Uri Geller long ago at Stanford (trying to understand how fraud is done)

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Uri Geller long ago at Stanford (trying to understand how fraud is done)

(props to mr804 for this clip)

...Now, assuming that the narrator is giving us accurate information... how did Geller pull this off? To me, if I were judging the experiment, it would appear to be about as legitimate as it can get; double blind measures were used, the material was all provided by the lab (Geller could not use rigged props), Geller didn't have his own staff at his disposal...

Actually, this clip bothers me a lot. If a hack like Uri can screw with an experiment this well controlled (as he obviously did), what does that say about the quality of a lot of theoretical studies done at labs?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Let me first say that if Gellar is doing it (Sarah Michelle did even more) it has nothing to do with whether or not there is a god or any religion is worth a piss. Just a few years ago there were only four tastes until the paranormal/extrasensory umami/savory taste was identified.

Assuming that all the controls worked and no more were needed, I have no idea how it was done. Maybe people can do these sorts of things normally. How often have you ever tried? Never in my case. Interesting if we can but if this is all it is consider it useless save for entertainment.

Maybe Randi is right that researchers are not experienced with professional magicians but then I have not heard of Randi duplicating these.

I doubt there is a person alive who cannot recount some one time unexplainable experience or ability. I used to have frequent deja vu experiences. I did train myself to notice them and write them down. I have had what I wrote confirmed with later experience. I can give all kinds of not enough detail, close enough to feel the same, and whatever explanations as quickly as the next skeptic. I can say that if it is really seeing what will happen in the future it is never of any value whatsoever. It has never been lottery numbers. It has never been anything important. It has always been something otherwise mundane in the very definition of mundane.

I could say that one image of the future abolishes all of our ideas of linear time. Or I could say people really do re-experience or have flashbacks of their lives when dying and now is the flashback so there is nothing to explain. There are certainly other explanations

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:Let me

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Let me first say that if Gellar is doing it (Sarah Michelle did even more) it has nothing to do with whether or not there is a god or any religion is worth a piss. Just a few years ago there were only four tastes until the paranormal/extrasensory umami/savory taste was identified.

Assuming that all the controls worked and no more were needed, I have no idea how it was done. Maybe people can do these sorts of things normally. How often have you ever tried? Never in my case. Interesting if we can but if this is all it is consider it useless save for entertainment.

Maybe Randi is right that researchers are not experienced with professional magicians but then I have not heard of Randi duplicating these.

I doubt there is a person alive who cannot recount some one time unexplainable experience or ability. I used to have frequent deja vu experiences. I did train myself to notice them and write them down. I have had what I wrote confirmed with later experience. I can give all kinds of not enough detail, close enough to feel the same, and whatever explanations as quickly as the next skeptic. I can say that if it is really seeing what will happen in the future it is never of any value whatsoever. It has never been lottery numbers. It has never been anything important. It has always been something otherwise mundane in the very definition of mundane.

I could say that one image of the future abolishes all of our ideas of linear time. Or I could say people really do re-experience or have flashbacks of their lives when dying and now is the flashback so there is nothing to explain. There are certainly other explanations

Or you could simply be experiencing an illusion, as is the most likely explaination. I love how people tend to jump straight to paranormal conclusions whenever they are presented with something slightly out of the ordinary in their lives.

As for the "experiments," I am going to call bogus on the whole deal. Either Uri had an inside man, or the whole thing is rigged. The stuff Uri does nowadays is all showmanship, he does three tricks, and they've all been debunked. He does the "I will draw what you drew" simply by peeking nowadays (not sure how he does this in this film). He does the "I will bend a metal object" trick by first physically bending the object while nobody was watching, and then making it appear as if he were bending it with his mind when it was really bent all along. He does the "I will move a compass with my mind" trick with a concealed magnet taped to his hand. All of these tricks have been caught on camera and debunked by Randi, among others. If Uri could reproduce these experiments in a controlled laboratory again, then he would almost certainly win Randi's $1 million.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

theotherguy wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

I could say that one image of the future abolishes all of our ideas of linear time. Or I could say people really do re-experience or have flashbacks of their lives when dying and now is the flashback so there is nothing to explain. There are certainly other explanations.

Or you could simply be experiencing an illusion, as is the most likely explaination. I love how people tend to jump straight to paranormal conclusions whenever they are presented with something slightly out of the ordinary in their lives.

Learning to recognize and write down was an attempt to eliminate illusion, i.e. to have specifics for comparison. I am NOT saying deja vu as commonly expressed is real. I am simply saying it requires a more complex explanation than it is usually given. What I was doing differing from every other explanation was noticing the experience and documenting the "experience" that is described as the one that is remembered. Unfortunately I was only able to collect three tests. That was not enough to find anything consistent in them in order to develop an explanation.

Of course if I were jumping at an explanation I would say all of our, or at least my, ideas of reality are wrong. Then I could write a crackpot book and go on the lecture circuit and die of rubber chicken poisoning or some such. Or I can simply say that our minds are constantly inventing things as in dreaming and occassionally known things are put together in a credible way and because of that they occasionally rise to awareness. So in the future when something very similar does happen it is close enough to register as deja vu.

The only thing I can say to my own satisfaction is I have identified the been here before feeling is based upon an actual thought which did occur long before the deja vu feeling. It is a real memory of a previous snapshot idea that did occur before the event. This says nothing about it being remembered in enough unique detail to be what the popular conception of it is. All the other "explanations" of the phenomenon, such as "it is only close" still apply.

In any event all I did was perhaps mistakenly ramble on to illustrate my point that everyone has had some unusual experience.

theotherguy wrote:
As for the "experiments," I am going to call bogus on the whole deal. Either Uri had an inside man, or the whole thing is rigged. The stuff Uri does nowadays is all showmanship, he does three tricks, and they've all been debunked. He does the "I will draw what you drew" simply by peeking nowadays (not sure how he does this in this film). He does the "I will bend a metal object" trick by first physically bending the object while nobody was watching, and then making it appear as if he were bending it with his mind when it was really bent all along. He does the "I will move a compass with my mind" trick with a concealed magnet taped to his hand. All of these tricks have been caught on camera and debunked by Randi, among others. If Uri could reproduce these experiments in a controlled laboratory again, then he would almost certainly win Randi's $1 million.

As they are both entertainers in the same field I would not rule out collusion either. Publicity is the name of the game. Houdini continued after his stage routine went stale exposing mediums. As to the scientists and if we presume things really were as described we can take heart in noting in the clear statement in the voice over that it was not in controlled laboratory conditions.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml