Maybe Greta Christina can help: Abortion Killings, and Why Religion is Bad

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe Greta Christina can help: Abortion Killings, and Why Religion is Bad

If you guys don't know about Greta Christina, you should.  I discovered her after I wrote what I consider my best article:  Why Are Atheists So Angry?

It turns out, she wrote the same article, only with pictures, and far more depth.

http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_christinas_weblog/2007/10/atheists-and-an.html

You should definitely read the whole thing.  I get angry every time I do.

Anyway, I've done my best to explain (particularly to Pineapple) why religion is necessarily bad.  Maybe Greta can explain it better than I can.  Check out her blog response to the latest abortion murder:

http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_christinas_weblog/2009/06/how-religion-twists-the-moral-compass.html

Greta Christina wrote:
Religion is far from the only belief system or ideology that can inspire people who think they're doing good to commit terrible, heinous acts... But here's the problem with religion... With religion, there's no reality check. There's no expectation of a reality check. There's not even any sense that a reality check is a reasonable thing to expect.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Since this is now going

Since this is now going through three topics {this one, The Greater Good one, and Kevin's} and since my objections will basically apply to that site as much to your argument, I see no point putting three discussions on the same thing which the info is already in one thread [the greater good] and is creeping into Kevin's topic.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Oh and for the record, I

Oh and for the record, I think I do have a good grasp on your argument, I don't think you have one on mine.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
That, Captain, was a

That, Captain, was a wonderful response to Hamby's post.  Oh, you weren't responding to it?  Weird, I see you've written twice above me.  So much for substance.  Oh, and Captain, if you think that Hamby does not understand your argument, you may want to work on presenting a damned argument.

Hamby, I'm so glad you've put us in reach of this woman's blog.  She is a great writer.  The articulate perspective with which she addresses what about religion makes it so poisonous to morality is better said in one short paragraph than in Hitchen's book, God is not Great, where a good bit is given over to that topic.  I honestly hoped I would have something to write other than platitudes, but I can't comment other than to say that I agree and that it's well put.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:That,

Thomathy wrote:

That, Captain, was a wonderful response to Hamby's post.  Oh, you weren't responding to it?  Weird, I see you've written twice above me.  So much for substance.  Oh, and Captain, if you think that Hamby does not understand your argument, you may want to work on presenting a damned argument.

I've presented my objection in "The Greater Good" thread, I am sure you have read them, considering you posted AFTER I posted them.

For the record, Hamby proposes that religion can override our natural morality [as shown with his truth table]. For example on his table it's Good or Bad regardless of the Person [Either good or bad] or the naturally derived morality [Good or bad]

This says that if a religious person derives Good, they may do good, or their religion may override their Good  naturally derived morality and they will do bad.

I say that if this is true, then we should see success in the abstenence only programs. Why?

Because we naturally want to have sex. If religion can override natural instincts, then the program would be a complete success. It isn't.

Cognition isn't a fucking light switch. Either religion can override naturally derived morals or it can not. You can't pick and choose whether it can or not out of convience.

Hamby has yet to address this. One way to do this is explain the failure of the abstenece program without saying it goes against our natural instincts/morals since that would basically nullify his argument.

[edit]

Or he would have to propose a coherent mechanism [read: One that doesn't decide depending on the whether the action is good or bad. i.e no cherry picking/confirmation bais] in which religion can override the natural mechanism in some cases but not in others.

[/edit]

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Or he

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Or he would have to propose a coherent mechanism [read: One that doesn't decide depending on the whether the action is good or bad. i.e no cherry picking/confirmation bais] in which religion can override the natural mechanism in some cases but not in others.
I thought I was going to have to point that out for you.  That's exactly what needs to be done.  Well, not exactly.  Sex, sure, it's a pretty strong instinct.  People, teenagers, really want to have it.  No one is saying, however, that religion overrides natural mechanism only on its own (or that it doesn't).  There doesn't seem to be a problem with Hamby's proposal even if it were a colusion of factors that lead to the override of the natural mechanism in question.  Religion can and has been fairly good at keeping uncountable numbers of human celebate for their entire lives.  So, unless Hamby is saying that religion is exclusively overriding certain natural mechanisms (like not murdering, which I wouldn't be sure is always guaranteed by our natural mechanism) and not others (like sex), I don't really see the problem. 

The only thing religion (and like ideologies) is unique in there is not being answerable to reality.  That is, when it doesn't produce the effect we're told it should, we should all politely look the other way since it's taken care of somewhere else, like heaven or because of some excuse or another.  And baring politely looking the other way, we can be screamed at by a Donohue (and in the past it hasn't always been just loud voices, has it?) for our impious noticing.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think religion can

I don't think religion can override 'natural' morality, I think it just amplifies whatever is already there.

Btw nice link

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:<

If religion wasn't around last year I would be able to get married in California.

Thank you religion for making every possible step to ruin my life because apparently my existence is an abomination to some desert god.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:No one is

Thomathy wrote:

No one is saying, however, that religion overrides natural mechanism only on its own (or that it doesn't). 

I'm not so sure. In Hamby's truth table it isn't binary. It's either only Good or only Bad.

Quote:

There doesn't seem to be a problem with Hamby's proposal even if it were a colusion of factors that lead to the override of the natural mechanism in question

Actually, it is relevant as to whether or not those factors in of themselves are adequate to override the natural mechanism.

For example I am celebate. If I were madly religious, then I, would of course, attribute my celebacy to my religion.

If I were to fly over to a third world country to support the Red Cross, and I was religious, I would attribute the actions to my religion etc.....

If I really hated somebody because I think they stole my land and I bombed them, and I was religious, I would attribute it to my religion.

In none of those cases was religion required, and yet I still attributed them all to my religion.  The question is:

Is my desire to be celebate/help others/bomb the people who stole my land etc...  in of itself adequate for me to complete the action?

You would need a mechanism to distinguish between that too.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

The problem with that line of thinking is that you are looking at religion only as an excuse.

It is used to teach people their religion's "morals"  as well. Like their god killing gays, and destroying cities because of gays. Calling it an abomination, and stoning to death being an okay thing.

Whether or not they accept the "judgement" of the morals, it teaches that it is okay to hate people for being gay, because their divine creator wills it.

If you took someone that was not taught anything about religion, they would only feel curiosity about something they didn't know... rather than trained thoughts of scorn and thinking of a natural thing as unnatural through divine morality teachings.

For my speculation:

It fosters irrational hatred, because they feel threatened through the teaching of their god being willing to commit genocide due to some sodomy. If I go to a more religious area I have problems, if I go to a less religious area it is safer for me. These people feel justified to be bigots because they don't believe gays should exist due to their religious teachings. (that gays shouldn't exist)

The sad part is, many of them don't even look at gays as human beings, they look at them as walking "sins" that need to be purged. This makes it even easier, as once you dehumanize someone you can do anything without feeling the guilt normally associated with it...this is why there is so much anti-gay violence, and murders that happen like Matthew Shepard and Lawrence King. In nearly every one of these cases the killer feels what they did is okay because they are following their religion, and "the laws of god are higher than the laws of man" in a very boondock saints kind of way. :I

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
on a side note; Anagram

on a side note;

Anagram for

Greta Christina

Great Christian

I hearby commence an inquisition upon Hamby for consorting with the enemy!

Remember, if fire burns him, hes not an atheist!

What Would Kharn Do?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I feel certain that's her

I feel certain that's her pen name.  Well... not a hundred percent certain... stranger things have happened.  But damn... it's a great pen name.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:That,

Thomathy wrote:

Hamby, I'm so glad you've put us in reach of this woman's blog...

Why not just post your congratulations and thanks, instead of posting like an obnoxious brown nosing obedient Borget.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:Thomathy

treat2 wrote:
Thomathy wrote:

Hamby, I'm so glad you've put us in reach of this woman's blog...

Why not just post your congratulations and thanks, instead of posting like an obnoxious brown nosing obedient Borget.
Oh, treat2, it's not my style.  I thought it could make a good blurb.  I don't really know what you're talking about, but you're so obviously a cool bitch it doesn't matter.  Such a sweet thing, too.

BigUniverse wrote,

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
So then, no

So then, no mechanisms?

Didn't think so.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:So then,

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
So then, no mechanisms? 

Didn't think so.

Well, you weren't expecting them from me, were you? Sticking out tongue

BigUniverse wrote,

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know what's funny? The

You know what's funny?

The theist who has been unable to produce a plausible mechanism through which her deity works demanding mechanisms of anyone else.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:You know

Kevin R Brown wrote:

You know what's funny?

The theist who has been unable to produce a plausible mechanism through which her deity works demanding mechanisms of anyone else.

Hilarious eh?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Almost as hilarious as you

Almost as hilarious as you decrying an article you didn't actually read.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Almost

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Almost as hilarious as you decrying an article you didn't actually read.

I actually DID read the article.

My post still stands.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:My post still

Quote:
My post still stands.

In your mind and nobody elses.

*Thumbs-up*

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Quote:My

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
My post still stands.

*Thumbs-up*

Kevin, do you know WHY a mechanism is so important?

Here watch this:

Of course Greg Paul showed that religious societies have a high rate of social ills because the people use religion for comfort, ergo it's the ills that cause the religion.

Prove me wrong.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
My post still stands.

*Thumbs-up*

Kevin, do you know WHY a mechanism is so important?

Here watch this:

Of course Greg Paul showed that religious societies have a high rate of social ills because the people use religion for comfort, ergo it's the ills that cause the religion.

Prove me wrong.

Where does making new "social ills" fit into this? Because the desert god thing hates gays, and the people that go worship him learn to hate gays because they are told it is okay to.

It doesn't matter if people go there for comfort, if when they get there they are told to create new problems that didn't exist before.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Where does

ClockCat wrote:

Where does making new "social ills" fit into this? Because the desert god thing hates gays, and the people that go worship him learn to hate gays because they are told it is okay to.

It doesn't matter if people go there for comfort, if when they get there they are told to create new problems that didn't exist before.

Actually homophobia isn't particulary new.

Next time somebody says that they stand by the Bible and homosexuality is against the Bible and they take the Bible by it's word try this:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/17707

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
And there it is. Alison once

And there it is. Alison once again playing part of the apologist for fundies.

I swear, you could set a clock to this.

Didn't you say earlier, when ClockCat asked you about medieval history (including events like the Iconoclast War, Inquisition, Crusades, etc), that you were ignorant of the time period? If that's the case, how is it you can then also claim to be of authority in the matter of the history of homophobia? When/where did you study this topic, Alison?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:And

Kevin R Brown wrote:

And there it is. Alison once again playing part of the apologist for fundies.

I swear, you could set a clock to this.

Kevin I never said fundies should be homophobes. So nice try.

There are effective ways to reduce homophobia.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

When/where did you study this topic, Alison?

It's called psychology. Try it sometime.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hamby's right... you 2

Hamby's right... you 2 really do need to fuck

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

I don't think Kevin would know a mechanism for that

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:The

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:

I don't think Kevin would know a mechanism for that

Ouch.

''Black Holes result from God dividing the universe by zero.''

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Actually homophobia isn't particulary new.

Next time somebody says that they stand by the Bible and homosexuality is against the Bible and they take the Bible by it's word try this:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/17707

Oh. So the Greeks had a problem with homophob...wait that's not right. Oh, and Rome...no, that's not right either. You mean it didn't catch on until the "Holy Roman Empire" when christianity was adopted there? Hmm.

Strange, that.

Oh, and it must be coincidence that people are taught homophobia in churches, while being read scriptures about sodomy and their god's wrath against it.

Strange coincidences indeed.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: Oh, and it

ClockCat wrote:

Oh, and it must be coincidence that people are taught homophobia in churches, while being read scriptures about sodomy and their god's wrath against it.

Unless God literally destroyed the Sodomites, that homophobia in the bible had to come from somewhere.

Anyway I already wrote something on homophobia

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/17665

Tycoon's quote is a question to me after I said I know homophobic atheists

I wrote:

Tycoon wrote:

What are their reasons for believing that homosexuality is immoral? Do you know?

I don't know, but I would assume that it's because they would not kiss a person of the same gender themselves, hence they view it as "unnatural", or they were taught to get a member of the opposite gender and make babies and you need to produce kids for a "family life", since homosexual couples cannot produce babies, same thing as above.

While religion can most certaintly amplify these feelings. They may think "I think it's gross, therefore God thinks it's gross, therefore it is wrong."

The problem with getting them to change their behaviour is when they drop the first part, and only rely on the last part.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Everyone's been trying to

Everyone's been trying to explain this for several weeks, Pineapple.  Religion doesn't create new instincts in humans.  It amplifies several instincts, and then misleads them with necessarily unscientific information.

Religion didn't invent homophobia.  Homophobia is, like racism, a "misfiring" of our instinct to group with people like us -- to form us/them dichotomies.  Science has told us that homosexuals are, in fact, just as human as the rest of us, and that there's no good reason for disliking them or discriminating against them.  Religion, unfortunately, does not share the scientific perspective, and so continues with the unscientific teaching that they are THEM, not US. 

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Everyone's

Hambydammit wrote:

Everyone's been trying to explain this for several weeks, Pineapple. 

And I've been asking for several weeks:

1] Proof that the social ills don't or are unlikely to cause the religion in the countries  [By taking the other factors into account] Studies indicate that religiousity increases when people fall on hard times. [Gregory Paul's study can easily be explained by this]

2] The mechanism of which to differeniate whether religion is the critical amplifier.

3] Basic human psychology says that people will merely subsitute one justificition for another if one of those fails to work.

THIS is why I stress that the behaviour is multi-facet. By merely focusing on the religion, you are ignoring the said other facets of the behaviour which is much more likely to reduce it. I tried to tell you this on your blog with the example of the liquor store robbery.

4] Atheists and Theists derive their morals the same way. Studies [as citied in The God Delusion] show that atheists and Theists have the same sense of morality. [He used the Trolly and varients]

If there was a difference, that the Theist's moral compass was bent, it most likely would have shown up there.

Until then you don't have "over-whelming scientific and social proof"

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Unless God literally destroyed the Sodomites, that homophobia in the bible had to come from somewhere.

Hmm...well lets see. What do christians believe.....oh, thats right.

That their god literally destroyed the sodomites.

Huh. I wonder why they feel vindicated in their bigotry.

Maybe because it is marked to them as "divine" bigotry, so it can't be bigotry because their god can't be wrong. Right?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:1] Proof that the

Quote:
1] Proof that the social ills don't or are unlikely to cause the religion in the countries  [By taking the other factors into account] Studies indicate that religiousity increases when people fall on hard times. [Gregory Paul's study can easily be explained by this]

Irrelevant in this context.  I'm not arguing that his studies prove anything.  This argument doesn't rely on any statistics.  That's the whole point, Pineapple.

Quote:
2] The mechanism of which to differeniate whether religion is the critical amplifier.

Ahem... it's called psychology.

Quote:
3] Basic human psychology says that people will merely subsitute one justificition for another if one of those fails to work.

Where did you study psychology, and how in the world are you able to apply such a broad brushstroke to all human action?

Quote:
4] Atheists and Theists derive their morals the same way. Studies [as citied in The God Delusion] show that atheists and Theists have the same sense of morality. [He used the Trolly and varients]

Bloody fucking hell, Pineapple.   THAT'S THE WHOLE BLOODY FUCKING POINT!  Everybody gets their morals from the same place.  It is plainly fucking obvious that religion teaches things that are NOT CONCURRENT WITH REALITY, and it is plainly fucking obvious that religion TAPS INTO THE INSTINCT FOR US-THEM GROUPING, and it's plainly fucking obvious that people have a NATURAL TENDENCY to be BLOODY FUCKING MEAN to people who are not in the IN GROUP.

What is so fucking hard about this?  It doesn't take statistics.  It takes two bloody fucking steps of logic.

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Irrelevant

Hambydammit wrote:

Irrelevant in this context.  I'm not arguing that his studies prove anything.  This argument doesn't rely on any statistics.  That's the whole point, Pineapple.

It should. Statistics is how things are proven in sociology and social psychology.

It's no coincidence that psychology and sociology majors have to take several courses in stats.

Quote:

Ahem... it's called psychology.

Wow, a vague mechanism. How surprising.

Use my examples I posted earlier to see whether your mechanism is coherent.

I wrote:

For example I am celebate. If I were madly religious, then I, would of course, attribute my celebacy to my religion.

If I were to fly over to a third world country to support the Red Cross, and I was religious, I would attribute the actions to my religion etc.....

If I really hated somebody because I think they stole my land and I bombed them, and I was religious, I would attribute it to my religion.

In none of those cases was religion required, and yet I still attributed them all to my religion.  The question is:

Is my desire to be celebate/help others/bomb the people who stole my land etc...  in of itself adequate for me to complete the action?

You would need a mechanism to distinguish between that too.

Quote:

Where did you study psychology, and how in the world are you able to apply such a broad brushstroke to all human action?

I took several psychology courses and read several psyc texts.

Can you list three basic ways to reduce cognitive dissonance?

[Edit]

Could this also be projection perhaps?

[/Edit]