Morality and Free Will, a simple question

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Morality and Free Will, a simple question

Discuss amongst yourselves:

What connection, if any, does "free will" have to morality?

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:No, let me

Double Post

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:No, let me

BobSpence1 wrote:
No, let me be clearer. There are definitely systems where it is not even theoretically possible to predict the outcome after a finite time, they usually involve strong non-linear feedback, where the outcome of one process effects the inputs to that process in a non simple way. There are others where the precision with which we would have to know the initial state in order to predict the outcome with some given finite level of accuracy, increases exponentially over time. The trajectories of molecules in a gas would be one such example.

Couldn't you "predict" by working through the system before the systems works itself in reality?
(Not practical because reality runs faster than any computer, but you know what I'm saying.)
Or are you actually saying the output is has an element of randomness and is not determined by the input?

Talking of "prediction" seems to be causing me problems.
I'll try putting it another way.
You put an input (starting conditions) into these systems and they give an output (the proceeding chain of events)
Now, if I put in the same input a several times I have two possibilities:
1) I always get the same output. Always. No possibility of a differing one.
If so, I'd say that this system is determinate - given the system and input the output is determined.
2) If there is a possibility of different outputs from the same input, I'll call this system indeterminate.

I suspect that you are speaking of systems are "indeterminate" - type 2; but I just wanted to be sure that I'd understood you right.
I had heard that Quantumn Physics involves systems of that time, but I hadn't heard of any others.
(we agree that Chaotic systems don't count as type 2, right?
because they are ultimately determined by type 1 systems/equations and that "apparent randomness" is due to complexity rather than a genuine type 2 randomness?)

BobSpence1 wrote:
Physics is irrelevant to even 'formal' Psychology.

Strafio wrote:
That was me speaking from a bit of a philosophical perspective.
Because Biology has been found reducible into Chemistry and Chemistry into physics, Biological concepts can be considered to be physical ones in philosophy.

BobSpence1 wrote:
Biology is NOT 'reducible' to Chemistry. Biology captures concepts such as organism, life processes, ecology, etc, which are NOT describable by Chemistry. There is an area of overlap between the lower levels of description in biological processes and the complex forms of chemical reactions, which ties the two disciplines together to that inevitable and essential degree.

I didn't explain what I meant by "reducible".
Words like "Organism" and "Life Process" are defined in terms of biological concepts.
Their definition is made up of biological things and their behaviour.
In turn, these things and behaviour are defined by simpler concepts...
Breaking it down, you eventually get a construction made up of physical concepts.
That's what it means by "reducible".

It doesn't mean that a biologists problem is a physicists problem or anything silly like that.
The only significance is for topics like this one.
If the laws of physics are deterministic then any concepts that reduce into physical ones are deterministic.

BobSpence1 wrote:
Such misunderstandings displayed by people who haven't really followed the processes of science and don't really understand the way the different disciplines work and why there are such different areas of study, are why I have little patience with most philosophy. Philosophical discussion is a poor substitute for scientifically informed analysis, and seems to be more likely to lead to misunderstanding and false 'insights' by trying to squeeze a very complex science-based understanding of reality into some broad abstract theories and principles and archaic concepts.

While your rant seemed to be based on a misunderstanding of what philosophers mean by "Reducible" I can see where you're coming from and kind of agree with you.
I think that the most valuable thing I've learnt from my time studying philosophy is how to dismantle bad arguments.
Too many philosophical arguments use weird concepts, and the consequences of these arguments usually follow from such weird concepts being used in the first place.

While there's plenty of good work being done in philosophy as well, there doesn't seem to be an agreed standard to sort the worth from the waste.
I think too much emphasis on learning the issues themselves and not enough training spent on how to understand, tackle and debunk bad arguments.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote:BobSpence1

Strafio wrote:
BobSpence1 wrote:
No, let me be clearer. There are definitely systems where it is not even theoretically possible to predict the outcome after a finite time, they usually involve strong non-linear feedback, where the outcome of one process effects the inputs to that process in a non simple way. There are others where the precision with which we would have to know the initial state in order to predict the outcome with some given finite level of accuracy, increases exponentially over time. The trajectories of molecules in a gas would be one such example.

Couldn't you "predict" by working through the system before the systems works itself in reality? (Not practical because reality runs faster than any computer, but you know what I'm saying.) Or are you actually saying the output is has an element of randomness and is not determined by the input?

Not strictly 'random', but still absolutely impossible to predict, because that would require knowing the initial conditions with literally infinite precision. This is without invoking Quantum uncertainty, which would limit precision to the Planck scale, and introduce Heisenberg uncertainty, so would of course still be unpredictable.

The point is that strict cause-effect 'determinism' can still be unpredictable, even without explicitly having 'random' processes. The traditional assumptions about the implications of 'determinism' are simply naive and simplistic, ie 'philosophical'.

Quote:

Talking of "prediction" seems to be causing me problems. I'll try putting it another way. You put an input (starting conditions) into these systems and they give an output (the proceeding chain of events) Now, if I put in the same input a several times I have two possibilities: 1) I always get the same output. Always. No possibility of a differing one. If so, I'd say that this system is determinate - given the system and input the output is determined. 2) If there is a possibility of different outputs from the same input, I'll call this system indeterminate. I suspect that you are speaking of systems are "indeterminate" - type 2; but I just wanted to be sure that I'd understood you right. I had heard that Quantumn Physics involves systems of that time, but I hadn't heard of any others. (we agree that Chaotic systems don't count as type 2, right? because they are ultimately determined by type 1 systems/equations and that "apparent randomness" is due to complexity rather than a genuine type 2 randomness?)

BobSpence1 wrote:
Physics is irrelevant to even 'formal' Psychology.

Strafio wrote:
That was me speaking from a bit of a philosophical perspective. Because Biology has been found reducible into Chemistry and Chemistry into physics, Biological concepts can be considered to be physical ones in philosophy.

BobSpence1 wrote:
Biology is NOT 'reducible' to Chemistry. Biology captures concepts such as organism, life processes, ecology, etc, which are NOT describable by Chemistry. There is an area of overlap between the lower levels of description in biological processes and the complex forms of chemical reactions, which ties the two disciplines together to that inevitable and essential degree.

I didn't explain what I meant by "reducible". Words like "Organism" and "Life Process" are defined in terms of biological concepts. Their definition is made up of biological things and their behaviour. In turn, these things and behaviour are defined by simpler concepts... Breaking it down, you eventually get a construction made up of physical concepts.

Only when you are using 'physical' purely in the sense of not supernatural.

'Reducing' Biology to Physics seems to me like 'reducing' a written text to a collection of symbols, or a distribution of ink on paper.

I can 'reduce' a house to bricks and mortar, but I have definitely lost something in the process.

'Behaviour' is NOT defined by simpler concepts, it is defined by a structured argument which employs those simpler concepts. like a written word uses written characters, but it is defined by the pattern in which those individual characters are arranged. You could substitute different versions of those same characters, and have NO effect on the understanding of the word.

That pattern in the word, the particular selection of concepts and the structure in which those lower-level concepts are woven into the 'higher level' concept', are what makes it NOT 'reducible' to the lower level concepts.

Quote:

That's what it means by "reducible". It doesn't mean that a biologists problem is a physicists problem or anything silly like that. The only significance is for topics like this one. If the laws of physics are deterministic then any concepts that reduce into physical ones are deterministic.

Which doesn't mean they are predictable, even in theory.

I presume you mean that since since the objects biology studies are composed of elements (cells?) which are composed of molecules, which are composed of atoms, etc, which are ultimately following strict 'deterministic' laws (ignoring quantum effects for the moment), then the behavior of the 'higher level' entities is also ultimately 'deterministic'. OR a mix of determinism and randomness, if you allow for QM.  

'Composed of' captures the reality better than 'reducible to'.

The philosophical error is to assume that this makes that behavior predictable and somehow 'mechanical'. Which is simply incorrect.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
Such misunderstandings displayed by people who haven't really followed the processes of science and don't really understand the way the different disciplines work and why there are such different areas of study, are why I have little patience with most philosophy. Philosophical discussion is a poor substitute for scientifically informed analysis, and seems to be more likely to lead to misunderstanding and false 'insights' by trying to squeeze a very complex science-based understanding of reality into some broad abstract theories and principles and archaic concepts.

While your rant seemed to be based on a misunderstanding of what philosophers mean by "Reducible" I can see where you're coming from and kind of agree with you. I think that the most valuable thing I've learnt from my time studying philosophy is how to dismantle bad arguments. Too many philosophical arguments use weird concepts, and the consequences of these arguments usually follow from such weird concepts being used in the first place. While there's plenty of good work being done in philosophy as well, there doesn't seem to be an agreed standard to sort the worth from the waste. I think too much emphasis on learning the issues themselves and not enough training spent on how to understand, tackle and debunk bad arguments.

If philosophers mean something significantly different to the normal usage of the word 'reducible', then they should use something different.

Your apparent failure to grasp what I am saying here only supports my judgement of the value of philosophy.

Dismantling of bad arguments is mainly a matter of understanding Logic, which is an extremely valuable discipline in its own right, which of course originated as part of philosophy, just as did science.

But philosophy seems to be slow to recognize that really new insights into basic aspects of reality come from close and detailed study of the empirical world, which gives rise to concepts like chaos and unpredictable 'deterministic' processes, strange attractors, feedback systems, etc, which we have had to develop to understand the complexity of reality. Such need to explain the real world has lead us to develop mathematical tools to handle infinities and infinite sequences which were completely beyond the Greeks. What was 'Xeno's Paradox' is now comfortably handled by any mathematically literate high-school student.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Ctrl Y
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Discuss

Hambydammit wrote:

Discuss amongst yourselves:

What connection, if any, does "free will" have to morality?

The existence of free will is relevant to morality both directly and indirectly.

Directly, because a moral code is a set of principles intended to guide choices. If there is no free will, there is no choice, and no moral code is necessary.

Indirectly, because a moral code is a set of principles intended to guide choices. If we are not able to choose our principles, blind forces determine which moral code we practice. In that world, I cannot say that my moral code is right and yours wrong. I can only say that I find myself believing and practicing this, and you find yourself believing and practicing that.

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've always viewed free will

I've always viewed free will as our natural instinct to make a decision and morality as one of many governing forces developed by people to restrict free will for the good of the society. I think the closest we come to actually using free will is when we are fighting the construct of civilization. Meaning, a hermit separated from society living in the woods would exhibit free will. Over a period of time, his "morality" would slowly drift away. An example of this (and it's not the best example) would be the movie "Instinct" where Anthony Hopkins abandons human civilization and joins an ape family. His morality is still there because he's adopted a new family, but the morals are different than that of our own. Killing humans is no longer immoral but necessary for survival. Like I said, not the best example because he's not alone, but I think you get what I mean. If you study Ethics it covers how all civilizations have morality, but they're defined differently for each one. The need for us to get a long and prosper together is why morality has developed and why free will has died away.

Another example of utilizing free will would be breaking the law, which also goes against the construct of society. Any other decision you make I believe to be programmed into you by your experiences as a functioning member of a society. Now, people might try to argue against this by doing something random in protest, but you have to notice the reality that we all have very routine, if not identical existences. The small details differ, but for the most part we work, consume, rest, repeat. Even in the United States where you have the freedom to do as you wish, we all pretty much conform to what the rest of the populace is doing. If American Idol is on TV, a shit load of people are watching American Idol...It's kind of hard defending free will when most people are slaves to mediocrity.

Now that's my philisophical view of free will and morality. It definitely doesn't apply to all people but I think there's a connection. Scientifically, free will could just be viewed as a result of chemical reactions in the brain telling you to do something. Morality could be viewed as empathy + reasoning. Our compassion for another living creature being rationalized through our understanding of pain, history, personal experiences, etc.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ctrl Y wrote:Indirectly,

Ctrl Y wrote:

Indirectly, because a moral code is a set of principles intended to guide choices. If we are not able to choose our principles, blind forces determine which moral code we practice. In that world, I cannot say that my moral code is right and yours wrong. I can only say that I find myself believing and practicing this, and you find yourself believing and practicing that.

To primitive mankind, "blind forces" caused him to want to breath, eat, sleep, have sex, socialize, etc... Science now pretty well understands and explains these formerly "blind forces". That's why the concept of morality needs to be dumped as a superstitious invention of a pre-scientific era. Science can now explain what forces guides one's decisions. There are no "blind forces" anymore.

Also believing in something because you don't like the consequences of it not being true is very irrational. Should a person believe they are not going to die because the thought of one's own death makes them feel uncomfortable? You feel better in a world with absolute morality where you have free will. So this is what you have trained yourself to believe. This only demonstrates that we don't have free will and everyone is just out to feel good and avoid feeling bad.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Ctrl Y
Theist
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Ctrl Y

EXC wrote:

Ctrl Y wrote:

To primitive mankind, "blind forces" caused him to want to breath, eat, sleep, have sex, socialize, etc... Science now pretty well understands and explains these formerly "blind forces". That's why the concept of morality needs to be dumped as a superstitious invention of a pre-scientific era. Science can now explain what forces guides one's decisions. There are no "blind forces" anymore.

The purpose of ethics is not to explain what forces guide our decisions. The purpose of ethics is to tell us how to make decisions. This is as necessary now as it was in the distant past. You need a code of behavior to decide what goals to pursue. For example:

- Suppose you and a devout Christian are strongly attracted to one another. Should you marry her, given that you are an atheist? Why or why not? You would need to consider a number of other questions when making the decision, including: How will you handle conflicts with her and her family? How will the decision to marry her affect your self esteem, your intellectual integrity, and your overall happiness? How will you make sure that your children grow up with the right beliefs? Could you find anyone else that you are equally attracted to, if you decided not to marry her?

- Your parents want you to go into medicine, but you prefer painting. What should you do with your life? Why? Again, a lot of other questions come into focus when we try to answer this question: How would you handle your parents' disapproval if you went into painting? How would you handle your own regret if you went into medicine? How will you support yourself if your painting doesn't make you superrich right away?

I'm sure you could come up with some reasonable answers to these questions. My point here is that (a) many of the decisions you will make in your life require you to know what you want out of life, and what will help and hinder your attainment of it and (b) it is very difficult to figure out "a." Wouldn't it be great if the smartest people in history had created a generalized method of making decisions, one that took into account everything they knew about the world? Yes, it would. That's ethics.

Quote:
Also believing in something because you don't like the consequences of it not being true is very irrational. Should a person believe they are not going to die because the thought of one's own death makes them feel uncomfortable? You feel better in a world with absolute morality where you have free will. So this is what you have trained yourself to believe. This only demonstrates that we don't have free will and everyone is just out to feel good and avoid feeling bad.

If you had read a little more closely, you would have noticed that no part of my last post was meant as an argument for free will. The OP specifically asked about the relationship between free will and ethics, not about the existence of free will.

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

theotherguy wrote:

If no choices can be made, then there can be no good or bad choices.

That's not an argument, unless you're appealing to fear. 

There are no inherently good or bad choices. The whole concept is manmade.

That is an argument towards why free will is a necessary component of ethics and morality.

A lack of free will is a lack of choice. Ethics is the study of the morality of choices. Morality is the normative value of choices.

No choices means no normative value, hence no morality, hence no ethics.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
theotherguy wrote:A lack of

theotherguy wrote:
A lack of free will is a lack of choice.
But free will isn't real.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ctrl Y wrote:In that world,

Ctrl Y wrote:

In that world, I cannot say that my moral code is right and yours wrong. I can only say that I find myself believing and practicing this, and you find yourself believing and practicing that.

Why should I care what you believe or what your moral code is unless your actions harm me in some way? If I make a social contract with you and you violate the terms of this contract, I can say you must be punished for this. Morality needs to be dumped and social contracts developed that maximize everyone's opportunity to pursue their own happiness and pleasure. This is how things should work in a post-religious world.

Society needs to dump the concept of morality and spell out the terms of our social obligations and rights along with the rewards and punishments for behaviors. Morality is BS because everyone just makes up their own anyways and then lies about being holier than everyone else. Results are what matters.

A Theist or absolute morality is inferior because it's about pleasing Mr. Invisible or some mythical code of valor. It's not about producing results that work.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
theotherguy

theotherguy wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

theotherguy wrote:

If no choices can be made, then there can be no good or bad choices.

That's not an argument, unless you're appealing to fear. 

There are no inherently good or bad choices. The whole concept is manmade.

That is an argument towards why free will is a necessary component of ethics and morality.

A lack of free will is a lack of choice. Ethics is the study of the morality of choices. Morality is the normative value of choices.

No choices means no normative value, hence no morality, hence no ethics.

Serious choices are based on weighing the available options against each other, based on whatever criteria are most important to you in the context. These will include emotional state, relevant memories, desires, urges, beliefs, etc. All of these things are the result of previous experience and thoughts and reasoning stimulated by such experiences. None of this implies or requires 'free will'.

Choice is either based on such things or is meaningless, random, the equivalent of a coin toss.

It is the broken version of 'morality', based on religious concepts, which requires the equally broken concept of 'free will' which is the problem here.

Morality is based on a social consensus, informed by the classes of action which we find offensive, unpleasant, harmful, etc. Punishment for offenses against such standards can only be rationally justified if our choices are based on the things I listed, rather than coming completely 'out of the blue' - the memory of and expectation of possible punishment become part of the set of factors which determine our choices.

'Free will' is a lame attempt to justify biblical style punishment for 'sin' - since otherwise we could pass the blame back to the flawed 'design' of our own limited minds, which in turn makes the purported 'designer' the ultimate 'sinner'.

EDIT:

A good discussion on this topic on the most recent podcast from Point of Inquiry.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Serious

BobSpence1 wrote:

Serious choices are based on weighing the available options against each other, based on whatever criteria are most important to you in the context. These will include emotional state, relevant memories, desires, urges, beliefs, etc. All of these things are the result of previous experience and thoughts and reasoning stimulated by such experiences. None of this implies or requires 'free will'.

If you have no free will, then there is only one option for you to choose. I am not arguing for or against free will, but that it is necessary to make choices. My definition of free will, of course, is extremely loose. I think all animals and even some computer programs have free will.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Choice is either based on such things or is meaningless, random, the equivalent of a coin toss.

There are other methods of making a choice which have nothing to do with those prejudices that you listed,  or even chance, unless  reason is included in your "etc."

BobSpence1 wrote:

Morality is based on a social consensus, informed by the classes of action which we find offensive, unpleasant, harmful, etc. Punishment for offenses against such standards can only be rationally justified if our choices are based on the things I listed, rather than coming completely 'out of the blue' - the memory of and expectation of possible punishment become part of the set of factors which determine our choices.

Punishment for offenses against those standards can only be justified based on  "emotional state, relevant memories, desires, urges, beliefs, etc?" I say that the standards themselves must be justified by something other than "social consensus" or they are completely arbitrary and shouldn't be followed. Laws should be based on reason. They should be based on a reasoned ethical system. They should not be based on social custom or other arbitrary nonsense like emotional states and beliefs.

BobSpence1 wrote:

'Free will' is a lame attempt to justify biblical style punishment for 'sin' - since otherwise we could pass the blame back to the flawed 'design' of our own limited minds, which in turn makes the purported 'designer' the ultimate 'sinner'.

True perhaps in the context of theology--but not in the context of philosophy. Free will is necessary for any action to be evaluated on a normative basis. You must concede that a being has some control of its own actions and is responsible for making choice A over choice B before you can begin to make claims about that being having acted rightly in making choice A or choice B. If you cannot make claims of this nature, then you cannot have a moral system that is not unjust, arbitrary, and meaningless.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
theotherguy wrote:True

theotherguy wrote:

True perhaps in the context of theology--but not in the context of philosophy. Free will is necessary for any action to be evaluated on a normative basis.

Why do you need to evaluate any action? Science pretty much tells us that all animal nervous systems pursue pleasure and avoids pain. We just have a different stategies for pursing that based on our genetics, environment and understanding of the world. What is there to evaluate or make a 'moral' judgement about? There should only be the scientific study of how to pursue our pleasure.

Why do you think this is a good idea to pursue a field of study that is divorced from science? This kind of philosophy says their some magical entity inside the brain that is a kind of 'soul' that makes decisions. independent from the inputs.

theotherguy wrote:

You must concede that a being has some control of its own actions and is responsible for making choice A over choice B before you can begin to make claims about that being having acted rightly in making choice A or choice B. If you cannot make claims of this nature, then you cannot have a moral system that is not unjust, arbitrary, and meaningless.

You claim "some" computer programs have free will. How do I evaluate if a computer program has acted rightly or wrongly? The results.

How exactly do you decide that a computer program has free will or does not have it?

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Why do you need to

EXC wrote:

Why do you need to evaluate any action? Science pretty much tells us that all animal nervous systems pursue pleasure and avoids pain. We just have a different stategies for pursing that based on our genetics, environment and understanding of the world. What is there to evaluate or make a 'moral' judgement about? There should only be the scientific study of how to pursue our pleasure.

If we have no free will as you say, then we would be forced by reason to evaluate all actions as morally neutral. Again, I am not arguing for free will, but arguing that without free will there is no need for any moral system or normative evaluation, since all actions are evaluated in the same way.

When you say that there should be a scientific study of how to pursue pleasure and pain, you are making a normative statement. You are saying that it matters that we pursue pleasure, and that science should convene ways for us to pursue it. If we have no free will, and no quality of ethical judgement, then it wouldn't matter if we had pleasure or pain. It would make no difference, since no person, no scientist, and no follower of that study could do anything but what they were going to do anyway as automatons. So what difference does it make if an automaton of no will decides to give another pleasure and another pain? Does it make any difference if a hurricane on a desolate, lifeless world tosses about stones from their resting places? If we have no free will, we are no better than those stones, and our pain and pleasure no more important than that hurricane.

EXC wrote:

Why do you think this is a good idea to pursue a field of study that is divorced from science? This kind of philosophy says their some magical entity inside the brain that is a kind of 'soul' that makes decisions. independent from the inputs.

No, it doesn't.  But in any case it doesn't matter if the will is an emergent property of the brain or came about through more superstitious "magical" means. If the will is free, the logic of ethics apply to it, just as the logic of ontonology applies to all things which exist or can exist, or the logic of discrete mathematics applies to all things enumerable.

In any case, its a good idea because it allows us to reason about normative issues. It allows us to argue and debate about things which cannot be measured or experimented upon -- and come to an agreement based upon our reasoning.

If we cannot reason about normative issues -- ethics, aesthetics, metaphysics, etc. then we cannot convince anyone of anything of that nature without coercion (threats, fear, lies, etc.) or violence. We cannot stop someone from doing something we don't like by talking to them. We can't agree on compromises. We can't argue for the things we believe in and have value for.

Suppose a scientific discovery is made. One scientist says that discovery can lead to a technology which provides pleasure for group A at the expense of group B. Certainly group A would like the technology, but group B would not. How do we decide whether to develop the technology or not? We can't make that judgement without first deciding that the pleasure of group A is more, less, or equally important to the pain of group B.

EXC wrote:

You claim "some" computer programs have free will. How do I evaluate if a computer program has acted rightly or wrongly? The results.

How exactly do you decide that a computer program has free will or does not have it?

If a computer program can take one action at the expense of another, with the conceivable ability to take that other action rather than not (i.e. its ability to take such an action is not arbitrarily or fundamentally limited,) then it has a will. If it takes actions towards an internal goal with a model of its future environment in mind, and if its goal is not arbitrarily set, but can change then under my definition, its will is free. Many programs fit this definition.

To evaluate whether or not it has acted rightly, we must examine the nature of its will. We must examine whether it is capable of reasoning about the consequences of its actions upon other wills. We must examine whether it is capable of understanding what choices it can make and how to make them. If it meets these criteria, then we can apply any other rigorous ethical system to determine whether it has acted rightly or wrongly.

I may be wrong about computer programs having free will, but if they did have free will, evaluating their actions ethically would be no different from evaluating the actions of a human being or other rational creature.

So, in algorithmic form:

Entity X has performed action X'.

if (X has a will)

{

if( the will of X is free)

{   if(X is a rational being)

{

Apply ethical system to Y.

}

else Y is morally neutral.

}

}

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:If we have no free

Quote:
If we have no free will as you say, then we would be forced by reason to evaluate all actions as morally neutral.

You're begging the question.  That is, you're defining morality as being dependent on free will when the question is whether there is a connection between morality and free will.

To prove it to yourself, try to construct the proof:

P1: Free will does not exist.

?? 

C: All actions are morally neutral

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'm surprised the first

I'm surprised the first half of this discussion included no clarification of which version of free will was being referred to!

If it's the free will of theism, then I don't think it plays any role in morality, but if it's the free will of compatibilism (where free will means a non coerced choice) then I think it does, to some degree.

Theistic free will has no meaning whatsoever, because as Hume pointed out it leads to uncaused choices, which are not based on who we are, our characters, beliefs, desires, etc.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote: I'm surprised the

Quote:
 I'm surprised the first half of this discussion included no clarification of which version of free will was being referred to!

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to find the hidden question in the OP.  Thanks, Topher!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Eloise

EXC wrote:

Eloise wrote:

Supercomputers, calculators and rocks fail the first test applied in our psychological context. They do not, in any way which we readily understand, possess individual ability to act.

I don't see why an advanced chess or poker playing computer fails the test. All they do is "anticipate a future" before they make a move, and in fact they can now do it better and faster than humans. If they actually have to act, it's easy enough to hook a robotic arm to make them act. Once it programmed they can act on their own.

The first test is the individual ability to act, which a computer function, regardless of it's level of advancement, doesn't have in the terms with which we are familiar. THe fact is. another individual initiates the functions of a computer program in 'real time' not the computer itself. For a computer to be closer to the mark on this criteria requires that it, by some function, first, autonomously selects the program it will run, second, locates and taps an energy source for the purpose, again of it's own volition and then if a computer can do all this in order to initiate a program you could say it is potentially interesting in regards to its individual capacity to act. Since computers don't do this at present, they fail the original criteria.

EXC wrote:

And since a small cluster of nerve cells fails the test, but a larger brain passes. What is threshold point where an entity goes from no free will to free will?

This is a really good question, EXC. This is very close to one of the main reasons why I originally simplified the assumptions by which we were going to judge the capacity to act. It's possible, and even likely, the universe is a very dynamic and interdependent entity, that individual capacity to act with intent can be equally well defined just beyond this arbitrary limitations and coherently justify the consideration of a bundle of nerve cells as an individual, in no less a sense than humans are.

In most discourse, the parsing of concepts is unconsciously done by fitting to a framework that reflects the psychological scope of the listener. That is, it can be said we translate everything anthropocentrically. This works really well when what we are translating is the experience of another arthropod, but in the case that we are trying to determine if rocks have free will or not the limits of our psychological parameters are exposed and we need to acknowledge them because they are the threshold. They are the point at which an entities existence goes from a state which we can readily understand and judge to one that is fundamentally alien to our senses.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:The first test

Eloise wrote:

The first test is the individual ability to act, which a computer function, regardless of it's level of advancement, doesn't have in the terms with which we are familiar. THe fact is. another individual initiates the functions of a computer program in 'real time' not the computer itself. For a computer to be closer to the mark on this criteria requires that it, by some function, first, autonomously selects the program it will run,

How did you " autonomously select the program" you are running? Didn't it start with your parents? So by this standard, your free will then is not your own but your parents.

Also, it's easy enough to program a computer to have it randomly select which program to run. The chess playing programs do not respond the same way every time because they use random number generators.

Eloise wrote:

second, locates and taps an energy source for the purpose, again of it's own volition and then if a computer can do all this in order to initiate a program you could say it is potentially interesting in regards to its individual capacity to act. Since computers don't do this at present, they fail the original criteria.

So all a robot has to do to be considered free will,  is detect when it's batteries are low, then return to a recharging station until they are fully recharged? I think they already do this and it's not that complicated. Here's an example:

http://robotics.usc.edu/~boyoon/docking.html

Eloise wrote:

In most discourse, the parsing of concepts is unconsciously done by fitting to a framework that reflects the psychological scope of the listener. That is, it can be said we translate everything anthropocentrically. This works really well when what we are translating is the experience of another arthropod, but in the case that we are trying to determine if rocks have free will or not the limits of our psychological parameters are exposed and we need to acknowledge them because they are the threshold. They are the point at which an entities existence goes from a state which we can readily understand and judge to one that is fundamentally alien to our senses.

So are you saying that 'free will' can't be defined and quantified?

So free will is a perception of the mind? Which kind would lead on to believe that it's an illusion.

The fact is there is no computing process that could not be emulated on the simplest of pocket calculators. So having a parallel processing brain does not change what or how information can be processed, it only speeds things up.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Advanced computer software

Advanced computer software goes way beyond simple responses to human input. Even without considering genetic algorithms, they are programmed with a basic set of tools of analysis, and guidelines on how to apply them to a task, including criteria for assessing the effectiveness of each tool to the data being analysed, or the design task specified, and invoke different algorithms if they seem to work better.

It is much more analogous to asking a human expert to address some technical problem which they have appropriate training and/or experience in.

Then if you use genetic programming, you are likely to get genuinely original results.

There are even promising results from programs designed to come up with original theorems in math.

It is becoming progressively harder to distinguish clearly between the decision-making of such software and that of the human mind.

'Morality' just introduces another category of criteria to evaluate the options for action. 'Free will' is only meaningful in this context as implying freedom from coercion by others.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Eloise wrote:The

EXC wrote:

Eloise wrote:

The first test is the individual ability to act, which a computer function, regardless of it's level of advancement, doesn't have in the terms with which we are familiar. THe fact is. another individual initiates the functions of a computer program in 'real time' not the computer itself. For a computer to be closer to the mark on this criteria requires that it, by some function, first, autonomously selects the program it will run,

How did you " autonomously select the program" you are running? Didn't it start with your parents?

No, but you're right, I have autonomously selected the program I am running only in the terms of a certain scope, or framework which extends coherently from the premises advanced, ie my individuality and humanity. My being defined as a human individual already precludes the choices of my parents.

EXC wrote:

So by this standard, your free will then is not your own but your parents.

No, that's not the same standard. I'm try to define a separation between a computer program which is created with real time autonomy to initiate an individual action and one with choice over the facets of an action initiated under another individuals autonomy. Between a computer that plays chess and one that chose to play chess, sought out an opponent then set itself on the path of initiating a game.  One is more interesting in its potential as a willing individual (on our psychological terms) than the other.

EXC wrote:

Also, it's easy enough to program a computer to have it randomly select which program to run.

I know this. But I have given you two qualifications for free will, recall, this only satisfies one of them and virtually rules out the other one.

EXC wrote:

Eloise wrote:

second, locates and taps an energy source for the purpose, again of it's own volition and then if a computer can do all this in order to initiate a program you could say it is potentially interesting in regards to its individual capacity to act. Since computers don't do this at present, they fail the original criteria.

So all a robot has to do to be considered free will,  is detect when it's batteries are low, then return to a recharging station until they are fully recharged?

If it simply does this it is interesting in its potential for having individual capacity to act, as I said.

However, if it does this in anticipation of some future event that it chooses to initiate then it becomes interesting in its potential for free will and by the criteria I have set we can no longer rule it out, sure.

EXC wrote:

I think they already do this and it's not that complicated.

Well it doesn't have to be complicated. Right?

Quote:

Eloise wrote:

So are you saying that 'free will' can't be defined and quantified?

Not at all. Even if we just consider free will an illusion, it's still an interesting effect occuring within the human experience. Defining and quantifying it is a given, it's a something, albeit that it might not be the same something we long assumed it was.

Quote:

The fact is there is no computing process that could not be emulated on the simplest of pocket calculators.

That's not strictly true there are physical processes that a binary system cannot emulate. But if it were then of course calculators become phenomenally more interesting, don't they. Sticking out tongue

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:No, that's not

Eloise wrote:

No, that's not the same standard. I'm try to define a separation between a computer program which is created with real time autonomy to initiate an individual action and one with choice over the facets of an action initiated under another individuals autonomy. Between a computer that plays chess and one that chose to play chess, sought out an opponent then set itself on the path of initiating a game.  One is more interesting in its potential as a willing individual (on our psychological terms) than the other.

So if my chess playing program randomly and/or on a regular schedule pops up and asks me if I want to play, then it has free will? So just write a simple little progam to popup and ask the question.

Eloise wrote:

However, if it does this in anticipation of some future event that it chooses to initiate then it becomes interesting in its potential for free will and by the criteria I have set we can no longer rule it out, sure.

So when a lawn mowing robot 'decides' that it is scheduled to cut the grass and 'chooses' to do so, if it checks it's batteries first and recharges if necessary. Then it has free will, if it does not check it's batteries it does not have free will?

Eloise wrote:

Well it doesn't have to be complicated. Right?

It just seems like an arbitrary requirement that a robot should need to check it's batteries and recharge if necessary before performing a task to be free will vs. non free will.

Eloise wrote:

Not at all. Even if we just consider free will an illusion, it's still an interesting effect occuring within the human experience. Defining and quantifying it is a given, it's a something, albeit that it might not be the same something we long assumed it was.

But if it's an illusion, our societies current understand of morality is also wrong. This should completely transform our thinking about the human condition.

Eloise wrote:

That's not strictly true there are physical processes that a binary system cannot emulate. But if it were then of course calculators become phenomenally more interesting, don't they. :P 

Name one. Everything can be emulated from simple logic/arithmetic operations.

A big part of the illusion of free will is that the processing takes place very rapidly. As a computer programmer you see all the little steps of simple logic operations. So when a robot does a task, the programmer would just say it's doing what I programmed it to do. To another oberserver witnessing the tons of rapid decision make, it would seem the robot acted autonomously.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Punishment for moral

Punishment for moral infractions makes at least as much, arguably much more, sense if our choices are totally determined by our experience, etc than if there is some significant 'non-determined' component. IOW it is more likely to be effective in discouraging 'bad' actions.

'Philosophical' free will is an ultimately empty concept, like much in philosophy. It does not deserve to be elevated beyond the ordinary intuitive understanding of 'non-coerced choice'.

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Quote:If

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
If we have no free will as you say, then we would be forced by reason to evaluate all actions as morally neutral.

You're begging the question.  That is, you're defining morality as being dependent on free will when the question is whether there is a connection between morality and free will.

To prove it to yourself, try to construct the proof:

P1: Free will does not exist.

?? 

C: All actions are morally neutral

P1. Free will does not exist.

P2. Agents which have no free will cannot make choices out of their own wills.

P3. From P1 and P2, no agent can make choices out of its own will.

P4*. No action can be said to be good or evil  if not impelled by a good or evil will.  Also, no agent can said to be good or evil if it does not perform good or evil  actions.

P5. It follows from P3 that no agent can perform an action impelled by a good will, since its actions are not impelled by will.

P6. It follows from P4 and P5 that no agent can do good actions, and therefore no agent is good or evil.

C1. All actions are morally neutral.

C2. All agents are morally neutral.

EDIT: Sub-proof for P4*.

P1. All actions are either good, evil, or morally neutral (neither good nor evil). *note if good and evil do not exist all actions are morally neutral*

P2. An action may be impelled by a will (as an intended consequence), or not impelled by will (as an unintended consequence).

P3. The only thing that can be inherently good is a good will. "Good" is meaningless when applied to events where there is no will. The same holds true for evil.

P4. From P3, all non-impelled actions are neither good nor evil, but morally neutral.

P5. An agent is good if it has a good will, and evil if it has a an evil will.

SinisterDan
SinisterDan's picture
User is offlineOffline
New guy...be gentle

First post; go easy on me.

If we don't have free will (and I'm undecided on this...har, har) then it doesn't matter and we're just fooling ourselves since the illusion of free will is so persistent. If we do have it, there is no demonstrable causal mechanism between the exercise of free will and the way in which an individual exercises it to create a decision.

Even if free will is real, persistent and universal that does not mean that any general applications of it have a rule set that influences outcome of a cognitive process. Free will does not define cognitive content but only a single cognitive capacity; so an uninformed free will is going to make uninformed choices. Should free will exist it would only enable us to genuinely choose between options presented to us and then would be further limited by socialization, indoctrination, cultural bias and personal preference.

I cannot see a reasonable argument for free will then causing us to conclude to a certain thing and definitely nothing as specific as building a moral worldview that is independently consistent with the same conclusions of others.

So I'd say it plays no real role other than being the means by which a person deliberates on what they perceive to be moral choices.

If there is any verifiable basis for morality (and I'm not convinced that there is) then it would only be the very basic rules that we formed early on not because they were 'good' but because they were mutually advantageous and thus open to collective agreement.

Other than that morality is just preference

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
SinisterDan

You've been a member here has long as I have what took you so long to make a post?  And keep up the posting btw.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

SinisterDan
SinisterDan's picture
User is offlineOffline
1. I am lazy.2. I will -

1. I am lazy.

2. I will - thank you.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Technically, niether exists.

Technically, niether exists.  Practically, both exist and we should use both rigorously.

Bob And Strafio had a debate about this, but you can boil the whole thing down to:  Even if, theoretically, you can take the concept of free will and morality down to a physical, determinist level, in practicality it is futile because it is not possible to predict or quantify a system so complex without omniscience.  Thus we are left with nothing but "crude" models like psychology to predict and shape human behavior, and those crude models rely, by necessity, on concepts like free will and morality.  Trying to reduce it further, while possibly intellectually stimulating, is nothing but impotent navel gazing. 

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Technically,

mellestad wrote:

Technically, niether exists.  Practically, both exist and we should use both rigorously.

Bob And Strafio had a debate about this, but you can boil the whole thing down to:  Even if, theoretically, you can take the concept of free will and morality down to a physical, determinist level, in practicality it is futile because it is not possible to predict or quantify a system so complex without omniscience.  Thus we are left with nothing but "crude" models like psychology to predict and shape human behavior, and those crude models rely, by necessity, on concepts like free will and morality.  Trying to reduce it further, while possibly intellectually stimulating, is nothing but impotent navel gazing. 

Psychology in no way relies on "concepts like free will and morality". It studies the way people think, in terms of those and all the other concepts, memes, whatever, existing within their mind. IOW, those concepts and how people form and apply them are part of what psychology, cognitive science, etc, investigate.

I don't see in what sense scientific studies of the mind rely on them. 'Will', in the sense of intention, is one of the important parameters of the mind when studying it in the framework of psychology. 'Free' is not a useful qualifier in this sense, except as a description of a subjective feeling when the individual makes a choice, the feeling of not being coerced by another person or some sort of influence outside their consciousness.

'Morality' is another area that is studied, not a primary starting point, except as the label on a particular category of thought processes and memes.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:mellestad

BobSpence1 wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Psychology in no way relies on "concepts like free will and morality". It studies the way people think, in terms of those and all the other concepts, memes, whatever, existing within their mind. IOW, those concepts and how people form and apply them are part of what psychology, cognitive science, etc, investigate.

I don't see in what sense scientific studies of the mind rely on them. 'Will', in the sense of intention, is one of the important parameters of the mind when studying it in the framework of psychology. 'Free' is not a useful qualifier in this sense, except as a description of a subjective feeling when the individual makes a choice, the feeling of not being coerced by another person or some sort of influence outside their consciousness.

'Morality' is another area that is studied, not a primary starting point, except as the label on a particular category of thought processes and memes.

Ok, so I admit I don't know anything about psychology or the terminology.  I imagine you know what I meant though, so does my point make sense, or do I need to re-phrase?  I'll give it a shot, just in case.

Even if, theoretically, you can take the concept of free will and morality down to a physical, determinist level, in practicality it is futile because it is not possible to predict or quantify a system so complex without omniscience.

At some point when studying humans you have to start studying results and using models, instead of digging into physical causes because it can become impractical or impossible.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:BobSpence1

mellestad wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Ok, so I admit I don't know anything about psychology or the terminology.  I imagine you know what I meant though, so does my point make sense, or do I need to re-phrase?  I'll give it a shot, just in case.

Even if, theoretically, you can take the concept of free will and morality down to a physical, determinist level, in practicality it is futile because it is not possible to predict or quantify a system so complex without omniscience.

At some point when studying humans you have to start studying results and using models, instead of digging into physical causes because it can become impractical or impossible.

Actually , if you put that way, I think I agree with you.

Even leaving out the unpredictability at the fundamental level due to Quantum effects, the number of events and environmental states contributing to your ultimate decision is so incredibly large, and the pattern in which "chains of causation" can branch and join and loop back on themselves is so complex and messy that there it is in practical terms unpredictable at any useful level of detail. It would require a virtually infinite amount of knowledge of every detail of the initial state of the universe to predict the future state. If certain types of chaotic processes are involved at any point, then infinite precision would indeed be required, IOW it would be impossible, even if everything was strictly deterministic.Quantum Mechanics means that even finite precision below the Planck scale is impossible. So sure, the arguments about 'free will' vs. determinism are ultimately pointless, for this and other reasons. They are arguing about concepts which are abstractions which don't really 'work' in the real world.

Ctrl Y
Theist
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Ctrl Y wrote:In

EXC wrote:

Why should I care what you believe or what your moral code is unless your actions harm me in some way?

You should care about whether your code is defensible. Otherwise, you are living by randomly chosen rules which will probably lead you into misery.

Quote:
If I make a social contract with you and you violate the terms of this contract, I can say you must be punished for this. Morality needs to be dumped and social contracts developed that maximize everyone's opportunity to pursue their own happiness and pleasure. This is how things should work in a post-religious world.

What will tell them how to find their happiness and pleasure?

Quote:
Society needs to dump the concept of morality and spell out the terms of our social obligations and rights along with the rewards and punishments for behaviors. Morality is BS because everyone just makes up their own anyways and then lies about being holier than everyone else. Results are what matters.

What will tell them how to get results?

Quote:
A Theist or absolute morality is inferior because it's about pleasing Mr. Invisible or some mythical code of valor. It's not about producing results that work.

What about a secular, this-worldly morality?

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

The Bible teaches that the 'will' is not free at all.

The will is either in bondage to sin and thus you cannot please God in anything you do 'good' or bad. This is how the unbeliever is viewed by God.

OR

The will is in bondage to righteousness. This happens once God takes out the heart of stone we have by default and exchanges it for a heart of flesh. This is the state of the redeemed.

I think the moral implications are obvious. You are either a slave to sin or to righteousness.

Speaking Truth, in love.

Speaking Truth in love,

"We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ..." - Paul to the Corinthians
------
Christian | Amaterialist | Supernaturalist | Anti-Crypto-Theist
------
Facts do not speak for themselves.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why is it called free will then?

eXnihilO wrote:

The will is either in bondage to sin and thus you cannot please God in anything you do 'good' or bad. This is how the unbeliever is viewed by God.

OR

The will is in bondage to righteousness. This happens once God takes out the heart of stone we have by default and exchanges it for a heart of flesh. This is the state of the redeemed.

I think the moral implications are obvious. You are either a slave to sin or to righteousness.

Speaking Truth, in love.

What does this mean - "the will is in bondage to sin"? Are you saying there is actually no free will after all?

And does our current lack of free will date back to eve's curious parselmouth conversation in the botanic gardens?

P.S. As for this 'Speaking Truth, in love' thing, love is what you do not what you say. It would show love if you could stop with these gag-worthy little appendums. I taste bile.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline
bamf

“What does this mean - "the will is in bondage to sin"? Are you saying there is actually no free will after all?”

- Correct, the will of man is never free.

“And does our current lack of free will date back to eve's curious parselmouth conversation in the botanic gardens?“

- If by this you mean inherited by Adam and Eve, then yes.

“P.S. As for this 'Speaking Truth, in love' thing, love is what you do not what you say. It would show love if you could stop with these gag-worthy little appendums. I taste bile.”

- Truth is what I’m speaking, the love of you and the rest of the unbelievers is what propels me to continue. The person who loves you the most isn’t the one who always makes you feel good about yourself, it’s the one who tells you the most truth.

Speaking Truth in love,

"We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ..." - Paul to the Corinthians
------
------

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:The Bible

eXnihilO wrote:

OR

Speaking Truth, in love.

But the Bible is just the work of man, so it doesn't have to taken seriously. We have progressed way past the primitive ideas of 'morality' contained therein.

We don't keep slaves, most of us don't accept torture, and women are no longer regarded as little more than property.

Such words are as the prattling of frightened children to mature adults....

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline
bamf

BobSpence1 wrote:

But the Bible is just the work of man, so it doesn't have to taken seriously...

O darn, I guess I'll have to abandon my philosophical outpost now and readily accept yours.

Just kidding Smiling

I'll take God's Word over yours though in all seriousness. It is the Word of God after all. It does give us an objective standard of morality which is not afforded by your worldview.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is an insufficient definition of love

eXnihilO wrote:

- Truth is what I’m speaking, the love of you and the rest of the unbelievers is what propels me to continue. The person who loves you the most isn’t the one who always makes you feel good about yourself, it’s the one who tells you the most truth.

Isn't what propels you actually the instruction to spread the word of god, rather than the fanciful love felt for faceless, invisible strangers?

And there are times when untruth is more loving that truth - "Does my arse look big in these crotchless brazilian camiknickers, dear" - being a solid point of the case.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:BobSpence1

eXnihilO wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

O darn, I guess I'll have to abandon my philosophical outpost now and readily accept yours.

Just kidding Smiling

I'll take God's Word over yours though in all seriousness. It is the Word of God after all. It does give us an objective standard of morality which is not afforded by your worldview.

But you don't have anyway to unambiguously establish that you actually have "God's word".

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ctrl Y wrote:You should care

Ctrl Y wrote:

You should care about whether your code is defensible. Otherwise, you are living by randomly chosen rules which will probably lead you into misery.

I'm choosing to live by the rules I believe will maximize my own pleasure and I don't answer to anyone. A theist decides to please Mr. Invisible so he will do nice things for you and give you heaven. How is that anything but what's in it for me hedonism?

The difference is my pursuit of happiness is based in reality and empirical evidence, yours is based on wishful thinking. So I think I got better odds.

Ctrl Y wrote:

What will tell them how to find their happiness and pleasure?

You decide for yourself. People choose their religion because it feels right or it doesn't, not on an evidence. How am I any different?

Ctrl Y wrote:

What will tell them how to get results?

Quote:

The Nucleus Accumbens and other structures of their own brain's limbic system.

Ctrl Y wrote:

What about a secular, this-worldly morality?

Religion is of this world as well.

All we know is this world, so how can we base what one decide on anything else unless one enjoys living life in a state of delusion? I don't.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline

eXnihilO wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Just kidding Smiling

I think you should listen to Vishnu instead.  How can nearly a billion people be wrong?  Oh, right, because the Bible says so.  And how do we know the Bible is correct?  Oh right, because the Bible says it is Smiling

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Hey

@Atheistextremist

I’d have to dislike you quite a bit not to at least try to help you on the way to salvation. Call it a healthy mix of both.

By the way, I missed your comment title the last time.

The reason some Christians refer to a notion of ‘free will’ is a mystery to me at times. We have a will of course, but it’s never ‘free.’

@BobSpence1

Of course I do. Whether you accept it or not is your prerogative though. I don’t think it could be any clearer than the Word of God is the Word of God, therefore it carries the supreme authority for understanding reality and truth.

@mellestad

“Oh, right, because the Bible says so.  And how do we know the Bible is correct?  Oh right, because the Bible says it is”

I would challenge you to apply the same criticism to your own worldview…

You accept logic because the laws of logic are logical, and that is also circular… What’s the difference?

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:“Oh,

eXnihilO wrote:

“Oh, right, because the Bible says so.  And how do we know the Bible is correct?  Oh right, because the Bible says it is”

You accept logic because the laws of logic are logical, and that is also circular… What’s the difference?

A proven track record of results that manifest in reality.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

There is no 'proof' outside of logic for us humans...

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

eXnihilO wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

But you don't have anyway to unambiguously establish that you actually have "God's word".

Of course I do. Whether you accept it or not is your prerogative though. I don’t think it could be any clearer than the Word of God is the Word of God, therefore it carries the supreme authority for understanding reality and truth.

So, as per the underlined  words, you have no actual justification for your belief, if that is your only answer. 

Quote:

@mellestad

Logic is not derived in a circular way, the fundamental axioms follow from extremely basic observation of the nature of reality: first that there appear to distinguishable separate parts of reality, leading to the Law of Identity ( A = A), and that each such identifiable 'chunk' of reality implies that there is that chunk A, and the rest of reality, which is (not A), and that those two sets do not overlap, ie the Law of Non-contradiction ( A ~= ~A ... A is not equal to not A )

No circularity, just the reasonable assumption that we do not live in a universe in which there is nothing but a featureless uniform 'fog' . 

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

Bob,

The Word of God is axiomatic in everything it states including the very statement that establishes it as the Word of God. God is truth; therefore all of His explanations of reality are axioms. Being the Word of God the Bible carries with it supreme authority...

This is circular, but not false.

Answer me this:

Can logic be independently verified?

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:Bob,The Word

eXnihilO wrote:

Bob,

The Word of God is axiomatic in everything it states including the very statement that establishes it as the Word of God. God is truth; therefore all of His explanations of reality are axioms. Being the Word of God the Bible carries with it supreme authority...

This is circular, but not false.

Answer me this:

Can logic be independently verified?

Your assertion is circular and totally devoid of meaning. It gives your belief no better justification than any other with a holy book. 

I have already explained that Logic is based on observations/assumptions about the nature of reality that are so truly self-evident that to deny them is to deny the possibility of any coherent discourse on anything.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

BobSpence1 wrote:

Your assertion is circular and totally devoid of meaning. It gives your belief no better justification than any other with a holy book. 

I have already explained that Logic is based on observations/assumptions about the nature of reality that are so truly self-evident that to deny them is to deny the possibility of any coherent discourse on anything.

You say that my assertion is circular, I grant you that with the recogniton that yours is as well.

You say 'and totally devoid of meaning.' To which I note you didn't even say 'thus, is devoid of meaning.' If that is what you meant to say, forgive my attack on semantics... Just because an assertion is circular does not make it false by necessity and my statement carries with it the very truth behind the existence of all things, thus you would be more accurate in saying that it is the pinnacle of meaning.

Simply because our conclusion would deny the possibility of any coherent discourse of anything does not make something self-evident.

Anything said to be self-evident is said to be axiomatic, or not susceptible of proof or disproof... If you want to say that this is what logic is for you then not only does it remain without external validity in your worldview, but your loyalty to logic is no different than my loyalty to the one true God of Creation and we can stop expecting each other to prove their presuppositions.

You are standing on a platform of logic being the supreme method of discovering truth.

I am standing on that same platform, but you would have me think that your platform holds itself up, whilst I tell you that the platform is held up for us both by God, and still yet you continue to use logic to fight against He who is holding you up...

You are fighting the fact that logic can validate logic, why?

At least I will submit to my axiom, oddly enough you don't pay your's the same respect.

You have admitted that it's not externally validated, yet you fear relying on circular reasoning... I think we both know why.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------