Anti-theism vs atheism

dretceterini
User is offlineOffline
Anti-theism vs atheism

IMO, anyone who has a theistic belief is mentally ill, so I go so far as to call myself an anti-theist.    I don't know how someone with even an once of brains can believe in an omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent space fairy...

To paraphrase Gabriel Voisin, a French aerodynamicist: There is something that travels faster than the speed of light; the thoughts of an imbecile

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
dretceterini wrote: IMO,

dretceterini wrote:

IMO, anyone who has a theistic belief is mentally ill, so I go so far as to call myself an anti-theist.    I don't know how someone with even an once of brains can believe in an omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent space fairy...

Anxiety relief, relief from depression and social acceptance.

If it feels better to force oneself to believe, why would it be crazy to try to believe?

If you gain social acceptance for being a theist, and distain for being an athiest. One could argue it is insane to be a an atheist.

A percentage of theists do suffer from delusional problems, but I think they are a minority.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
D:

Your image. It is TOO BIG. It's over in your text area.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Your image. It is TOO

Quote:

OCD!

Sticking out tongue

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Your image.

ClockCat wrote:

Yeah, but the lilacs are pretty.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

There. I can do it too!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yah, I was wondering why

Yah, I was wondering why another thread that you posted in looks messed up.  Please make a not of the fact that it is annoying.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Fixed now. As soon as the forum gets around to updating it.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
dretceterini wrote: IMO,

dretceterini wrote:

Yup. Big difference between Anti-theism vs Atheism, which is precisely why in response to "anyone who has a theistic belief is mentally ill,", I know it's their own damn problem, and unless they're in my face, I don't give a fuck and leave 'em alone.

So, to the Anti-theist, I'd tell 'em to take a pill, 'cause they're exhibing sings of the same mental illness as Theists do.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hmmm... I'm anti-theism.

Hmmm... I'm anti-theism.  I'm not specifically anti-theist unless the theist in question warrants my anti.

I'm anti-Pat Robertson, but I'm not particularly anti-my-next-door-neighbor's-grandmother.  I am against any and all relgion as concepts and practices, though.

That seems the only reasonable position, given that most people who genuinely believe in religion are victims of childhood indoctrination, and can't help the fact that they believe.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:If it feels better

EXC wrote:
If it feels better to force oneself to believe, why would it be crazy to try to believe?

If you gain social acceptance for being a theist, and distain for being an athiest. One could argue it is insane to be a an atheist.

I think this confuses the issue. The assertion is that, believing in the various forms of the supernatural is a form of mental illness. This is due to the fact that there is no evidence to support the idea and there are mountains of evidence to suggest the belief is pure fantasy. The god propositions all fly in the face of reality and stink of total fanciful madness. When we hear voices telling us what to do, that's not divinity...it's insanity.

The fact that people will say and do a lot of things to be accepted and to relieve stress is neither here nor there. If someone actually believes that there are all powerful sky pixies watching them masturbate, now *that* is something to be concerned about.

treat2 wrote:
So, to the Anti-theist, I'd tell 'em to take a pill, 'cause they're exhibing sings of the same mental illness as Theists do.

Signs of which mental illness? Arguing against blind adherance to supernatural idiocy?

I'm not sure I see where mental illness comes in to play.

Papa O-ba-Mao (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
By George, I think you got

By George, I think you got it.   IMO anyone who believes in magic sky fairies is simply nuts....

dretceterini
User is offlineOffline
atheist vs anti-theist

By George, I think you got it.  IMO, anyone who believes in some sort of magic sky fairy is simply nuts!

To paraphrase Gabriel Voisin, a French aerodynamicist: There is something that travels faster than the speed of light; the thoughts of an imbecile