Atheists and their doubts

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheists and their doubts

When faced with their own mortality atheists doubt the strength of their own convictions. When it comes time for "lights out" the whole idea of death being equivalent to being not borne gets a worrisome. Why? Because there was no time before not being borne when we thought about not being borne.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:2. He thinks

jcgadfly wrote:
2. He thinks that not having a belief is really a belief.
His belief in that thing he didn't know about until I mentioned it just now proves that.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:JillSwift

OrdinaryClay wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

I note that you, again, ignored my question about theist doubts.

I didn't ignore it. I didn't answer it. I don't understand the relevancy to atheist doubts.

Another example of your inadequate reasoning skills - not seeing the relevance of very closely related topics to put your arguments in perspective and even help answer some of your questions is a serious deficiency.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:ClockCat

nigelTheBold wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

You may be under the illusion that your valid points mean anything to Paisley, er I mean OrdinaryClay.

Paisley and OrdinaryClay are quite clearly different. Here's how you can tell them apart:

Paisley creates a thread with a title like, "Claim foo proves the absurdity of the materialistic worldview!" Then he proceeds to address every rebuttal with posts like, "Ah! So you agree that foo proves the absurdity of the materialistic worldview," and, "That research disproving my assertion is controversial, and so is invalid, unlike my controversial and vague research which supports my assertion," and, "If you insist on being infantile, you cannot post to this thread."

OC creates a thread with a topic like, "Atheists are all baby-eating communist necropedophiles!" with an initial post that is tangentially related to the thread topic (say, 'Atheists aren't afraid of death. Atheists also like babies and children.'), and then pretend if the thread topic isn't his real assertion. Where Paisley asserts, OC implies. Where Paisley is brash, OC is coy.

They are really fairly easy to tell apart. I'd say fraternal twins, rather than identical.

Ahh okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:I

OrdinaryClay wrote:

I expected to hear all kinds of false bravado. It is a lot like the naive soldier who yearns for battle, and then shits his pants when he faces the real deal. Big talk. It is easy to talk abstractly about death and how much you "understand", all while conveniently ignoring what you don't understand. It is easy to feel confident when you have an internet full of "yes man" all patting each other on the back. You can always go to the atheist book reports for strength when you are confounded by questions. You can always join with the minions pretending to have a deep understanding of how this whole thing works.

What's an athiest book report?  Am I the only one wondering about this?

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote:What's an athiest

Fish wrote:

I assume that he thinks that we treat books written by atheists like he treats his scripture.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
thatonedude wrote:Fish

thatonedude wrote:

Fish wrote:

I assume that he thinks that we treat books written by atheists like he treats his scripture.

He certainly can't mean reading and drawing one's own conclusion. I don't think I've met a Christian that does that with scripture.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:He certainly

jcgadfly wrote:
He certainly can't mean reading and drawing one's own conclusion. I don't think I've met a Christian that does that with scripture.
Yes you have. They're called atheists.

Zing!

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:jcgadfly

JillSwift wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
Yes you have. They're called atheists.

Zing!

<rimshot>

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:When

OrdinaryClay wrote:
When faced with their own mortality atheists doubt the strength of their own convictions. When it comes time for "lights out" the whole idea of death being equivalent to being not borne gets a worrisome. Why? Because there was no time before not being borne when we thought about not being borne.

The greatest fear is fear of the unknown. The greatest unknown is death. It makes perfect sense that people would fear it, so much so that they would invent myths to comfort themselves, that death wouldn't be the end, that it might even be salvation.

Yes, I have doubts. Of course I have doubts. 

Quote:
I expected to hear all kinds of false bravado. It is a lot like the naive soldier who yearns for battle, and then shits his pants when he faces the real deal. Big talk. It is easy to talk abstractly about death and how much you "understand", all while conveniently ignoring what you don't understand. It is easy to feel confident when you have an internet full of "yes man" all patting each other on the back. You can always go to the atheist book reports for strength when you are confounded by questions. You can always join with the minions pretending to have a deep understanding of how this whole thing works.

You're just here to be an asshole, aren't you? You know what, fuck you!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:When faced with their

Quote:

...This is absurd. It's like saying, "Well, I've never met a person who has experienced massive head trauma who was able to correctly deduce any given mathematical equation, therefore math is wrong,"

Are you trying to elevate being near death or in imminent danger as some sort of 'pure' state where our 'real' selves suddenly pop out from our mortal shells? Because that's just plain false. A person near death or in a situation where their life is jeopardized is (unless they have been conditioned to deal with those circumstances) emotionally and mentally compromised; they're at their weakest state for making sound logical/philosophical deductions.

So, yes. No doubt that people might think all sorts of crazy things after they've eaten their very last Oh Henry! bar. This does not somehow lend any veracity to said crazy things.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I expected to hear all

Quote:

Yeah. 'False bravado'.

Just like the 'false bravado' Pat Tillman had, before his Christian 'buddies' shot him in the back and murdered him in cold blood, right?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold

nigelTheBold wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

I did not assume that. I assumed all atheists had doubt when push comes to shove.

I don't know how I'll respond to a long, lingering death, but I do know when faced with the prospect of eminent demise, the last thing on my mind is whether or not there is a god. I think if I do have doubts, they are buried quite deeply.

What makes you so sure these will be the last things on yor mind? Or are saying you think this will be the case?

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:OrdinaryClay

JillSwift wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:
I don't understand the relevancy to atheist doubts.
People doubt. It happens, just not to everyone. My point in asking about them is to point out the utter absurdity of your all-ecompasing claim.

You will find doubting atheists. You will find doubting Christians. You will find doubting Buddhists. You will find doubting Hindus. You will find doubting Muslims.

I suppose they could rationalize their position knowing their doubt is common. That somehow makes it easier to push out of your mind. In the end this is how we handle doubt. We don't think about it, or we rationalize it. We surround ourselves with like minded people who will all confirm our rationalizations.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

I did not assume that. I assumed all atheists had doubt when push comes to shove.

I don't know how I'll respond to a long, lingering death, but I do know when faced with the prospect of eminent demise, the last thing on my mind is whether or not there is a god. I think if I do have doubts, they are buried quite deeply.

What makes you so sure these will be the last things on yor mind? Or are saying you think this will be the case?

Comes from not having the fear of death that seems to rule your life.

— George Carlin

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:It's possible

Thomathy wrote:

It's possible my wall of text, which posed the same question and made light of the same pointlessness, has been unanswered for that very reason.

Actually I was going to respond, but you will notice these threads can be busy ones for atheists.  I was going to say to your "wall of text", you over complicated things. It is pretty simple in the end.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

I've had two cases where I was faced with eminent death: in one case, I was shot at. In another, I was in a massive car accident. In both cases, I thought I would likely die during the event. In neither case did I think about god. Not once. There were an infinite number of things that I didn't think about, and all of them would've been thought before I thought of god. In the case of being shot at, I thought about my daughter, who was in a backpack on my back, so I turned so my body was between the shooters and her. In the case of the accident, I kept marvelling at how the car kept getting smaller as it rolled over several times, and wondered if I'd be crushed to death or if my neck would snap, and hoped it would be my neck. (I hate pain.) As a side note: seatbelts save lives.

So I am quite sure I will not worry about my lack of belief in god if I go suddenly, no more than I worry about my lack of belief in the Jolly Green Giant (though he does grow same pretty good green beans).

In case of a lingering death, I may or may not concern myself with my lack of belief in god. Probably not, as I don't concern myself right now, and I know I'm dieing. But you never know, as the time gets closer.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:Thomathy

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

It's possible my wall of text, which posed the same question and made light of the same pointlessness, has been unanswered for that very reason.

Actually I was going to respond, but you will notice these threads can be busy ones for atheists.  I was going to say to your "wall of text", you over complicated things. It is pretty simple in the end.

I over-complicated things?  Very well, it is simple in the end.  People may doubt themselves.  Did you have a point to make, though?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse

Anonymouse wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:
Why do ask? Because it doesn't work for you? Why doesn't it work for you?

Like I said, the analogy doesn't work because you'd know what to expect from a battle.

The analogy is brave talk before reality. Does not matter how much you think you know about the reality. The reality is beyond what you were prepared for.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote:OrdinaryClay

Fish wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

These are the texts (sometimes called essays) put together all over the internet by atheists to proclaim their deep knowledge. They are often fancied as some coup de grace to a theist position.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Yes, I

butterbattle wrote:

It is good to see honesty.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

I didn't ignore it. I didn't answer it. I don't understand the relevancy to atheist doubts.

Another example of your inadequate reasoning skills - not seeing the relevance of very closely related topics to put your arguments in perspective and even help answer some of your questions is a serious deficiency.

Don't kid yourself. I don't. The theist position regarding doubt I'm very sure has been talked about extensively by every atheist on this forum. Now judging from the reaction this thread has had I get the feeling that atheists don't ask these same questions of themselves to much - at least not in public. Now maybe JillSwift really did want to honestly know what I thought about atheist doubt. I doubt it, but just in case I responded to JillSwift's other comment regarding universal doubt.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:I suppose

OrdinaryClay wrote:
I suppose they could rationalize their position knowing their doubt is common. That somehow makes it easier to push out of your mind. In the end this is how we handle doubt. We don't think about it, or we rationalize it. We surround ourselves with like minded people who will all confirm our rationalizations.
Or we explore the doubt and try to use some sort of epistemology to replace doubt with something closer to certainty.

That said, I still ask: "So what"? (Why you edited that out of the quote, I can't say. I find it odd, though.)

What is the point of your OP? All it looks like is a stroke with a very broad brush as an assertion and one incredibly weak stab at supporting that assertion. In itself, it makes no point.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Anonymouse wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:
Why do ask? Because it doesn't work for you? Why doesn't it work for you?

Like I said, the analogy doesn't work because you'd know what to expect from a battle.

The analogy is brave talk before reality. Does not matter how much you think you know about the reality. The reality is beyond what you were prepared for.

Yes and the only reason you can say that's just brave talk is because you do know (or can imagine) that a battlefield can be very scary. You do NOT know at all what, if anything, awaits you after death and thats why the analogy fails. You just chose to assume it'll be "beyond what you were prepared for".

Likewise, I could say dying is just like getting a vaccine as a child. At first you're scared of the needle but after its over you realize it didn't really hurt and you think it was silly to be afraid of it. With zero data about what really happens after death, that analogy is just as (in)valid.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:What is the point of

Quote:
What is the point of your OP?

To make another, 'NO ATHEISTS IN FOXHOLES WITH US CHRISTIANS!@!!' argument.

Of course, it's tough to find atheists in said foxholes when said Christians just shoot them in the back once they're there, isn't it?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

Don't kid yourself. I don't. The theist position regarding doubt I'm very sure has been talked about extensively by every atheist on this forum. Now judging from the reaction this thread has had I get the feeling that atheists don't ask these same questions of themselves to much - at least not in public. Now maybe JillSwift really did want to honestly know what I thought about atheist doubt. I doubt it, but just in case I responded to JillSwift's other comment regarding universal doubt.

You did not say in your initial response, that I quoted, that you were not interested in discussing theist doubt because you felt it had already "been talked about extensively", you said you did not "understand the relevancy" to this discussion. Different point.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:You did not

BobSpence1 wrote:
You did not say in your initial response, that I quoted, that you were not interested in discussing theist doubt because you felt it had already "been talked about extensively", you said you did not "understand the relevancy" to this discussion. Different point.
What? OrdinaryClay didn't directly address your point?

Unprecedented!

Seriously, OC, if you're just going to bob and weave, get out of the ring.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

It is good to see honesty.

Well, now you know what honesty looks like. Care to show some yourself?

— George Carlin

Tycoon
User is offlineOffline

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Uhhm, no. I have no doubts about the strength of my conviction. Death does not scare me at all, in fact, I look at it as almost a beautiful thing - while you feel no pleasure, you feel no pain, you see no light, you see no dark, there is no good, there is no bad. Perfect neutrality that comes after a life filled with chaos.

On the other hand, the lies spread by the various religions of the world are an attempt to stamp out the truth about death. People are afraid of death because it's an unfathomable change from everything we know - and religion has capitalized on that.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:1. I think OC

jcgadfly wrote:
1. I think OC is trying to describe the young man who expects to find glory in battle but only finds a gory reality. He's much like that young man - he expects to be covered in heavenly glory after he dies. I wonder if he'll be disappointed when he finds that all a person really is after death is dead.

Ah, so he was talking about himself. Okay, I get it now. Still, he could have been a bit more clear about that.

jcgadfly wrote:
What happens after is anyone's guess - I lean toward nothing happening (or at least, me not caring).

Yeah, not caring does make more sense than being afraid, imo.

jcgadfly wrote:
2. He thinks that not having a belief is really a belief.

I've heard that one before. Is it just me, or does that make no sense at all ?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:The

OrdinaryClay wrote:
The analogy is brave talk before reality. Does not matter how much you think you know about the reality.

I thought I made it quite clear that I make no claims to know anything at all about the "reality" after death.

Neither should you.

But you're going to anyway, aren't you ?

Yup, here it comes...

OrdinaryClay wrote:
The reality is beyond what you were prepared for.

Now how could you possibly know that ? I could be very well prepared indeed. There is simply no way for anyone to know for sure.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Regarding the OP

I personally have technically died, and was resuscitated, and I was clinically dead for about 3 to 4 minutes according to the doctors, however having faced that, I personally am not afraid of death, I am afraid of having a long and painful process of dying, but that's not the same as being afraid of death. In my personal experience, it is not usually the unbelievers that are afraid but the believers that are. In my years of having seen people die (family members, friends, friend's family members and a few strangers in hospitals and on the combat field) I must say that unbelievers and buddhists died usually more peacefully or more accepting than those of the christian and jewish faith (never seen a muslim die or a hindu or those of other beliefs) The jewish and christians were more willing to have all the procedures done to prolong life, while the buddhist and the atheists/unbelievers had no problem accepting death as a natural process of life and simply once dead that was it, basically a DNR, my father himself an atheist, has stated that under no circumstances is he to be put on a machine to prolong his life, it is not his desire to live his last days like that.

Now OrdinaryClay, how can you back up your claims?

Oh as well there has been research into this, this is one of the latests ones http://www.acperesearch.net/apr09.html which shows that people suffering from cancer that held relgious views had a higher percentage of wanting life prolonging procedures, here is another one regarding physicians and their views of death http://www.tau.ac.il/socialwork/adler/docs/Articles/1_6.pdf which also states that the non religious physcians have less fears about dying/death. There are lots of studies regarding this, I would like to know how you came to your conclusion?

whatever
whatever's picture
User is offlineOffline

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Don't you mean that their was no time before being born when we thought about not being born.  The time in which I was being born is very limited, but as far I can tell the time in which I am not being born stretches as far as time has meaning.  Basically you statement specifies a time before time which is in itself a contradiction. 

That said in regards to the rest of you statement I have no real fear of dying. 

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Oh as well there has

Quote:
Oh as well there has been research into this, this is one of the latests ones http://www.acperesearch.net/apr09.html which shows that people suffering from cancer that held relgious views had a higher percentage of wanting life prolonging procedures, here is another one regarding physicians and their views of death http://www.tau.ac.il/socialwork/adler/docs/Articles/1_6.pdf which also states that the non religious physcians have less fears about dying/death. There are lots of studies regarding this, I would like to know how you came to your conclusion?

Don't come in here with your 'facts' and your 'studies' and your 'science'. That stuff is all part of the atheistic materialism naturalist worldview, which is chortlingly false because it does not answer the question of 'ultimate reality', remember?

Sticking out tongue

Quote:

February 27, 1940

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

OrdinaryClay wrote:

So, you're saying people are afraid of death? WOW! AMAZING DISCOVERY!!

Maybe you're trying to say that only atheists have that? yea right......

As for me personally, I tend to get really scared when I start thinking about death, so I try not to think about it. Maybe it has something to do with the fact I'm only 15,

''Black Holes result from God dividing the universe by zero.''

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:Quote:...

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Quote:

... From both personal introspection and listening to or reading seriously thoughtful atheists I know, as certainly as one can know such things, that this is manifestly false, ...

How certain is this? Introspection and discussions, Okay. Like Nigel said. We die alone.

Quote:

... This is based on confidential reports from medical staff present at the final moments of many people. It is the sort of thing that believers very obviously do not wish to hear, so it does not get spread around, and respect for privacy of their patients means that doctors and nurses are not going to make a big effort to publicize their observations.

Well good thing for atheists we got all these confidentiality laws and such. Helps build resolve. So Hume was calm and his Christian buddy was all shook up. Sounds almost mythical.

Seems you are arguing from ignorance and denial, trying to support yet another one of your Christian misconceptions. 

Ok, just keep denying, ignoring, twisting, ridiculing any evidence we present that shows up just how disconnected from the Truth you really are...

What happened, OrdinaryClay, did a big bad atheist frighten you when you were a child??

Has your faith failed to bring you the comfort you seek, so you have to prove that atheists have it even worse??

Those outbursts of bitterness about atheists make me wonder...

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Quote:

... From both personal introspection and listening to or reading seriously thoughtful atheists I know, as certainly as one can know such things, that this is manifestly false, ...

How certain is this? Introspection and discussions, Okay. Like Nigel said. We die alone.

I have been in situations where the prospect of death was very real. So my memories of my reactions and thoughts at the time, ie, introspection, is about as certain as one can get as to my reactions to the situation, short of having a next generation fMRI machine strapped to my head at the time. Comparing my thoughts to those of others, via discussions, is more than adequate to confirm that my reactions are not unique.

Your comment about dying alone, while true, is totally and typically irrelevant.

Are you really so determined to convince us, by example, just how thoughtless and irrational Theists can be??

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Quote:

I have been in situations where the prospect of death was very real. So my memories of my reactions and thoughts at the time, ie, introspection, is about as certain as one can get as to my reactions to the situation, short of having a next generation fMRI machine strapped to my head at the time. Comparing my thoughts to those of others, via discussions, is more than adequate to confirm that my reactions are not unique.

Your comment about dying alone, while true, is totally and typically irrelevant.

Are you really so determined to convince us, by example, just how thoughtless and irrational Theists can be??

Cut him a little slack - Dying scares him so much that he thinks we all must share his fear.

— George Carlin

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Manageri wrote:There's

Manageri wrote:

There's absolutely nothing to fear about ceasing to exist. I think it's kinda ironic that we'd only need to be worried if your grand delusions about "salvation" were true. Christianity creates the problem (afterlife and hell) then sells you the cure (jesus and heaven). It's a petty scam.

I'm sorry that it is a bit out of context, but I have a general, hypothetic question, which might reveal some interesting details. Or it might be already answered, so I'll keep it quick.
People were and are able to do awful things just to avoid death, let's say, let others be betrayed, tortured, killed, and so on. I guess this is because of a fear of death. So, if the atheists seems to have so little of the fear of death, can they also choose their death, if a price of their life would be too high for others? If yes, was it also observed historically? Or is it only a relatively recent phenomenon, the death-fearless atheists? I'd wonder what modern influence caused this.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
 To be perfectly honest, I

To be perfectly honest, I fully expect to have doubts. I think it is only natural to question what you have done in your life. Sure some may have no doubts, but I do not think I will be one of them. As I said it is only natural to questions what you have done in your life and bassed on the finallity of death that may be enough to cause me to doubt (note, doubt doesn't = convert)

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
You didn't read the rest of

You didn't read the rest of the thread. It was stated, numerous times, that it's not that atheists don't fear death, it's that that fear doesn't translate into bedside conversions to theism. So your question's really a non-sequitur.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Ahem.. Except... not...

Ahem..

Except... not...

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/2009/03/18/meanwhile-science-disproves-another-religious-myth/

Quote:
March 17, 2009 — Terminally ill cancer patients who relied on their religious faith to help them cope with their disease were more likely to receive aggressive medical care during their last week of life, a study shows.

Patients who engaged in what the researchers called positive religious coping, which included prayer, meditation, and religious study, ended up having more intensive life-prolonging interventions such as mechanical ventilation or cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

The study is published in the latest edition of The Journal of the American Medical Association.

The patients who reported a high level of positive religious coping at the start of the study were almost three times as likely to receive mechanical ventilation and other life-prolonging medical care in the last week of life as patients who said they relied less on their religious beliefs to help them deal with their illness.

So... um... it appears that theists are more afraid of dying than atheists.  Go figure.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Manageri

Luminon wrote:

Manageri wrote:

There's absolutely nothing to fear about ceasing to exist. I think it's kinda ironic that we'd only need to be worried if your grand delusions about "salvation" were true. Christianity creates the problem (afterlife and hell) then sells you the cure (jesus and heaven). It's a petty scam.

I'm sorry that it is a bit out of context, but I have a general, hypothetic question, which might reveal some interesting details. Or it might be already answered, so I'll keep it quick.
People were and are able to do awful things just to avoid death, let's say, let others be betrayed, tortured, killed, and so on. I guess this is because of a fear of death. So, if the atheists seems to have so little of the fear of death, can they also choose their death, if a price of their life would be too high for others? If yes, was it also observed historically? Or is it only a relatively recent phenomenon, the death-fearless atheists? I'd wonder what modern influence caused this.

Altruistic death? I'd have no problem doing that. I don't know about atheists doing such in history.

As for influences, I think it's more of an individual thing. A run in with cancer and multiple surgeries for various reasons left me with a lack of concern about my own demise.

I'm not looking to rush things, but I have no fear of shuffling off this mortal coil.

— George Carlin

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:I

latincanuck wrote:

I personally have technically died, and was resuscitated, and I was clinically dead for about 3 to 4 minutes according to the doctors, however having faced that, I personally am not afraid of death, I am afraid of having a long and painful process of dying, but that's not the same as being afraid of death. In my personal experience, it is not usually the unbelievers that are afraid but the believers that are. In my years of having seen people die (family members, friends, friend's family members and a few strangers in hospitals and on the combat field) I must say that unbelievers and buddhists died usually more peacefully or more accepting than those of the christian and jewish faith (never seen a muslim die or a hindu or those of other beliefs) The jewish and christians were more willing to have all the procedures done to prolong life, while the buddhist and the atheists/unbelievers had no problem accepting death as a natural process of life and simply once dead that was it, basically a DNR, my father himself an atheist, has stated that under no circumstances is he to be put on a machine to prolong his life, it is not his desire to live his last days like that.

Wow, you have a lot of anecdotal evidence.

Quote:

Oh as well there has been research into this, this is one of the latests ones http://www.acperesearch.net/apr09.html which shows that people suffering from cancer that held relgious views had a higher percentage of wanting life prolonging procedures,

A value for the sanctity of life was not accounted for. This correlation does not really apply to this subject.

"Our findings should not be misinterpreted as denying the experience of many patients who find peaceful acceptance of death and pursue comfort-centered care because of their religious faith. Although religious coping is a theoretically appealing measure of functional religiousness, we cannot say that positive religious coping rather than other religious factors (e.g., religiously based morals) completely accounts for the associations observed. [p. 1146] "

Quote:

here is another one regarding physicians and their views of death http://www.tau.ac.il/socialwork/adler/docs/Articles/1_6.pdf which also states that the non religious physcians have less fears about dying/death. There are lots of studies regarding this, I would like to know how you came to your conclusion?

The thread was not about present fear. It is about doubt at the moment of death. The thread has never been about bravery. On the contrary, it is a given we develop communities to bolster our bravery. It is a given we all have fear. Fear may actually be an indicator of less doubt about ones beliefs.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: So...

Hambydammit wrote:

So... um... it appears that theists are more afraid of dying than atheists.  Go figure. 

"... death in a predominantly Christian sample of patients with advanced cancer. ..."
Or maybe Christians value life more, or maybe Christians value their time with their family more, or maybe Christians value their time with their fellow human beings more.

Perpetuating an opinion in a blog does not make the opinion truer.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

Wow, you have a lot of anecdotal evidence.

Quote:

Oh as well there has been research into this, this is one of the latests ones http://www.acperesearch.net/apr09.html which shows that people suffering from cancer that held relgious views had a higher percentage of wanting life prolonging procedures,

A value for the sanctity of life was not accounted for. This correlation does not really apply to this subject.

"Our findings should not be misinterpreted as denying the experience of many patients who find peaceful acceptance of death and pursue comfort-centered care because of their religious faith. Although religious coping is a theoretically appealing measure of functional religiousness, we cannot say that positive religious coping rather than other religious factors (e.g., religiously based morals) completely accounts for the associations observed. [p. 1146] "

Quote:

here is another one regarding physicians and their views of death http://www.tau.ac.il/socialwork/adler/docs/Articles/1_6.pdf which also states that the non religious physcians have less fears about dying/death. There are lots of studies regarding this, I would like to know how you came to your conclusion?

The thread was not about present fear. It is about doubt at the moment of death. The thread has never been about bravery. On the contrary, it is a given we develop communities to bolster our bravery. It is a given we all have fear. Fear may actually be an indicator of less doubt about ones beliefs.

Interesting. Being afraid of a God makes you more sure he exists?

As for doubt - at the moment of death I will have no doubt at all that I'm dying. I still won't be concerned about anything in the past because it will be too late for me to change anything.

— George Carlin

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote: To be

Tapey wrote:

To be perfectly honest, I fully expect to have doubts. I think it is only natural to question what you have done in your life. Sure some may have no doubts, but I do not think I will be one of them. As I said it is only natural to questions what you have done in your life and bassed on the finallity of death that may be enough to cause me to doubt (note, doubt doesn't = convert)

Again, thanks for your honesty, but if you admit that you may have doubts why do you seem to rule out conversion?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:Tapey

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Again, thanks for your honesty, but if you admit that you may have doubts why do you seem to rule out conversion?

He's not - he's saying that having doubts won't necessarily trigger a conversion to your God. Conversion is not based so much on doubt as fear.

— George Carlin

FreeHugMachine
FreeHugMachine's picture
User is offlineOffline
OC:

Atheism is usually (though not only) founded by skeptical thinking, which is really just doubt + rational thought.  So I'd hope every atheist would be willing to constantly re-examine their position on reality throughout his/her life.  Unless your apologist make a breakthrough, however, I doubt the re-examinations will lead to many conversions.

One would think that a non-afterlife atheist would value life more than a Christian  ... seeing that this particular atheist views this life as his one and only shot.  You'd think Christians would all be rushing up to heaven eh?  When you are on a deathbed with a terminal illness that you've known about for quite some time... you normally try have your affairs in order.  You say your goodbyes and you prepare for your demise.  I don't see how your explanations of a theist valuing life and family more come into play.  I would value my life enough to allow for my end with some dignity.  I would value my family enough to not have them suffer for that many more days waiting for the phone to ring that I've passed.  Don't try to make selfish acts appear noble.

You insult everyone with your arrogance, though it is expected.

At least you tried.

Hugz

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
FreeHugMachine wrote:You'd

FreeHugMachine wrote:

You'd think Christians would all be rushing up to heaven eh? 

You are basing your vision of Christians based on your atheist view of the world. Why would someone want to rush to eternity when they have work to do while mortal. There will be plenty of time to enjoy eternity.

Quote:

... You say your goodbyes and you prepare for your demise.  I don't see how your explanations of a theist valuing life and family more come into play.  I would value my life enough to allow for my end with some dignity.  I would value my family enough to not have them suffer for that many more days waiting for the phone to ring that I've passed.  Don't try to make selfish acts appear noble.

You seem to have very different experiences then I. My time with my family has never been suffering.