one year anniversary

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
one year anniversary

Since its my one year anniversary I thought I would offically say hello and start my first thread. There was really no reason to start one since there was always something I could find to jump in on and I mostly listen anyway. It didn't take long to realize I didn't have anything new to say.

I started out here a year ago looking to win arguments but I quickly realized that that was fruitless since I had to resort to being irrational usually in about 3 steps.

I have been a born again christian for almost 20 years and you guys have really given me some serious stuff to consider. So I guess you are doing a good job. I live in Maryland and I had long standing debates with atheists that were unsatisfying but this took it to a whole new level. Its funny. Somebody early on said that I would be an agnostic in 6 months and an atheist in a year if I stuck with it here. Well I have to say its definitely raised doubts so thats good since most people are a little too sure about what they believe in anyway. I think I was too.

I have mostly appreciated threads by Hamby, Nigel, Todangst, Rook, BobSpence, Kevin, and many others as well. I have learned a lot and it has been challenging at times. I will stick with it and we'll see what happens.

Thanks,

JAB

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 You have no idea how much

You have no idea how much this thread has brightened an otherwise shitty day for me.  Thank you for sticking it out with us heathens.  I hope you make it another year, theist or atheist.  Dialog never hurts anybody.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I wonder what percentage

I wonder what percentage of atheists on this forum are themselves former believers ?   I was a fundamentalist  Protestant for many years before my faith fell apart while investigating the issue of biblical inerrancy, etc.  I never in a million years thought that I would leave my faith behind but, well...here I am, an atheist.

JAB even if you choose to continue with your religious beliefs I salute you for having the guts to actually consider the opposing arguments that you have discovered here.  It is not a frequent occurence.  Cheers.

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: You have

Hambydammit wrote:

You have no idea how much this thread has brightened an otherwise shitty day for me.  Thank you for sticking it out with us heathens.  I hope you make it another year, theist or atheist.  Dialog never hurts anybody.

Thanks Hamby! Glad I could something to help

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I wonder what percentage of atheists on this forum are themselves former believers ?   I was a fundamentalist  Protestant for many years before my faith fell apart while investigating the issue of biblical inerrancy, etc.  I never in a million years thought that I would leave my faith behind but, well...here I am, an atheist.

JAB even if you choose to continue with your religious beliefs I salute you for having the guts to actually consider the opposing arguments that you have discovered here.  It is not a frequent occurence.  Cheers.

Thanks PDW! Great avatar btw. Yeah, I kind of gave up trying to defend inerrancy. I don't think any two christians actually agree on what it means anyways. There are more exceptions than rules at this point. To have to throw down a trump card that says 'no matter what I say it is right' seems a little suspicious. To hold on to inerrancy is to give up all literalness knowing what we now know. So I could see where its tough.

I would guess around half on the forum are former believers of some sort. Hard to say. Maybe more.

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a former believer as

I'm a former believer as well (ex-Baptist; one of those minority 'religious lefties' you hardly ever hear about... and yes, I would and did stand with unbelievers on social justice, etc.)

For me it started to come apart with the differences between what others said the prophesies of the Messiah said and what they actually said- as well as the context of the verses. That was the start, however; it didn't even get me close to the end of that particular faith for me.

I know sometimes it's kind of tough to stick around where you're in the minority- so I thank you for sticking around.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
One guy was almost

One guy was almost deprogrammed after a fucking year. I guess we can all have a big ol' circle jerk now.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now now- that's just one

Now now- that's just one step in the process.

Now go get your special hat. The next phase begins at midnight.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
User is offlineOffline
There really are too many

There really are too many Atheists who try to bully Christians into not believing, just as there are many Christians who try to bully non-believers into believing. I'm glad you were able to hold your conviction while allowing the more sensible Atheists to share a different perspective. Ultimately, whether you remain a theist or become an atheist, it really doesn't matter to us. I just hope you think for yourself and try to live life rationally.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Food for thought JAB. If we

Food for thought JAB. If we go to any theist forum, they will need to censor counter arguments to their point of view. If you go to an atheist forum, a theist can present any arguement they want without it being deleted. Why the censorship, if "The truth will set you free."???

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Congratulations!You survived

Congratulations!

You survived for an entire year.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Gauche, I love that nick of

Gauche, I love that nick of time twilight zone avatar. Was the last one a twilight zone too? I couldnt quite place it, but it looked familiar...maybe that episode in the plane with the gremlin...saw shatner on an old episode of burkes law recently...hilarious....

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
JustAnotherBeliever

JustAnotherBeliever wrote:

Gauche, I love that nick of time twilight zone avatar. Was the last one a twilight zone too? I couldnt quite place it, but it looked familiar...maybe that episode in the plane with the gremlin...saw shatner on an old episode of burkes law recently...hilarious....

Thanks, I made that avatar with Virtual Dub, which lacks many of the features of a general purpose editing suite like Avid or Final Cut, but I support its use because it was released under the GNU GPL so it's free software (in the sense of "free speech", not in the sense of free beer). I was never really happy with it, not because of the software but because it was impossible to loop seamlessly without an inordinately large file size.

If you'd like to learn more about free software that respects your rights and privacy click on this link to visit the Free Software Foundation.

I can't be certain what avatar I was using before, but they all have Shatner in them.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
thanks for posting.

thanks for posting.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
This isn't much of a circle

This isn't much of a circle jerk.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Happy one year Anniversary 

Happy one year Anniversary  Smiling

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Congrats on making a trip around the sun from the first time you came here.

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Congrats on

ClockCat wrote:

Congrats on making a trip around the sun from the first time you came here.

Thanks Clockcat and Renee!

But I thought the sun revolved around the earth??? 

And for safety reasons,  just to make sure theres no trouble, I dont go more than 50 mi from home so I dont fall off the edge

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:thanks

shelleymtjoy wrote:

thanks for posting.

Thanks Shelley!

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I suspect the percentage is high. Militant atheism is typically a knee-jerk reaction to the religious indoctrination of one's youth.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I suspect the

Paisley wrote:

I suspect the percentage is high. Militant atheism is typically a knee-jerk reaction to the religious indoctrination of one's youth.

Definitely. Once you become cognizant of the mind numbing, irrational stupidity you got saddled with, you tend to be a bit pissed that you wasted so much of your life on it!

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
   Paisley just made a

Paisley just made a "drive by" comment ?   ..that's sweet !

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, JAB. Glad you stuck

Hey, JAB. Glad you stuck with us. Whatever your beliefs may be now or in the future doesn't matter. Having you around makes this a better place.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:

There really are too many Atheists who try to bully Christians into not believing, just as there are many Christians who try to bully non-believers into believing. I'm glad you were able to hold your conviction while allowing the more sensible Atheists to share a different perspective. Ultimately, whether you remain a theist or become an atheist, it really doesn't matter to us. I just hope you think for yourself and try to live life rationally.

Yeah, the "Rational Response Squad" is a forum of "non bullies" and "sensible" atheists. You people make me howl!

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
JustAnotherBeliever wrote:I

I started out here a year ago looking to win arguments but I quickly realized that that was fruitless since I had to resort to being irrational usually in about 3 steps.

I have been a born again christian for almost 20 years and you guys have really given me some serious stuff to consider. So I guess you are doing a good job.

What kind of serious stuff? That the world wasn't really created six thousand years ago 9:00 AM EST? (I suspect that this forum is fairly equipped in dismantling this belief. But let's be perfectly candid. This is not exactly a great intellectual feat. It's like taking candy from a baby.)

Its funny. Somebody early on said that I would be an agnostic in 6 months and an atheist in a year if I stuck with it here.

Yeah, I threw down the gauntlet the very first time I visited this forum by creating a thread entitled "I believe in God. Fix it" Well, it is more than a year later and I am here to tell you that I am still a believer. Of course, I am a more difficult case than you because I am not hamstrung with the same constraints as you.

Well I have to say its definitely raised doubts so thats good since most people are a little too sure about what they believe in anyway. I think I was too.

And I think that the vast majority of members on this forum are too. Unfortunately, atheistic materialism really doesn't stand up to scrutiny when put to the test.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Paisley just made a "drive by" comment ?   ..that's sweet !

No, actually I responded to a post.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:One guy was

Gauche wrote:

One guy was almost deprogrammed after a fucking year. I guess we can all have a big ol' circle jerk now.

Yeah, that's a great batting average. Now, if you could only deprogram the deprogrammers, then maybe you have something to brag about.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Hey, JAB.

nigelTheBold wrote:

Hey, JAB. Glad you stuck with us. Whatever your beliefs may be now or in the future doesn't matter. Having you around makes this a better place.

Does this mean we can all come together and sing kumbaya?

cervello_marcio
Superfan
cervello_marcio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Does this mean

Paisley wrote:

Does this mean we can all come together and sing kumbaya?

No. 

Seriously. 

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:nigelTheBold

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

Does this mean we can all come together and sing kumbaya?

Actually, Paisley, having you around makes this a better place, too. As frustrating and nonsensical as you can be, I do like you.

But if you sing one verse, I'm gonna have to curb-stomp you. I hate that fucking song.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:But if

nigelTheBold wrote:

But if you sing one verse, I'm gonna have to curb-stomp you. I hate that fucking song.

Someone's whining, Lord, kumbaya

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

Damn you, Paisley. DAMN YOU!!!!!

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Paisley

nigelTheBold wrote:

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

Damn you, Paisley. DAMN YOU!!!!!

Nigel, this is one of my favorite threads and coincidentally Paisley is in there too....looking back over the year with him I think you SHOULD be knighted for your patience!

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/16145?page=1

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Congrats on staying with

Congrats on staying with us for a year JAB. Glad you are here.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

Since I am God as You isn't here anymore to do this, this is for you Paisley:

Who Let the Dogs out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He82NBjJqf8&feature=related

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

REVLyle
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Keep holding on

I have also been here for over a year and all I can tell you is that this site has really helped me solidify my faith.  I not only still believe, but each Sunday I am preaching the Gospel to people and watching God change their lives.  This site allows me to see the arguments those outside the church have and why they do not hold water.  My church has benefitted greatly from my conversations with atheists on this site.  No doubt about it, it is frustrating at times.       

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.