This is a University in America, in 2009

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a University in America, in 2009

Scary, isn't it? Why can't these people get throat cancer...

The gay/lesbian organization is cool for doing that.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:Scary,

peppermint wrote:

Scary, isn't it? Why can't these people get throat cancer...

Bigoted Old Bitch wrote:

Since the scripture clearly says that homosexuality is a sin, BJU's policy forbids homosexuality.

Nothing fucking pisses me off more than that shit!

How can they even fucking do that? I have little knowledge of the law over there in the US but isn't it outlawed as discrimination or something??

''Black Holes result from God dividing the universe by zero.''

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:Scary,

peppermint wrote:

Scary, isn't it?

I don't give a whole lot of attention to a university with the name "Bob" in its title.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote: The

peppermint wrote:

Definitely. I can't say I agree with their beliefs, but they were polite and brought a message of love and respect, which makes all the difference. If religion really only produced people like that, people that were compassionate, tolerant, etc., I wouldn't have a problem with it. Unfortunately, the reality is that we also get those other fuckers.

It made me really sad when that girl was arrested.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:

Scary,isn't it . Yep, but what scarier is that, these mind numbing idiots were in the Bush White House,giving advice to those who would listen.   

Signature ? How ?

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
 That level of ignorance is

That level of ignorance is staggering to anyone with any sensibility... I consider it my personal mission in life to make fun of such ignominious dullards...and embarrass their children for having such fearful, backwards-ass parents...

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
SSBBJunky wrote:How can

SSBBJunky wrote:
How can they even fucking do that? I have little knowledge of the law over there in the US but isn't it outlawed as discrimination or something??

Well, there are rules for how to conduct a protest. Just for example, consider the reverse case.

If some bunch of pro-lifers decided to protest a planned parenthood office, well if they do so from across the street, then they are good to go. People are free to ignore them or if they are so inclined, walk over and talk to them.

However, if they cross the street, then they are subject to extra rules. They cannot block the sidewalk for people who just do not care and want to walk down that side of the street. They cannot block the entrance to the building. Basically, as long as they pretty much stay out of everyone's way, they are still good to go.

The instant that they step past the sidewalk to the actual property of the building, then they are trespassing and are subject to arrest. That would put them on the private property of the target of their protest and the owner of the property certainly has the right to decide how his property is used.

Now while a university campus is a big open space and a few people standing in one of the quads might not be blocking anyone from anything, the video makes it pretty clear that they were standing inside the property line and had refused to move back to where they would have been good to go.

Now, I don't much care for those idiots any more than anyone else here. However, if we expect the rules to work in our favor when they have their event, then we cannot really ask that they only apply to them and not to us when we decide to have our protests.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
fuckin' bob jones.  i

fuckin' bob jones.  i remember they condemned jerry falwell as too liberal a few years back.

i agree that protestors who break the law in any way should be arrested and it's obvious the policeman was being as courteous and as reasonable as possible.  the only thing about the girl's arrest that made me uncomfortable were the cuffs.  they obviously weren't necessary.  maybe they're required by some policy, but it's a policy that needs to be reexamined.  when you agree to cooperate fully with the police, cuffs are just humiliating.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

SSBBJunky wrote:
How can they even fucking do that? I have little knowledge of the law over there in the US but isn't it outlawed as discrimination or something??

Well, there are rules for how to conduct a protest. Just for example, consider the reverse case.

If some bunch of pro-lifers decided to protest a planned parenthood office, well if they do so from across the street, then they are good to go. People are free to ignore them or if they are so inclined, walk over and talk to them.

However, if they cross the street, then they are subject to extra rules. They cannot block the sidewalk for people who just do not care and want to walk down that side of the street. They cannot block the entrance to the building. Basically, as long as they pretty much stay out of everyone's way, they are still good to go.

The instant that they step past the sidewalk to the actual property of the building, then they are trespassing and are subject to arrest. That would put them on the private property of the target of their protest and the owner of the property certainly has the right to decide how his property is used.

Now while a university campus is a big open space and a few people standing in one of the quads might not be blocking anyone from anything, the video makes it pretty clear that they were standing inside the property line and had refused to move back to where they would have been good to go.

Now, I don't much care for those idiots any more than anyone else here. However, if we expect the rules to work in our favor when they have their event, then we cannot really ask that they only apply to them and not to us when we decide to have our protests.

That's right. Even at a funeral, if you are not invading private property and have met the permit requirements, and are on public property, you are fine.

She was on private property, she refused to leave. The police would have done the same if the roles were reversed. Her free speech was not violated by being arrested. She was arrested for trespassing, not her message.

But cant those same gays protesting the bigots see that they are doing the exact same thing blacks do? Blacks today wouldn't be Christians if their ancestors weren't forced into it by slavemasters. Why would any gay person want to be a part of such a bigoted history and perpetuate it?

Seems ironic that they want to call themselves Christians considaring how Christianity has treated them throughout history.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:fuckin' bob

iwbiek wrote:

fuckin' bob jones.  i remember they condemned jerry falwell as too liberal a few years back.

i agree that protestors who break the law in any way should be arrested and it's obvious the policeman was being as courteous and as reasonable as possible.  the only thing about the girl's arrest that made me uncomfortable were the cuffs.  they obviously weren't necessary.  maybe they're required by some policy, but it's a policy that needs to be reexamined.  when you agree to cooperate fully with the police, cuffs are just humiliating.

Yeah, it's policy.  I've had family and friends in the Greenville Sherriff's Department and City Police respectively, and both of them require cuffing; there are insurance reasons, for one thing.  I think I'm the only one on the boards who grew up in rock's throwing distance of BJU, so I feel entitled to hold forth a lil' bit here.  Throughout the already extremely right wing Piedmont of South Carolina, Bob Jones has a reputation for dumping unqualified "professionals" into the job market and idiot students into intern positions.  I remember in particular having a student teacher in my freshman Spanish class who spent most of her time romancing our Panamanian janitorial staff.  

Apropos of maintaining a legal distance for protesting, when I was a kid, we had a Planned Parenthood clinic in town that was next to a vacant house.  A local church (unaffiliated with Mr. Jones) bought the house so that they could protest night and day, going so far as to put down on their luck families in there without demanding rent.  I don't ever remember going past there without seeing at least a couple goofballs waving signs and accosting people heading in.  Crafty.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Answers in

Brian37 wrote:

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

SSBBJunky wrote:

That's right. Even at a funeral, if you are not invading private property and have met the permit requirements, and are on public property, you are fine.

She was on private property, she refused to leave. The police would have done the same if the roles were reversed. Her free speech was not violated by being arrested. She was arrested for trespassing, not her message.

But cant those same gays protesting the bigots see that they are doing the exact same thing blacks do? Blacks today wouldn't be Christians if their ancestors weren't forced into it by slavemasters. Why would any gay person want to be a part of such a bigoted history and perpetuate it?

Seems ironic that they want to call themselves Christians considaring how Christianity has treated them throughout history.

I pretty much agree with both of you. What I was asking if it was legal to not let gays into their university(which is what I understood she said). Or did I misunderstand?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:But cant those

Brian37 wrote:

Yeah, seriously, have these homosexuals every read the Bible?

"Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable." Leviticus 18:22

"If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." Leviticus 20:13

"Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion." Romans 1:26-28

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexuals offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of god." 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Need I say more?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:''nor

butterbattle wrote:

''nor male prostitutes''

Hmm, why does it only mention male prostitutes?  o.O

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Yeah,

butterbattle wrote:

"Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable." Leviticus 18:22

"If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." Leviticus 20:13

"Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion." Romans 1:26-28

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexuals offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of god." 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Need I say more?

Well, obviously christians don't follow the rules of leviticus or they would go to prison, but a gay christian would say that the new testament doesn't condemn homosexuality specifically, rather it refers to the sins of lust, prostitution, and homosexual rape.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
But, but, but, these two

But, but, but, these two excerpts are from the New Testament.

butterbattle wrote:

It says God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchange natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

Quote:
Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexuals offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of god." 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Neither the...adulterers...homosexual offenders...will inherit the kingdom of god.

I mean, holy crap, it's almost as ironic as being a black Mormon.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not gay and christians

I'm not gay and christians skeeve me out so your effort is comletely wasted here. I'm telling you why there are gay christians.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Brian37

butterbattle wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Need I say more?

While my heart goes out to gay Christians for their strength and openness, I can't help but agree with you on that same puzzling contradiction. Then again, most Christians really DO skip over passages like this to pick and choose what fits within their worldview. In a way, the BJU Assholes are the "true Christians".

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
...Uh. Is BJU the only

...Uh. Is BJU the only University in town?

If not... why the fuck would they want to go to BJU anyway? That place must reek of the suck. Shouldn't college kids be enrolling some place where there isn't a camera every 3 cubic feet from your nose and where they won't toss you out with no refund if you're caught have outrageously adventuresome sex with your classmates?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:...Uh.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

...Uh. Is BJU the only University in town?

If not... why the fuck would they want to go to BJU anyway? That place must reek of the suck. Shouldn't college kids be enrolling some place where there isn't a camera every 3 cubic feet from your nose and where they won't toss you out with no refund if you're caught have outrageously adventuresome sex with your classmates?

Well, there's a 2 year technical school (with a better reputation) and there's Furman University, which is a smaller, more selective school outside the city limits and there are decent (not great, but decent) state schools that are much cheaper than BJ's in surrounding counties.  So to answer your question, the people who want to go to Bob Jones are pretty rare.  The parents who are afraid that little Sally's going to get cornholed by a dark-skinned person or worse, start slow dancing with secular humanists, are the ones that keep the place in business.  Basically daddy says that he'll let the kid go anywhere, but he'll only support the kid if he/she goes to BJU.  The school isn't accredited, however, so getting a job or getting into grad school without a former BJU graduate to grease the wheels usually doesn't happen, and they end up staying in town for the rest of their life and maintaining the vicious circle of mediocrity.  My mother runs an oral surgery office in Greenville and when hiring somebody new to handle billing or reception, she'll take a 2 year tech school secretarial program grad with good grades and a little work experience over a Master's degree from BJU anyday.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Bob Jones Univ. stands as

Bob Jones Univ. stands as one of the finer examples of bigotry in the U.S.

They didn't even allow african americans to attend its school until the early 1970's and that was only after several other colleges had been sued successfully for having discriminatory practices.

When they did finally allow african americans to attend they only allowed "married" black students.

They finally corrected the "married" clause later in the 70's but the IRS took away their tax exemption for other varied violations.

Ronald (I'm waiting for Armageddon) Reagan pardoned the school in the 80's so our taxes could once again pay for idiot bigots w/ under 3 digit IQ's.

They also had a no interracial dating policy until 2000... coincidentally this was removed right after our own GW Bush (remember that moron?) spoke at the school. 

I sort of liken this school to the words of the bible itself.  It's interpretation of both human rights and human law only change when its convenient to do so or when human morality shows itself to be vastly superior to its own.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote:Bob Jones

AmericanIdle wrote:

Bob Jones Univ. stands as one of the finer examples of bigotry in the U.S.

They didn't even allow african americans to attend its school until the early 1970's and that was only after several other colleges had been sued successfully for having discriminatory practices.

When they did finally allow african americans to attend they only allowed "married" black students.

They finally corrected the "married" clause later in the 70's but the IRS took away their tax exemption for other varied violations.

Ronald (I'm waiting for Armageddon) Reagan pardoned the school in the 80's so our taxes could once again pay for idiot bigots w/ under 3 digit IQ's.

They also had a no interracial dating policy until 2000... coincidentally this was removed right after our own GW Bush (remember that moron?) spoke at the school. 

I sort of liken this school to the words of the bible itself.  It's interpretation of both human rights and human law only change when its convenient to do so or when human morality shows itself to be vastly superior to its own.

That's what I fucking hate the most.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Well, there's a 2 year

Quote:
Well, there's a 2 year technical school (with a better reputation) and there's Furman University, which is a smaller, more selective school outside the city limits and there are decent (not great, but decent) state schools that are much cheaper than BJ's in surrounding counties.  So to answer your question, the people who want to go to Bob Jones are pretty rare.  The parents who are afraid that little Sally's going to get cornholed by a dark-skinned person or worse, start slow dancing with secular humanists, are the ones that keep the place in business.  Basically daddy says that he'll let the kid go anywhere, but he'll only support the kid if he/she goes to BJU.  The school isn't accredited, however, so getting a job or getting into grad school without a former BJU graduate to grease the wheels usually doesn't happen, and they end up staying in town for the rest of their life and maintaining the vicious circle of mediocrity.  My mother runs an oral surgery office in Greenville and when hiring somebody new to handle billing or reception, she'll take a 2 year tech school secretarial program grad with good grades and a little work experience over a Master's degree from BJU anyday.

Holy. Crap.

...Isn't SoCal supposed to be one of the least sectarian states in the U.S.?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've read a lot about this

I've read a lot about this wacked out school. It's probably the worst "college" in the country, or up there with the worst of them at the very least.

You get demerits for everything, are encouraged to tattle-tale on classmates, have curfews and enormous amounts of restrictions, can't listen to anything but hymns or play video games that are as high as E10, must conform to bizarre dress code standards, etc.

It's creepy. The university looks like a place simply to brainwash and suck out the creativity with a cloak of "religious higher education" for the Southern Baptists' political motives. It's a facist nuthouse.

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:must

peppermint wrote:

must conform to bizarre dress code standards, etc.

so no mini-skirts of the size that's portrayed in animes? bloody hell!

peppermint wrote:

play video games that are as high as E10,

are you referring to the ESRB rating? REALLY? bloody hell, super smash brothers is rated teen for fuck's sake. They'll go berserk when I pull out Call of Duty and Gears of War...

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Holy. Crap.

...Isn't SoCal supposed to be one of the least sectarian states in the U.S.?

SoCal is southern California, which is part of a state, but not a state.

South Carolina is where Bob Jones is located, and it's one of the most sectarian places in the US.

--Bertrand Russell

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
D:

I want to fucking smack those faggots.

Seriously. I can't stand that. I dated a catholic guy once, who spent so much time hating himself the relationship just had to end.

I don't understand why they want to go to a god that biblicly has committed genocide on them, short of being "raised that way" and not wanting to change.

They all deserve smacks. Line them up in front of me and they will each get a turn.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.