Could faith save us in an emergency?

Rising Sun
User is offlineOffline
Could faith save us in an emergency?

Just wondering what all of you think about this scenario.  In a life or death situation, do you believe it is it possible that having faith in something beyond our puny ideas could save us if we were put into a situation that demanded trust in something behond ourselves?  Could this belief have anything to do with the end result which is survival? 

Rising Sun
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:manofmanynames

Nikolaj wrote:

manofmanynames wrote:
Surely, faith, is often the sustaining of hope among poor and depraved communities through out the world, the last remaining refuge to starve off despair. 

In fact evangelical atheist are often motivated by faith, faith in a belief that mankind will ultimately be liberated by atheism, that the spreading of atheism, allows men to break off the chains that have been keeping the down, from being their true moral character. Faith is sort of like the fuel that keeps them foaming i mean going. It's faith, not derived by reason, or logic, but derived by the sure awe and allure they afford their own disbelief, to give it powers that it doesn't actually possess.

So remind my again MoMN: you believe in completely unfounded superstitions because atheists also believe certain things without evidence?

You: "Atheists have faith too!"

Me: "So...?"

Me: "Though I can't ultimately prove it, I hope that one day everyone in the world will be well educated and safe, thus making them very resistant to superstition. Apart from hoping, I also see in history, current social statistics, and my own personal experience, that such an outcome is not at all unlikely"

You: "Though I can't ultimately prove it, I believe that it is a fact of the universe that a man was born of a virgin and later rose from the dead and/or that I will live for eternity and/or I will be reincarnated and/or a man met the Arch Angel Gabriel and wrote down God's law, as dictated by said angel, and later flew on a winged horse to heaven. I choose to believe some of these claims while discarding the rest as obvious superstitions."

How is it that yours and my position are equally valid?

And furthermore, if you insist they are equally valid, how is that an argument for choosing your position over mine? They are equally valid remember?

Quote:
To Rising Sun

I think the heart of your question is in thinking of Holocaust survivors. Did their superstitious faith help them? Possibly, but if so how?

By strenghening their immune system through positive thinking?

If so, it isn't really their faith that's helping them, it's positive thinking, which of course could just as easily come about by thinking about seeing their family again.

If a group of dyed-in-the-wool atheists were rounded up in a concentration camp, do you think fewer of them would survive than a group of people who had some form of superstitious faith?

Or do you think that some would die and some would live, the ones surviving being a mixture of people in good physical condition, some that were just lucky, and some through shear force of will, spurred on in part by faith in a better tomorrow/faith in a love of their family/faith in the rightiousness of their cause, and the wrongfulness of their captors?

I think that there would be a mixture.

Quote:
If faith sometimes saves people in crisis then that is only relevant of lack of faith means a higher likelyhood of dying in a crisis.

Otherwise it simply means that sometimes, when people survive crisis, a strong willpower, spurred on by an arbitrary conviction, superstitious or otherwise, is part of the reason for them surviving.

Lack of faith could put someone in a position where they become despondent.  In that sense, they could end up contributing to their own demise because they lose the motivation to do what it takes in order to survive.  In other words, if you don't believe there is a chance  to get out alive, then this belief (or lack of faith that you can survive) could turn into a self-fulling prophesy in that you begin to sabatage yourself by giving up too soon.

Quote:
So your question is only relevant if you are prepered to believe that being atheistic makes you inherently more vulnerable as a person.

Judging from your comments you don't seem to be the kind of person who would make such a judgement, but if you are then you need to back that up with hard evidence, because I hope you can see how potentially offensive the implications of your question could be.

I am not here to judge anyone's worldview.  I am sorry if my belief in a higher intelligence, and that faith in a crisis could help a person survive, automatically means that I am judging atheists because my comment would imply that atheists might be more vulnerable in such a crisis.  This is not at all valid.  I am not purposely out to offend anyone.  This is a debate and as such I should be able to express what I believe.

Quote:
You seem like a friendly and openminded person so I don't think you really want to make that judgement. I think what you are really interested in is the question you posed later about, if faith has at some point saved somebody, like say a holocaust surviver, then is that faith bad?

To which my answer is: of course not. Faith is never bad in and of itself. It is only when faith leads you to make bad decisions that it becomes bad.

Let me give you an example from my own life, and one I think most people, atheist and theist alike can relate to.

A few years ago now I met a girl that I fell in love with and she with me, and we were in a nice, and very young relationship.

At the hight of passion I had faith that she and I were gonna last for ever, that we were perfectly capable of making it work, so to speak.

That is, I had faith in this, because I had no real evidence to support that notion, since our relationship was only six months in, but I still believed it.

So there you have it: I had faith because I had no evidence at all about the potential futures of our relationship, and yet I still believed in one specific outcome.

Mind you there was no evidence to suggest it wasn't gonna last either, so my faith was completely harmless at this point, and certainly served to make me happy at the time.

So a completely harmless, and indeed positive faith, that made me happy.

But of course the blissful young love didn't last forever, and the evidence soon started mounting up that she and I were probably gonna have a hard time making it work in the long term. She was alot younger than I was, and we were at very different stages at our lives, ultimately wanting different things, and this started manifesting itself in all sorts of ways. Her behavior changed, my behavior changed, our talks about the future changed, my friends and family started expressing doubts about the stability of our relationship and so on.

That is, I still had faith that we could, and would make it last, but now there was mounting evidence that that was not the case.

So now my faith was no longer harmless, because I was pained by the mounting evidence against it. I didn't let go of it, mind! I simply became more and more frustrated with the difficulty of holding on to it in the face of more and more evidence against it. I have finally let go of course, and that is a burden lifted from my shoulders, but it took me alot longer than the time it took for sufficient evidence against me to accumilate.

So as you can hear, it is certainly possible to have a faith that is in no way impeeding to your life, but it can quickly turn painful when the evidence against it starts showing up.

Had I been right about us, I wouldn't have suffered the pain of having an unfounded belief challenged of course.

But then, if we really had stayed together, the initial faith I had, would still have disappeared over time in the face of the positive evidence that we really were making it work, as I had originally assumed on no evidence.

If she had moved in with me, if we'd gotten engaged, had children, all the while affirming our love for eachother regularly, all of this would be evidence in favor of the two of us having what it takes to make it work and then it wouldn't be faith I had, but rather a reasonable assumption based on the accumilated evidence.

So that analogy has the following relation to religious faith:

It is certainly possible to hold a belief with no evidence that is not harmful to you in anyway, and may even bring you comfort and joy, like my belief in my relationship while it was still young and passionate.

But if there is mounting evidence that your faith is wrong, then it brings you internal discomfort and grief as you cling to it, and you are better off letting it go, because it really is unfounded, and always has been: that's the definition of faith after all: belief without evidence. So while it may not cause you harm while it is unchallenged, as soon as you begin to discover counter-evidence it will plunge you deeper and deeper into confussion and frustration.

And that's just the internal grief, never mind all the bad things an unfounded belief might bring you to do to others.

It is my oppinion that any faith worth holding on to doesn't stay a faith forever. Like I said about if me and my ex had stayed together I would have slowly gone from unfounded belief to reasonable belief as the evidence of a stable relationship would manifest itself over time.

Faith in superstitious claims necessarily only have one way to go, and that's down. That's why I oppose them: because I think it is unhealthy to remain faithful in any one thing for a lifetime. You either go from unfounded faith to evidence-based expection over time, or you let go of the unfounded faith, for your own sake as much as anyone elses.

I understand your situation as many of us have suffered the same fate when it comes to relationships.  We start out hopeful, but then our hopes are dashed as everyday life starts to take its toll.  Having faith that a love connection will work out is not a bad thing, because it provides a positive outlook.  But this has to be backed up by knowledge of what keeps relationships on the right track, hard work, and a strong commitment to each other.  If any of these are not present, all the faith in the world won't change anything.  Of course,  as time goes by the viability of the relationship, or the lack thereof, begins to mount based on real feedback (or evidence).  I am not saying we should discount our experiences in place of faith, but this also doesn't mean that we should not have faith that things will work out, and at the same time not be so naiive that if it doesn't work out, we are devastated because faith alone did not come to the rescue.  Not preparing for the worst, especially in this day and age, where so many relationships are in jeopardy, is foolhardy.  I am a very cautious person, and would never allow myself to be so faithful in something that has not stood the test of time, for this would be tantamount to suicide. Sad  This reminds me of the lion in the Wizard of Oz who kept saying, I believe, I believe, I believe, but his faith did not help him when he had to walk down that hallway to meet the Wizard.  He was trying to calm himself down by trying to convince himself that there was nothing to fear, but he was scared out of his wits.  This is where having a strong faith might have helped him.  But his faith was overcome by his fear.

manofmanynames (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote: So remind my

Nikolaj wrote:

So remind my again MoMN: you believe in completely unfounded superstitions because atheists also believe certain things without evidence?

Again, all atheist don't believe in magical stuff, some do, I wouldn't say an atheist like John N. Gray, believes in superstitious things. And I have no idea as to why you would assume that my beliefs are derived because some atheist think similarly?

Quote:
Me: "Though I can't ultimately prove it, I hope that one day everyone in the world will be well educated and safe, thus making them very resistant to superstition. Apart from hoping, I also see in history, current social statistics, and my own personal experience, that such an outcome is not at all unlikely"

Well, let's see atheist make up 2.5% of the world population, most of this percentage is composed of the population of China and Russia (both of which are seeing high growth of the religious). In the US less than 0.5% of people consider themselves atheist. And so you believe that it's not unlikely that the 80% of the worlds population who lives in poverty, will eventually be safe and educated? And that the world can actually sustain the large percentage of its population living prosperously like Americans? 

And "progress" in the respect is linear, and not cyclical? That you believe based on less than a hundred or so years of history, unlike in the pattern of the rest of history are gained and lost, you see over the horizon something else that allows the world to sustain itself. 

And you believe all this is not "unlikely"? You believe this is a reasonable, logical view to hold?

Well, let's teach you something else about atheism, Atheism is not  product of education, it's a product of prosperity, it comes with notions of individuality, and people illusionary beliefs that spring from this about the power of their own reasoning and will. It comes with the illusionary beliefs that the individual atheist has overcome some difficult hurdle to get there, and has a rooted conviction, rather than realizing that their lives are fairly free of hurdles. There like individuals who trump up their strength, believe they can lift tanks, never once live in a world where lifting was necessary. They believe it's beyond them, that the depravity of civilized Japan, whose soldiers rapes and murdered a a quarter of a million people in Nanking, as one account reads: 

Quote:
"Mrs. Hsia was dragged out from under a table in the guest hall where she had tried to hide with her 1 year old baby. After being stripped and raped by one or more men, she was bayoneted in the chest, and then had a bottle thrust into her vagina. The baby was killed with a bayonet. Some soldiers then went to the next room, where Mrs. Hsia's parents, aged 76 and 74, and her two daughters aged 16 and 14. They were about to rape the girls when the grandmother tried to protect them. The soldiers killed her with a revolver. The grandfather grasped the body of his wife and was killed. The two girls were the stripped, the elder being raped by 2-3 men, and the younger by 3. The older girl was stabbed afterwards and a cane was rammed in her vagina. The younger girl was bayoneted also but was spared the horrible treatment that had been meted out to her sister and mother. The soldiers then bayoneted another sister of between 7-8, who was also in the room. The last murders in the house were of Ha's two children, aged 4 and 2 respectively. The older was bayoneted and the younger split down through the head with a sword. "

Swedish, German, and other white soldiers are beyond this right? That history teaches us that such things are not to be repeated again?

You live in a fantasy world my friend, that knows little about human nature, or it's predicament, you believe in a sort of progress no less magical than tooth fairies. In other words, you belief is "superstitious" (definition: "an irrational  arising from ignorance or fear)

Quote:
You: "Though I can't ultimately prove it, I believe that it is a fact of the universe that a man was born of a virgin and later rose from the dead and/or that I will live for eternity and/or I will be reincarnated and/or a man met the Arch Angel Gabriel and wrote down God's law, as dictated by said angel, and later flew on a winged horse to heaven. I choose to believe some of these claims while discarding the rest as obvious superstitions."

Though I don't believe in any of these things as "facts of the universe", I'd still wager that your superstitious beliefs are no less rational or reasonably held than these superstitious ones. Your reasons for why you hold your views, wouldn't be much different than the reason for why lets say a fundie theist would hold his--both would be a work of patchwork, and would be far from persuasive, and contain all sorts of gaps in connecting the dots. 

So tell me how you believe your views are more equal than theirs (about the things you mentioned)?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames

manofmanynames wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

But i find it quite depressing to believe that we are the product of a god that only desires our worship (as so many gods and goddess desire our worship). Intern the natural explanation gives us such wonder about the us 

Whose us? Natural explanation of the mechanics of the universe gives who "such awe" and wonder?

This sort of dribble is by far one of the reason i find atheist to be a pathetic joke, disconnected from the world around them. Your "awe" and "wonder" is sort of like a taste preference, you may really enjoy the taste of shit, the rest of us have decided to pass. 

Stop trying to pass off your ugly ass wife as the most beautiful women in the world. 

What? are you talking about, US is a general thing, just because you need a god to make everything ok in your pathetic world doesn't mean everyone does. It's my opinion and the opinion of many people that I have met over the years that view the world with awe of how it functions and how everything interacts, everything from mountains to living organism. To see the beauty of it all, even the ugliness. It's not my fault that your world is shit and you need a god to make it all better for your pathetic world. As for the wife comment, nice, stop projecting, if your significant other is ugly and pathetic as you, well too fucking bad.

How am I disconnected from the world exactly? Because I view it with wonder on how everthing works? I like to know how it all interacts without having to completely disconnect myself and say oh no god didit?

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote: ...I

manofmanynames wrote:
...I have no idea as to why you would assume that my beliefs are derived because some atheist think similarly?
I assume that because you use the "Atheists have faith too" argument as a justification for why you think atheism is not a worthwhile position, and therefore you are not an atheist.

You say: "Like me, atheists have faith in unfounded beliefs and therefore I'm not an atheist."

But what makes your unfounded beliefs better is what I ask?

You say: "You base your worldview on faith, I base my worldview on faith. Therefore I'm right and you're wrong"

Can you see how that's get's me confused?

manofmanynames wrote:
Well, let's see atheist make up 2.5% of the world population, most of this percentage is composed of the population of China and Russia (both of which are seeing high growth of the religious). In the US less than 0.5% of people consider themselves atheist
100% of the world's population used to believe the Earth was flat. Does that mean it was flat back then?

manofmanynames wrote:
And so you believe that it's not unlikely that the 80% of the worlds population who lives in poverty, will eventually be safe and educated? And that the world can actually sustain the large percentage of its population living prosperously like Americans?

Yes I do. I cannot possibly imagine it's going to happen in anything less then 1000 years, but yes, I think it is totally plausible in the long run.

Because a thousand years is such a long time I can't present hard evidence to support that notion, because so many things can happen in that time, but from what I know from history, human nature, and my own personal experience, I don't see that it is impossible.

How likely it is, I cannot say, because there are too many variables, but I maintain that it is possible.

So, to throw you a bone, I told you that this is equivalent to my having faith. Really it's more like I hope for this outcome, but I guess it's close enough for jazz.

My behavior is governed by my hope that we can make a better world for our descendants.

What is your behavior governed by MoMN?

manofmanynames wrote:
And "progress" in the respect is linear, and not cyclical? That you believe based on less than a hundred or so years of history, unlike in the pattern of the rest of history are gained and lost, you see over the horizon something else that allows the world to sustain itself.
I don't see it on the Horizon. I just see it as a potential future. Just like Leonardo Da Vinci couldn't have seen Space Shuttles on the horizon, but he could still hope that one day man might master mechinal flight, and he took steps in that direction.

History is certainly not linear, but neither is it cyclical. It doesn't repeat itself, or at least it hasn't yet, because in that case we should have reverted to cavemen and started over. That's what cyclical is.

It is possible that we are going to do just that at some point, at which time there will be evidence to suggest History really is cyclical, but history, as it is now has not reapeted itself, literally.

It would appear that when Agriculture was invented human civilisation went from bad to worse in many respects, as that gave rise to feudalism, institutionalized slavery, and widespread poverty (weirdly, because there was more to go around, there were now more people, and therefore more hungry people, since the strongest men would steal the weaker men's wheat/rice).

So from that one might infer that history is indeed linear, and the arrow points downwards.

But that is just the old "Fallen from Grace" paradigm. While I might have prefered to live in a small hunter gathererer group in the Stone age, over being a street urchin in a big Medieval city, I really wouldn't like either scenario very much.

manofmanynames wrote:
And you believe all this is not "unlikely"? You believe this is a reasonable, logical view to hold?

Yes I do. History changes human civilizations all the time. And sometimes it moves in one particular direction for a very long time without changing course. Wether that direction can be called "progress" is a subjective view. If you want feudalism, then alot of the world is not "progressing" since feudalism and feudalistic thinking is (granted, very slowly) on the decline.

History is not linear, since it isn't moving towards a particular goal. I am, however, moving towards a particular goal, and since history just follows the people that create it, if enough people want to stear it in the same direction I do, it will start moving the way we want it to.

manofmanynames wrote:
Well, let's teach you something else about atheism, Atheism is not  product of education, it's a product of prosperity, it comes with notions of individuality,
I completely agree. I couldn't have said it better my self. So aparantly you get my point. What is it you find so hard to believe about my vision of a potential future then?

manofmanynames wrote:
and people illusionary beliefs that spring from this about the power of their own reasoning and will.
Okay so if you believe reasoning is illusionary then how do you defend knowing anything it all?

manofmanynames wrote:
It comes with the illusionary beliefs that the individual atheist has overcome some difficult hurdle to get there, and has a rooted conviction, rather than realizing that their lives are fairly free of hurdles.
And you have arrived at this charactarization how? Have you reasoned it? My life has been completely free of hurdles. I am a very privileged person, and have never suffered any serious hardship. My atheism is excactly because I've lived a care-free life that has never imposed on me superstitious thinking, and I have never had any need to make up superstitions of my own.

Your point is?

manofmanynames wrote:
There like individuals who trump up their strength, believe they can lift tanks, never once live in a world where lifting was necessary. They believe it's beyond them, that the depravity of civilized Japan, whose soldiers rapes and murdered a a quarter of a million people in Nanking, as one account reads: (Account of natural, but horrid human behavior follows)

I don't believe such behavior is beyond me. I think it is now, because of the life I've led, but had I been stolen away as a baby, and placed with a Warlord in Africa or something, of course I could have done stuff like that.

Young men here in Denmark formed a resistance movement during WWII against the German occupation. I know that some of them, during after the occupation engaged in seriously humiliating young women who had had relationships with German soldiers, though I don't know if there was any rapes or murders, but I don't find that unlikely.

These young men were probably alot like me. And they had it in them to do these things. I don't find that at all surprising, nor do I think I am beyond it. I am just happy that my life, as it is now, makes my incapable of such terrible acts.

That is why I work for prosperity and safety for everyone. Because one really does become incapable of deplorable mistreatment of others if one is wellfed and loved.

My own force of will only plays a role at the border of my safe and content life. Hurt someone I care about, and hopefully I will be able to forgive you and move on, for the betterment of both you and I, but torture and kill my entire family, and no amount of willpower will stop me from killing myself in despair, or going on a rampage of terror against you and yours, to the detriment of both you and I, and to humanity in general.

manofmanynames wrote:
Swedish, German, and other white soldiers are beyond this right? That history teaches us that such things are not to be repeated again?

As things are now, yes they are (that is, most Swedes and Germans, not all, and certainly not all white people). But if Sweden was invaded by a tyrranical power and it's people abused and tortured, no. Also if Sweden was swayed by a fascist ideology, and it's soldiers sent to invade other countries after a long, brainwashing stint at a fascist soldier's trainingcamp, then also, no.

They are just normal human beings, like everyone else, capable of the same acts of horror as everyone else, given the right conditions.

manofmanynames wrote:
You live in a fantasy world my friend, that knows little about human nature, or it's predicament, you believe in a sort of progress no less magical than tooth fairies. In other words, you belief is "superstitious" (definition: "an irrational  arising from ignorance or fear)

I understand human nature just fine. It is you who does not understand it, if you think everyone is just a rapist and murderer waiting for a chance to show their true colours.

Tell me, do you think yourself such a person? No? Well then what is it that makes you special?

manofmanynames wrote:
me wrote:

Though I don't believe in any of these things as "facts of the universe", I'd still wager that your superstitious beliefs are no less rational or reasonably held than these superstitious ones. Your reasons for why you hold your views, wouldn't be much different than the reason for why lets say a fundie theist would hold his--both would be a work of patchwork, and would be far from persuasive, and contain all sorts of gaps in connecting the dots. 

So tell me how you believe your views are more equal than theirs (about the things you mentioned)?

My views on human nature, and my views on the truth-claims of various superstitions are two different things. If a "fundie" believes humans can better themselves partly through will, but mostly through being given the right opportunities, then that fundie and I are in agreeance concerning human nature.

Wether I agree with that person if they believe they'll survive death, or that a particular man was born of a virgin, is a different matter entirely.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

cervello_marcio
Superfan
cervello_marcio's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:What's

manofmanynames wrote:

What's weird is that you often hear Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens and other atheist characterize atheist of communist era Russia as being "religious", with their images of Stalin, without realizing that their own beliefs, the mastubortory fawning over all things science, and the supposed magical shit it can do, isn't all that much different

No I think they understand the similarity quite clearly. All three of them have referenced Einstein's and Hawking's "religious" appreciations for the mechanics of the universe. However, it is quite different in intent from Stalinist Russia, where worship of the nation-state was compulsory. Their respect for the wonder of the universe is born of free will and sober rationality. I'd also like to point out that their comparison of Russia to a religion is a redressing of the idea that the country was an atheistic state under Stalin and therefore all atheists are pinko muderers etc. Furthermore, the "magical shit science supposedly can do" (really?) has yielded what great things? I bet you can think of about ten right off the top of your head. On the other hand, worship of the state yielded ___? So it's pretty clear where the similarities end. 

That being said, do you really not see anything terrific in the natural mechanics of the universe? To each their own I suppose. 

"Do not, as some ungracious pastors do, show me the steep and thorny way to heaven. Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine, himself the primrose path of dalliance treads. And recks not his own rede."

Rising Sun
User is offlineOffline
cervello_marcio

Please go to the next post.

Rising Sun
User is offlineOffline
cervello_marcio

cervello_marcio wrote:

manofmanynames wrote:

What's weird is that you often hear Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens and other atheist characterize atheist of communist era Russia as being "religious", with their images of Stalin, without realizing that their own beliefs, the mastubortory fawning over all things science, and the supposed magical shit it can do, isn't all that much different

No I think they understand the similarity quite clearly. All three of them have referenced Einstein's and Hawking's "religious" appreciations for the mechanics of the universe. However, it is quite different in intent from Stalinist Russia, where worship of the nation-state was compulsory. Their respect for the wonder of the universe is born of free will and sober rationality. I'd also like to point out that their comparison of Russia to a religion is a redressing of the idea that the country was an atheistic state under Stalin and therefore all atheists are pinko muderers etc. Furthermore, the "magical shit science supposedly can do" (really?) has yielded what great things? I bet you can think of about ten right off the top of your head. On the other hand, worship of the state yielded ___? So it's pretty clear where the similarities end. 

That being said, do you really not see anything terrific in the natural mechanics of the universe? To each their own I suppose. 

Even though this post was not addressed to me personally, I began this thread so I feel it's okay to answer.  If this is wrong, let me know.  I really don't see where this argument proves that either side of this debate is without some legitimate justification.  Religion is constantly condemned for those leaders who abused the most sacred teachings.  It doesn't mean the wisdom of these teachings is invalid, but it does cause people to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Ironcially, the same thing is happening with attacks on atheists, which causes so much defensiveness.  It goes back and forth like a ping pong ball, but who is the winner here?  No one, because there is no joining hands for the benefit of all.  It is a selfish game of 'I know better.'  As a consequence, the simple difference in point of view morphs into something much more sinister.  I believe there is wisdom in religion but it cannot be heard because of the preaching and proseletyzing.  And there is truth in atheism (i.e. that we don't necessarily have to live our lives believing in a personal god to succeed and be happy).  When will we all come together in peace?  Probably never, because people have a strong stake in their position.  It's funny because the things that atheists detest are the same things that religion detests; evil in all of its forms.  Religion's attack on atheism is a protective mechanism and atheisms retaliation comes from many years of religious repression.  Under any circumstances, people do not like to be manipulated or preached to.  It is an affront to individualism.  This is the deeper problem; not so much as whether god exists or not.  I believe this is at the core of the apparent intolerance for each other's worldview.  Where is the difference between this and the religious wars that have started over whose god is real? Sad  This is no different, and in some ways worse because the intolerance for one another is disguised in a structure of intellectual debate that sanctions it without question.

Rising Sun
User is offlineOffline
Rising Sun

Rising Sun wrote:

cervello_marcio wrote:

manofmanynames wrote:

Even though this post was not addressed to me personally, I began this thread so I feel it's okay to answer.  If this is wrong, let me know.  I really don't see where this argument proves that either side of this debate is without some legitimate justification.  Religion is constantly condemned for those leaders who abused the most sacred teachings.  It doesn't mean the wisdom of these teachings is invalid, but it does cause people to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Ironcially, the same thing is happening with attacks on atheists, which causes so much defensiveness.  It goes back and forth like a ping pong ball, but who is the winner here?  No one, because there is no joining hands for the benefit of all.  It is a selfish game of 'I know better.'  As a consequence, the simple difference in point of view morphs into something much more sinister.  I believe there is wisdom in religion but it cannot be heard because of the preaching and proseletyzing.  And there is truth in atheism (i.e. that we don't necessarily have to live our lives believing in a personal god to succeed and be happy).  When will we all come together in peace?  Probably never, because people have a strong stake in their position.  It's funny because the things that atheists detest are the same things that religion detests; evil in all of its forms.  Religion's attack on atheism is a protective mechanism and atheisms retaliation comes from many years of religious repression.  Under any circumstances, people do not like to be manipulated or preached to.  It is an affront to individualism.  This is the deeper problem; not so much as whether god exists or not.  I believe this is at the core of the apparent intolerance for each other's worldview.  Where is the difference between this and the religious wars that have started over whose god is real? Sad  There is no difference in my view, and in some ways worse because the intolerance for one abother is disguised in a structure of intellectual debate that encourages the taking of sides which only deepens the wounds, not heals them.