Personal god versus universal intelligence (Rising Sun)

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Personal god versus universal intelligence (Rising Sun)

Rising Sun wrote:
Personal god versus universal intelligence

I don't understand why there is so much disagreement when it comes to the belief in a universal intelligence.  When it comes down to the belief that there is a personal god answering our prayers, I can see why this is utterly contradictory to scientific observation.  But does this exclude the possibility of a universal force that is the underlying cause of all that exists?  I certainly did not create myself, nor did anyone create his or her personal attributes.  I am me not because I am the author of me.  I beleive we are an expression of a creative force that lies beyond our immediate understanding, but just because we cannot see this force does not mean that this force does not exist?  And just because my definition of god is different than your definition, does not  mean that my definition is necessarily untrue.  Don't you agree?

Please continue here. :3

Rising Sun
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Rising Sun

BobSpence1 wrote:

Rising Sun wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Rising Sun wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

You certainly need more than just the feeling that there is 'something out there' to even hint at the possible reality of what you imagine it might be., otherwise you would have to take account of millions of imagined beings from alien abductors to fairies, demons, invisible critters or forces, etc, which people have imagined throughout history.

I agree to a certain extent with what you are saying.  But by the same token, those who believe in no intelligence must also prove themselves.  There is no proof, and what I am seeing from people who are bent on being correct in the god/no god argument, is vicdictiveness when those who believe in some kind of intelligence speak their truth.

I don't have to prove there is no such intelligence unless there is some evidence that there is one.

There are literally an infinite number of things which people can say could exist - until they present some actual argument based on some aspects of reality, ie, evidence, it would be ridiculous, impossible actually, to have to treat them all as serious possibilities. That is my core belief here, that we gain knowledge about reality by studying reality, not just thinking about it.

Again, maybe we are speaking the same language but don't realize it.  You keep saying we need evidence.  There is indirect evidence all around us.  This is a quote from a book I am reading. 

"We assumed energy was contained within the atom until a discovery was made that proved this, and we also assumed or believed that there was a design to this universe by the fact that the solar system moves in such mathematical harmony.  Did the sun, moon, earth, planets and stars just fall into perfect order, or is there some internal urgency pushing everything in a particular direction?" 

It was assumed the Earth was flat until proven wrong.

It was assumed the Sun went around the Earth until proven wrong.

It was assumed Heat was a substance ( 'phlogiston' ) until proven wrong.

What do you mean by saying the Solar System "moves in such mathematical harmony" ?

None of the orbits of the planets are neatly circular, they are not in exactly the same plane, the orbits are not neatly spaced precisely according to some math formula, etc, etc.

Rising Sun:  I am not implying that this entity called God neatly spaced the planets according to some math formula.  When I use the phrase 'mathematical harmony' I am, once again, reiterating the fact that life could not exist without our galaxy having a specific order as far as distance, orbit, speed, gravitational pull, rotation, etc.  It is remarkable that the puddle in the crack was filled in such a way that we exist at all, even if our existence came after the crack was formed, not before.

It closely, but not perfectly, follows Newton's inverse square law of gravitational attraction, that's about as close as it gets. All you are really saying is that simple systems behave in simple ways, that can be described by simple mathematical equations.

Rising Sun:  I don't think it's simple at all; I think it's extremely complex and we are only beginning to understand the infinitesimal odds that this world came about by chance.

The "earth, planets and stars" are not by any stretch in "perfect order". That is nonsense. There is a mix of chaos and order. We perceive a certain amount of pattern, stars tending to collect in large groups to form galaxies, which are all different in size and shape. The distribution of starts and planets has a large component of randomness and/or chaos.

Rising Sun:  It might look as if there is a large element of randomness to how galaxies are formed, but could it be a controlled chaos? What looks random might not be random at all.  It might be a pseudo-random occurrence.  Maybe we should question whether this world came about by chance alone, or is there some other possible explanation.

There is no indication of things moving in some particular direction, apart from toward the ultimate 'heat death'.

Rising Sun:  Every living organism has a certain lifespan, that's true, but whether our galaxy will die out as a matter of course is yet to be determined.  Maybe the sun will never burn itself out because it is not hot enough to do this.  Supernovas are a different story.  That is why the mystery of life continues...

We have local increases in order, such as the evolution of complex life forms, driven by the flow of energy from the Sun. Those life forms have evolved into a vast range of forms, from viruses to humans, which interact and in many cases 'prey' on each other, in a dis-organized fight for survival. As Darwin observed when noting all the different minor and major variations between individual lineages of life-forms, even among birds and reptiles living in basically the same environment on separate islands in the Galapagos Islands, why would any single creative agent (he assumed 'God', being a Christian at the time) bother to produce all these endless minor variations in basically the same 'kind' of life?

Rising Sun:  Why do you say this fight for survival is disorganized?  I do believe that there is an element of adaptation within species that create minor and major variations.  But I don't know if there is a cross-over from one species to another.  This is controversal even though the majority of scientists believe that this if fact.

The indications are that once life had evolved to fill all the various environments, some forms became simpler than their cousins and ancestors, such as those occupying caves, which lost capacity of sight. The only direction is toward currently un-occupied but viable modes of existence, such as swimming around in pools inside caves. Just as gas expands to fill available space.

What direction are you thinking of?

Rising Sun:  This explanation sounds airtight but I wonder if it is.  I have a problem when we try to connect our lineage with those of the animal kingdom of apes, for example.  We call them cousins in order to explain how part of the lineage branched off and became humans, while another group of the same lineage never changed due to environmental variation.  As far as what direction I am thinking of, what I mean by that is every form of life and its movement throughout the course of its lifespan is being orchestrated by its instinct to survive, which is different for different life forms but always toward making life survivable.  We can extend this same idea to the human species by saying that part of human survival is the need to create (or progress) which is the direction it is always moving toward.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rising... when YOU want to

Rising... when YOU want to Quote and then type something... type below and outside the [./quote]

Rising Sun
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Rising... when YOU want to Quote and then type something... type below and outside the [./quote]

I want to box in the quotes from other people in midstream, and then respond as I read their posts.  Where is the quote button?  Also, is there a way other than having to scroll to the bottom of the first page in order to get to page 3?  I hope people have patience with me, as I am not as computer literate as the people here so it might be easy for them, but it isn't as easy for me until I have a chance to learn it.

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Rising Sun wrote:Rising

Rising Sun wrote:

Rising Sun:  I am having a hard time figuring out the quote button.  I am new to this.  I also don't understand how I can get to this post without going through pages 1, 2, and 3.  What if we are on page 100?  Am I supposed to go through 100 pages to get to the post I am looking for?  This is not directed at you thatonedude, but you just happened to be the post that took me so long to get to.  If you or anyone can help me, please do.   

Hit the quote button. You will now see the message you are replying to, only it has mark up tags, such as quote tags. Putting a slash in front of a tag shows where it should close. All tags are in brackets. And the opening tag of a quote can be set to a name, which is how you get the "Rising son wrote:" bit at the top of a quote. For example, if I wanted to highlight a quote where you said "I like green eggs and ham" I would put (open bracket)quote=Rising Sun(close bracket)I like green eggs and ham(open bracket)/quote(close bracket), which would result in

Rising Sun wrote:
I like green eggs and ham

Anything not inside a quote tag will show up as written by you. So, just wrap up the text you want to quote in those quote tags, and make sure that you preview your comments. That will make it obvious if you made a mistake and had an extra tag or something. There are websites which show how to deal with markup languages, and it probably wouldn't hurt to read one or two if my brief explanation is not clear.

Quote:

As far as your other question is concerned, I do not agree with your conclusions.  Yes, it could have been just a crap shoot that we are all here, but it would have been beyond lucky.  Crap shoots indicate that the chances of this happening are almost nill.  Why would you believe in something that is almost nill, considering you are a rational person?  Just wondering, not attacking.

Why would I doubt it? The evidence that it happened is right in front of me. The evidence that long shots do indeed happen is also widespread. There is no evidence of non-physical interference. Why would I doubt that I won the lottery, even if it's a long shot?

Quote:

Rising Sun:  Who said that a disembodied intelligence willed it?  That is not my definition of an underlying intelligence.  Your definition therefore is not mine.  Do you see how we could end this conversation without truly understanding our respective positions?

Then define your idea of an "underlying intelligence."

Quote:

This is not about a separate will dictating where we are going.  This is about the laws of our nature that compell us to move in a certain direction.  It does not prove that there is an intelligence, it just gives some evidence that there could be. 

Only if you assume that only intelligence can build structure. This is the entire point of evolution, namely that non-intelligent interaction can build orderly structures.

Quote:

You are also correct that your emotional response to a series of events has no bearing on the truth of those events, but it certainly would feel good if those events turned out to be true, wouldn't it?  That doesn't mean I am living off of the hope that this will be found true with no scientific evidence to support it. Smiling

I admit, I was comforted for many years by the idea of a supreme intelligence that had my best interests in mind and a plan to make it happen. The hard truth is that, lacking evidence of such a being, there is no reason to seriously entertain those thoughts, no matter how comforting they may or may not be.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Rising Sun wrote:Homo

Rising Sun wrote:

Homo sapiens are inevitable, in my opinion, just like all forms of life because we exist.  To say we didn't have to be here is sort of like letting the tail wag the dog.  There is no way to prove that it could have been any other way.

From a deterministic point of view, you are correct. The initial state of the universe guaranteed that this outcome would occur. However, there is also no way to prove that it had to be this way, or that different initial conditions would not have also generated self-reflective intelligences.

Quote:

I am not distinguishing humans from other forms of life, as if we are the center of the universe, but I am saying that it is rather remarkable that we, as homo sapiens, are able to recognize our individuality because we are the only species that is capable of recognizing our own consciousness, as I mentioned earlier.  It's truly incredible to me.  You are entitled to your own feelings on the subject.  I am not invested inconvincing you of anything.   We all must come to our own conclusions especially when there are no hard facts.

We are a remarkable species. And I did not say that I do not find great wonder in the world we inhabit. The question is whether or not this is indicative of a guiding intelligence. And I would say no. There is hard evidence that unguided and unintelligent selection forces can result in the formation of order from random inputs, and this world appears exactly as one would expect if that were true. Barring actual evidence that there is something interfering with natural processes, there is no reason to maintain a belief in it.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

Rising Sun
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Here,

butterbattle wrote:

Here, this might help.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/general_conversation_introductions_and_humor/7011

Rising Sun wrote:
It may appear disharmonious but even the disharmony that we see in the mankind system, when seen in total perspective, is following a natural order, which I call design.

Then perhaps the semantics is confusing us.

Rising Sun:  What appears to be chaotic and disharmonious in any given situation, might actually have a hidden order to it that we are not noticing.  If something could not be any other way than what it is, even if it appears random, then that randomness is not really random.  It just appears that way.  Sort of like at an airport.  It looks chaotic but it is controlled chaos.  There is an underlying order that we don't see at first glance.

"Design," to me, implies that effect in question was the result of some intelligent force, caused with intent.

Rising Sun:  Design to me means that when we look at our planet it appears that here is a purpose to everything we do, even if we don't see the total picture.  This compulsion to move in a progressive fashion is what creates the design.  But this is not random which is what I mean when I say there is an intelligent design.  This design is an expression of something within that needs to express itself, in form.  I do not mean that the world was designed in advance by God as if it were preplanned. 

Quote:
Rising Sun:  I don't mean to define intent in narrow terms when we are talking about creation.  In the context I am discussing this word, intent only means that life is not stagnant.   The intent of life is to express itself.

Express itself?

Rising Sun: Yes, there is a need for expression of some kind.  This is what I mean by intent.  To do anything there has to be an intent to do it.  Even birds have an intent to fly; turtles to crawl; dogs to bark.  The intent is that life force within every living thing to do what it must do, out of necessity.

Quote:
If there was no intent, then we wouldn't move at all, we would stay in one spot.

Kind of. Well, it's a naturalistic fallacy to say that life has an 'intent.' It is not the 'purpose' of life to reproduce. It is simply the natural order of things. Besides, if life was, as you say, "stagnant," then life wouldn't exist. However, it does strive to survive, which is why, ditto, it does exist.

Rising Sun:  Exactly.

Quote:
But this is not the intent of life.  Life is creative in the sense that it is compelled to express itself in whatever form it takes.  It never stays the same; it keeps evolving.

Pretty much, although I wish you wouldn't anthropomorphize so much.

Rising Sun:  I'll try to do better. Smiling

Rising Sun
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote:Hi Rising Sun,

KSMB wrote:

Hi Rising Sun, might I inquire what book you get your "prefect" solar system/galaxy/whatever ideas from?

Of course you can inquire, but if I start a conversation on the book that has given me my ideas, we will lose the continuity of this discussion.  I might start a new thread for this purpose, but if I do I won't be staying to argue the pros and cons of the points being made.  Those who read this book in earnest will need to decide for themselves whether there is anything noteworthy of remembering.

Rising Sun
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Life forms

BobSpence1 wrote:

Life forms which, by chance variation, happen to have a stronger impulse to reproduce themselves, will tend to reproduce more, other things being equal, and so will come to be the most common forms. It's that simple, doesn't require any mystical "purpose", just a chemical or neurological bias toward more reproduction.

Most definitely does not require any directed purpose. The drive to survive evolves from any replicating system - those not disposed to survive don't survive, and so disappear.

The 'purpose' emerges from the basic logic of things which can reproduce themselves. The capacity to replicate, which came along with the first molecules like RNA and DNA, came before any drive to survive and fill the available environments capable of supporting life, rather than driving it.

Rising Sun:  Well that must be the purpose of these organisms which IS the capacity to replicate ONLY.  But isn't this a drive?  How can we separate what these molecules do, with their drive to get the job that they were designed to do, done?

Intelligence is a consequence of what order exists in the universe of matter and energy , amongst the surrounding chaos, not a cause of it. It is impossible that intelligence requires an even higher intelligence to 'create' it, otherwise could no 'first' intelligence could form. There is no logical reasoning that intelligence requires even more intelligence to 'create' it.

Rising Sun: Intelligence is borne out of whatever the DNA allows.  But this does not exclude the possibility of a higher intelligence which is not separate from the laws that give us a semblence of order. 

It is far more likely that basic non-intelligent matter/energy existed or came into existence before intelligence, because it is far simpler.

Rising Sun: Maybe you are right.  Maybe there was nothing more than a simplistic matter/energy combination that led to the complex processes of human life that we see today.

We can already create computers which can do some things that once only humans could do, and do them much faster, more accurately, and involving much more complex calculations than any human or group of humans could ever do. 

Rising Sun:  But it took the human mind to create computers.  So to say that computers involve more complex combinations is probably due to the mechanism that allows faster than speed calculations.  This in no way means that computers are smarter than humans, or that humans are not as complex as computers.

Purpose and intent are emergent things, attributes of conscious beings, not ultimate driving forces.

Rising Sun:  I am not sure about that.

The more stuff there is in the Universe, the more possibilities there are for some parts of it to happen to be suitable for complex structures to form, until on at least one of the hundreds of millions of planets at all varying distances from their sun, one happens to be ok for replicating molecules to form and start the process of Darwinian evolution. Even if the chances are one hundred billion to one against, that means it is still could be a better than even chance of life starting somewhere.

Rising Sun:  That is the theory.  It sounds great but is it true?  I don't know, and I admit that I don't know.  All I do know is that given what we know, the odds of life on earth coming from nothing except luck of the draw, are very very slim.

Under such conditions it could well have been more amazing if life didn't come about spontaneously. We don't have a good handle on the probabilities, but we are making new discoveries all the time that make life more likely, such as discoveries of distant planets that suggest that 'earth-like' planets are much likely to be much more common than once thought, and that the chemical building-blocks of life could be formed by relatively simple processes on the early Earth.

Rising Sun: If it is true that life came about spontaneously, and more planets will be discovered because eventually chance alone will bring about life in other galaxies, then that only means that whatever the intelligence is that is underlying our existence, will also be the intelligence that underlies all other existences.  I really think we are arguing over nothing.  The bottom line in this discussion is that we all are in agreement that the god of religion is not the 'god' that we are discussing, so it leaves us with nothing to argue about.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rising Sun wrote:Design to

Rising Sun wrote:
Design to me means that when we look at our planet it appears that here is a purpose to everything we do, even if we don't see the total picture.  This compulsion to move in a progressive fashion is what creates the design.  But this is not random which is what I mean when I say there is an intelligent design.  This design is an expression of something within that needs to express itself, in form.  I do not mean that the world was designed in advance by God as if it were preplanned.
If it's not random, then what is it?  How can you mean both that it is not random and that it was not designed or preplanned?

It's a bit difficult to understand, perhaps, but try to understand that in retrospect we can say that the universe has taken only one course and that that one course is the only course it could have taken to produce the present.  That is to say that based on the events of the past, the events leading up to the present and those that will come in the future are dependant on the events that proceeded them.  This is, at least, basically correct.

Now, it may seem at this point that you'll want to say that there exists a kind of predestination or design or planning.  That is not the case, however.  It does not appear as though any explanation except a naturalist one is needed to explain the progression of the universe to the present.  It is merely dependant on the event that initiated this universe, the big bang.  That there is certainly a progression of dependant events merely means that in this universe, given no truly random events (which is a topic I don't propose to get into), a theoretically predictable (theoretical because no thing but the universe can contain all the universe's information and perform all the processes on it simultaneously in order to come to a prediction and certainly not, if it were possible, before the universe did it itself) series of events will progress from the start of the universe.

What does this mean to us?  Well, first that there is no inherent purpose to our existence.  Let me explain this.  In this universe there are ways in which its constituent pieces interact.  They interacted first to form the smallest stuff, which begot bigger stuff, which begot atoms of hydrogen which coalesced to eventually form galaxies and all the neat atoms we have now.  Never mind that I've just whisked through what you could spend a life studying in one seriously lacking sentence.  The gist is that the ways in which the bits of the universe interact are predictable.  Throw a bunch of the elements needed to make RNA together and under conditions which are and have been extant on Earth and which most likely are extant elsewhere in the universe and you get molecules of RNA.  Go simpler and you can get amino acids to form.  All by themselves, they do this.  It is no stretch that since the universe and its components interact in certain ways you end up with us and the rest of life on Earth as well as with things like mountains and water and the Earth itself or our solar system or our galaxy or our galaxy cluster, or anything else that exists.

Life is certainly no special thing.  It is precious to most of us because we are alive and thinking, but that is a product of a blind process that functions based off of the selective pressures of our environment and based on how things work in the universe.  That we exist does not necessitate a purpose.  That we wish to perpetuate ourselves (as does all life) is only because that is what our constituent pieces do and to be so programmed ensures that our self-replicating components continue to self-replicate.  It is a product of evolution and that is something that is possible because it is possible for matter to be so arranged in this universe.

In all of this there is no intelligence, no design by any definition and all progression, as you use the word, is illusory.  There is no ambiguous, unexplained, pervasive energy in this universe that can be characterized anthropomorphically which is necessary to the perperuation of life or the existence of anything whatsoever within the universe.  If you wish to ascribe purpose, use you evolved brain to assign some to your own life; stop looking elsewhere, because this universe is nothing more than what it appears to be and so far it appears that neither intelligence nor degisn is required for its existence or the existence of anything that constitutes it.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rising Sun wrote:Of course

Rising Sun wrote:
Of course you can inquire, but if I start a conversation on the book that has given me my ideas, we will lose the continuity of this discussion.  I might start a new thread for this purpose, but if I do I won't be staying to argue the pros and cons of the points being made.  Those who read this book in earnest will need to decide for themselves whether there is anything noteworthy of remembering.

I ask because I am reading a book which makes points similar to what you write, The Privileged Planet by Guillermo Gonzalez and Jay Richards. I am just curious which book you read, as I am interested in astronomy and things that relate to astronomy. I will not start a discussion on the book in this thread either way.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rising Sun wrote:Some

Rising Sun wrote:
Some things just can't be proven such as what caused the Big Bang?  Or was there a first cause?  And if there was, what came before it?  We can try to answer these questions in scientific terms, but science cannot adequately answer all questions that have perplexed mankind since the beginning of time.   These are questions that might never be answered to our satisfaction.

Perhaps.

Quote:
We can continue to gather evidence to support our theories about the origin of the universe, but we can't know positively whether there is an intelligence behind it all, or not, therefore we must come to our own conclusions based on what makes sense to us.  To think of humans as being insignificant because of the belief that we are just chemical reactions in an evolutionary chain, doesn't sit right with me.  Maybe I am just looking for a reason to feel that there is a purpose to my existence, and I may be delusional.

I didn't call you delusional. I'm just asking why you think intelligence has something to do with it.

Quote:
But until there is proof that there is no intelligence that is governing our universe even if it's through natural law (once again, I am not alluding to an intelligence as a separate entity called god), I will continue to hold onto the belief that we are here for a reason.

Well, we don't usually base our presumptions on proof of falsehood. That's not really practical because you would have to believe everything that hasn't been proved false which would include many contradictory propositions. So why should this particular, seemingly arbitrary proposition be believed above others?

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Did you follow the link

Did you follow the link about quoting?

Rising Sun wrote:

Rising Sun:  What appears to be chaotic and disharmonious in any given situation, might actually have a hidden order to it that we are not noticing.  If something could not be any other way than what it is, even if it appears random, then that randomness is not really random.  It just appears that way.  Sort of like at an airport.  It looks chaotic but it is controlled chaos.  There is an underlying order that we don't see at first glance.

Sure.

Quote:
Rising Sun:  Design to me means that when we look at our planet it appears that here is a purpose to everything we do, even if we don't see the total picture.  This compulsion to move in a progressive fashion is what creates the design.  But this is not random which is what I mean when I say there is an intelligent design.  This design is an expression of something within that needs to express itself, in form.  I do not mean that the world was designed in advance by God as if it were preplanned.

There is an order to it. However, that doesn't mean it's designed, so you still shouldn't use the word unless you know it's designed.

Quote:
Rising Sun: Yes, there is a need for expression of some kind.  This is what I mean by intent.  To do anything there has to be an intent to do it.  Even birds have an intent to fly; turtles to crawl; dogs to bark.  The intent is that life force within every living thing to do what it must do, out of necessity.

Okay.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare