Help Needed: Atheist Survival Guide

lily090
User is offlineOffline
Help Needed: Atheist Survival Guide

This is my first time posting here, so I hope you guys  don't  find this as BS.

I live in The Philippines,  which is a Catholic-dominated country. If not Catholic, then Christian; and if not Christian then Theistic.

Apparently, the whole  Catholic majority  thing happened because of the  Spaniard's colonization of our  country.. Early Friars would condemn you to hell if you didn't  pay any money to the Church (indulgence). Though the Filipinos were released from the rule of the Spaniards the Catholic mentality still stayed. Now  people are doing irrational things like starting stampedes just to pull on a  rope which is attached to a religious statue and wiping handkerchiefs  on the face  of a Jesus statue because "it heals illnesses". There is even no separation of Church and state here, because apparently, a Cardinal can cause a bloodless rebellion against the government.

I'm an 18  year-old atheist. All  my friends are either Catholics or they belong to some Christian denomination. Though my family  isn't that religious, my grandfather still sees that religion  should  be a big part of life. I haven't told anyone in my family that I'm an atheist  due to fear of discrimination (Atheism is the new Gay). I have honestly only  met 2  fellow atheist, both my professors, and haven't  met a fellow atheist student  or someone close to my  age (probably because I don't go out that much).

I found this site a few days ago, and I can pretty much say that this is where I only find solace regarding my Atheism; and although it may take some time (due to the amount of brainwashing) to get used to accepting that there is no sky daddy, I'm pretty sure I can get there if I lurk in this site more.  I'll gladly give up that warm fuzzy feeling you get from praying for a dose of reality and enlightenment.

Now, can anyone  please provide  me with a survival guide for an atheist living in a very theistic country? Any form off instructions, tips or advices are very much welcomed.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
lily090 wrote:There is even

lily090 wrote:
There is even no separation of Church and state here, because apparently, a Cardinal can cause a bloodless rebellion against the government.
you shouldn't be too surprised or taken aback that there is no separation of church and state.  There is no separation of church and state in a number of developed countries, including Canada.  I can't offer you a survival guide, but I'm certain someone here can help.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Sounds like you'd appreciate

Sounds like you'd appreciate a good proselytizing.

Sorry, but I don''t give a damn.

Comprende?

lily090
User is offlineOffline
 Well, good to know that

Well, good to know that you don't give a damn so much that you'd actually reply.

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to reality

Welcome to reality Lily

While a few of the people here can be somewhat caustic from time to time you'll definitely benefit by making this a regular stop while surfing the net for good reality sites.

Smiling

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's difficult being an

It's difficult being an atheist when nobody else around you is. I'm not sure if we have any Italians or Spanish atheists on this site, but I'm sure they'd be able to relate to your Catholic predicament. I was raised Catholic, but it's pretty easy to stop in Canada, considering the only people who go to church here are ... uh ... Italians, Spanish and Filipino.

This site is a kind of support group, though, so that might help. We're a bit rough around the edges, but you'll probably get used to it.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
lily090 wrote: Well, good

lily090 wrote:

Well, good to know that you don't give a damn so much that you'd actually reply.

The pleasure was and remmains entirely mine.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:The pleasure

treat2 wrote:

Are you upset about something today, or are you just having fun being cranky?

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:treat2

HisWillness wrote:

treat2 wrote:

Are you upset about something today, or are you just having fun being cranky?

Did you not know, Will?  Treat is the first of a new species:  a giant, disembodied, sand-filled vagina with the ability to type.  I can imagine how magnificent he is to behold, schlorping down the beach, laptop in tow...

To the new guy:  Sorry we're derailing your thread.  I can't imagine how tough it is to be a skeptically minded person in the Philippines; given the history of conquest and religious strife, I get the feeling most people have developed a "you're either with us or against us" mentality out of a need for security with the in-group.  The best advice I can give is to use social networking sites to meet a few similarly minded people.  We're obviously always here for you on the internet, but it helps to have a living, breathing friend who shares your beliefs.  When it comes to religious ceremonies, you'll probably have to play the game a little bit here and there, but if you're 18, you can probably gently phase yourself out of that particular aspect of the community without too many people noticing, just so long as you aren't screaming from the rooftops, which is probably not safe unless you've already got an education and a job.  There's lots of books out there, too, but I'm sure you already know about the big ones.

Welcome to the boards.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

FreeHugMachine
FreeHugMachine's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:Did you

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Did you not know, Will?  Treat is the first of a new species:  a giant, disembodied, sand-filled vagina with the ability to type.  I can imagine how magnificent he is to behold, schlorping down the beach, laptop in tow...

Thanks for the much needed (and appropriate) laugh!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi, welcome to the forum. I

Hi, welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay.

lily090 wrote:

Now, can anyone  please provide  me with a survival guide for an atheist living in a very theistic country? Any form off instructions, tips or advices are very much welcomed.

I think the most important thing to do is always to learn as much as you can. Coming to this forum is a great start.

I highly recommend the articles and essays on this site.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/rrs_authors

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I'm an 18  year-old

Quote:
I'm an 18  year-old atheist. All  my friends are either Catholics or they belong to some Christian denomination. Though my family  isn't that religious, my grandfather still sees that religion  should  be a big part of life. I haven't told anyone in my family that I'm an atheist  due to fear of discrimination (Atheism is the new Gay). I have honestly only  met 2  fellow atheist, both my professors, and haven't  met a fellow atheist student  or someone close to my  age (probably because I don't go out that much).

There's nothing cowardly about running for cover when there's ten of them and one of you, as it were.

As a matter of pragmatism, I'd suggest just laying low - at least while you're still living with your parents. Avoid theistic discussion where you can, just smile and nod where you cannot.

When you're out on your own, seek out people with similar ideas. They're out there. Have each other's back, and build from there.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

lily090 wrote:

I live in The Philippines,  which is a Catholic-dominated country. If not Catholic, then Christian; and if not Christian then Theistic.

Apparently, the whole  Catholic majority  thing happened because of the  Spaniard's colonization of our  country.. Early Friars would condemn you to hell if you didn't  pay any money to the Church (indulgence). Though the Filipinos were released from the rule of the Spaniards the Catholic mentality still stayed. Now  people are doing irrational things like starting stampedes just to pull on a  rope which is attached to a religious statue and wiping handkerchiefs  on the face  of a Jesus statue because "it heals illnesses". There is even no separation of Church and state here, because apparently, a Cardinal can cause a bloodless rebellion against the government.

I found this site a few days ago, and I can pretty much say that this is where I only find solace regarding my Atheism; and although it may take some time (due to the amount of brainwashing) to get used to accepting that there is no sky daddy, I'm pretty sure I can get there if I lurk in this site more.  I'll gladly give up that warm fuzzy feeling you get from praying for a dose of reality and enlightenment.

Now that you have named what does not exist it is perhaps a worthwhile project for this group to create a survival guide.

Being given the "benefit" of a Catholic Education in a conservative American city I simply kept my mouth shut and faked it. Atheism is not that big a part of life.

I think you have given the obvious route to persue in saying two professors are atheists. Study very hard and join the local academic community as a professor. Worst you can do is marry an atheist professor. Depending on your views on women in your country and if you want to live your life there and if marriage is good enough and men aren't too macho. In the US the advice would be to get your own PhD and then pick a man.

My route was getting out of there to Washington DC. The area isn't that much different but the community of scientists and engineers had a much higher percentage of atheists and most of them in the "never thought about it much" category which I think is a code phrase for "atheist but the wife won't like it."

=====

Speaking of a survival guide does anyone here have a reading list? I have only two books which might be worth reading in direct relation to this put they are philosophy not practicality.

How about an "Atheist Survival Guide for Dummies" kind of compilation? I have a chapter title, If You Don't Tell They Won't Ask. That was my experience while talking about all kinds of things that were at a minimum agnostic.

I admit I have not looked at all the canned material here but I have seen at least four posts from young atheists looking for what I might call a support group. While the greatest value of a support group is stimply knowing one is not alone it may be possible to create a useful collection of material for those recently liberated from theism. They got that far on their own as we all did. Is there something that can be organized? Even Alcoholics Anonymous has reading material.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
lily090 wrote: This is my

lily090 wrote:

Your country is probably decades behind in accepting atheists. But do no think discrimination here in the states doesn't happen, it most certainly does, and will still have a handfull of states who have in their Constitution(state) that atheists cannot hold public office.

Conversely though, I am concerned with Britain's attitude in "hate speech". They wont allow Micheal Savage, "Conservitive radio host" in the country. That is the type of political correctness that will benifit fundementalists, not free speech.

In any case, most of us here know, unless they live in a majority atheist community, most here have had at a minimum dirtly looks. Some are still in the closet, maybe at work or with their families. But all of us have to some degree seen the bigotry towards atheists. Just know that you are not alone.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:Did you

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

What a terrifying vision.

Awelton85
Superfan
Awelton85's picture
User is offlineOffline
I made it all the way to

I made it all the way to "schlorping" before vodka came from my nose/tear ducts. Bravo sir, bravo.

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Don't hide, who cares about

Don't hide, who cares about the opinion of others. And if they try to harm you, just shoot them between the eyes. Smiling