Drag me to hell

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Drag me to hell

This is worth seeing. It is genuinely innovative. It will be imitated.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Saw it today. It's a

Saw it today.

It's a diversion, but nothing special at all.

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
 sounds like a description

sounds like a description for going to the movies in general around here.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Let me guess... lots of

Let me guess... lots of scary images, relatively typical horror plot with a ticking clock or other pressure cooker, and no gratuitous boobs.

I've been so disillusioned with movies lately.  

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
A scary movie I saw recently

A scary movie I saw recently which I actually thought was pretty innovative was Behind The Mask: Rise of Leslie Vernon.

As to Drag Me To Hell, isn't that one made by the guys who did the Evil Dead movies? Not exactly "legitimate" film makers, imo.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:A scary

marcusfish wrote:

A scary movie I saw recently which I actually thought was pretty innovative was Behind The Mask: Rise of Leslie Vernon.

As to Drag Me To Hell, isn't that one made by the guys who did the Evil Dead movies? Not exactly "legitimate" film makers, imo.

Oh, come the fuck on.  Those are great!  

I plan on seeing Drag Me just as soon as I get a free afternoon.  Sam Raimi is like Hitchcock with fake blood and latex monsters.  It's fluff but it's tremendously entertaining.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I watched it. It was

I watched it. It was entertaining. Yeah, if you enjoyed the Evil Dead movies, you'll like this one too.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Let me

Hambydammit wrote:

Let me guess... lots of scary images, relatively typical horror plot with a ticking clock or other pressure cooker, and no gratuitous boobs.

Hambi, it is true that there is nothing new under the sun. Just like the ancients writing about their god(s) the motif remains the same no matter how you repackage it. "Good vs Evil" "Hero saves the day".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:A scary

marcusfish wrote:

You don't think Sam Raimi is a legitimate producer/director even after 3 Spiderman movies, Spygame, Innocent Blood, The Quick and the Dead, 6 years of Xena, and 7 years of Hercules to mention a few?

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Hambydammit wrote:

No spoilers.

No contrived suspense. Medieval imagery like old women and a goat are used. None of that "snot" that substitutes nausea for horror. No gore per se -- not sure what it was supposed to be. One use of blood but not pouring from severed limbs. There are no sudden loud noises so there are  no startles in place of genuine surprise with the plot elements.

As to imitated, many years ago Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) made Dead Alive with became the definition of snot, blood and inner organs all over. Ever since damn near every "horror" movie has had those features. Phantoms was one of the few exceptions. Of course Phantoms has a non-horror resolution after using more traditional horror genre exposition of the siguation. (Also Rose McGowan but that is another matter.)

This has genuinely innovative elements which will be copied. Expect goats to figure in future horror movies. Other features will be copied but no spoilers here.

If there is any movie it is like, it is Night of the Demon, a 40s or 50s Brit horror movie that was quite effective and a departure from the Frankenstein, Dracula, Mummy, Wolfman version of the genre at the time.

As for actually being scary, we grew up. But there is a matter of a well told story with traditional elements. This is one of them. Of course the test is in the second viewing to see if it holds up or it was only the surprise element.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very well done movie.  I

Very well done movie.  I was expecting that it would come off like the evil dead movies but was quite surprised.  Where Evil Dead was intentionally a schlock fest, this was a legitimate horror film in the vein of Stephen King or John Carpenter.

I think that it will mostly hold up for a second viewing but there were one or two elements of note that worked very well the first time around but will not the second.  Not wanting to drop spoilers but who the fuck keeps an anvil hanging from a rope in the tool shed like that?  And does anyone really keep ice skates that sharp?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Not wanting to drop spoilers but who the fuck keeps an anvil hanging from a rope in the tool shed like that?

Lol, yeah, there just happened to be an anvil there.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

I think that it will mostly hold up for a second viewing but there were one or two elements of note that worked very well the first time around but will not the second.  Not wanting to drop spoilers but who the fuck keeps an anvil hanging from a rope in the tool shed like that?  And does anyone really keep ice skates that sharp?

All true but the movie does not depend upon either of them or the handy chainsaw. They are scenes not plot devices. Actually they are not even scenes but events within scenes where the purpose of the scenes is simply that nothing works. The "however you spell it" cannot be stopped.

Of course whenever a guy is the target he has one or more 6 gauge shotguns and .50 cal Desert Eagles laying around for use in the third act.

Lets get this straight. The purpose is to scare the girl you took to the movie into grabbing you for safety. It is a good excuse for both of you. But here I am only discussing the quality of this contribution to the genre.

From my second viewing I still predict it will be imitated to death and it is only those who remember where these things were used first who will recognize the imitation. Consider a Sci-Fi channel version of it with a tame goat. I think just filming a domesticated goat in that behavior was a challenge but I am not W Bush and know nothing of pet goats. Not to detract from the horror of the W of course.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml