julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
So that's why I turned to

So that's why I turned to atheism - I started taking my meds.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religious people are

Religious people are cheaters.

They get their serotonin high through unnatural fantasies of the supernatural. Us atheists rely on only natural means to get our fix.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote: Religion is

Unfortunately, there is nowhere written what kind of spiritual experiences is caused by the serotonin. Do they mean something blissful and joyful? Or do they mean a deep state of solemn peace? Or the totally emotionally neutral states of enhanced consciousness? Or does it mean that the serotonin is a miraculous all-in-one explanation for everything?

By the way, how could I get my head scanned for the serotonin or whatever in the PET? I mean, safely and cheaply. I guess this is not a public service.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:julio wrote:

Luminon wrote:

Unfortunately, there is nowhere written what kind of spiritual experiences is caused by the serotonin. Do they mean something blissful and joyful? Or do they mean a deep state of solemn peace? Or the totally emotionally neutral states of enhanced consciousness? Or does it mean that the serotonin is a miraculous all-in-one explanation for everything?

By the way, how could I get my head scanned for the serotonin or whatever in the PET? I mean, safely and cheaply. I guess this is not a public service.

1. The questions asked on the questionnaire lead me to think that the study was looking for general supernatural/spiritual experiences. Not a good trip or a bad trip - just a trip.

2. The title of the thread is misleading. It's a lack of serotonin in the brain that leads one to be open to the spiritual. I'm not saying that taking a good SSRI would make you an atheist but my lack of belief increased when I got on my antidepressant.

3. You can only get the PET scan in a study or if you are referred by a doctor (at least in the US).

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
No wonder atheists eat too

No wonder atheists eat too much

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:No

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

No wonder atheists eat too much

No, that would be boredom brought on by reading arguments from theists who believe aggresion is a substitute for intellect. Smiling

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin