Personal God versus Universal Intelligence

Rising Sun
User is offlineOffline
Personal God versus Universal Intelligence

I hope we can continue to conversation here.  My thread would not open up, and I couldn't read the posts.  I hope this works.

Rising Sun
User is offlineOffline
Quote:thatonedude

Quote:
thatonedude wrote:

Rising Sun wrote:

It might not matter whether you believe in philosophical or absolute free will, but it makes a world of difference if you believe in free will regardless of what type.  Moreover, to separate physical determinism from absolute free-will seems more for convenience rather than truth.  Compatabalism never made sense to me except to try to fit a round ball into a square.

Not at all. I am always operating on inputs. It does not matter if those inputs are determined or not. From an individual's point of view, the result is the same. And it has no bearing on intelligent design at all.

It might not change your position on evolution, but it certainly has an impact on how we behave.

Quote:

Yet, somehow you believe that something much more complex, your "underlying intelligence," did just that. You have no trouble imagining a mind capable of creating and ordering a universe just popping into existence, but the universe is too much for you?

Huh?  I never said anything about a mind capable of creating and ordering a universe by just popping into existence.  I don't know where you got that from.

Quote:
[Rising Sun=quote]

I am not sure why I'm here.  I guess I'm trying to hear your point of view, as well as defend mine.  I'm also trying to understand the goal.  It seems like everyone is trying to persuade the other to convert.

ThatOneDude wrote:
I'm not interested in conversions, but rather conversations. I fight against ID because it is a religious sham being foisted on the educational system. I have children in these school systems, and if I wanted them to hear religious propaganda, I'd send them to Ken Ham's "museum." I'd rather my tax dollars be burned in a barrel than go towards the undermining of science and rational thought that keeps getting shoved into schools.

I wouldn't want my children to be indoctrinated with religious progaganda either.  But to say the pledge of allegiance is not such a terrible thing.   

Quote:

I would like to read this book.  I will see if it's in the library.  Do you know the name of it?

ThatOneDude wrote:
Jerry A. Coyne. "Why Evolution is True." Link to the book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Why-Evolution-True-Jerry-Coyne/dp/0670020532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245874528&sr=8-1

If your library doesn't have it, request it through the inter-library loan service. Most libraries are a part of that.

I would also recommend Carl Sagan's "The Demon Haunted World" which is about skepticism and science: http://www.amazon.com/Demon-Haunted-World-Science-Candle-Dark/dp/0345409469/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245874666&sr=1-1

You can also find an excellent list of suggested reading at the end of Jerry's book. Richard Dawkins has several excellent books about evolution. And of course, not reading "The Origin of Species" is leaving out the seminal work in the field.

Thank you.  I wrote the names down and I will try to get them so that I can have a more constructive conversation.

Quote:

Right. But your premise was that evolution would appear in increments.  His math would be wrong in this case, but right now we are still debating over the validity of Darwinian evolution, aren't we?  Until it's proven to be absolutely factual, isn't everything else that follows based on conjecture?  We can surmise, but we can't know for sure.  The jury is still out.

I won't respond aside from saying that you need to start reading some of the books I linked. The only people still debating evolution are doing so from an explicitly religious standpoint. They are distorting evolution for religious and political gain.

Quote:

This IS the crux of the problem because if these laws were able to create peace on earth, this intelligence would seem more real, wouldn't it?  What if these very laws could prevent what our legal system could not?  What then?  Would that change your point of view to accomodate this new knowledge?

ThatOneDude wrote:
No, because it is obvious that they are oblivious to human concerns. Inertia is the same, whether it's acting on a ball hit off a child's bat or acting on a .45 slug entering that same child's skull. Fusion is fusion, whether it's warming my skin on a beach or inflicting cellular damage which will cause me to die of skin cancer. Physical laws are not good or bad, they just are. And they certainly don't "create peace on earth." That has never existed, and never will.

That's where we part ways.  Just because something has been a certain way for years, doesn't mean it has to be that way forever.  Our greatest visionaries knew that and that is why they were able to think outside of the box.

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
To start, please either use

To start, please either use your quotes up or cut and paste responses into a window with some text like "You said:" to mark out the paragraphs. It's very hard to read your responses when formatted like you do.

Rising Sun wrote:

It might not change your position on evolution, but it certainly has an impact on how we behave.

How so? I am reacting to my history and my current situation. It doesn't matter whether those things are dictated by a physically deterministic universe or not. I'm still in the same situation, facing it with the same history(memory, training, etc). The result will be the same either way.

Quote:

Huh?  I never said anything about a mind capable of creating and ordering a universe by just popping into existence.  I don't know where you got that from.

Are we not discussing the idea of an underlying "universal intelligence?" Granted, we've veered off into intelligent design at this point. Are you now saying that you are not promoting the idea of an intelligence which constituted and guides this universe?

Quote:

I wouldn't want my children to be indoctrinated with religious progaganda either.  But to say the pledge of allegiance is not such a terrible thing.   

What? I know what you are referring to, but why would this even enter into it? I say the pledge and leave out the "under god" bit as I'm not going to publicly lie. This has absolutely nothing to do with fighting ID in the classroom, and this is the first time it's been mentioned.

Quote:

Thank you.  I wrote the names down and I will try to get them so that I can have a more constructive conversation.

You are welcome. I have a copy of that and many other science books that I keep on hand for my own reference and to lend out to interested parties.

Quote:

That's where we part ways.  Just because something has been a certain way for years, doesn't mean it has to be that way forever.  Our greatest visionaries knew that and that is why they were able to think outside of the box.

Do not presume that I am a pessimist. I am not. But peace on earth is impossible. Organisms are competitive. This includes humans. Resources are limited. This includes the resources humans need and desire. The universe does not care about our happiness. Volcanoes, earthquakes, tidal waves, mudslides, hurricanes, drought, erosion, desertification, etc. If every human became perfectly rational and all inter-human strife ceased immediately, we would still be struck with disaster after disaster. That's why I say that there won't be peace on earth.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
To quote something, enclose

To quote something, enclose the word 'quote' in square brackets at the beginning and end of the section of text you want. Add a backslash after the left square bracket at the end of the section of text. Like this:

[quote ]Hello.[ /quote]

Only, without the spaces.

Quote:
Hello.

If you want the quote box to refer to the person you are quoting, add an equal sign after the initial 'quote,' and then the username of the person you're quoting.

[ quote=butterbattle ]Hello.[ /quote]

butterbattle wrote:
Hello

Also, concerning transitional fossils, if a transitional form is a species that lies between the species that exists prior to it and the one that exists after it, then every fossil, by definition, is a transitional fossil. It's not like there are "normal" species bridged by transitional periods. Any species that might exist at any time IS in a transitional period, for evolution is happening constantly, from generation to generation.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Also,

butterbattle wrote:

Also, concerning transitional fossils, if a transitional form is a species that lies between the species that exists prior to it and the one that exists after it, then every fossil, by definition, is a transitional fossil. It's not like there are "normal" species bridged by transitional periods. Any species that might exist at any time IS in a transitional period, for evolution is happening constantly, from generation to generation.

Indeed. This is why I keep pushing him/her to read some overview of evolution at the very least.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.