Reducing Group Mentality

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Reducing Group Mentality

Due to recent exchanges on the board, I thought I would post something to clarify.

So while on the interwebs, I came across this article from a former CIA officer/Clinical psychologist.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3724/is_20080126/ai_n21215393/?tag=content;col1

Quote:

As for what's to be done, Sageman argues that we should forget ideological and religious arguments, stop glamorising terrorists by talking of war, treat them as the common criminals they think they aren't, encourage more media coverage of the many Muslims who condemn terrorism, recruit more police from ethnic communities, act positively against discrimination and exclusion, make young men work rather than draw the dole, ensure due process and impartial justice, oppose all atrocities including those committed by allies -- and get out of Iraq.

That sounds, rather......familar. Smiling

To those who say that religion we can't diversify if religion is still around, take a look at Canada, Greece, Portugal, Slovakia etc....

That would be much more effective than handing out copies of the God Delusion.

To avoid a strawman, I'm not saying don't address the religion or give it a free pass. I'm saying there are more effective ways. [Ever try to reason with a YEC? I did it on the VFX site]

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:To avoid

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

To avoid a strawman, I'm not saying don't address the religion or give it a free pass. I'm saying there are more effective ways.

Prove how much more effective it is then, and then state why it has to be mutually exclusive fom addressing the religion (which creates many of those ideological differences).

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Captains trying to make a

Captains trying to make a point, without actually making a point again... isnt she o_O?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Prove how

ClockCat wrote:

Prove how much more effective it is then,

Well first of all, it goes WITH human nature rather than against it.

With this method, the changes will come naturally.

If you want ancedotal evidence, compare Canada to America. I'm not saying there isn't bigotry in Canada, but it is way reduced due to Canada's multiculturalism, compared to America's stick up the ass patriotism.

Clockcat wrote:

and then state why it has to be mutually exclusive fom addressing the religion (which creates many of those ideological differences).

I'm saying this is a more effective way than "brute force" arguing.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

So....how much more effective is it? And...why does it have to be mutually exclusive?

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:So....how

ClockCat wrote:

So....how much more effective is it? And...why does it have to be mutually exclusive?

I don't think Cappy said anything about anything having to be mutually exclusive.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

treat2 wrote:
ClockCat wrote:

I don't think Cappy said anything about anything having to be mutually exclusive.

So then...why even make this thread? What is her point?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:So....how

ClockCat wrote:

So....how much more effective is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_hypothesis

Clockcat wrote:

And...why does it have to be mutually exclusive?

I don't think social integration and addresssing their beliefs are necessarly mutually exclusive, however not enough of the former because of too much of the latter won't help.

Also doing the former will most likely naturally, bring on the latter.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

So you are saying you believe this would be easier to do than resolving the religion directly, and you believe it would be more effective.

In addition you believe that that somehow these things would address religious influence as well through unidentified natural means.

You don't have an opinion really on addressing religion and these things you listed.

This is still a lot of opinion. It is the same as saying "I feel like if we talk more, we will reach some kind of understanding!" It isn't based on anything but what you want to happen. When someone believes that others are not equal, you can't have your conflict resolution through contact hypothesis.

If you have a person that thinks all the inferior infidels need to be converted, and their society and government approves of this mentality, what is your solution?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: This is

ClockCat wrote:

This is still a lot of opinion. It is the same as saying "I feel like if we talk more, we will reach some kind of understanding!" It isn't based on anything but what you want to happen. When someone believes that others are not equal, you can't have your conflict resolution through contact hypothesis.

Give me some time,  my social psychology text cites a study that reduced homosexual prejudice in Fundamentalists, however, when I look it up, it requires a subscritbtion to the journal, I'll try to find a non-subscribtion copy.

Here's the exert from the text

Quote:

Given that right-wing authoritarism are espcially prejudice agains homosexuals, Altemeyer [1998, 2001] has focused on ways of changing attitudes in this group. And he is finding that even right-wing authoritarians can become less prejudice. One strategy is that has proven effective is to create awareness that attitudes generally have become more positive toward homosexuals. [Altemeyer 2001]. When right-wing authoriatisns are shown that their attituttudes are much more negative than other people's they tend to change their attitudes because conforming to social norms is important to them.

Another effect strategy in reducing prejudice is to encourage interaction with members of outgroups.[ The benifits of contact are discussed more fully at the end of this chapter]. Bob Altemeyer decided to find out if right-wing authoritarians would actually change their attitudes if they personally knew a homosexual person. He did so by telling on of his psychology classes at the University of Manitoba that he was homosexual and actively involved in gay rights [Bob Altemeyer is actually not gay]. What effect did this have on the right-wing authoritarians in his class? They subsequently became more positive in their attitudes towards homosexuals as a group [see Altemeyer 2001]. Thus there is a reason to be optmimistic that prejudice can be reduced, even among right-wing authoriatarians.

It came from this text [Only available in Canada apperently]

I'm not pulling this out of my ass.

Clockcat wrote:

If you have a person that thinks all the inferior infidels need to be converted, and their society and government approves of this mentality, what is your solution?

Then me thinks they need a new government.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:So you are

ClockCat wrote:

So you are saying you believe this would be easier to do than resolving the religion directly, and you believe it would be more effective.

In addition you believe that that somehow these things would address religious influence as well through unidentified natural means.

You don't have an opinion really on addressing religion and these things you listed.

Yo ass be trippin' dis whole thread, jack. Wazzup wit dat?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

...So, this would be easier than addressing their religious influences that create the problems? You are saying put them in an environment where they feel people aren't as extreme as them.

Have you watched this?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Given that

Quote:

Given that right-wing authoritarism are espcially prejudice agains homosexuals, Altemeyer [1998, 2001] has focused on ways of changing attitudes in this group. And he is finding that even right-wing authoritarians can become less prejudice. One strategy is that has proven effective is to create awareness that attitudes generally have become more positive toward homosexuals. [Altemeyer 2001]. When right-wing authoriatisns are shown that their attituttudes are much more negative than other people's they tend to change their attitudes because conforming to social norms is important to them.

Another effect strategy in reducing prejudice is to encourage interaction with members of outgroups.[ The benifits of contact are discussed more fully at the end of this chapter]. Bob Altemeyer decided to find out if right-wing authoritarians would actually change their attitudes if they personally knew a homosexual person. He did so by telling on of his psychology classes at the University of Manitoba that he was homosexual and actively involved in gay rights [Bob Altemeyer is actually not gay]. What effect did this have on the right-wing authoritarians in his class? They subsequently became more positive in their attitudes towards homosexuals as a group [see Altemeyer 2001]. Thus there is a reason to be optmimistic that prejudice can be reduced, even among right-wing authoriatarians.

Where I live, the right-wing nutjobs are a minority (for now). They simply can't avoid interacting with "members of outgroups". It doesn't seem to do much for them. Their attitudes don't change. If anything, they become more extreme. Lately, they've been getting more popular too.

And I would like to see anyone try that little experiment in a highschool.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
No can see in Cdn.

ClockCat wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

...So, this would be easier than addressing their religious influences that create the problems? You are saying put them in an environment where they feel people aren't as extreme as them.

Have you watched this?

We can't see your video reference here in Canada, could you perhaps write out a synopsis on the vid.             has for the topic, weather the Cpt. is trying to get to this point or not is confusing but it does seem clear to me that if you remove religion from the equation you also remove the motivation and reasons for the violence.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
 See if that works? 

http://www.huludownloader.com/hulu-downloader/article-watch-hulu-videos.html

Shows you how to bypass all the US only restrictions on all websites, like Veoh and Hulu.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

The video shows exactly what you are suggesting Capt. And it also shows how ineffective it is against religious beliefs. Surrounded by all the proof against what she was saying, she ignores it all and falls back on her bible calling it a "test of faith". The entire episode is incredibly infuriating for me to watch, because she openly condemns other people for existing because her religion told her so, then when people get upset because she tells them they shouldn't be allowed to have equality she claims she is being persecuted.

Here is a review on the episode.

http://cathodetan.blogspot.com/2008/06/tv-watch-30-days-same-sex-parenting.html

You really should watch it.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

If you don't want to make your browser able to view US only videos, then you can still find a torrent of the episode. It's 45 minutes, and completely worth the watch...as I would say for almost all of the series 30 days.

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi4242014233/ is the IMDB link for the episode.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:The video

ClockCat wrote:

The video shows exactly what you are suggesting Capt. And it also shows how ineffective it is against religious beliefs. Surrounded by all the proof against what she was saying, she ignores it all and falls back on her bible calling it a "test of faith". The entire episode is incredibly infuriating for me to watch, because she openly condemns other people for existing because her religion told her so, then when people get upset because she tells them they shouldn't be allowed to have equality she claims she is being persecuted.

It seems to be blocked from Canada.

This episode

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8521594972908795261

Seemed to have an effect on the Christian person. At the end he admits to being close minded

Listen to his speech at 41:30.

I tried to find the episode you referenced on google video, but no success. "/

jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote: And I

Anonymouse wrote:

I teach high school in southern California, and in my experiences I have been amazed at the level of acceptance that students show towards people who are different from themselves, sepcifcally, students who are openly homosexual and students who have mental/physical special needs. I only graduated from high school seven years ago, but high schools that I have been in are WAY different from the ones I grew up in. I remember hardly any students tolerating difference, like I think your alluding to, but take comfort in realizing that things are changing through interaction and dialogue through differences.

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat

jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
User is offlineOffline

ClockCat wrote:

Clock I think this episode is evidence for your point, but it is an isolated case and perhaps an example of how religious tolerance goes at a slow pace. But, I think history would definitely be on your side, since religious intolerance has existed for a long time (forever?). This historical fact, however, shouldn't sway us in trying to create more tolerant religious environment in the world. In my opinion, what Cpt_ is showing to us an on-going social experiment and in my opinion it's a little early to judge its outcome.

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
So Cpt, you're saying an

So Cpt, you're saying an atheistic agenda might be better served by just talking to nice theists and only nice theists. So that giving moderates all the air time requires extremism to join a moderate band in order to be taken at all, let alone taken seriously? Sounds like good theory, I guess.

But, in reference to your thread title, I would say that this is a kind of working with group mentalities rather than against them, right?

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

jread wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Clock I think this episode is evidence for your point, but it is an isolated case and perhaps an example of how religious tolerance goes at a slow pace. But, I think history would definitely be on your side, since religious intolerance has existed for a long time (forever?). This historical fact, however, shouldn't sway us in trying to create more tolerant religious environment in the world. In my opinion, what Cpt_ is showing to us an on-going social experiment and in my opinion it's a little early to judge its outcome.

An isolated case? If it was an isolated case, then I wouldn't have to deal with my rights being restricted in this country. I run into these people every day, usually forcefully shoving their crap at others, no matter the disproval. They feel vindicated by their religion, so they don't care what anyone else thinks...everyone else is "lesser" to them. Frequently, even the law. I have heard more than one say things like "The laws of god are higher than the laws of man." That is especially terrifying to me, because I am one of the people they target.

When the religious influence directly causes this behavior, and they go to a church that preaches the "evils of homosexuality", then I see the best course of action being to remove that religious influence so they are not being taught to hate and discriminate. If you want to sit down with them and watch them be unwilling to change any views that they learned at their church, and ignore reality calling it a "test of faith" while falling back to their scripture, feel free. I don't see anything coming from it though. I certaintly would not view it as any kind of alternative to removing the source of the problem. The best you could hope for is pulling a few people off the fence.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
jread wrote:Anonymouse

jread wrote:

Anonymouse wrote:

I teach high school in southern California, and in my experiences I have been amazed at the level of acceptance that students show towards people who are different from themselves, sepcifcally, students who are openly homosexual and students who have mental/physical special needs. I only graduated from high school seven years ago, but high schools that I have been in are WAY different from the ones I grew up in. I remember hardly any students tolerating difference, like I think your alluding to, but take comfort in realizing that things are changing through interaction and dialogue through differences.

Or... the children of the species has grown smart enough, to not fuck around infront of the teachers anymore >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jread wrote:Anonymouse

jread wrote:

Anonymouse wrote:

I'm glad to hear that interaction and dialogue are working somewhere, and I have no doubt that something can be achieved like that.

But I still find that in some situations, where religion is involved, it simply doesn't work at all.

I've been going to school with third-generation muslim immigrant kids all my life. Every single aspect of their religion is tolerated and respected, but even the so-called "moderates" have no intention of responding in kind. When I came out in high school, I lost all my muslim friends. They won't even shake my hand anymore.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Anonymouse wrote:

jread wrote:

Anonymouse wrote:

I'm glad to hear that interaction and dialogue are working somewhere, and I have no doubt that something can be achieved like that.

But I still find that in some situations, where religion is involved, it simply doesn't work at all.

I've been going to school with third-generation muslim immigrant kids all my life. Every single aspect of their religion is tolerated and respected, but even the so-called "moderates" have no intention of responding in kind. When I came out in high school, I lost all my muslim friends. They won't even shake my hand anymore.

I have a friend who was a Jehova's Witness, and when he left the religion they practically exiled him. His mom won't even speak to him. All his friends shun him as well, they pretend he doesn't exist. According to them, his name is "stricken from the book of life" or something. This is not a special case, it is standard treatment apparently.

Yeah. He is a good guy, too.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:ClockCat

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Give me some time,  my social psychology text cites a study that reduced homosexual prejudice in Fundamentalists, however, when I look it up, it requires a subscritbtion to the journal, I'll try to find a non-subscribtion copy.

Here's the exert from the text

Quote:

It came from this text [Only available in Canada apperently]

I'm not pulling this out of my ass.

Clockcat wrote:

I'm in complete agreement with the above quoted responses from Cappy.

There's nothing you can "say"
to change the minds of those that view you as an inferior
subhuman. That is a matter for government, the courts, laws, and schools.

As we all know, such changes in others require decades, not A conversation, nor a pamphlet.

I don't envision the U.S. government is interested in an Atheist nation, nor are well over 90% of the pop.

In as much as equal rights are concerned, that was addressed above, re. the institutions involved.

As far as gays are concerned,
equal rights will NOT occur by attempting to Atheistize anyone.

If you want to talk about equal rights to the religious, then you're going to need to speak their language and refer to THEIR GOD AND THEIR BIBLES.

Change will DEFINITELY NOT occur by attempting to convince anyone that their is no god. As referred to by Cappy in her post referring to the "God Delusion".

The religious flock are for all intenive purposes, totally disinterestested in your / our Atheistic views, and that alone should tell you something.

CC, sounds to me like you're far more interested in expressing your hatred of religion and getting some "payback", rather than ACTUALLY professing ANY realistic agenda.

It would behove you to consider what you REALLY want, because your attitude and agenda do no show any constructive agenda towards gaining equal rights for gays, with regard to EVEN THOSE that ARE religious that WOULD even venture into an Atheist zone.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:So Cpt, you're

Eloise wrote:

So Cpt, you're saying an atheistic agenda might be better served by just talking to nice theists and only nice theists. So that giving moderates all the air time requires extremism to join a moderate band in order to be taken at all, let alone taken seriously? Sounds like good theory, I guess.

But, in reference to your thread title, I would say that this is a kind of working with group mentalities rather than against them, right?

It IS going WITH group mentalities. That is how people change seeing as we are social animals.

Clock what is your reaction to the episode I posted?  The guy was certaintly reisistant at first, but he clearly changed.

Why is gay marriage legal in Canada, yet Canada pretty much mirrors the religousity in America? [64% Canadians as opposed to 65% Americans have high to moderate importance of religion in their life.]

Hint: Canada encourages diversity.

I can't find the episode you posted that plays in Canada, but even so, you aren't going to get a 100% reduction. Given the social conduct, maybe her friends will change, etc... and it will be much easier for her to change once that happens. [It is the extended contact hypothesis.]

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Captain, I've read the

Captain, I've read the Altmeyer study.  If you haven't read all of The Authoritarian Specter, you really should.  He gives some details of the study in that book, and that study is considered pretty revolutionary in sociology.

Basically, it works like this.  When RWAs (right wing authoritarians) are put in positions where they interact closely with homosexuals or other "out-group" members and become compatriots with them, their attitudes towards those members become less negative, although in very few cases did their attitudes shift entirely to positive.  I forget the numbers... it's been at least a decade, if memory serves, since I read it.  I do remember that it was pervasive.  It went well beyond statistically significant to the point of saying that it's pretty much predictable.

The flip side of this is how much exposure the RWAs had to the out-group members as opposed to the in-group members.  In other words, if their negative attitudes were frequently reinforced by interaction with the in-group, the amount of attitude change they experienced was significantly less (although still statistically significant) than when they were put in a position where the "out-group" was actually taking the place of an authority in some way or another.

To put this in religious context, it's basically what I've said in THIS ESSAY.   In a way, I'm kind of saying something like what you're saying.  The trick to deconverting a specific theist, or at least getting them to be more rational about their theism, is to change their environment so that they're around atheists who become the "in-group," such that any authoritarian tendencies they have will tend to lead them to bond with the new in-group -- non-theists.  (As you may or may not know, RWAs are highly likely to be moderately to significantly religious.)

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline

ClockCat wrote:

CC, in addition to my response above, I would also like to remind you that Atheism professes nothing about how straight Atheists should or do feel towards gays.

In fact, I was not only married to an Atheist that rejected her brother because he is gay, but I have personally known countless Atheists that don't particularly like gays at all. Moreover, with regard to those Atheists I'm referring to, some of them are no more liberal minded than Evangelicals are, and some others are barely more open-minded in their views of gays.

FYI. I'm not amongst them. However, I wouldn't deny that
even though I was raised by Atheists, as a young man, until my late 20's, I was not
particularly enchanted by gays and their complaints.

Much time has past since then, and if you know anything about P-Town, I have
many times vacationed there and intentionally stayed in P-Town, as I very much enjoyed the atmosphere of the culture, art, fun, and political and social views held by much of its population. Aside from that I've had aery long-standing platonic but close relationship with a gay man that I've always considered as my Uncle, as well as, friedships with several other gays, and I'm entirely suppotive of their gripes with how the law and society as a whole, and individuals tends to mistreat them.

That's just me. It's NOTHING to do with Atheism, AND I KNOW the PERSONAL roots of predjudice towards gays does NOT originate with the people that are Evangelical. All Atheists I've known have disapproved of the religious Evangelical agenda.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:To put

Hambydammit wrote:

To put this in religious context, it's basically what I've said in THIS ESSAY.   In a way, I'm kind of saying something like what you're saying.  The trick to deconverting a specific theist, or at least getting them to be more rational about their theism, is to change their environment so that they're around atheists who become the "in-group," such that any authoritarian tendencies they have will tend to lead them to bond with the new in-group -- non-theists.  (As you may or may not know, RWAs are highly likely to be moderately to significantly religious.)

Issues:

1] Only 14% of Americans and 17% of Canadians are atheist [Or at least report "no religion". It does not distinguish between atheists and non-practicing Theists], so that is far too small to affect the whole country. I don't think we Canadians need much help anyway.

So you can either:

a] Work on the getting a much higher number atheist and THEN addressing the contact hypothesis

or

b] Start the contact hypothesis now with Theists then address the Theist issue at your leisure after the main issue has been addressed.

2] RWA is a personality trait,  so guess what will happen if they bond to the new in-group? Yeah, in-group assholes.

on an ancedotal level, I've known some RWAs that were atheists, and if you think they're any more rational/less organized......

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Captain,

Hambydammit wrote:

Captain, I've read the Altmeyer study.  If you haven't read all of The Authoritarian Specter, you really should.  He gives some details of the study in that book, and that study is considered pretty revolutionary in sociology.

Basically, it works like this.  When RWAs (right wing authoritarians) are put in positions where they interact closely with homosexuals or other "out-group" members and become compatriots with them, their attitudes towards those members become less negative, although in very few cases did their attitudes shift entirely to positive.  I forget the numbers... it's been at least a decade, if memory serves, since I read it.  I do remember that it was pervasive.  It went well beyond statistically significant to the point of saying that it's pretty much predictable.

The flip side of this is how much exposure the RWAs had to the out-group members as opposed to the in-group members.  In other words, if their negative attitudes were frequently reinforced by interaction with the in-group, the amount of attitude change they experienced was significantly less (although still statistically significant) than when they were put in a position where the "out-group" was actually taking the place of an authority in some way or another.

There's no "trick" to changing a "specific" Evangelical or right-winger, as in a "solution" to a "problem".

People change when they decide toand you are an insignificant "gnat", as far as anyone wondering into this site is concerned, with regard to their most closely held personal beliefs. I grant you, there are rare exceptions: suicidal people, the MOST EXTREMELY miserable people seeking a new "religion", not to mention a few rare others that are VERY easily manipulated (excluding those which some form of indoctrination into a cult is required).

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Cappy, lol to #1. #1

Cappy, lol to "a".

"a" could include the technique of "Subliminal Suggestion", or perhaps the untapped power of "Internet Hypnosis".

(I don't think it likely anyone here will ever lay claim to reasoning with an Evangelical to alter their vies on gods and religion. I should say, any honest person here.)

BTW. At least Canada has some form of patially socialized medicine. That is just one example of something very significant that Canada and a number of other developed countries are light years ahead of us in the U.S.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:Cappy, lol to

treat2 wrote:
Cappy, lol to "a". "a" could include the technique of "Subliminal Suggestion", or perhaps the untapped power of "Internet Hypnosis". (I don't think it likely anyone here will ever lay claim to reasoning with an Evangelical to alter their vies on gods and religion. I should say, any honest person here.) BTW. At least Canada has some form of patially socialized medicine. That is just one example of something very significant that Canada and a number of other developed countries are light years ahead of us in the U.S.

Oh and don't forget that only atheists can solve things.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: Have you

ClockCat wrote:

Have you watched this?

Thanks for the vid. I thoroughly enjoyed it despite the fact that the lady was a champion of prejudice and closed mindedness. This is a perfect example of everything I hate about religious faith. The lady refused to budge even when faced with a mountain of opposing evidence.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Oh and

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Oh and don't forget that only atheists can solve things.

Wow! Guess I'm supposed to be blessed with the highest known intelligence.