Religious people are arrogant.

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
Posts: 225
Joined: 2009-06-03
User is offlineOffline
Religious people are arrogant.

Someone in high school once called me arrogant for being an atheist by saying I thought I understand more than everyone else by choosing to hate God (don't get me started on how ridiculous that reads, just repeating).

But I started thinking...are atheists REALLY the ones who are arrogant? Here's a brief list of some of my deductions on this subject. Feel free to add or argue against ;D

 

- Religious people feel they're special enough to deserve eternal bliss (I think 2-5 years of Heaven is more than what the average person deserves after a life of mediocrity and consumption, honestly).

- Religious people feel their God is the only one, even though geography determines their faith over enlightenment.

- Religious people feel an omnipotent creator made the planets, stars, Earth, millions of animal life forms...just for us. It's kind of a stretch assuming a God would want anything to do with us (especially love us unconditionally) since we're pretty worthless by comparison. Aww

- Religious people believe they are morally superior, even though the bible is written in blood. It's really not the hypocrisy that bothers me as much as the disbelief that a person can be an atheist and still have morals.

- Religious people believe superstition answers more questions than Science. The denial of facts like...proving the Earth is more than 6,000 years old is what makes them arrogant in this example. Questioning Science is ok, denying it entirely is something else.

- Atonement. Actually believing you can do whatever you want and simply ask for forgiveness to make it all ok. Religious people love abusing this shit. How about just being a decent person who isn't so fucked up all the time? I don't think I have anything to say to a priest in a confessional besides stealing hotel bath towels or jerking off to someone slightly less desirable than expected.

-  Missionary work. Telling others how what they believe is wrong and how what you believe is correct. I'd like to say this is limited to just uncivilized groups of people in third world countries but this affects us everywhere. If you don't think you're being judged by what you believe, come to the bible belt.

- Believing God will fix your problems through prayer...people actually think God gives a shit about how fucked up they are. Why would someone think God is so preoccupied with THEM? What's the point in having free will when you need a celestial babysitter?

 

 


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5492
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Some are, some aren't Some

Some are, some aren't

 

Some atheists are, some aren't

 

Your list could also be subject to conformation bias [focus on the ones that are, ignore the ones that aren't and then claim the ones that are compose the majority]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
Posts: 225
Joined: 2009-06-03
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Some

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Some are, some aren't

 

Some atheists are, some aren't

 

Your list could also be subject to conformation bias [focus on the ones that are, ignore the ones that aren't and then claim the ones that are compose the majority]

I'm not trying to make the ones that are represent the majority. I'm flat out saying all religious people are arrogant based on my deductions. If they don't adhere to the entire list I posted, I find little chance they don't apply to some of them. If you disagree, you would need to refute these examples as being types of arrogance. Then you'd have to explain how religious people don't apply to any of these examples. Otherwise, I see no bias.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


manofmanynames (not verified)
Posts: 4294964976
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
The Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:

[....]

Yep, Saint Benedict, Rev. King, Oscar Romero, Dietrich Bonhoeffer were so much more arrogant pricks than Richard Dawkins, and Brian Sapient ever were. 

On a side note, I'm a theist, and I'm also an arrogant prick, but for none of the reasons you've listed above. I'm an arrogrant prick because I find most atheist that I encounter to be utter idiots, especially the ones that plague this forum Smiling. All you have to do is hear hamyjob expound on morality, or Brian37's attempt at poetry,  to see why I'm prone to committing face-palms.

 

 


The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
Posts: 225
Joined: 2009-06-03
User is offlineOffline
Tsk tsk, you're putting

Tsk tsk, you're putting words in my text. I never said anything about arrogant people being pricks. Also, mentioning notable figures from history who contributed to mankind doesn't exonerate them from being arrogant, or anything else, really. Wasn't it Ghandi who refused to let his wife take penicillin when she was dying but didn't refrain from saving himself? Smiling

And while you find most atheists to be utter idiots, I find all theists to be so. Next.


 


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5492
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
The Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:

I'm not trying to make the ones that are represent the majority. I'm flat out saying all religious people are arrogant based on my deductions. If they don't adhere to the entire list I posted, I find little chance they don't apply to some of them. If you disagree, you would need to refute these examples as being types of arrogance. Then you'd have to explain how religious people don't apply to any of these examples. Otherwise, I see no bias.

 

 

 

But that's just the genetic fallacy.

 

Even if the orgins of the belief are arrogant, does not mean that the people who hold them are.

 

For example the orgin of marriage is sexist, yet I don't think that everybody who's married is sexist.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:or

manofmanynames wrote:

or Brian37's attempt at poetry,  to see why I'm prone to committing face-palms.

... diddo -_-

 

What Would Kharn Do?


manofmanynames (not verified)
Posts: 4294964976
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
The Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:

Tsk tsk, you're putting words in my text. I never said anything about arrogant people being pricks. Also, mentioning notable figures from history who contributed to mankind doesn't exonerate them from being arrogant.

Well, i never said that because they contributed to mankind, the Christian figures I listed weren't "arrogant". But that these individuals would hardly pass for most people's definition of "arrogant", just by the nature of their character.

It's just plane dumb to say just because an individual is a Christian he is there by arrogant, judging that Christianity is composed of billions of individuals throughout history, it would be quite a feat to label them all arrogant, and makes as much sense as calling every atheist "arrogant".

 

 


manofmanynames (not verified)
Posts: 4294964976
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote: ...

The Doomed Soul wrote:

 

... diddo -_-

 

Dildo? who said anything about a dildo?


The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
Posts: 225
Joined: 2009-06-03
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:The

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

The Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:

I'm not trying to make the ones that are represent the majority. I'm flat out saying all religious people are arrogant based on my deductions. If they don't adhere to the entire list I posted, I find little chance they don't apply to some of them. If you disagree, you would need to refute these examples as being types of arrogance. Then you'd have to explain how religious people don't apply to any of these examples. Otherwise, I see no bias.

 

 

 

But that's just the genetic fallacy.

 

Even if the orgins of the belief are arrogant, does not mean that the people who hold them are.

 

For example the orgin of marriage is sexist, yet I don't think that everybody who's married is sexist.

 

My examples aren't attacking the foundation of religion, they're directly attacking the people who call themselves religious and their behaviors. If you were to say the origins of belief are barbaric, uncivilized, ancient, etc, I would agree. But arrogant?


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15894
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:The

manofmanynames wrote:

The Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:

[....]

Yep, Saint Benedict, Rev. King, Oscar Romero, Dietrich Bonhoeffer were so much more arrogant pricks than Richard Dawkins, and Brian Sapient ever were. 

On a side note, I'm a theist, and I'm also an arrogant prick, but for none of the reasons you've listed above. I'm an arrogrant prick because I find most atheist that I encounter to be utter idiots, especially the ones that plague this forum Smiling. All you have to do is hear hamyjob expound on morality, or Brian37's attempt at poetry,  to see why I'm prone to committing face-palms.

 

 

Wow, my poetry sucked so bad that you equated me to Hambi, whom I  consider outclasses innumerably me in history and information.

Well, just to let you know, I have more evidence that my poetry exists than believers do that virgins can get knocked up by ghosts, or that human flesh survives rigor mortis.

Claim all you want that my poetry sucks or that Hambi's arguments suck, but how that constitutes an adult human male popping out of dirt instantainiously........

Have at it...... Maybe someday you can get the AMA to confirm that thoughts can exist outside the human brain after death. Good luck with that.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
Posts: 225
Joined: 2009-06-03
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:The

manofmanynames wrote:

The Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:

Tsk tsk, you're putting words in my text. I never said anything about arrogant people being pricks. Also, mentioning notable figures from history who contributed to mankind doesn't exonerate them from being arrogant.

Well, i never said that because they contributed to mankind, the Christian figures I listed weren't "arrogant". But that these individuals would hardly pass for most people's definition of "arrogant", just by the nature of their character.

It's just plane dumb to say just because an individual is a Christian he is there by arrogant, judging that Christianity is composed of billions of individuals throughout history, it would be quite a feat to label them all arrogant, and makes as much sense as calling every atheist "arrogant".

 

 

How do you know they weren't arrogant? You're allowing their accomplishments and favor amongst their respective followers quash any negative attritubes they may have possessed.

The reality, which I thought would be assumed, is almost everybody (religious or not) is arrogant in some way. The point, was a Christian girl called me arrogant for being atheist and I thought that was extremely ironic. So I explained why.

I consider arrogance to be a VERY human behavior, so no...I don't think it's too horrible of a generalization. Especially when no one has specifically refuted any of my claims besides saying "nuh uh."


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5492
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
The Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:

My examples aren't attacking the foundation of religion, they're directly attacking the people who call themselves religious and their behaviors. If you were to say the origins of belief are barbaric, uncivilized, ancient, etc, I would agree. But arrogant?

 

 

Actually only this

Quote:

Telling others how what they believe is wrong and how what you believe is correct.

 

is a behaviour [and it easily applies to atheists as well], the rest are beliefs.

 

 

 

And when I said it was a genetic fallacy, I didn't mean orgin of the belief of God in general, I meant orgin of the belief in God of the person.

 

 

Oh and BTW saying that the orgins of religion are barbaric and uncivilized therefore religious people are barbaric and uncivilized is also a genetic fallacy. [I know you didn't say this, but just so you know]

 

 

 


The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
Posts: 225
Joined: 2009-06-03
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Oh and

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Oh and BTW saying that the orgins of religion are barbaric and uncivilized therefore religious people are barbaric and uncivilized is also a genetic fallacy. [I know you didn't say this, but just so you know]

 

Oh, I wasn't even trying to imply it. Just trying to better understand your point.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Well, just to

Brian37 wrote:

Well, just to let you know, I have more evidence that my poetry exists than believers do that virgins can get knocked up by ghosts, or that human flesh survives rigor mortis.

Claim all you want that my poetry sucks or that Hambi's arguments suck, but how that constitutes an adult human male popping out of dirt instantainiously........

Have at it...... Maybe someday you can get the AMA to confirm that thoughts can exist outside the human brain after death. Good luck with that.

Lol, you always find some way to spin it in that same direction.

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


treat2 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964976
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
The Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Some are, some aren't

 

Some atheists are, some aren't

 

Your list could also be subject to conformation bias [focus on the ones that are, ignore the ones that aren't and then claim the ones that are compose the majority]

I'm not trying to make the ones that are represent the majority. I'm flat out saying all religious people are arrogant based on my deductions. If they don't adhere to the entire list I posted, I find little chance they don't apply to some of them. If you disagree, you would need to refute these examples as being types of arrogance. Then you'd have to explain how religious people don't apply to any of these examples. Otherwise, I see no bias.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm a 3rd generation Atheist, and I don't need to refute shit.

Your list IS biased, and I'm not going to debate it or tell you why it is.

Maybe when you growup you'll understand what's biased/incorrect about it.

Beware of making sweeping generalizations. The burden of proof rests on your shoulders to prove they are in all cases true. It is not for anyone else to refute your unsubstantiated biased claims. You've not even supported or proven your case! All you've done is babble.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15894
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Brian37

butterbattle wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Well, just to let you know, I have more evidence that my poetry exists than believers do that virgins can get knocked up by ghosts, or that human flesh survives rigor mortis.

Claim all you want that my poetry sucks or that Hambi's arguments suck, but how that constitutes an adult human male popping out of dirt instantainiously........

Have at it...... Maybe someday you can get the AMA to confirm that thoughts can exist outside the human brain after death. Good luck with that.

Lol, you always find some way to spin it in that same direction.

 

They just don't get it. IT IS NOT ARROGENCE. How many times do you have to keep pointing out the obvious to them before you start pulling your hair out. Then the only hand they have to play are diversion tactics.

Atheist, "Poof, magic, doesn't exist."

Believer, "Yea, well, your poetry sucks so therefore my god exists"

Atheist, "Yea, so, and how does that equate to Harry Potter flying around on a broom?"

The funny part is that no matter the label, Muslim, Jew, Sceintologist, ect ect ect......they all think they are unique and different and all of them pull this crap when you challenge them on fantastic claims. Somehow we are arrogent because they don't have evidence for the fantastic claims they make?

And just to cheese off my detractor, I am going to post another "sucky" poem to remind them that they still cant produce ghost sperm and have it peer reviewed by the AMA.

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
Posts: 225
Joined: 2009-06-03
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote: I'm a 3rd

treat2 wrote:
I'm a 3rd generation Atheist, and I don't need to refute shit. Your list IS biased, and I'm not going to debate it or tell you why it is. Maybe when you growup you'll understand what's biased/incorrect about it. Beware of making sweeping generalizations. The burden of proof rests on your shoulders to prove they are in all cases true. It is not for anyone else to refute your unsubstantiated biased claims. You've not even supported or proven your case! All you've done is babble.

You don't NEED to post in my thread, yet you do. If you're not going to debate my points, you're not disproving anything. And what are you babbling about with burden of proof? I'm not making sweeping generalizations, I'm identifying a major behavior that PEOPLE (as in all people) exhibit. Again, if you disagree with my examples, explain why. Otherwise, take your whining somewhere else.

It's like saying people are happy when they eat ice cream...NUH UH, PROVE THAT SHIT NO WAY. Whatever dude, you're just too weak.


The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
Posts: 225
Joined: 2009-06-03
User is offlineOffline
Note: Treat2 is following me

Note: Treat2 is following me around trolling, so think twice before you take what he says seriously.


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3995
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:On a

manofmanynames wrote:

On a side note, I'm a theist, and I'm also an arrogant prick,

Doesn't Mr. Invisible get pissed off about cutting in on his domain?

 

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen


manofmanynames (not verified)
Posts: 4294964976
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:manofmanynames

EXC wrote:

manofmanynames wrote:

On a side note, I'm a theist, and I'm also an arrogant prick,

Doesn't Mr. Invisible get pissed off about cutting in on his domain?

 

Oh well, what's he gonna do? stick a needle in my ass?


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3995
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:EXC

manofmanynames wrote:

EXC wrote:

manofmanynames wrote:

On a side note, I'm a theist, and I'm also an arrogant prick,

Doesn't Mr. Invisible get pissed off about cutting in on his domain?

 

Oh well, what's he gonna do? stick a needle in my ass?

Spoken like a true believer in 'Whatever is convenient.'

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen


manofmanynames (not verified)
Posts: 4294964976
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Believer,

Brian37 wrote:

Believer, "Yea, well, your poetry sucks so therefore my god exists"

 

No, dude, your poetry sucks regardless if God exists or not. 

On a side note Brian you seem more obsessed about that imaginary being, than even the most foaming of fundies. I'm curious to know what sort of child hood traumatic experience had such an effect on you? I'm also wondering Brian if you're a married man, perhaps with children? or if the picture I assume of you, as an isolated man, alone, and wounded, is a better depiction?


manofmanynames (not verified)
Posts: 4294964976
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Spoken like a true

EXC wrote:

Spoken like a true believer in 'Whatever is convenient.'

Spoken like dimwit, that doesn't get that just because one believes in God, doesn't mean he presents himself as his best image bearer. Just because i claim to be an arrogant son of a bitch, doesn't mean that I'm claiming "arrogance" as a mark of righteousness. 


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3995
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:EXC

manofmanynames wrote:

EXC wrote:

Spoken like a true believer in 'Whatever is convenient.'

Spoken like dimwit, that doesn't get that just because one believes in God, doesn't mean he presents himself as his best image bearer. Just because i claim to be an arrogant son of a bitch, doesn't mean that I'm claiming "arrogance" as a mark of righteousness. 

Spoken like someone who's god is really convenience(like all theists). Your god will accept you even though you are this way. How convienient, religion without sacrifice.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen


The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
Posts: 225
Joined: 2009-06-03
User is offlineOffline
No one else thinks it's

No one else thinks it's arrogant to accept the fact that your dog (who lives a pretty moral life, tbh) will simply rot when it dies, but you're meant to enjoy eternal paradise when it's your time to go? I think people seriously underestimate how corrupt they really are if they think they're so MORALLY superior (since heaven rewards your morality and not your intelligence over a dog) that they deserve heaven and dogs who are loyal and loving, just deserve worms.

Sorry, I've read entirely too much history and have studied people too closely to think we really deserve anything other than a loving memorial service and an occasional glance in the ol' photo album from time to time. I mean, everybody probably has at least that one Grandma who hasn't done anything wrong and certainly doesn't deserve HELL, but this pedestal we've put ourselves on seems shaky to me.

* I really hope a theist brings up a Pet Heaven * XD


SSBBJunky
Superfan
Posts: 209
Joined: 2009-02-06
User is offlineOffline
The Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:

No one else thinks it's arrogant to accept the fact that your dog (who lives a pretty moral life, tbh) will simply rot when it dies, but you're meant to enjoy eternal paradise when it's your time to go? I think people seriously underestimate how corrupt they really are if they think they're so MORALLY superior (since heaven rewards your morality and not your intelligence over a dog) that they deserve heaven and dogs who are loyal and loving, just deserve worms.

Sorry, I've read entirely too much history and have studied people too closely to think we really deserve anything other than a loving memorial service and an occasional glance in the ol' photo album from time to time. I mean, everybody probably has at least that one Grandma who hasn't done anything wrong and certainly doesn't deserve HELL, but this pedestal we've put ourselves on seems shaky to me.

* I really hope a theist brings up a Pet Heaven * XD

You haven't heard of Pet Heaven?!?

If a dog doesn't bite anyone violently or at least is nice enough to make up for it he gets to go to Pet Heaven.. but if NOT.... he goes to PET HELL!!! WHERE HE WILL SPEND ETERNITY IN A STREET......... WITH NO CARS WHATSOEVER!!!!!!!!!

''Black Holes result from God dividing the universe by zero.''


The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
Posts: 225
Joined: 2009-06-03
User is offlineOffline
LOL 

LOL

 


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3995
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
SSBBJunky wrote:he goes to

SSBBJunky wrote:

he goes to PET HELL!!! WHERE HE WILL SPEND ETERNITY IN A STREET......... WITH NO CARS WHATSOEVER!!!!!!!!!

And no fire hydrants either. It's like when I took my dog to the salt flats of Utah. Nothing to raise his leg and piss on. That was hell for him.

 

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15894
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Brian37

manofmanynames wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Believer, "Yea, well, your poetry sucks so therefore my god exists"

 

No, dude, your poetry sucks regardless if God exists or not. 

On a side note Brian you seem more obsessed about that imaginary being, than even the most foaming of fundies. I'm curious to know what sort of child hood traumatic experience had such an effect on you? I'm also wondering Brian if you're a married man, perhaps with children? or if the picture I assume of you, as an isolated man, alone, and wounded, is a better depiction?

Oh my god, you got me, my childhood was traumatic. I killed my father and married my mother, and my daughter was sentenced to death by Creon for burying her traitorous brother.

OPRAH , DR PHIL WHERE IS YOUR POP PSYCHOLOGY WHEN YOU NEED IT?

I got it now, it has nothing to do with evidence, it's all about our emotions and what we "feel"!

THANK YOU MANOFMANYNAMES! YOU SAVED ME, HOW CAN I EVER THANK YOU?

REPENT ATHEISTS, REPENT, HE HAS US ALL DEAD TO RIGHTS!

 

I"m proud to be an Merkan

Wer lest I know Im free

As long as those asshole atheists

Don't ever challenge me

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
Posts: 1018
Joined: 2008-10-24
User is offlineOffline
The Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:
Religious people are arrogant.

Nowai!


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:3

You have to expect arrogance for anyone claiming to have "exclusive truth" to the world, a secret that only people that agree with them can share.

 

It has always been that way with religions. Thankfully, modern science is based on trying to learn what we DON'T know, rather than just listening to what someone made up and nodding without any critical thinking.

 

 

As long as a used-car salesmen can make a profit, religion will exist in the world.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
Posts: 336
Joined: 2009-03-09
User is offlineOffline
Or as long as any human

Or as long as any human being can stand the cognitive dissonance between the size of the universe (just the parts we know about!!!!) and how apparently important we humans are to any sort of god. I always am amazed to listen to theists waffle between 'we're special because god made us special' and 'we're not special (look at the size of the universe!) - and yet we're supposed to act as if god made us special.'

They act as if they can have it both ways, when they really can't.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:3

crazymonkie wrote:

Or as long as any human being can stand the cognitive dissonance between the size of the universe (just the parts we know about!!!!) and how apparently important we humans are to any sort of god. I always am amazed to listen to theists waffle between 'we're special because god made us special' and 'we're not special (look at the size of the universe!) - and yet we're supposed to act as if god made us special.'

They act as if they can have it both ways, when they really can't.

 

Of course they can. That is the beauty of hypocrisy.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


treat2 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964976
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
The Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:
...I'm not making sweeping generalizations, ...

The more you repeat it, the more I actually believe it.

Babble on, dud!


The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
Posts: 225
Joined: 2009-06-03
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote: The Flying

treat2 wrote:
The Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:
...I'm not making sweeping generalizations, ...
The more you repeat it, the more I actually believe it. Babble on, dud!

You're clueless, the others get it. The more you think on it, the more you realize how bad the arrogance really is. Smiling


shalini tripathi (not verified)
Posts: 4294964976
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
religious people are irritating

 

Typical "religious" people are amongst the least tolerant and most judgemental beings..

They are very serious about their rituals ,funnily,without even understanding their meanings..

They cant give a bread to a hungry dog but wont mind feeding a full stomach cow ..

The very objective of their all holy activities is to get rid of their sufferings and bring good fate..

             But their are few people who understand that humanity is the best form of religion..and they

are the religious in true sense..


MARILYNMANSONFREAK666 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964976
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
I'd haft to say that

I'd haft to say that Atheists are some of the least arrogant.  Some Christains, (not all) are the most arrogant.  Theyre the ones that are alwasy acting like everything they say is right and trying to force their religion on you!