Poll:Should Religon get Special Privilages like with Anti-Blasphemy Laws ?

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Poll:Should Religon get Special Privilages like with Anti-Blasphemy Laws ?

I just saw this poll on "about atheism" and I wondered how RRS people stacked up to the numbers.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
This should be a no brainer

This should be a no brainer to all.

However, the well intended do not understand that use of government to force the silence of others through blasphemy laws is a bad idea.

Atheists have been equated to immorality and monsters like Hitler and Po-Pot. Certainly ignorant and bigoted statements.

BUT also living in a majority Christian nation it is a bad idea to hand lawmakers and courts the ability to decide what one can or cannot say. To hand the government that kind of power could potentially make it illegal to say, "Jesus is a myth". Certainly many Christians find it offensive.

The better tactic is to use the same free market of free speech to compete without demanding the silence via force of government. We as atheists have increasingly put up billboards and adds in newspapers and have had famous atheists on the news, and this trend is increasing in the west.

The last thing we should do as a minority is to hand our governments the power to silence us by creating politically correct laws.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog