theist riddle (psst, mcap!)

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
theist riddle (psst, mcap!)

"There seems to be some theistic people on this web-site, I am hoping somebody can answer this question:

Show proof of a message of any kind that came from God."

Fixed.

-Triften

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 {Jeopardy Music Plays}

{Jeopardy Music Plays}

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Miracles and messages come in the form of burn marks on toast these days.

Didn't you hear? Hey, at least it beats reading them from entrails.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

I think I must of surely seen a woman with a Jesus-shaped tumour on her neck the other day.

Is that good enough?

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
triften wrote:Show proof of

triften wrote:
Show proof of a message of any kind that came from God.

Is being ignored by god proof of a message from god?

Me: God, please cure my woes.
God: *ignores you*
Me: C'mon god, don't be a douche
God: *ignores you, s'more*

I think that's a pretty clear message.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:I think I

ClockCat wrote:

I think I must of surely seen a woman with a Jesus-shaped tumour on her neck the other day.

Is that good enough?

Well, did goldenpalace.com buy it on ebay for a million dollars?  If not then no that was not good enough.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I've been trying for a few

I've been trying for a few weeks now to think of a way to express just how bizarre the whole theist "communication" argument is.  I mean... if everything goes fine, nothing out of the ordinary is happening, and nothing extraordinary happens, then God is communicating with you.  If something really bad happens, God is communicating with you.  If you have a dream, God is communicating with you.  If something really out of the ordinary -- whether good or bad -- happens, God is communicating with you.  Sick?  Communication.  Healthy?  Communication.  See a waterfall?   Communication.  Contemplate bumble bee wings?  Communication.

In short, there's really nothing left over in the human experience that can't be interpreted as communication.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is neither a riddle nor

This is neither a riddle nor a question.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:This is neither a

Quote:
This is neither a riddle nor a question.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a Reverse Poe Winner!

Books about atheism

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL

LOL

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I've been working on a

I've been working on a corrolary to Poe's Law for some time, and I haven't quite figured it out yet, but I suspect it may be something like this:

It is impossible for a theist to tell when an atheist is parodying the theist position without the addition of smileys.

Books about atheism

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Hi Ciarin. Nice to see

Hi Ciarin. Nice to see you're still around....

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:It is

Hambydammit wrote:

It is impossible for a theist to tell when an atheist is parodying the theist position without the addition of smileys.

Interestingly enough, atheists always notice when a theist is trying to parody atheists because it'll be a strawman. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Interestingly

Quote:
Interestingly enough, atheists always notice when a theist is trying to parody atheists because it'll be a strawman.

I've always put it this way.  Maybe this can be Hambydammit's Law or something like that...

"Theists pretending to be atheists will always be caught by atheists.  If they understood atheism well enough to imitate it, they'd be atheists."

Books about atheism

Kavis
atheist
Kavis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I've

Hambydammit wrote:

I've been working on a corrolary to Poe's Law for some time, and I haven't quite figured it out yet, but I suspect it may be something like this:

I thought most laws assumed the universe works the same backwards as well as forwards, as long as you account for electrical charge.

Religion is a virus.
Fight the infection.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I've always put it this way.  Maybe this can be Hambydammit's Law or something like that...

"Theists pretending to be atheists will always be caught by atheists.  If they understood atheism well enough to imitate it, they'd be atheists."

Not really. I've been mistaken for atheist in chat rooms alot.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Not really. I've

Quote:

Were you trying to pretend to be atheist?

If not, the law doesn't apply to you.  I also can't imagine why you would want to do so.  The only theists I know of who would be interested in doing so are the ones who don't understand it well enough to imitate it.  That's how the law works Smiling

Books about atheism

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Were you trying to pretend to be atheist?

If not, the law doesn't apply to you.  I also can't imagine why you would want to do so.  The only theists I know of who would be interested in doing so are the ones who don't understand it well enough to imitate it.  That's how the law works Smiling

No, I was just being me. Since I side with atheists on many topics, it's assumed I'm an atheist.