCat wrote:

What other place can you shift blame to when no one had any influence on what you do but yourself?

Oh right, a supreme cause of all evil.

Thats the ticket!

*Nutty Christian*  "Ya, so Satan called me up the other day, and asked me to kill my whole family... i was a little suspicious at first, but he assured me that 'its ok, guy' so i killed them"

*Me* Just like that? the eternal arch enemy of your god, come up to you, tells you to commit an evil act, thats against your gods laws... AND YOU DO IT? WTF? are you fuckin crazy? ...

... ok, i understand the insanity plea now... >.<

What Would Kharn Do?