In Case You Haven't Seen the News, Michael Jackson is Dead

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
In Case You Haven't Seen the News, Michael Jackson is Dead

CNN wrote:
Entertainer Michael Jackson has died after being taken to a hospital on Thursday after suffering cardiac arrest, according to multiple reports including the Los Angeles Times and the Associated Press. CNN has not confirmed his death.

I'm not really sure what to say about this, or how it is relevant to anything at all, but it seems significant.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
*looks into a

*looks into a mirror*

Michael Jackson...

Michael Jackson...

*breathe*

Michael Jackson...

... nuthin... I think he's still alive Hamby O_o

What Would Kharn Do?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, it could be that

Well, it could be that some reporter mistook Farah Fawcett's corpse for Michael Jackson...

I dunno... a little makeup... dye job... I dunno.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Well, it

Hambydammit wrote:

Well, it could be that some reporter mistook Farah Fawcett's corpse for Michael Jackson...

If there was ever an insult, to bring a vengeful soul back from the great beyond, im guessing that would do it ^_^

Show of hands who wants to be haunted by Farah?

What Would Kharn Do?

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think I'll go pour myself

I think I'll go pour myself a nice tall frosty mug of "Whogivesafuck" juice, and have myself a laugh.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Having said

Brian37 wrote:

Having said that, why should the suffering of Iranians wanting freedom be pushed out of the spotlight because an entertainer or actress dies?

Because Guys around the world lost a fap target

and

Young boys everywhere no longer need to check under their bed for the boogeyman

What Would Kharn Do?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
The Doomed Soul

This comment has been moved here.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Having said that, why should the suffering of Iranians wanting freedom be pushed out of the spotlight because an entertainer or actress dies?

Because Guys around the world lost a fap target

and

Young boys everywhere no longer need to check under their bed for the boogeyman

Jackson may have been the title of the thread, but the SUBJECT content of my message is WHY do people who really only contribute a luxury to life, get more attention than people who are really suffering? Why do we pay pro sports figures more than teachers?

I do get the attention. Lets face it, if a famous atheist singer, or actor or comedian dies, and they have, we pay attention to it.

But, right now Iran is in turmoil, North Korea is threatening us, yet those REAL issues that affect the world, get pushed off the radar.

I am not blasting you for your blasphemy, believe me. When I die, if my detractors poke fun of me, it will be fair game. BUT, if I were famous for merely being an actor, or entertainer, I would hope people would focus on more important issues than the death of one person.

It is not that people pay attention to the death of the famous in TV/MOVIE/MUSIC, but why does it get more attention than Dar Fur  or Iran?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Michael Jackson dead at 50.

No joke, all over the news.

I do get it, for the fans, even though I wasn't, I do understand the attention. I found out that Farah died this morning losing her battle with cancer. She was my first boyhood crush.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Anyone want to take bets on

Anyone want to take bets on how long it takes some nutjob to put up an Area 51/ X-Files website claiming that Jackson and Elvis were spotted at a McDonalds in Kalamazoo.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Having said

Brian37 wrote:

Believe me Brian, I feel pretty assured that the media reporting that Farrah died of cancer or Michael Jackson died of cardiac arrest will not push the Iranian political quagmire out of the limelight for very long.  

For a nostalgic example, remember waaaay back when Jimmy Hendrix's death was a hot news item ?  .....did the national media fail to continue covering the Viet Nam war just because it took the time to report a celebrity died of a drug overdose ? 

Iran will continue to dominate the news.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
 EM JAAAYYYYYYYY!!!! That

EM JAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!

That sucks. Whatever an oddity he was (I don't buy the childmolestation charges, which he was found not guilty of), he was also a terrific philanthropist, so he'll be missed. I imagine it was the decades of mutilating his own body due to his security issues that did him in at such a relatively early age.

Ah well. His music lives on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqxo1SKB0z8&feature=channel

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Devout catholic

Hambydammit wrote:

I hear Farah had her last rites ceremony done.  Isn't this just a little hypocritical of the whole catholic religion thing.  She was said to be a devout catholic, and yet was living in sin.  Gawd I hate religious people, with the whole do as I say, not as I do.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Believe me Brian, I feel pretty assured that the media reporting that Farrah died of cancer or Michael Jackson died of cardiac arrest will not push the Iranian political quagmire out of the limelight for very long.  

For a nostalgic example, remember waaaay back when Jimmy Hendrix's death was a hot news item ?  .....did the national media fail to continue covering the Viet Nam war just because it took the time to report a celebrity died of a drug overdose ? 

Iran will continue to dominate the news.

I hope so. I am not trying to minimize their deaths. They all provided us an escape. But when I think of Neda, and her fearlessness which I could never compete with, she is the hero, they were merely our release from the harsh realities of the world.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:remember way back when Jimi Hendrix......

died etc. Yes I do remember,I was taken guitar lessons before he died, and when I heard the news,it really stunned me,sooo young.His influenced changed my hearing on the way a guitar could be played.WoW And I remember him on the Dick Cavett show saying that he was very impressed with this 10 year old kid,named Michael Jackson (he saw him on The Ed Sullivan show) One of my favorite song is "Man in the Mirror". A lot of post say who cares he was only an entertainer,but I think he was a little bit more than that ,he was the first black musician on MTV,and a part of our culture. 

Signature ? How ?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Jackson may

Brian37 wrote:

Jackson may have been the title of the thread, but the SUBJECT content of my message is WHY do people who really only contribute a luxury to life, get more attention than people who are really suffering? Why do we pay pro sports figures more than teachers.

I do get the attention. Lets face it, if a famous atheist singer, or actor or comedian dies, and they have, we pay attention to it.

But, right now Iran is in turmoil, North Korea is threatening us, yet those REAL issues that affect the world, get pushed off the radar.

I am not blasting you for your blasphemy, believe me. When I die, if my detractors poke fun of me, it will be fair game. BUT, if I were famous for merely being an actor, or entertainer, I would hope people would focus on more important issues than the death of one person.

It is not that people pay attention to the death of the famous in TV/MOVIE/MUSIC, but why does it get more attention than Dar Fur  or Iran?

I agree, however Iran is WAY on the otherside of the world (the view of many people I do believe at this moment of time) M.J. died in our backyard per se...oh and he's english speaking celebrity, known throughout the world and has sold somewhere around 750 million records, plus the money he gave away to charity, and an odd ball that was in the tabloids for so long, this will dominate the new for the next few days, say 2 or 3, then Iran and North Korea will be back. It's always this way, unless the celebrity is really really old, george burns, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, etc, etc. But the world issues will always come to the forefront. Just sometimes people need a break and when it's given the media will take that break.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
I won't lie, Michael Jackson

I won't lie, Michael Jackson used to be my absolute favorite, and I've maintained immense respect for him as a genuine pop juggernaut despite the influence that punk rock has had on me over the years. 

I'll miss him.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I've said for many years

I've said for many years that Michael Jackson was the best thing to happen to white people since Jimi Hendrix.  First, he was certainly part of the disco integration, where blacks and whites were dancing on the same floor together, but he was also the first black musician of any note to be on MTV.  Thriller was owned by more white people than black.  I don't think there was ever a comparable album before it.

In fact, I've been trying to think of any black entertainer since MJ who has completely crossed racial borders the same way, and I can't think of one.  There are an awful lot of white folks who like Outkast, but the fact is, you can go anywhere in the country, go into almost any bar or dance club, put Michael Jackson on, and everybody will love it.

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I've said for many

Quote:
I've said for many years that Michael Jackson was the best thing to happen to white people since Jimi Hendrix.  First, he was certainly part of the disco integration, where blacks and whites were dancing on the same floor together, but he was also the first black musician of any note to be on MTV.  Thriller was owned by more white people than black.  I don't think there was ever a comparable album before it.

In fact, I've been trying to think of any black entertainer since MJ who has completely crossed racial borders the same way, and I can't think of one.  There are an awful lot of white folks who like Outkast, but the fact is, you can go anywhere in the country, go into almost any bar or dance club, put Michael Jackson on, and everybody will love it.

Uh. Well, no, probably not. I mean, Mike quite literally crossed said border (...as well as the gender border, arguably). Sticking out tongue

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 LOL... that is true...

LOL... that is true... "Black or White" always seemed quite ironic to me.  Even more ironic that white people loved him when he was still black.

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
...You know, I just went a

...You know, I just went a watched Thriller again, and whatever else you happen to think about MJ... Goddamn that guy was talented. Embedding is disabled on all of his YT videos so I can only post the links, but just look at the dance scenes in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyJbIOZjS8&feature=channel

Hammer? Timberlake? Ludikrous? Please. Nobody has ever had anything at all on Michael Jackson. The choreography and just plain smoothness of what he does is a 10 out of 10, no hands down. It's like rythm was just a natural extension of himself. The vast majority of his songs are fun to listen to (even if the lyrics are usually shallow) and he hired great camera talent for his videos.

Even dead, I think he'll retain the crown as king of pop for quite some time to come. Quite possibly forever.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Thriller

Hambydammit wrote:

Thriller was owned by more white people than black.  I don't think there was ever a comparable album before it.

Actually, even though the statistics would be difficult to dig up, the fact of truly crippling poverty in the African-American community during the first 2/3 of the 20th century almost guarantees that any black artist of sufficient import was going to have more of his albums purchased  by whites than blacks.  I also seem to remember that even in the 1990's, albums were specifically marketed to whites while singles were marketed to blacks; forgot where I read that, but it was apparently record company policy back in the day.

Also, let's all keep in mind that Jacko may rise from the dead.  He clearly did so in "Thriller".

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Also, let's all keep

Quote:
Also, let's all keep in mind that Jacko may rise from the dead.  He clearly did so in "Thriller".

...We were talking about that in Skype, actually.

What do you think the odds are that his 'death' is just a huge publicity stunt for his upcoming tour? And that he just busts out on stage somwhere in his old Thriller outfit & make-up with some zombies and starts cutting rug?

70 to 1, maybe?

Pretty unlikely. But man, that'd be epic.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:...Even

Hambydammit wrote:
...Even more ironic that white people loved him when he was still black.

Even more ironic was that white people loved him more than black.

It was interesting to see the
numbers of black.people interviewed on the local news, compared to the numbers of white people interviewed on the local news.

Even L Sharpton couldn't pass up the opportunity to promote himself on the local news.

It's easy to forget that Jackson crossed-over long ago, and his audience was largely white.

For the duration of Jackson's career, the style of his music was not the popular music that IMO blacks were interested in listening to and playing.

"Pop" music has IMO by enlarge always been a style of music that whites (more than blacks) were / are interested in.

Notably, his audiences were almost entirely white IMO.

Some jerk is gonna ask me: "SO WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY!?"

My response, in advance...
Go fuck yourself.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
What is making me puke

What is making me puke beyond the unfortunate death of Farah, Ed and Michael, is that superstitious crap "Death happens in 3s".

Millions die every day around the world, death doesn't happen in 3s, death happens to all of us.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
"SO WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO

"SO WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY!?"

lol

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Just to add to the sideshow,

Just to add to the sideshow, Sapient and Kelly's best friend (all sarcasm intended) Uri Geller, has not wasted a minute puting himself back in the spotlight being interviewed by CNN on Michael Jackson's life.

I wouldn't believe Uri Geller if he told me the earth was a globe and not flat.  Uri made his living scamming gullible people and Jackson was merely one more person he could leach off of.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
speaking of paying attention

speaking of paying attention to famous people, i heard stephen hawking was in the hospital a while ago and never heard anything since... anyone know how he is doing?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:What is making

Brian37 wrote:

What is making me puke beyond the unfortunate death of Farah, Ed and Michael, is that superstitious crap "Death happens in 3s".

Millions die every day around the world, death doesn't happen in 3s, death happens to all of us.

Bah that one doesn't count for us regular poor  unknown folks, only famous people, artists really (actors, writers, singers, etc, etc, etc). That's the death of 3s.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is today, "be nice to

Is today, "be nice to pedophiles day"?? ...this sociopathic creep should have been beaten to death years ago.... I don't care how talented this kid toucher was...today the world is a better place.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Well, it

Hambydammit wrote:

Too soon for Bad Jokes but...

Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson arrive together at the pearly gates. St. Peter looks at his room vacancies and says "Sorry we've only got room for one skinny white woman today, Sorry Farah."

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Rich, I do my best to

Rich, I do my best to separate the man from the work.  Ty Cobb was an asshole and the best hitter baseball saw for 75 years.  Arthur C. Clarke had questionable sexual habits and was a talented Sci-Fi writer.  Mozart was a social incompetent who had no idea how to relate to other humans, but a supremely facile musical genius.

Hitler was very good at giving speeches.

The point is, everybody's got their bad and their good points.  It's rewriting history to only focus on one, even if it was a big one.  MJ was a great musician and he was probably a pedophile.  I think it's important to acknowledge and remember both.

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Is today, "be nice to

Quote:
Is today, "be nice to pedophiles day"?? ...this sociopathic creep should have been beaten to death years ago.... I don't care how talented this kid toucher was...today the world is a better place.

I'm unconvinced he was a pedophile. He only had 2 accusers I'm aware of (the '04 accuser and... I believe it was a '93 accuser? Maybe '94?), and neither had any evidence nor credibility. The '04 accuser had regularly fabricated stories on his mother's behalf, including past stories of sexual abuse, in order for her to file lawsuits, while the earlier accuser was just, well, lolwut. Jackson was defended by the vast majority of his friends and family, as well as a number of terminally ill children he'd spent time with.

Being weirdo and caring for sick kids does automatically make someone a sex offender.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Being

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Being weirdo and caring for sick kids does automatically make someone a sex offender.

Glad we can all see eye to eye!

What Would Kharn Do?

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only shame is that he

The only shame is that he died 25 years too late. Had he died a quarter century ago he'd always be remembered for his talent. Instead he'll always be remembered as a self mutilating, drug addicted, pederast. 

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Fuck Michael Jackson.

Fuck Michael Jackson. Billy Mays is dead.

Good night Sweet pitchman.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I heard that he wanted to be

I heard that he wanted to be cremated and have his ashes used to make plastic bags so that he can still pose a threat to children.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
It wouldn't surprise me if

It wouldn't surprise me if the 3 major TV networks have another MJ movie mini-series within 3 months, followed by an MJ movie in theaters within a year.

Everyone's milking it to death.