Freud on Gods and Religion

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
Freud on Gods and Religion

For any of you that might be interested in what Freud had to say about the arrival of gods and religion, he wrote a book entitled "Totem and Taboo" There are only a few terms he uses in te book that you might be unfamiliar with, but which can be looked up on the Net. It's a fascinating book, if you have an interest in Freud as well. Unrelated to that book, but I think it was the most interesting book I read while I was in college was Carl Jung's autobiography entitled "Memories, Dreams, and Reflections". It's a quick read, and although I'm no Jungian, I enjoyed reading it immensely, and recommend it as another fascinating (and non-technical) book.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:For any of you

treat2 wrote:
For any of you that might be interested in what Freud had to say about the arrival of gods and religion, he wrote a book entitled "Totem and Taboo" There are only a few terms he uses in te book that you might be unfamiliar with, but which can be looked up on the Net. It's a fascinating book, if you have an interest in Freud as well. Unrelated to that book, but I think it was the most interesting book I read while I was in college was Carl Jung's autobiography entitled "Memories, Dreams, and Reflections". It's a quick read, and although I'm no Jungian, I enjoyed reading it immensely, and recommend it as another fascinating (and non-technical) book.

It remindes me of a Benny Hill joke where he walks by a brick wall and we see spray painted, "God is dead, Fred". Then he walks further and we see, "Fred is dead, God".  I disagree with the message, but the apreciation of a sight gag is not lost on me. I LOVED BENNY HILL!

EDIT: I got Frued mixed up with Fredrick Nitchie(SP).

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog