Scared Shitless.

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Scared Shitless.

Whenever I think about death, I get very, very scared. My heart starts racing, and I don't fucking like it.

''Black Holes result from God dividing the universe by zero.''

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

SSBBJunky wrote:

Whenever I think about death, I get very, very scared. My heart starts racing, and I don't fucking like it.

Stop thinking about it.

Seriously, your reaction is not normal. For some reason you are reacting more like you are facing the real thing instead of just thinking about it. This is not normal. Someone or something has made a strange and clearly malicious impression on you about death.

Does anyone in your life fit this?

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is normal, or at least,

It is normal, or at least, it's natural; it's natural to fear death. It keeps us alive. Ha, we fear death so much that we invent silly superstitions to comfort ourselves. However, you already took the red pill, friend, and it may be too late to turn back.

Now, the only thing to do is to live your life as best as you can. And don't forget, we're here for ya. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
What about death scares you?

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

One day you won't exist. Neither will I. Or that person over there.

That is how life works. Smiling It's not bad. It's just nature.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:However,

butterbattle wrote:

However, you already took the red pill, friend, and it may be too late to turn back.

lol xD

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

One day you won't exist.

That part.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
SSBBJunky wrote:butterbattle

SSBBJunky wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

However, you already took the red pill, friend, and it may be too late to turn back.

lol xD

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

One day you won't exist.

That part.

Ya, the thought of not existing anymore does kinda suck. Especially if  you have a blast while alive Smiling

What better reason to live it up now? It won't matter once you are dead ~ you don't remember anything before life, do you?

Fear of death is darn normal. It can be harmful if you let that fear consume your life. If you are losing sleep and stressed out about dying I would suggest heading to a professional that can help you deal with that.

Take care!

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are all deaths equally

Are all deaths equally undesirable? What if you got sexed to death by cheerleaders?

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why doesn't going to sleep

Why doesn't going to sleep scare you? Since you shut down your consciousness as well.

Why not be cryogenically frozen, with instructions to unfreeze yourself only if science can stop the aging process?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Why doesn't going

EXC wrote:

Why doesn't going to sleep scare you? Since you shut down your consciousness as well.

Because I can empirically predict that I'll be back up in a few hours.

EXC wrote:

Why not be cryogenically frozen, with instructions to unfreeze yourself only if science can stop the aging process?

lol, who knows. I'm only 15, so science has plenty of time to advance.

peterweal
peterweal's picture
User is offlineOffline
"A coward dies a thousand

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a brave man only once."

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
To SSBBJunky & peterweal

Julius Caesar Act II, Scene II.

Cowards die many times before their deaths:

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,

it seems to me most strange that men should fear:

seeing that death, a necessary end,

Will come when it will come.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Stormwarden
Stormwarden's picture
User is offlineOffline
I completely understand. 6 months ago (at age 51) I was as

close to dying as I've ever experienced.

At full-head-on auto crash, at 61 MPH - me in my Ford Ranger (seat belt on), into a large Utility truck - I had one hand on the steering wheel, was reaching across the seat for a cigarette, and a rather large gust of wind blew me from the right lane into the shoulder, straight into the rear of a parked utility truck.  No drinking involved, just carelessness.

My leg broke into 3 pieces, right lung punctured and collasped, I had 19 different full breaks in the ribs.  The worst part is - I remember it vividly.  I would so much wish to be one of those people who, after an accident, can't remember much of it.  But for me, I remember it frame-by-frame, with the sounds (the loudest sound I've ever heard, bar none), smells of various burning fluids, the dual airbags slamming into me (and me slamming right through them into the approaching dashboard)....

Spent 31 days in Intensive Care.  After the first week, a blood clot went into my lungs - very bad.  Everyone around me looked at me as if that was it, the end.

I still have flashbacks (doc treating me for those, not helping much) - am having one now as I write this.

But, I hope it's good therapy.

SO I know what you mean, methinks.  I might write more about this experience  at some point.

(fyi, I yelled out ' this is not good' at the top of my lungs, no I didn't include god in any of my curses)...

Smiling

Awelton85
Superfan
Awelton85's picture
User is offlineOffline
I will paraphrase Mark Twain

I will paraphrase Mark Twain when I say, "I was dead for billions of years before I was born, I am not afraid to die." I quote this very loosely, as I have been drinking, but the idea is there. I don't fear death because I have been dead a lot longer than I have been alive. This may be too simple, but it's how I think of it.

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell

Stewie: Yay and God said to Abraham, "you will kill your son, Issak", and Abraham said, I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
SSBBJunky, Renee''s last

SSBBJunky, Renee''s last post offered sound advice, and I'd add to that...

Frequent thoughts of:

Morbidity, such as situations
preceding death, but not excluding such things as an obscession with various medical procedures that you fear, a recent death of person(s) you knew and often think about, nightmares, frequent conversations about ant of the above or below.

Frequent thoughts of suicide.

Loss of sleep, or frequent distraction from whatever you're doing, with thoughts of any of the above.

If "death" as mentioned in any of the above is not a subject that you frequently
think about, then I would suggest the only thing that everybody fears is a painful death, or a long drawn out painful life that preceeds death. If that is the case for you, to the exclusion of all of the above-mentioned tangents of "death", your thoughts are not unusual. As teenagers the IDEA of it is scary to anyone. THAT is entirely different than what I previously spoke about.

Again, as Renee said, and as I'm saying here... If these types of "death" thoughts are frequently in your mind, then you SHOULD seek out a personally recommended psychologist, ASAP. In that context, do NOT seek consolation or discussion of this personal matter on the web.

That is my best advice.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
You're afraid of death...

You're afraid of death... why?

Don't worry at your age you have 50 or more years to reconcile this problem and if it happens soon you won't be expecting it so no need to worry. Just live in perpetual arrogance (but not too arrogant that you take needless risks) that you're not going now but make sure you're mentally prepared for it when you're old.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:

Are all deaths equally undesirable? What if you got sexed to death by cheerleaders?

George Dubya Bush was a cheerleader. That is a fate worse  than death.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

peterweal wrote:

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a brave man only once."

And those are the best odds in town.

www.ussliberty.org

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

SSBBJunky wrote:
EXC wrote:
Because I can empirically predict that I'll be back up in a few hours.
You make predictions before you go to sleep? How very strange. What predictions do you make before you wake up that you will be able to return to your dreaming self?

www.ussliberty.org

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
"To die would be an awfully

"To die would be an awfully big adventure"

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Death is the only adventure

"Death is the only adventure that you have left!!"

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't fear death since

I don't fear death since I'll be dead. What I fear is the pain of dying. And at 57 years old I know that it's only about twenty-five  or so years away. I don't want to slowly deteriorate with alzheimers like my mom did. With any luck I'll die of a massive heart attack.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Amen to that. 'Cept I'd

Amen to that. 'Cept I'd rather go in my sleep. Maybe that's asking too much.

Although it never hurts to keep a good stock of something or other that will definitely do the job painlessly and peacefully, just in case...

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
In a similar vein to

In a similar vein to Awelton85, here's my take on it:

Remember how you felt in the many years before you were born? Well, that's what being dead will be like.

The manner of your passing may not be pleasant, but take heart in the fact that eventually your suffering will end and you won't be alive to have a memory of it.

Enjoy yourself in the mean time.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Contemplating death usually

Contemplating death usually scares me.
I've heard plenty of rational reasons not to fear death but I don't see them wiping away my primal instincts any time soon.
From my limited understanding of psychology, I think I'll only stop fearing death once I am resigned to it.
In the meantime, I have more lively things to think about.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll introduce you to my

I'll introduce you to my ex-wife...suddenly death won't seem like such a bad alternative...

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote:Contemplating

Strafio wrote:

Contemplating death usually scares me.
I've heard plenty of rational reasons not to fear death but I don't see them wiping away my primal instincts any time soon.
From my limited understanding of psychology, I think I'll only stop fearing death once I am resigned to it.
In the meantime, I have more lively things to think about.

I suspect you're not afraid of death, but are afraid of the manner in which it occurs.

Personally, my own beleif tells me that as long as euthenasia is illegal in the U.S. I should have my own provisions to facilitate a painless death. All of which assumes I would ever have the need, and opportunity to use such provisions.

Thandarr
User is offlineOffline
Reply to Gauche

That would suck . . . . less.

Thandarr

Thandarr
User is offlineOffline
Actually, I want to die

Actually, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Thandarr wrote:Actually, I

Thandarr wrote:

Actually, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

EDIT: Nvm me, Where did you hear that?

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Strafio wrote:
"Death is the only adventure that you have left!!"

Unlike most adventures it takes no particular talent or training. It is so easy essentially everyone appears to be able to do it. The best part is that it is free.

The objective is to check out owing a huge amount in taxes and stiffing the Gov.

www.ussliberty.org

cervello_marcio
Superfan
cervello_marcio's picture
User is offlineOffline
 "The universe is older

"The universe is older than a hundred million centuries. Within a comparable time the sun will swell to a red giant and engulf the earth...the present moves from the past to the future, like a tiny spotlight , inching its way along a gigantic ruler of time. Everything behind the spotlight is in darkness, the darkness of the dead past. Everything ahead of the spotlight is in the darkness of the unknown future. The odds of your century being the one in the spotlight are the same as the odds that a penny, tossed down at random, will land on a particular ant crawling somewhere along the road from New York to San Francisco. In other words, it is overwhelmingly probable that you are dead.

In spite of these odds, you will notice that you are, as a matter of fact, alive...

We have awoken after hundreds of millions of years asleep, defying astronomical odds...We, as individuals, are hugely blessed."

-Richard Dawkins, Unweaving the Rainbow

If you're ever feeling doubt, uncertainty, or fear, pick up a book. Everyone has had the same feelings, and luckily some of them are eloquent enough to make the rest of us feel better. Smiling

"Do not, as some ungracious pastors do, show me the steep and thorny way to heaven. Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine, himself the primrose path of dalliance treads. And recks not his own rede."

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fearing death

Fearing death is normal and reasonable.
Being aware of your mortality should help to keep you from being awarded one of those Darwin awards I've heard mentioned many times over the years.

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that when I am

I think that when I am approaching death, or if I am dianosed with some deadly disease I will go north into the mountains and get butt naked and make a spear and go pick a fight with a grizzly bear.

hopefully i am killed. I refuse to die in a bed

"Take all the heads of the people
and hang them up before the Lord
against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
If?

If I were given six months to live I would live with my mother in law,  it would be the longest six months ever.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Thandarr wrote:Actually, I

Thandarr wrote:

LMAO!