It was worth the wait:

Silly_Mommy
BloggerSuperfan
Posts: 79
Joined: 2008-08-10
User is offlineOffline
It was worth the wait:

I have slowly, but surely, turned my mother into a Deist. It's not an Atheist (yet!) but this was the die-hard Mormon woman who, only two years ago, had a mini-meltdown when I told her I was removing my records from the church. Mind you, I hadn't visited the cult... the church since I was 18, but somehow this was still a surprise? Nevertheless, she still held fast to what she was told to believe and while I knew she hadn't actually been to the LDS church lately, I also knew she was clinging to Christianity.

For my mother's sake, I could tell through the powers of basic human psychology that she was grasping to the need for religion because she needed something in her emotional life (the desire to not be "alone" - which I will *not* get into as it's not simply black and white). But being the loving daughter that I am, I knew what she was really saying and tonight I finally took the wheel and told her, essentially, that what she has been told is a fallacy. While at first skeptical, I simply stated, "Mother, you've been doing things that way for how long and you're still not happy. Let it go, for the sake of argument, for a moment and imagine what it would be like if *you* controlled your own life?"

After a 2-hour phone conversation and establishing my mother's own realization that she would be better off relying on herself instead of an invisible entity, although she still believes in a god, she already sounds more optimistic. 

 


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
So is she willing to give up

So is she willing to give up thew magical underwear?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
Posts: 223
Joined: 2009-02-19
User is offlineOffline
 That is great! I remember

 That is great! I remember how liberated I felt when I dumped my religion (baptist). I only wish I could help others feel the same way. I hope my mom takes it well and actually listens to what I believe in and is rational about it. I doubt she will be but whatever. Good job. 

"Take all the heads of the people
and hang them up before the Lord
against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
 Congratulations to you!

 Congratulations to you!  You've done what very few can do.  You should be very proud of your effort.  I'm very happy for you and your mom.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Silly_Mommy
BloggerSuperfan
Posts: 79
Joined: 2008-08-10
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

So is she willing to give up thew magical underwear?

 

Elton John can now write a song for the magical underwear, joining Marilyn Monroe and Princess Diana. I'm not exactly sentimental about the garments though. 


Silly_Mommy
BloggerSuperfan
Posts: 79
Joined: 2008-08-10
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

 Congratulations to you!  You've done what very few can do.  You should be very proud of your effort.  I'm very happy for you and your mom.

 

 

Naturally I can't help but be proud, mainly for the patience which I exuded throughout the exhausting process (as it wasn't just yesterday's phone conversation which set things in motion). But also I care about my mother and saw her struggling to reach out for something that never gave back, knowing that she is a smart woman, yet she put so much emotion into that religion. For her sake I just couldn't let her go another day, but it worked out well because she was finally ready to let go.


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
I hope that she can find

I hope that she can find some real relief in plotting her own course, and that letting go of the religious aspects of her life isn't too difficult. That can be a hard thing for people to do -- especially when they've put so much effort into it.

But the feelings of relief are definitely worth it in the end. I'm happy for your mother.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
Posts: 1142
Joined: 2007-05-22
User is offlineOffline
Congrats.  Beware of

Congrats.  Beware of backsliding though.  It is easy to fall back down the slope.


theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
Posts: 227
Joined: 2009-07-12
User is offlineOffline
Silly_Mommy wrote:After a

Silly_Mommy wrote:
After a 2-hour phone conversation and establishing my mother's own realization that she would be better off relying on herself instead of an invisible entity, although she still believes in a god, she already sounds more optimistic. 

That is so awesome and inspiring. She's only a step away from feeling the glorious liberation of atheism, and undoing those barbaric chains of religion that have oppressed her for so long from being fully human. Your testimony makes me long in anticipation for that beautiful day when the sun shines, and all these silly wars are over, and we all sit at the picnic table of disbelief, free of ants that science has dispelled. 

Thanks you so much for the words of encouragement. 

 

 


Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
Posts: 628
Joined: 2008-02-29
User is offlineOffline
theTwelve wrote:Silly_Mommy

theTwelve wrote:

Silly_Mommy wrote:
After a 2-hour phone conversation and establishing my mother's own realization that she would be better off relying on herself instead of an invisible entity, although she still believes in a god, she already sounds more optimistic. 

That is so awesome and inspiring. She's only a step away from feeling the glorious liberation of atheism, and undoing those barbaric chains of religion that have oppressed her for so long from being fully human. Your testimony makes me long in anticipation for that beautiful day when the sun shines, and all these silly wars are over, and we all sit at the picnic table of disbelief, free of ants that science has dispelled. 

Thanks you so much for the words of encouragement. 

 

Twelve, you're gonna need RAID for the ants.

 

And 'Silly Wars'? Seriously? Are you that much of a wanker than you think the amount of religious wars are 'silly'?

 

 

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais


theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
Posts: 227
Joined: 2009-07-12
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab wrote:Twelve,

Abu Lahab wrote:

Twelve, you're gonna need RAID for the ants.

And all praise and glory to Mr. Science for that one. 

Quote:
And 'Silly Wars'? Seriously? Are you that much of a wanker than you think the amount of religious wars are 'silly'?

Yes, wars over fictional beings are silly, as silly as wars over which cereal box character is the best, a war of Trick's rabbit vs. Count Chocula.

That bright and shiny day when disbelief reigns supreme by the efforts of all of us here, is the day we can all look upon a bright and glorious future, where we have learned to live better, by knowing this is the only life we have, and no one but ourselves are responsible for the tending of it. i feel like cumming in my pants just thinking about it. 

Excuse me while i put John Lennon's "Imagine" on repeat. 

 

 


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:o

theTwelve wrote:

Abu Lahab wrote:

Twelve, you're gonna need RAID for the ants.

And all praise and glory to Mr. Science for that one. 

Quote:
And 'Silly Wars'? Seriously? Are you that much of a wanker than you think the amount of religious wars are 'silly'?

Yes, wars over fictional beings are silly, as silly as wars over which cereal box character is the best, a war of Trick's rabbit vs. Count Chocula.

That bright and shiny day when disbelief reigns supreme by the efforts of all of us here, is the day we can all look upon a bright and glorious future, where we have learned to live better, by knowing this is the only life we have, and no one but ourselves are responsible for the tending of it. i feel like cumming in my pants just thinking about it. 

Excuse me while i put John Lennon's "Imagine" on repeat. 

 

 

 

You have issues.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Anyone who thinks a war over

Anyone who thinks a war over imaginary beings is silly is right.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Silly_Mommy
BloggerSuperfan
Posts: 79
Joined: 2008-08-10
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote:Congrats. 

Nero wrote:

Congrats.  Beware of backsliding though.  It is easy to fall back down the slope.

You absolutely called it. But her problem is clinical, though. At least things are still going well in the religious department... *sigh*


Silly_Mommy
BloggerSuperfan
Posts: 79
Joined: 2008-08-10
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Anyone who

Vastet wrote:
Anyone who thinks a war over imaginary beings is silly is right.

I couldn't agree more. Wars over invisible people? I'm wondering how it is the previous poster is the one with the issues...


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:3

I'm not disagreeing with him. Just the way it was put..rofl.

 

Somehow this topic reminds me of that South Park episode about atheists.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


Silly_Mommy
BloggerSuperfan
Posts: 79
Joined: 2008-08-10
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:I'm not

ClockCat wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with him. Just the way it was put..rofl.

 

Somehow this topic reminds me of that South Park episode about atheists.

Sounded a lot like a fairy tale, but it was still a valid point. And I recall seeing the South Park episode but it has been so long that I can't appreciate the humor anymore, sadly. 


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
Posts: 503
Joined: 2008-04-27
User is offlineOffline
theTwelve wrote: (snide

theTwelve wrote:
(snide sarcastic remarks culminating in: ) Excuse me while i put John Lennon's "Imagine" on repeat. 

 

A person is happy that her mother is finding the courage to draw her own conclusions about life, and some other people express their sympathy and happiness for both mother and daughter.

 

Your response: a sarcastic putdown, insisting that the original poster, and her responders are naive, and selfrightious in their beliefs.

 

But what you wilfully ignore is that this has nothing to do with atheism, and everything to do with human hapiness and selfconfidence.

 

Her mother has finally begun to remove herself from an abusive relationship with an organisation: The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints; an organisation whose purpose it is to make that woman give all her time, money and attention to the likes of Mitt Romney, simultaniously robbing her of her, some would say, God given right, to draw her own conclusions about life, the universe and everything.

 

Had she been in a smaller cult, would you have responded with the same snarky attitude? There are many large organised religions in the world, so widespread, so old, and so battered by differing cultural influences that they do not inherently hold any sway over a person right to define their own beliefs (in any meaningful sense).

 

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is not such a religion and you know it, so stop being such a dick.

 

And if you truly don't know it, then I suggest you read up on it my friend, because Mormonism is not "just another religion".

 

I take it you would prefer it if people where Scientologists, as long as they are not "dopey" and "shallow" atheists?

 

And just to clarify, I know that not all religions are alike, and within any given religion, not all people are alike, because generalizing is stupid. But just as one can draw some basic conclusions about a person if they say they are a pacifist, a national socialist, or a creationist, so can you know something about a person if they say they are of a particular religion, especially if that religion is young and has a strong cultural grounding in a particular set of beliefs.

 

You, however, clearly think that all religions are alike, in that any religious belief is inherently better than atheism, even if that religion makes you think the Earth is flat, all black people are the Devil's minions, that women are less inteligent than men, and that the smartest guy ever to have lived is the Prophet Bob, from West Virginia.

 

Atheism does not bring about a perfect world. I've never claimed anything of the sort. Some people might, because some people are stupid, selfrightious, or both. But you deride atheism for claiming just that, while ignoring the fact that atheism itself does not claim anything of the sort.

 

There are atheists that are dickheads out there. I've never claimed otherwise. I even know that for a fact because I've met some on these boards. But you claim that atheism is what makes you a dickhead, while ignoring the fact that you yourself has suggested Denmark as an example of a place with many decent people, even though most here are atheists.

 

So you yourself recognize that it is perfectly possible to be an atheist and a smart, friendly, loving person, and yet you now in this thread suggest that any religious belief, no matter how vile or absurd or both, is still necessarily better than atheism.

 

You think the atheist arguments you have heard are shallow and dopey, and since religion, and religious people have been the "victims" of such arguments, you conclude that religion must be good.

 

Well, I suggest you stop your single-minded self rightious attacks on anything with the label Atheism, and instead engage in an honest open discussion about what makes a good person, and what makes a good world, instead of taking the easy way out, and sarcastically put down a thread in which actual, empathetic human sentiment is expressed!

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin