TAG

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
TAG

I'm a theist and I rarely see this argument dealt with here.  It is a personal favorite of mine. 

(1) Rationality exists

(2) The standards by which rationality is judged are the three logical principles: (a) non-contradiction, (b) excluded middle, (c) identity.

(3) The three principles are ontologically dependent upon thought.

(4) The three principles are universal and a priori.

(5) Only a thinking being which is eternal, immutable, and infallible can account for the universality and  a priority of the three principles.

Objection #1: The logical principles are simply descriptions of the behavior of the universe.

Response: If that's true, then they cannot be a priori.  Statements regarding the behavior of the universe are a posteriori.  This would reduce logical principles to inductive statements.  This, in turn, would compromise their universality.  It is impossible for us to observe the entire universe, so how could we know that the logical principles apply to the entire universe?  At best, we could formulate them as scientific laws which are potentially revisable. 

Beyond that, saying that they are descriptions of the universe does not account for the fact that the process of perception and the scientific method itself requires the employment of these principles, which means that they would have to already be in place within us.  Even when life begins, anything you experience is subject to your a priori judgments.  When you were a baby, your perception of a bottle required you to judge that the bottle was a bottle and was not a non-bottle.  It wasn't conscious, but you were doing it.

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Anon O Moose wrote:Todangst

Anon O Moose wrote:

Todangst isn't going to be offended if you don't respond to him, but I feel a little unloved, especially since my post was much shorter and generally easier to follow (I think... but then all of my thoughts are generally easier for me to understand since I'm the one who thought them).

Sorry, your posts got lost in the shuffle.  I'll respond later.

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Anon O Moose wrote:Hello

Anon O Moose wrote:

Hello Sleepy,  just wanted to share some thoughts with you.

I think you've confused causality in your responce to objection #1.  Transcendental laws -> the universe -> the mind -> logic which is indeed an approximation of the transcendental laws because, as you pointed out, our minds do not the totality of the universe make.  Transcendental laws = a priori.  Logic = a posteriori.  See the difference?

I never asserted that the logical principles had a causal relationship to anything.  The laws of logic do not cause the universe, nor does the universe cause the mind and the mind does not cause logic.  The relationship between the principles and the universe is simply that the universe behaves in accordance with the standards, in a descriptive sense. 

The relationship between the mind and logic is one of ontological dependence.  Logic cannot exist without a mind, since logic is by its very nature a process of the mind.  Likewise, the same applies to the logical principles. 

You are apparently falling back on the idea that they are not conceptual.  Then what are they? 

Quote:
Response #5, logic is a concept, transcendental laws (what I assume you mean by 'logical principles') are not.  For example, you draw a picture of an apple which you see on a table.  The picture you've drawn is a physical representation of what you see.  The idea of 'apple' which you think and imagine in you're mind is conceptual.  The apple which you see is physical and exists apart from your ability to see it.  Therefore, apples are not conceptual whereas the thought 'apple' is.

LOGIC is a process.  It is the employment of the three fundamental logical principles in order to foster coherence and understanding. 

Are you saying that the logical absolutes are physical?

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:How do you

todangst wrote:

How do you account for the 'laws of logic' in a materialistic universe.

The laws of logic? Which set of laws? For which logic? First-order logic, first-order predicate logic, second-order predicate logic, modal logic, fuzzy logic? Which one? Logic is not a monolithic entity, and there is no one set of 'laws' for all of logic. Not all logical systems even require axioms. The set of axioms for the sentential, or propositional, logic is {} - the empty set:

Let me ask you a question.  What do you believe to be the basis for inventing or codifying a system of logic?  You've already granted that the three logical principles are not universal and are not the standard for all systems of logic.  So what is the standard for each logical system?  Is it the behavior of the physical world?  Is it chemistry of the brain?  And by what universal standard (and there has to be one) do you suppose that we must obey each law within a given system?  Is there one all encompassing principle which governs how we treat logic for any system?  Are all these systems of logic in some sort of United Nations? 

Quote:
Now that we have done away with the blunders attached to that misunderstanding, let's explain the basic metaphysics requires for the creation of an a priori system. The only metaphysic required for the creation of an a priori system is the existence of sentient brains. The basic axioms of existence, identity and consciousness - the so called laws of reason (prior to any logical system and not part of logic itself), are necessary elements of reason; to reason one must first exist, and exist as something. These axioms are therefore implicitly inescapable - an explicit awareness of these axioms is another matter.

I guess this is your answer (and I understand that you didn't write this article).

So the underlying principles of any given logical system is based upon chemistry of the brain?  That is problematic for several reasons.  The first of which is the faith based assertion that the behavior of the brain will be necessarily uniform.  Yet the behavior of the physical brain is itself a contingent fact of reality and anything you can say about the brain will be inductive.  Furthermore, how do you know that your brain chemistry is not deceiving you?  For example, you eat a pizza at 5:00 PM and then the fire alarm goes off at 5:15 PM.  Your brain chemistry tells you that your consumption of the pizza caused the fire alarm to go off.  This of course is absurd.

And what if brain circuitry is different from person to person?  What external standard would we use to distinguish fact from fiction in that case? 

Do you not see the absurdity in this claim?

Quote:
If you are looking for a missing 'constant' for the materialistic account, it is this: the universe. You've misplaced the universe. One universe with a basic set of unavoidable, inescapable metaphysics. One universe imprinting itself onto phylogenetically similar sentient beings, who are able to draw the same abstractions from the same stimuli, based on the same rules...

No universal can be derived from a particular.  (See the rules of UI and EI in predicate logic).

Anon O Moose
User is offlineOffline
I'm going to answer you're

I'm going to answer you're last question first.  No, logical absolutes are not physical.  Rather, physicality is contigent upon the existence logical abolutes or, at the very least, logical probabilities.

I agree that you never asserted causality, however I am.  A universe cannot exist without laws to govern it (or the existence of laws and a universe are contengent upon each other),  minds cannot exist without a universe within which to exist, and logic cannot exist without a mind within which to be conceptualized.

Logic = conceptual

Mind = not conceptual

Universe = not conceptual

Transcendent laws = not conceptual

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Anon O Moose

Anon O Moose wrote:

Transcendent laws = not conceptual

Are they spiritual?

Anon O Moose
User is offlineOffline
For clarity, I'd like you to

For clarity, I'd like you to tell me whether or not you agree with my reasoning.

Also, I looked up 'spiritual' in a Merriam-Webster just to confirm my inclination to say no.  But, I suppose I might reconsider if you explain what *you* mean by spiritual.

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Anon O Moose wrote:For

Anon O Moose wrote:

For clarity, I'd like you to tell me whether or not you agree with my reasoning.

Also, I looked up 'spiritual' in a Merriam-Webster just to confirm my inclination to say no.  But, I suppose I might reconsider if you explain what *you* mean by spiritual.

Spirits are disembodied minds.

I do not agree with your reasoning. 

First of all, it is too vague to say that physicality is contingent upon the existence of logical principles.  More specifically, it is the TRUTH of physicality that is contigent on the existence of logical principles.  The same reasoning applies to you saying that the universe cannot exist without laws.  Existence is essentially a claim, not about objects themselves, but about the reality that they are said of.  It is the TRUTH of the universe which cannot exist without logical principles. 

Second, you haven't stated what the logical principles are by their nature.  What I'm asking for you to do is tell me what their category of existence is.  If they are not conceptual, then what are they?  Do not make Dillahunty's mistake and leap into nothingness in order to defend your position. 

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleepy wrote:Furthermore,

Sleepy wrote:

Furthermore, how do you know that your brain chemistry is not deceiving you?  For example, you eat a pizza at 5:00 PM and then the fire alarm goes off at 5:15 PM.  Your brain chemistry tells you that your consumption of the pizza caused the fire alarm to go off.  This of course is absurd.

And what if brain circuitry is different from person to person?  What external standard would we use to distinguish fact from fiction in that case? 

Do you not see the absurdity in this claim?

Hahaha, yeah. What if we're living inside the Matrix?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Anon O Moose
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps I should have

Perhaps I should have expounded upon physicality.  The conceptual is contingent upon the mental (mind), the mental (mind) is contingent upon the physical (minds are contegent upon brains), the physical is contingent upon the universal ( the existence of a universe within which the physical may exist.  Here's where I think we're misunderstand each other.  At this point I say the the universe is contegent or corequisite upon transcendental laws.  I think that when you say 'logical principles' you're refering to what I call transcendental laws right?  The problem as I see it is that 'logical principles' and 'transcendental laws' are not equivalent.  Logical principles, as you have said, cannot exist without logic, cannot exist without a mind.  I agree.  However, transcendental laws are not, as I attemped to show in my first post, contengent upon the existence of a mind and therefore their truth value is irrelevant except in that the existence of a mind necessitates the laws be true (because minds are contengent on their existence).

Logical principles are conceptual.  However, I'm fairly certain what you meant to ask is 'what is the nature of transcendental laws?'  To which I reply that they are transcendent.  What that means is that I can't tell you their exact nature because doing so would require that I have universal knowledge and maybe even then I'd be just one step away from complete understanding.  I can approximate.  I can tell you what they aren't.  But I'm simply unable to tell you what they are.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleepy wrote:Magus wrote:So

Sleepy wrote:

Magus wrote:

So how then is this being required for them to be?

That's all in the argument, specifically 3 through 5:

(1) Rationality exists

(2) The standards by which rationality is judged are the three logical principles: (a) non-contradiction, (b) excluded middle, (c) identity.

No. They are only dependent on a reality which can be divided into coherently distinct sets, so that at least two aspects or descriptions of reality can be distinguished, 'A' and 'B', such that A is not B.

A reality which did not support such distinctions would be utterly and totally amorphous, featureless, and utterly incompatible with the existence of any distinguishable entity with either structure or separate existence from other aspects of existence.

Even Quantum superposition is consistent with this, in that there can be systems which exist in a superposition of states, and systems which exist in a single state. Even to be able to refer to a superposition of states requires that there be at least two distinguishable states. For a statement that a system is simultaneously in state A and state B to be meaningful, state A and state B must be distinct states.

In logic, A and B are NOT states of existence, they are statements about existence.

For even a God to have more than one thought requires more than one mental state, thus assumes that one thought must be distinguishable from other possible thoughts. Again, this fundamental necessity is all that our formulation of those basic logical principles are describing.

To express it yet again, for any 'thing' to be said to exist in a reality, God or quark, requires a priori that that reality can contain that thing as well as something which is not that thing. 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:In logic, A

BobSpence1 wrote:

In logic, A and B are NOT states of existence, they are statements about existence.

Logic has to do with statements, arguments. Indeed.

On my logic website, I post this:

Logic

, (from the Greek word λόγος (

logos

), originally meaning

the word

, but also referring to

speech

or

reason

) is the science of evaluating the reasoning within

arguments

. It is a method consisting of a set of rules that tell us when an

argument's

premises support their conclusion (Hofweber 2004). Logic arose from a concern with correctness of

argumentation

(See

Aristotle

).

Surprised? People usually come to hold, through their lack of any formal training in logic, that logic is far more than it really is. Therefore, a further understanding of just what logic is, can be enhanced by delineating it from what it is not:

• Logic is not the study of what, if anything, comprises the 'groundness of being for the universe' - That's metaphysics.
  • Logic is not a set of laws that governs the universe - That's physics.
  • Logic is not an immaterial "entity" that transcends reality - Such discussions belong to the realm of theology.
  • Logic is not a method for 'studying the world' - That's science.
  • Logic is not the method for assessing axioms - That's a matter of pure reason.
  • Logic is not a way of evaluating 'truth' - That's philosophy.
  • Logic is not a set of laws that governs human behavior - That's psychology.
  • Logic is not even a study of how people reason - Fortunately there is more to human reason than just logic.

Quote:

For even a God to have more than one thought requires more than one mental state, thus assumes that one thought must be distinguishable from other possible thoughts. Again, this fundamental necessity is all that our formulation of those basic logical principles are describing.

To express it yet again, for any 'thing' to be said to exist in a reality, God or quark, requires a priori that that reality can contain that thing as well as something which is not that thing. 

I.e. to exist is to exist as something, to have identity, to have limits...

By the way... there are the actual axioms of reason!

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleepy wrote:I've addressed

Sleepy wrote:

I've addressed this in one of my objections.  Would you say that a species of individuals who are the size of subatomic particles would have a rationality that is different from ours?

Yes. What's your problem with that?

Sleepy wrote:

Would they deny that statements are either true or false?

Denial would not be not real to them. You've said yourself, to deny is grounded in the above principles, so you should already realise that a reality void of these principles would not encompass such a thing.

Sleepy wrote:

This is not a valid objection.

It's not an objection, it's a point of contention which relegates TAG to a categorical non-issue. These principles are not universal, next question.

Quote:

Can you offer me any sort of example where something is neither true nor false or that something is and is not something at the same time?

Schrodinger's Cat is just based on arbitrary criteria invented by physicists, itself requiring the employment of the fundamental logical principles.

What? You may be digging a hole for yourself with arrogance there. Schroedingers cat is a reductio ad absurdum on the universality of those three principles you're leaning on, and the criteria you're calling "arbitrary" is those principles themselves; they are employed for the purpose of showing that they lead to contradiction.

The cat itself is a metaphor for the a priori assumption that identity, non-contradiction and excluded middle are universal. ie, they apply equally to objects of relativistic and quantum magnitude. The box is a metaphor for the assumption that they hold absolutely and independently of a mind or instrument, making judgement on the state of the universe.And, finally, the intent of the macabre device is to unambiguously and correctly serve as an analogue of dichotomy, it's not about killing cats, it's about covering with extreme precision the premise that there are only two possible states for the interior of the box. The point is, if the device trips death is instantaneous. The middle is excluded with the utmost deliberation.

Ironically, Schroedinger originally intended his cat gedanken as a reductio ad asurdum on quantum theory, but it went the other way for him, and that's history.

What we find is that if the logical principles, apparently applying to the state of a cat, apply to an electron, an electron should demonstrably take a definite state within the box. We know it doesn't so this ends in contradiction and our premise fails.

Or vice versa as was intended by Schroedinger we can aproach it with the premise that the principles governing the state of an electron also govern the state of the cat and we must infer that the cat does not assume any dichotomous state in the absence of measurement. Erwin himself intended this apparent absurdity as proof that Quantum theory was flawed, but was forced to concede by the logic of his own argument that his intent was a mere appeal to emotion, and he had actually strengthened the case for probabilistic intermediate states of the cat rather than weakened it.

Returning to the case in point, that the criteria of the cat gedanken was arbitrary is, even at best, quite an ignorant thing to say.

Quote:

We have never established by any sort of observation that excluded middle does not apply, since in the very statements where it supposedly doesn't, there is an underlying assertion of the TRUTH of that statement, which in turn violates the law of non-contradiction.

So you're forwarding the argument: A statement without an excluded middle is not consistent with non-contradiction therefore a statement without excluded middle cannot apply to anything at all. This is just begging the question that the principle of non-contradiction is universal. Can you give me an argument that doesn't require it's own conclusion?

Furthermore you seem to be countering your own points in practice. You have said already, if these principles are not in place then I cannot say you're wrong, but then you still want me to give you right/wrong dichotomies to decide upon in their absence. You're aware that it's a waste of time trying to fit square pegs in round holes, right?  

Sleepy wrote:

Moreover, you misrepresent TAG.  TAG does not ask, "What came first?", since that presupposes a temporal succession of events leading to the creation of logical absolutes.  That is not part of the argument.  TAG examines the necessary CONDITIONS for rationality to be possible.

You mean a priori conditions? Then you mean "first" conditions and it is synthetic. We have this problem, whether you want it or not, these "necessary conditions for rationality" are not universal.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleepy wrote:todangst

Sleepy wrote:

todangst wrote:

No, it is correct. You are not following what a universal is, what an axiom is... this is your mistake.

Read my response to your article.  You are the one who couldn't define "axiom" properly.  Not me.

Incorrect. You get it wrong. I'll prove it yet again in this post. And your error is the very reason you get this response wrong as well. Until you get your error, you'll not even grasp why you've been refuted here.

Quote:
But NOT as an axiom to the system! 

It really doesn't matter. 

Yes it does matter! It's the entire point of the argument!  If it is not an axiom to the system, then we are not talking about underlying principles!

Quote:

We can make systems anyway we want. 

Then by definition it cannot be a underlying principle! 

Let me explain this to you again: If a statement is DERIVABLE from a system, then it is NOT AN UNDERLYING PRINCIPLE of the system!

You cannot derive underlying principles, they are axiomatic.

So, what you are saying here does the following:

1) It refutes your own argument

2) It proves that you are the one who doesn't get it.

Quote:

This has nothing to do with the UNDERLYING PRINCIPLES of rational thought.

Again, you refute yourself.

If these are underlying prinicples of all rational thought, then they cannot be derivable in any system of thought.

But they are! You yourself state so above.

Quote:

You want to deny them from the outset.  That's fine.  Do not tell me that I am wrong because you have no basis for that assertion. 

Actually, I do. You've just proven that you don't understand it.

Quote:
Please take a look at my logic site

No thanks.  The quote you've cited begs the question. 

No, it does not. You've not bothered to even attempt to demonstrate this claim, so at this point, you've made it clear that much of what I've shown you goes over your head.

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Yes. What's

Eloise wrote:

It's indemonstrable because it is illogical.  Can you demonstrate to me how it is possible?

Quote:
Denial would not be not real to them. You've said yourself, to deny is grounded in the above principles, so you should already realise that a reality void of these principles would not encompass such a thing.

"Denial would not be not real to them" is affirming that denial would be real to them.  Was that a typo?  Moreover, you are still making a truth statement about this species.  So I'm curious to know how their reality (which would physically be part of this universe) would be different from ours from a rational standpoint. 

Quote:
It's not an objection, it's a point of contention which relegates TAG to a categorical non-issue. These principles are not universal, next question.

It is an issue.  If you say that "These principles are not universal" and apply those very principles in the context of the statement that you've just made, then why should I believe you?  I'm serious.

Quote:
So you're forwarding the argument: A statement without an excluded middle is not consistent with non-contradiction therefore a statement without excluded middle cannot apply to anything at all. This is just begging the question that the principle of non-contradiction is universal. Can you give me an argument that doesn't require it's own conclusion?

So you admit that your original idea was contradictory?  

Seriously, you are leaping into nothingness to defend your position.  You are positing scenarios which are absurd and then denying that absurdity exists.

Quote:
Furthermore you seem to be countering your own points in practice. You have said already, if these principles are not in place then I cannot say you're wrong, but then you still want me to give you right/wrong dichotomies to decide upon in their absence. You're aware that it's a waste of time trying to fit square pegs in round holes, right?  

I'm demonstrating to you that saying that the principles are not universal is absurd and wrong.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleepy wrote: This is what

Sleepy wrote:

This is what YOU'VE said:  "Propositional logic is rational, but it does not rely on ANY of the axioms of syllogistic logic.  Propositional logic does not require those axioms."

So propositional logic does not require them but just HAPPENS to employ them in EVERY structured argument? 

One more time:

You are talking about underlying principles of rationality. To be an underlying prinicple is to UNDERLY A SYSTEM NOT BE DERIVABLE FROM A SYSTEM.

Quote:

Moreover, you are saying that we DERIVE these principles from logical systems that we create? 

Yes. Do you get how this refutes you yet?

Quote:
Do you not realize how absurd this is? 

I'll take that as a 'no'

I've already shown you how the law of non contradiction is derivable from the well formed formular of propositional logic. I'll show you again:

On propositional logic:

The point is that there can be no axioms in this logic, the most basic of all modern logics (there are other formulations that do have axioms, though): everything is definitional. And how does one argue with a definition? My point is: the answer to the question "why doesn't everyone accept the axioms of logic?" is that it can be the case that there's nothing to accept. Literally.

This system even allows us to create a proof for the law of non contradiction:

Proof (by reductio):

1) (A & ~A) [Proposition]
2) A [Conjunction elimination from 1]
3) ~A [Conjunction elimination from 1]
4) ~(A & ~A) [Reductio, 1 - 3]

QED

Quote:
How can we create a system of logic without a preexistent rational guiding post?  You are not making any sense.

You are mixing up two different concepts here.

Your argument declares that there are laws of rational thought that underly all logical systems. I agree with you there.

But your version of the TAG argument goes on to confuse the axioms of syllogistic logic for these axioms of reason. And I am showing you that these axioms are NOT universal.

Quote:

You are simply dropping buzzwords and shifting the conversation into areas which are not at all relevant.

Funny - you've described yourself here.

Quote:

If you haven't noticed, I've addressed your objection.  If the principle of non-contradiction is not universal, then why am I wrong?  Why can I not be both right and wrong at the same time? 

If you havent noticed, I've addressed your objection. I've already cited paraconsistent logic for you several times.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-paraconsistent/

Now, let me also remind you that I've spoken to you about defense through retortion. You didn't respond because you've likely never seen the term.

What you are using is defense through retortion. Don't get me wrong here, I tend to favor your side. However the law of non  contradiction does not apply in paraconsistent logic.

And, again, it is derivable, and not an underlying principle, in propositional logic.

And to answer your question using paraconsisten logic:

Dialetheias (True Contradictions)

Despite the fact that dialetheism and paraconsistency needs to be distinguished, dialetheism can be a motivation for paraconsistent logic. If there are true contradictions (dialetheias), i.e., there are sentences, A, such that both A and ¬A are true, then some inferences of the form {A , ¬A} ⊨ B must fail. For only true, and not arbitrary, conclusions follow validly from true premises. Hence logic has to be paraconsistent. One candidate for a dialetheia is the liar paradox. Consider the sentence: ‘This sentence is not true’. There are two options: either the sentence is true or it is not. Suppose it is true. Then what it says is the case. Hence the sentence is not true. Suppose, on the other hand, it is not true. This is what it says. Hence the sentence is true. In either case it is both true and not true. (See the entry on dialetheism in this encyclopedia for further details.)

Now, I know you go on to cite A. N. Prior's solution to the paradox (I'll leave aside that it has problems too), but this doesn't change the fact that there are paraconsistent logics that do not use the law of non contradiction. These logics work.

Quote:
Again, your supposed laws of rationality are NOT laws for rationality per se, they are the axioms of syllogistic logic. So you are, by accident, talking about a system of logic

Quote:

Umm, no. 

Umm, yes.

Quote:

Aristotle BUILT this system using the principles that I've mentioned.  You are an atheist who, in addressing the TAG argument, is laying out a certain framework that will accomodate your worldview and that includes positing that the three principles are nothing more than just general axioms of syllogistic logic. 

actualy, I'm an amateur logician who is helping to correct someone who can't work out the differnce between the laws of reason and aristotle's syllogistic axioms. I've written the logic page I've cited you.

Quote:

So Aristotle INVENTED the law of non-contradiction?

Pretty much, although its more likely that he just formalized it. Now, I'm going to watch you confuse a logical axiom with physics. Common mistake. Without further delay:

Quote:

Are you kidding me?  Was it possible for a square to be a circle before Aristotle was born?

No, but that's not an example of the law of non contradiction. The law is an axiom found in logic. Logic has to do with arguments, not things. Things don't avoid contradictions, they simply exist. They simply are.

Any entity has identity. To be one thing is to not be another. To be a square is to have a set of limits that preclude circularity.

To be a contradiction is to be a statement, or set of statements, that conflict.

Do you see the difference?

Quote:
You are trying to talk about the so called laws of reason.... which are not part of any particular logic, per se... but you've failed to actually identify the actual laws of reason.  And this is because, again, you've given the axioms of classic logic.

Quote:

Once again, you are building a framework that will accomodate a worldview and deliberately defining the logical principles into something that will prove atheism.

Oh come on, this looks like a stock reply you pull out when you've got nothing. I'm merely telling you what you'd know if you read the first chapter of a logic textbook! This has nothing to do with atheism! You simply aren't giving the laws of reason.

Quote:
1. We are talking about universality of axioms, not rules that can be dirived from a set of definitions... since propositional logic allows for a proof of the law of noncontradiction, the law is not axiomatic for propositional logic!

Quote:

How is that in any way a valid inference?  Since we can prove the law of non-contradiction using propositional logic, it therefore is not axiomatic for propositional logic?  I'm not quite seeing how this is a valid premise.

Yeah, I know.

I'll say it again:

If something underlies every system, it cannot be derived from any system, because it would already be foundational. Right? Its already axiomatic.

You can't build the basement of the building on the third floor, right?

To derive something is to take it from something more basic, i.e. something that underlies it. If you can derive something from a sytem, then it is not an underlying principle.

Well, if the law of non contradiction underlies all rationality, and if propositional logic is rational, then how come

1) the law of non contradiction isn't an axiom in propositional logic?

2) How can we derive it from more basic well formed formular?

Quote:
2) The law of non contradiction has flaws - and I hate admitting this myself, so we are on the same side here ... please look up dialetheism and paraconsistent logic. You may have heard of the 'liar's paradox', perhaps that will give you a clue as to the point being made here.  Retortion doesn't save the law. 

Quote:

Dear lord.  If you are going to pass yourself off as a expert logician, then please do not bring things to the table such as the liar's paradox.  That has been dealt with ages ago.

You've got to be kidding. Academia is all about taking on sacred cows like the LNC!

Wow, if anything reveals that you don't have much experience, its this claim! 

Trust me, I'm on your side here, but there's a real problem with the LNC and your solution to the problem has problems as well.

Paraconsistent logic was the rage in logic for the last few years.

Quote:

I've already mentioned this:  ALL statements have an implicit assertion of their own truth.  ANY statement you make has as a hidden assertion, "This statement is true" 

You do realize that I've written papers on this, right?  The solutions put forth by A. N. Prior  ( I assume you are basing your response on his work?) have their own problems. Again, I'm on your side here, I've written papers on the subject, but we can't ignore the problems with these solutions.

And at any rate, the point is moot: Paraconsistent logic exists, and the law of non contradiciton is not an axiom in that system. This means the law is not universal to all rationality.

Oh, and I should point out that none of this has to do with why TAG sucks as an argument. We are just quibbling over what is universal and what is not....

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleepy wrote: I'm

Sleepy wrote:

I'm demonstrating to you that saying that the principles are not universal is absurd and wrong.

I don't think you can follow your own argument.

You've argued that the axioms of syllogistic logic are underlying principles in all rational thought.

But I've shown that the LNC is derivable, not underlying, in propositional logic.

And that the LNC doesn't even work in paraconsistent logic, which is a rational system.

This refutes your claim.

Now, would you like to actually argue TAG?

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote: Sleepy

Eloise wrote:

Sleepy wrote:

This is not a valid objection.

Glad a theist sees his problem as well, we can move past the claim that his is just atheistic naysaying.

And yes, none of this has to do with TAG.

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:One more

todangst wrote:

One more time:

You are talking about underlying principles of rationality. To be an underlying prinicple is to UNDERLY A SYSTEM NOT BE DERIVABLE FROM A SYSTEM.

I've already denied this.

Quote:

It doesn't.  Just because you can use a particular system of logic to demonstrate that a principle is true does not mean that the principle does not constitute an undergirding foundation.

Quote:
You are mixing up two different concepts here.

I'm arguing that the three principles which you claim are only the underlying foundation of syllogistic logic are the foundation for ALL logic and that any logical systems which purport to disprove that are FALSE. 

Quote:
Now, let me also remind you that I've spoken to you about defense through retortion. You didn't respond because you've likely never seen the term.

Yes, I have seen the term.  You are simply dropping terms that you *think* I will not know in order to masturbate over minutia and flaunt the fact that you are some "master logician".  "Hey guys, I know all these words and this guy does not!  You should not listen to him.  He does not know what he is talking about!"

Quote:
Pretty much, although its more likely that he just formalized it. Now, I'm going to watch you confuse a logical axiom with physics.

So then the principles did exist before Aristotle?

Quote:
No, but that's not an example of the law of non contradiction. The law is an axiom found in logic. Logic has to do with arguments, not things. Things don't avoid contradictions, they simply exist.

Wrong.  You are making TRUTH STATEMENTS regarding objects.  They are SUBJECT to these laws just like anything else. 

I can't respond to your posts.  They are way too long and most of it is just you cutting and pasting from other articles that you've written.  I'll continue this if you limit your posts to 500 words or less.  Otherwise, you are just rambling on and on about stuff which you ADMIT at the end of your post is tangential to the TAG argument (though that is not necessarily correct, as you are denying the universality of logical principles in order to say that they do not require God).

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:Eloise

Eloise wrote:

She's one of those "I'm a better kind of theist" theists. 

"Hey guys, I believe that God is in my doorknob!  I'm all mystical.  Woooo!"

Do you know any Christian apologists who agree with you?

Ctrl Y
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Sleepy wrote:I don't like to

Sleepy wrote:

I don't like to use the word "govern", but I'll go with that for the purposes of my response.

Good, that probably means we are using the term the same way.

Quote:
What are the logical principles which govern the universe and how are they different from the logical principles which govern our rationality?

The logical principles that govern the universe are facts about the universe. The logical principles that govern our rationality are thoughts that correspond to facts about the universe. It might help you understand my position to note the following. It is a fact that my car is my car, but the fact that my car is my car is different from my thought that "my car is my car". Only my thought that "my car is my car" governs my rationality.

Quote:
Are you saying that the universe behaves in a way such that objects are A and ~A at the same time?  Are you saying that in the context of the universe, it is neither true nor false that the Earth revolves around the sun?

No. I hope that the above cleared up these questions for you.

Quote:
In both instances, though, you are positing conceptual entities.  As you've stated, the universe is governed by principles.  Principles are conceptual entities and require minds, whether they are governing rationality or the universe itself. 

Well, the principles that govern my rationality are certainly "conceptual entities" in the sense that I formulate them in concepts. It is not obvious that the principles that govern the universe are "conceptual entities."

The principles that govern the universe can certainly be described in terms of concepts (for example, we can think truly that "a thing is itself" ), but in that case it is only the proposition used to describe them that is composd of concepts. To understand the distinction I'm trying to make here, think about the fact that the Taj Mahal is white. We can describe the fact that the Taj Mahal is white in terms of concepts (by thinking the proposition "the Taj Mahal is white" ), but the fact that the Taj Mahal is white is true quite apart from that proposition.

Quote:
Another problem is that you did not provide an actual account of these principles.  You've just outlined their category of existence.  What is the grounding for our logical principles which govern our rationality?  Are you saying that it is just chemistry of the brain?  And are you saying that the principles governing the universe are codified by us after empirical observation?  If so, are we applying the three logical principles in order to undergo the codification process?  That being the case, it would follow that the logical principles do in fact have application to the universe and you are right back to where we started.  And, in fact, we are back where we've started.  You've applied the logical principles to this universe, which is supposedly governed by different principles.  You've made a truth statement judged in accordance with the laws of identity, non-contradiction, and excluded middle.

These are interesting questions which I would like to debate at some point. However, my online debating experience tells me that if I opened them up, they would likely send the discussion off on a tangent. I want to keep the discussion focused on the issue above (thought vs. fact) for the moment.

I'm sure you are debating these questions with other people at present, and I hope they answer you satisfactorily.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sleepy wrote:

todangst wrote:

One more time:

I've already denied this.

Quote:

It doesn't.  Just because you can use a particular system of logic to demonstrate that a principle is true does not mean that the principle does not constitute an undergirding foundation.

Actually, it means precisely that! If something is derivable, then it cannot be axiomatic.

Axiom:

In traditional logic, an axiom or postulate is a proposition that is not proved or demonstrated but considered to be either self-evident, or subject to necessary decision. Therefore, its truth is taken for granted, and serves as a starting point for deducing and inferring other (theory dependent) truths.

You've just refuted yourself.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleepy wrote:Eloise

Sleepy wrote:

Eloise wrote:

You sound like you have a self esteem problem

Quote:

Do you know any Christian apologists who agree with you?

The strength of any claim is based not on the person, but the argument.

You seem to like to talk about intentions, motivations and personalities..... you should spend more time reading logic.

OH: there's a well known apologist named Blark who later admitted that TAG was nonsense. Look him up.

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:Actually, it

todangst wrote:

Actually, it means precisely that! If something is derivable, then it cannot be axiomatic.

Axiom:

In traditional logic, an axiom or postulate is a proposition that is not proved or demonstrated but considered to be either self-evident, or subject to necessary decision. Therefore, its truth is taken for granted, and serves as a starting point for deducing and inferring other (theory dependent) truths.

It is not true that if something is derivable, then it cannot be axiomatic.  It is possible to both presuppose the validity of logical absolutes AND to demonstrate that they are true using the logical systems which they are used to build.

You are creating a false dichotomy.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sleepy wrote:

Eloise wrote:

It's indemonstrable because it is illogical.  Can you demonstrate to me how it is possible?

You're asking the ridiculous, you want me to demonstrate within a system of logic that which exists outside of it. Why so impudent?

In short this is empirically demonstrable, it's found in experience, all I can do is invite you to look for yourself and see that the behaviour of the universe at subatomic distances is unlike that of anything immediately familiar to an individual conditioned to our large dichotomous environment.

Quote:

Quote:

"Denial would not be not real to them" is affirming that denial would be real to them.  Was that a typo? 

No it's affirming that a state outside a system of logic is alien to that system of logic, it's just definitional. In a system without identity you would be ignorant of identity, there is no need to deny what you do not know.

Quote:

Moreover, you are still making a truth statement about this species.  So I'm curious to know how their reality (which would physically be part of this universe) would be different from ours from a rational standpoint. 

I made a simple deduction from knowledge about the probable conditions of such a reality, for that, I've allowed your posit of a species but I am not affirming it.

That said, we've already gone over the main differences, it is a reality where non-contradiction and the excluded middle do not hold. Entities within it are superposed in probable states of being. You could suppose that the difference is our familiar state of being is one where one probability is spread out over space and time, while the reality of a species in superposition would be one space and time spread out over many probabilities.

Quote:

It is an issue.  If you say that "These principles are not universal" and apply those very principles in the context of the statement that you've just made, then why should I believe you?  I'm serious.

How can I show you the principles lead to contradiction in some domain without first applying them to that domain?

Quote:

Quote:

So you admit that your original idea was contradictory?  

I do what now?

No. I don't think you read the whole paragraph. I'll leave it in you can read it again.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sleepy wrote:

todangst wrote:

Axiom:

It is not true that if something is derivable, then it cannot be axiomatic.  

Yes, it is true. It's definitional in fact. 

To say that something is derived in a system is to say that it is NOT an axiom. How would you derive something that is already axiomatic?! 

I Love Irony.

Here you are arguing that the Law of Noncontradiction is universal to all rational thought... yet you are holding that something can be both its own thesis and antithesis. Something can be both foundational to a system, and yet, must be derived from the foundations of the system!

Smile at least. This is funny.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sleepy wrote:

Eloise wrote:

I did notice your earlier invitation to debate panentheism, go right ahead and start the thread if you must there's no need to goad me, I'll answer.

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:Yes, it is.

todangst wrote:

Yes, it is. It's not a false dichotomy!

To say that something is derived in a system is to say that it is NOT an axiom. Why would you derive something that is already axiomatic?! If it is an axiom, then what are you deriving! You'd be repeating the axiom, not deriving it!

There really is no reason to derive something that is already axiomatic, other than if you are an atheist trying to disprove the universality of the principles themselves.

But just because it COULD be done does not mean that it is not the foundation of the system itself.

I used the word "derive" because that is the word you've been using.   These won't be perfect analogies, but hopefully it will help you see where I am going:

Immanuel Kant prided himself on using reason to demonstrate its own parameters.

Buddhists use desire in order to rid themselves of desire.

Why can't we use logic to prove that its foundations are true?  In fact, ANY logical system will prove its own foundations to be true.  

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:I did notice

Eloise wrote:

I did notice your earlier invitation to debate panentheism, go right ahead and start the thread if you must there's no need to goad me, I'll answer.

The poor guy hasn't even gotten down an argument for TAG yet....

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline

Duplicate post.

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline

todangst wrote:

Eloise wrote:

I've listed SEVEN different objections, one of which you are using right now (the principles are not universal). 

I've even written a lengthy response to your article.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleepy wrote:There really is

Sleepy wrote:

There really is no reason to derive something that is already axiomatic, other than if you are an atheist trying to disprove the universality of the principles themselves.

But just because it COULD be done does not mean that it is not the foundation of the system itself.

I'll just keep repeating that you cannot derive a foundational statement in any system. That is why they are foundational statements - because you don't need to derive them.

Quote:

Why can't we use logic to prove that its foundations are true?

Why can't we use the 17th floor of a building as it's foundation?

Quote:

In fact, ANY logical system will prove its own foundations to be true.  

In fact, this is not the case. Where are you even getting these assertions from? You're pretty much violating basic knowledge about axioms.

We can't use a logical system to demonstrate the truth of its own axioms, because we'd have to already presupose the axioms in order to use the logic in the first place!

In addition, such a goal as proving logic 'true' is itself rather misguided. Logical systems are not descriptive systems, they are not 'things' that we verify for truth... they are our means for verification in the first place.... (although I'd say logic is not about 'finding truth', it is about assesing arguments for validity)

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sleepy wrote:

todangst wrote:

Eloise wrote:

I've listed SEVEN different objections, one of which you are using right now (the principles are not universal). 

I've even written a lengthy response to your article.

I know, all that work... for naught.

And here's the reason why it was all for nothing: You don't know what you're talking about yet. Until you do, you won't be able to understand that a statement cannot be both axiomatic and derivable. You won't recognize why its impossible to use a logical system to demonstrate the truth of its own axioms. 

And you certainly won't be able to follow why TAG is such a miserable argument that even a well known internet apologist like blark considers it a miserable argument.

In short, I don't think you can follow the refutations of your agument yet.

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:Sleepy

todangst wrote:

Sleepy wrote:

I'll just keep repeating that you cannot derive a foundational statement in any system. That is why they are foundational statements - because you don't need to derive them.

YOU HAD TO ASSUME THE VALIDITY OF THOSE PRINCIPLES IN THE VERY ARGUMENT THAT YOU USED TO "DERIVE" THEM.

In the assumed premise, you've presupposed that A is A and A is not ~A and ~A is ~A and is not A.  You've also presupposed that it is a proposition and is not not a proposition.  You've presupposed that you've used conjunction elimination from the first premise and that what you've used is not DeMorgan's Theorem.

I've only used the word "derive" in a loose sense but apparently you are using it in a precise way.  You did not DERIVE the law of non-contradiction in that sense.  You've DEMONSTRATED it.  There is a fundamental difference.

Now can you show me ANY argument in proposition logic which does not already assume the validity of the three logical principles?

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline

todangst wrote:

Eloise wrote:

There's a difference between TAG and his argument? It seemed essentially like a TAG argument to me. But then basically any way of saying "God's nature accounts for logic, morality or consistency" counts as TAG where I'm concerned.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:todangst

Eloise wrote:

todangst wrote:

Eloise wrote:

There's a difference between TAG and his argument?  It seemed essentially like a TAG argument to me. But then basically any way of saying "God's nature accounts for logic, morality or consistency" counts as TAG where I'm concerned.

Well, that is the problem, isn't it? TAG really isn't an argument at all. So to put forward a real TAG, you'd have to give a set of connecting premises between "god" and "logic" that demonstrate that the latter relies on the former.

In this sense, NO ONE has ever put forward a TAG.  Which is my hidden point.

The closest you get is the argument that relies on the problem of induction.  And that argument, which also relies on the supposed 'nature of god' suffers frm the very same supposed dilemma found in the problem of induction:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/an_easy_argument_to_refute_van_tillian_calvinist_presuppositionalism

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleepy wrote:YOU HAD TO

Sleepy wrote:

YOU HAD TO ASSUME THE VALIDITY OF THOSE PRINCIPLES IN THE VERY ARGUMENT THAT YOU USED TO "DERIVE" THEM.

No. The LNC is not used in the argument. It is the conclusion of the argument, not a premise in the argument. 

In the argument, we actually assume the precise opposite. That contradictions exist.

Go on, look and see if ~(A & ~A) shows up in the premises: (Hint, it doesn't)

Quote:

In the assumed premise, you've presupposed that A is A and A is not ~A

No. A is presumed to only be A. Its an identity statement. I agree with you that we may DERIVE the law of non contradiction from an identity statement, but that conclusion doesn't help you here.

Quote:

I've only used the word "derive" in a loose sense but apparently you are using it in a precise way. 

Yes. To derive is to take from foundational statements something that is not already found directly in the foundational statement.

However, any way you choose to use the word, once you concede that you are deriving something from a foundational statement, you are conceding that whatever you derive is not necessary for the pre-existent set of foundational statements to work in supporting the system.

Quote:

Now can you show me ANY argument in proposition logic which does not already assume the validity of the three logical principles?

I already did. The problem is that you didn't understand that this is the case. Do you get it now?

At any rate, I must go, father's day and all.... enjoyed talking to you, you have remained mostly polite, and you attempt to demonstrate your points... nice meeting you.

Ctrl Y
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Sleepy,It seems like you

Sleepy,

It seems like you missed my post earlier. I'll post it again so that you can respond to it. Thanks.

Sleepy wrote:

I don't like to use the word "govern", but I'll go with that for the purposes of my response.

Quote:
What are the logical principles which govern the universe and how are they different from the logical principles which govern our rationality?

The logical principles that govern the universe are facts about the universe. The logical principles that govern our rationality are thoughts that correspond to facts about the universe. It might help you understand my position to note the following. It is a fact that my car is my car, but the fact that my car is my car is different from my thought that "my car is my car". Only my thought that "my car is my car" governs my rationality.

Quote:
Are you saying that the universe behaves in a way such that objects are A and ~A at the same time?  Are you saying that in the context of the universe, it is neither true nor false that the Earth revolves around the sun?

Quote:
In both instances, though, you are positing conceptual entities.  As you've stated, the universe is governed by principles.  Principles are conceptual entities and require minds, whether they are governing rationality or the universe itself. 

Well, the principles that govern my rationality are certainly "conceptual entities" in the sense that I formulate them in concepts. It is not obvious that the principles that govern the universe are "conceptual entities."

The principles that govern the universe can certainly be described in terms of concepts (for example, we can think truly that "a thing is itself" ), but in that case it is only the proposition used to describe them that is composd of concepts. To understand the distinction I'm trying to make here, think about the fact that the Taj Mahal is white. We can describe the fact that the Taj Mahal is white in terms of concepts (by thinking the proposition "the Taj Mahal is white" ), but the fact that the Taj Mahal is white is true quite apart from that proposition.

Quote:
Another problem is that you did not provide an actual account of these principles.  You've just outlined their category of existence.  What is the grounding for our logical principles which govern our rationality?  Are you saying that it is just chemistry of the brain?  And are you saying that the principles governing the universe are codified by us after empirical observation?  If so, are we applying the three logical principles in order to undergo the codification process?  That being the case, it would follow that the logical principles do in fact have application to the universe and you are right back to where we started.  And, in fact, we are back where we've started.  You've applied the logical principles to this universe, which is supposedly governed by different principles.  You've made a truth statement judged in accordance with the laws of identity, non-contradiction, and excluded middle.

These are interesting questions which I would like to debate at some point. However, my online debating experience tells me that if I opened them up, they would likely send the discussion off on a tangent. I want to keep the discussion focused on the issue above (thought vs. fact) for the moment.

I'm sure you are debating these questions with other people at present, and I hope they answer you satisfactorily.

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:No. The LNC

todangst wrote:

No. The LNC is not used in the argument. It is the conclusion of the argument, not a premise in the argument. 

I didn't say that it was a premise.  I said that you assumed the validity of it, which you did.

Quote:
In the argument, we actually assume the precise opposite. That contradictions exist.

It's similar to an indirect proof.  In this case, you assume the validity of a contradiction in order to verify its negation.  But that does not change the fact that the undergirding foundation for you to make this argument ARE the principles that I"ve mentioned.

Quote:
No. A is presumed to only be A. Its an identity statement. I agree with you that we may DERIVE the law of non contradiction from an identity statement, but that conclusion doesn't help you here.

"A is presumed to be A" is a truth statement you are making, which means that we are applying the LEM.  And now you've just conceded that we are applying the law of identity, except that you do not agree that A is not ~A? 

Quote:
However, any way you choose to use the word, once you concede that you are deriving something from a foundational statement, you are conceding that whatever you derive is not necessary for the pre-existent set of foundational statements to work in supporting the system.

Then I will no longer use the word "derive".  You have demonstrated, using propositional logic, that ~(A & ~A).  Of course, there are a few issues.  Did you demonstrate the LNC or did you demonstrate the behavior of a particular?  Perhaps we would have to move into predicate logic and deal with universals vs. particulars. But beyond that, I still maintain that just because we can demonstrate with a system the validity of its foundation does not mean that its foundation must be different.  I'm not saying that the principles are JUSTIFIED by propositional logic.  I actually disagree wholeheartedly.

Quote:
I already did. The problem is that you didn't understand that this is the case. Do you get it now?

You've already assumed the LEM and the law of identity.  I've shown how you've assumed the validity of the LNC.

Quote:
At any rate, I must go, father's day and all.... enjoyed talking to you, you have remained mostly polite, and you attempt to demonstrate your points... nice meeting you.

Okay.  Have a good father's day.

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Ctrl Y wrote:Sleepy,It seems

Ctrl Y wrote:

Sleepy,

It seems like you missed my post earlier. I'll post it again so that you can respond to it. Thanks.

Sleepy wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I saw your post.  No offense, I'm just more interested in debating todangst on this issue since he seems to be the resident opponent of TAG.  I'll respond to your post when I get a chance.  I have to go now.

Ctrl Y
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Sleepy wrote:I saw your

Sleepy wrote:

I saw your post.  No offense, I'm just more interested in debating todangst on this issue since he seems to be the resident opponent of TAG.  I'll respond to your post when I get a chance.  I have to go now.

I understand. Thank you for the confirmation.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sleepy wrote:I'm a theist

Sleepy wrote:

I'm a theist and I rarely see this argument dealt with here.  It is a personal favorite of mine. 

(1) Rationality exists

(4) The three principles are universal and a priori.

(5) Only a thinking being which is eternal, immutable, and infallible can account for the universality and  a priority of the three principles. 

I disagree with 3. Even if 1-4 are true, 5 does not follow.

However let's assume all 5 are true. Then the god that created the universe must have a creator to account for his qualities. Then that god must have a god, and that god must have a god, etc.. to infinity. So ultimately there ends up with no god to account for these qualities.

You're basically setting up a logical argument, then saying there must be an exception(i.e God) to the rules of logic. I'm not buying it.

Goedel wrote:

Any effectively generated theory capable of expressing elementary arithmetic cannot be both consistent and complete.

Basically I'm OK with Goedel proof that any system(including the whole universe) is not both consistent and complete. You are not, so you invent 'God' to be an exception to the rules of logic. Your 'god' in an entitiy immune for the rules of logic that you try to use to prove his existence.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Sleepy

Eloise wrote:

Sleepy wrote:

Eloise wrote:

You're asking the ridiculous, you want me to demonstrate within a system of logic that which exists outside of it. Why so impudent?

I didn't say that you should demonstrate it within any particular system of logic.  I'm asking you to show me how this is possible.  Just saying it is does not make it true.  If you posit that non-contradiction does not hold and you cannot demonstrate to me other than saying, "Go look for yourself", then your rebuttal is without any merit. 

If you are asking me to abandon the logical system that I am using, then you are essentially asking me to evaluate your propositions within someone else's parameters, in which case, it would be pretty easy for you to prove what you say is true. 

I could just as easily say that any objections you have toward Christianity are based on your own logical parameters and disprove what you believe to be the flaws in the religion by arguing that your issues are resolved within my logical system. 

Ultimately, you'll have to explain to me who the parameters are set by, because they are conceptual by nature.  If you want to fall back on the idea that they are codified by humans based on the observable behavior of subatomic particles, then you still have to account for the rational guiding posts that were already in place which made the codification process possible.  If those are not universal, then how can we trust that this logical system is even valid?

Quote:
No it's affirming that a state outside a system of logic is alien to that system of logic, it's just definitional. In a system without identity you would be ignorant of identity, there is no need to deny what you do not know.

The point is, nothing can be said about this universe without leading to absurdity, which is a pretty good indication that such a universe is NOT POSSIBLE. 

Quote:
I made a simple deduction from knowledge about the probable conditions of such a reality, for that, I've allowed your posit of a species but I am not affirming it.

Whether you make a statement that is positive or negative, you are still making a statement of TRUTH.  If you are going to apply certain principles and deny their universality while saying that they only apply in a given situation, then you would still require some underlying universal guiding post which dictates which logic can be applied in a given situation.  In that case, you still have a conceptual reality which CANNOT be accounted for in a godless worldview. 

Atheism falls flat on its face in this area.  Why you are in agreement is beyond me.

Quote:
How can I show you the principles lead to contradiction in some domain without first applying them to that domain?

That's my point.  You CAN'T.  It is NOT POSSIBLE.  The three logical principles are the underlying foundation of ALL RATIONALITY.  It's useless to deny this.

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Ctrl Y wrote: The logical

Ctrl Y wrote:

The logical principles that govern the universe are facts about the universe.

I'm not sure what you mean.  What are some examples of facts about the universe that govern it? 

Quote:
The logical principles that govern our rationality are thoughts that correspond to facts about the universe.

I'll need examples.  I'm not quite getting what you mean.

Quote:
It might help you understand my position to note the following. It is a fact that my car is my car, but the fact that my car is my car is different from my thought that "my car is my car". Only my thought that "my car is my car" governs my rationality.

What you are doing is trying to separate the behavior of the universe from rationality itself.  This will not work.  You posited a distinction between the FACT that your car is what it is and the THOUGHT that it is what it is.  There is no distinction.  In both cases, you have a TRUTH STATEMENT regarding the behavior of the car, both of which require the application of the mind.  I've addressed this in one of my objections.

Standards of rationality are conceptual entities.  Concepts cannot exist without a mind.  The FACT that you've cited is in accordance with the standards of rationality, which means the fact cannot be separated from thought.

The moment we start discussing truth separate from a mind, we fall into absurdity.  Without a mind, there is no truth.

Quote:

All principles are conceptual by nature. 

Quote:
the fact that the Taj Mahal is white is true quite apart from that proposition.

No!

That is a common mistake that atheists make.  The FACT that Taj Mahal is white IS a proposition. 

Do not try to separate rationality from the universe.  You can't do it. 

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:I disagree with 3.

EXC wrote:

I disagree with 3. Even if 1-4 are true, 5 does not follow.

It most certainly does.  If we KNOW that these principles exist and that they are absolute, then the eternal mind HAS to exist. 

That is why you'll find atheists denying (1) that they are universal, or (2) that they are a priori, or (3) that they are necessary, or (4) that they are conceptual.

Quote:
However let's assume all 5 are true. Then the god that created the universe must have a creator to account for his qualities. Then that god must have a god, and that god must have a god, etc.. to infinity. So ultimately there ends up with no god to account for these qualities.

This is not the cosmological argument. 

Quote:
You're basically setting up a logical argument, then saying there must be an exception(i.e God) to the rules of logic. I'm not buying it.

Absolutely not.  God HAS to be rational.  He is not an exception.

Anon O Moose
User is offlineOffline
You're so close to

You're so close to understanding I find myself frustrated for your sake.

Take a moment to reconsider your statement about the implausibility of a universe to which the law of identity does not apply.  You and I both agree (and so should everybody else) that without the law of identity, you can't say anything meaningful about that universe.  Essencially, nothing would exist to say anything about because there would be no way to determine if anything exists at all (due to the lack of identity).

Law of Identity = exist -> minds can exist

Law of Identity = ~exist -> everything can not exist

Thus minds are contengent upon the existence of the law of identity rather than the other way around.

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Anon O Moose wrote:Thus

Anon O Moose wrote:

Thus minds are contengent upon the existence of the law of identity rather than the other way around.

EXCEPT that the law of identity is a concept and thus ontologically dependent on a mind.... and your statement actually weakens the atheist side because it demonstrates that this mind must be eternal, immutable, and infallible.

There is a reciprocal relationship between the mind and rationality itself, I will grant that.  How do you account for this from the atheist perspective?  Without a mind, we cannot have a law of identity.  Without the law of identity, we cannot have a mind.  How would you reconcile that?

Anon O Moose
User is offlineOffline
I'm fairly I just

I'm fairly I just demonstrated that the law of identity is not dependent on a mind (if its not true, universe implodes).

Also, the law of identity is a property of the universe much like gravity is.  I'm typing on a small keyboard, so if I don't respond for a while, its because my fingers are too big.

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Anon O Moose wrote:I'm

Anon O Moose wrote:

I'm fairly I just demonstrated that the law of identity is not dependent on a mind (if its not true, universe implodes).

Also, the law of identity is a property of the universe much like gravity is.  I'm typing on a small keyboard, so if I don't respond for a while, its because my fingers are too big.

But the same criteria you've used to subordinate the mind to the law of identity would apply to the universe as well.  How could you have a universe without a law of identity?  You certainly could have the law of identity without the universe.

Moreover, if it is a property of the universe, then how do you know it to be necessarily true?  And by what preexisting standard would you use to judge it to be the case in physical things? 

Anon O Moose
User is offlineOffline
Isn't that precisely the

Isn't that precisely the point?  How can anything exist without the law of identity?

How can it not be necessarily true?  How could judge the truth value of anything if the law of identity weren't necessarily true?  Why do we even need a pre-existing standard (if I understand what you're implying)?

Sleepy (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Anon O Moose wrote:Isn't

Anon O Moose wrote:

Isn't that precisely the point?  How can anything exist without the law of identity?

How can it not be necessarily true?  How could judge the truth value of anything if the law of identity weren't necessarily true?  Why do we even need a pre-existing standard (if I understand what you're implying)?

Assume it is the property of the universe.

Do we have knowledge of it when we are born, which would thus mean that we have some knowledge of the universe even before we observe it?  If so, how did that knowledge get there in the first place?

If we do not know until we observe that pattern in the universe, then how could we codify upon observation?  We would have to already some internal principles which dictate how we ought to codify the observable patterns in the universe.