How do you determine right from wrong?

Observer
Observer's picture
User is offlineOffline
How do you determine right from wrong?

How do we determine right and wrong? How do we mold our lives to follow ethical standards and moral choices? What is morality?

If anybody would like to, I would love to hear how you think human beings do this. If this has been posted on here before, I am sorry. I tried to look and didn’t find one. There others LIKE this topic, but not one where people simply left how they form their morality.

Below are the basic questions I would like responders to address. This is not a debate, I just want to know how you as an individual address the issue of following and forming ethics.

What are some ethical choices we make today that should remain constant forever?

For instance, not stealing would be an eternal moral. What are some ethical choices past civilizations followed but we should not longer follow? For instance, ending slavery, caste systems, and racism in general in addition to allowing gay marriage may be areas that people identify as a changing aspect of morals. Also, please include WHY we should follow these morals. What is the reason you would give to an individual for why they should follow these moral choices?

Zaq
atheist
Zaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Zaq

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Zaq wrote:

..... So these people stole in order to live... Does that mean they were in the wrong?

Did they steal only those things necessary to remain alive or did they appropriate other things such as television sets, jewelry, furniture, alcoholic beverages, and other non essential material goods ?   After the hurricane passed and the shop owners returned did these people make any attempt at restitution or was their attitude simply one of "fuck it, who gives a shit" ?

Uh... does it matter?  According to NAP, they were wrong to steal because they initiating an agression that wasn't in response to an aggression.  This still applies if they only stole what they needed and then made honest attempts at restitution.

Questions for Theists:
http://silverskeptic.blogspot.com/2011/03/consistent-standards.html

I'm a bit of a lurker. Every now and then I will come out of my cave with a flurry of activity. Then the Ph.D. program calls and I must fall back to the shadows.

Zaq
atheist
Zaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Zaq

Gah, stupid double posts