OCD

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
OCD

Is the cliche/phrase ''You have to get it under control before it gets worse'' applicable to mild OCD'ish behavior?

''Black Holes result from God dividing the universe by zero.''

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
How much is...mild?

How much is...mild?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:How much

butterbattle wrote:

How much is...mild?

Well it's hard to describe, but stuff like constantly(every 5 minutes or so) HAVING to run everything that i have to do/is going in the near future through my mind...  and for example if i'm gonna close a zipper I(most if the times) have to close a couple times(to MAKE SURE that it's completely closed :/) and other stuff like the zipper thing....

:/

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, that's nothing. You'll

Oh, that's nothing.

You'll be fine.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Oh,

butterbattle wrote:

Oh, that's nothing.

You'll be fine.

Ok-doki.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Yup! Just means you gotta

Yup! Just means you gotta take your Meds a few times a day, and mellow out.

Cool, dude!

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
SSBBJunky wrote:butterbattle

SSBBJunky wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

How much is...mild?

Well it's hard to describe, but stuff like constantly(every 5 minutes or so) HAVING to run everything that i have to do/is going in the near future through my mind...  and for example if i'm gonna close a zipper I(most if the times) have to close a couple times(to MAKE SURE that it's completely closed :/) and other stuff like the zipper thing....

Hehehe ~ I have a zipper thing but it has to do with recipes...

I rarely cook because I drive myself crazy double checking everything!

*thinking to myself* 'was that tablespoon or teaspoon? *checks recipe* okay tablespoon 3 tablespoons....wait was it 3 or 2 *checks recipe* Ok good, 2 tablespoons. Now did this go in with that ingredient? *re-reads the order of ingredients....

this goes on for just about every item going into the recipe...

Smiling

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Not to worry. Your brain is

Not to worry.

Your brain is fucked up.

Just take your Meds.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:Not to worry.

treat2 wrote:
Not to worry. Your brain is fucked up. Just take your Meds.

Smiling

But then I wouldn't have any weird things to share with people!

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

SSBBJunky wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

How much is...mild?

Hehehe ~ I have a zipper thing but it has to do with recipes...

I rarely cook because I drive myself crazy double checking everything!

*thinking to myself* 'was that tablespoon or teaspoon? *checks recipe* okay tablespoon 3 tablespoons....wait was it 3 or 2 *checks recipe* Ok good, 2 tablespoons. Now did this go in with that ingredient? *re-reads the order of ingredients....

this goes on for just about every item going into the recipe...

Smiling

Hehe, this is pretty much one of the things I do, except that I don't cook.

thinktank
thinktank's picture
User is offlineOffline
That is nothing, I had a

That is nothing, I had a room mate in college that washed his hands for hours at a time.  And that was lighter side to his OCD.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
thinktank wrote:That is

thinktank wrote:

That is nothing, I had a room mate in college that washed his hands for hours at a time.  And that was lighter side to his OCD.

The fascinating thing about OCD are studies of it have shown 2 things:

1) There is a genetic predisposition related to development of OCD, and

2) Despite it having been considered a neurotic condition and treated as such by psychologists, etc., there is firm evidence that OCD is related to a "chemical imbalance." You can google it for more info on the specific
receptors and chemicals involved.

Despite firm medical evidence
of these facts (don't take my word for it, research it youself), psychologists, etc., by enlarge remain firmly convinced in the obsolete traditional thinking
that a "talking cure" is the way to treat what actually is a medical, and not a psychological disorder.

Behaviorists have claimed limited (ie. short lived) "sucess." And generally speaking the layman
is entirely confusedd about OCD.

Yet one other thing I personally find Very interesting is that the vast majority of OCD conditions are no=t unique! These same symptoms are seen over and over again.

Yet another interesting statistic is the OCD has been noted to occur almost entirely in developed countries, as opposed to 3rd world countries.

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:thinktank

treat2 wrote:
thinktank wrote:

The fascinating thing about OCD are studies of it have shown 2 things: 1) There is a genetic predisposition related to development of OCD, and 2) Despite it having been considered a neurotic condition and treated as such by psychologists, etc., there is firm evidence that OCD is related to a "chemical imbalance." You can google it for more info on the specific receptors and chemicals involved. Despite firm medical evidence of these facts (don't take my word for it, research it youself), psychologists, etc., by enlarge remain firmly convinced in the obsolete traditional thinking that a "talking cure" is the way to treat what actually is a medical, and not a psychological disorder. Behaviorists have claimed limited (ie. short lived) "sucess." And generally speaking the layman is entirely confusedd about OCD. Yet one other thing I personally find Very interesting is that the vast majority of OCD conditions are no=t unique! These same symptoms are seen over and over again. Yet another interesting statistic is the OCD has been noted to occur almost entirely in developed countries, as opposed to 3rd world countries.

All psychological conditions are also medical conditions.

This does not change the fact that traditional psychological treatments can be effective. In fact, studies have shown that patients (including OCD patients), improve the most when given both therapy ("talking cure&quotEye-wink and drugs, rather than just drugs or therapy. This can be the placebo effect, of course, but improvement is improvement.

However, in the specific case of OCD, there is rarely much relief for its symptoms. Sometimes, not even minor brain laceration (the most extreme treatment) is enough to eliminate it.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
theotherguy wrote:All

theotherguy wrote:
All psychological conditions are also medical conditions...

Explain what you mean by a "medical" condition.

If by "medical" you mean that the all psychological conditions are the result of responses to physical causes,
that is rather obvious, as we respond to stimuli, our brain, etc.

However, that fact is rather misleading, as I could make the same naive argument: those of us that can or can not breath, do so as a result of a "medical condition." And for those of us that can't breath on our own, a ventilator or other device can be used to facilitate breathing.

Nothing particularly new or revealing about that. It is also not particularly informative that the AMA has classifications for psychological disorders.

Perhaps a more insipid esponse would be that we think and sleep as a result of a medical condition.

In as much as "ALL" psychological "conditions" are concerning, any Behaviorist would also make a similarly insignificant statement.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

SSBBJunky wrote:
butterbattle wrote:
How much is...mild?

That is a hell of a lot less than posting in places like this. If you keep posting here you are a goner.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml