The Beatles

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Beatles

Excuse my ignorance, but were The Beatles real people? If so, when did they live? What century?

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
John Lennon didn't think so.

John Lennon didn't think so. He grew to hate "Beatle John" and thought he was a total imposter.

Are you asking the question in a metaphysical sense, as someone so immersed in conspiracy theories that they think the Abbey Road album cover when viewed upside down reveals an oncoming juggernaut, or as someone who - despite what their avatar might suggest - dropped out of a womb only in the last few days?

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yup. There's a good amount

Yup. There's a good amount of evidence for their existence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles Looks like 1960 to 1970.

Then they died and rose bodily into heaven. (Okay, I just made up that last part.)

-Triften

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
".... and so my dear

".... and so my dear friends, you'll just have to carry on."

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think the OP would be

I think the OP would be interested in purchasing this

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
If he's interested in a DVD

If he's interested in a DVD rewinder, next time he makes pizza he might need a dough patch repare kit.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Post #

This is my post #700, and it seems as appropriate a place to stick it as any other: and anyone reading this can stick it also.

If anyone is offended by this post it is perfectly OK with me.

Drink up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I imagine this poster must

I imagine this poster must be from some non-english language dominant country. I can't imagine anyone else not having heard of the Beatles.

My Brand New Blog - Jesu Ad Nauseum.
God of the Gaps: As knowledge approaches infinity, God approaches zero. It's introductory calculus.

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was told they used to sing

I was told they used to sing from the bottom of the sea in a yellow submarine!
But why yellow and why submarine?…

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Because of Lucy in the Sky

Because of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

Get it? 

What country are you currently located in? I know the Beatles were pretty big in Brazil- Caetano Veloso absolutely adored them, as did quite a few other expatriates who fled the junta in the 60s and 70s. I'm not sure what their standing is in other countries.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, Yellow Submarine

OK, Yellow Submarine was the title of a film they made towards the end of their time together. The premise being that their in-movie characters took a trip to a place called “Pepper Land” which was supposedly underwater. They did not really have a yellow submarine nor did they ever perform while underwater.

The thing about Lucy in the sky with diamonds is a backhanded reference to LSD. Except that John Lennon always denied the matter, citing a picture that his son had drawn in school as the inspiration for the song.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Except that John

Quote:
Except that John Lennon always denied the matter, citing a picture that his son had drawn in school as the inspiration for the song.

I actually would 'side' with Lennon here. The drug user 'hippie' image of John was largely fabricated by the right wing American media in order to paint him (and, by proxy, the entire anti-war movement) as fringe and radical. It would've been incredibly remarkable if Lennon had actually been such a die-hard drug user/trafficker and never actually been caught in possession of said narcotics given how closely scrutinized his life became and the volume of spying Hoover had done on him.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote:Excuse my

julio wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but were The Beatles real people? If so, when did they live? What century?

Is this a real question?

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
I heard people laughed a lot

I heard people laughed a lot looking at The Beatles playing and their long ears dangling all over their heads …?

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes indeed. Ringo "Lobes"

Yes indeed. Ringo "Ear Drummer" Starr had two particularly large specimens, as did George "Lobes" Harrison, who once famously lent his ears to Marlon Brando after a misunderstanding on the set of the film Julius Caesar.

Paul McCartney's were false (he'd lost his ears in a muff-diving accident in Bermuda), and John Lennon gave his Auditory Ossicles back to the queen with a message;

"Your Majesty,

I am returning my ossicles as a protest against Britain's involvement in the Nigeria-Biafra thing, against our support of America in Vietnam and against 'Cold Turkey' slipping down the charts. 

With Love, John Lennon of Bag"

The "fifth beatle" Billy Preston was the dangler of the bunch however (immortalised in Sergeant Pepper as "Billys Hears" ). Rumour has it that it was Preston's impressively large cochlea which prompted Monkees guitarist Mike Nesmith's mom to invent Tipp-Ex.

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL!! Brilliant! I loved

LOL!!
Brilliant! I loved it!
Also heard they sang "Yellow Submarine" from the bottom of the ocean…?
Interesting…!
And the Queen awarded them the Bravery Medal?...
Brave Queen!...

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, Yellow Submarine was

Yes, Yellow Submarine was recorded at a depth of 25 fathoms in an octopus's garden. Interestingly, some people claim that the part of the song when they sing "And our friends are all aboard, many more of them live next door", if played backways, sounds like "Rood txen evil meht fo erom ynam, fraoba lla era sdneirf ruo da!"

The submarine itself of course is a blatant reference to Paul's then growing dependency on mood-altering glass onions.

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL!! Fantastic! I also

LOL!!
Fantastic!
I also heard they were warned by a psychologist to change "He devil I devil" to
"obladi oblada"... not to offend churches or something...

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
That is also quite true. The

That is also quite true. The Churches in question were Joe and Nancy Church who lived in Swindon (their daughter Hazel Church was a "friend" of the group whose near total myopia meant that she was the band's first "gropie" ).

In Paul's original lyrics satan got several mentions. His lines "Desmond takes his trolley to the jeweller store, buys a twenty carat golden ring, takes it back to Molly waiting at her door, and as he gives it to her Beelzebub descends from the firmament and smotes mortal man with unending pangs of childbirth" were toned down under George Martin's production. They didn't scan anyway.

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
After ten years of 120db

After ten years of 120db NOISE level around their ears, did any of the four become deft?

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Submarines can indeed be

Submarines can indeed be very noisy machines.

Two of the band members suffer now from extreme chronic deafness, mainly due to them being dead.

Of the remaining mop-tops Paul has the best hearing - in fact he's so good at hearings now that he has attended at least three in the divorce court in recent times. Ringo, alas, is incurably tone-deaf. But then he always was.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: I

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I actually would 'side' with Lennon here. The drug user 'hippie' image of John was largely fabricated by the right wing American media in order to paint him (and, by proxy, the entire anti-war movement) as fringe and radical. It would've been incredibly remarkable if Lennon had actually been such a die-hard drug user/trafficker and never actually been caught in possession of said narcotics given how closely scrutinized his life became and the volume of spying Hoover had done on him.

i completely agree.  the US has always been insanely drug paranoid, but in the '60s and '70s it was the worst.  to top it all off, most musicians like the beatles, the stones, kiss, bob dylan, etc., were more than happy to let the public think what it wanted to think because it meant the public was thinking about THEM, which meant publicity.

it boggles my mind how many of these myths persist today.  like the incredibly elaborate drug dealer interpretation of "mr. tambourine man" that michelle pfeiffer gives in "dangerous minds."  i mean, who the fuck would have the time or the motivation to sit down and come up with an allegory like that?  especially a touring musician?  i mean, it's pretty well established he was under the influence while writing it, but hell, so are MOST songwriters when they write.  neil diamond was probably high as a kite when he wrote "i'm a believer."  does that make it about drugs?  wait a minute..."then i saw HER face"...obviously short for heroin.

anybody who hasn't seen the martin scorsese documentary "no direction home" about bob dylan, go check it out.  not only is it a fantastic film, joan baez does a hilarious impression of young dylan's reaction after she tried to interpret one of his songs.  it goes something like this: "hey, that's pretty fuckin' good.  i don't know why i write this shit, all these fuckin' assholes are gonna come say why i write this shit, but i don't know why i write it, i just write it.  i don't know where it comes from."

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

The thing about Lucy in the sky with diamonds is a backhanded reference to LSD. Except that John Lennon always denied the matter, citing a picture that his son had drawn in school as the inspiration for the song.

i think this is fairly conclusive:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/beatles/news/real-lucy-in-the-sky-with-diamonds-gravely-ill--61989942

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yah, I new about her a long

Yah, I new about her a long time ago. Even so, it is really sad to see that she is so sick.

As far as the Beatles being drug users, I really don't think that there is a huge unanswered question on that matter. They used drugs and quite heavily. The fact that they were not arrested by the FBI is not a huge deal as lots of people were using drugs at the time.

Sure, lots of crap got assigned to drug use and often inappropriately. Evidence “Puff the Magic Dragon”

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=