Christians in Birmingham (UK)

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Christians in Birmingham (UK)

I've recently moved to Birmingham (UK) from London and I've been shocked by how many nut job chrisitans there are wandering around on the street trying to preach.

I've lived in London 30 years and I don't think I've ever been approached by one but I'm seeing in 2-3 times a week up here.

Anyway I was in such shock when one approached me the other day I just couldnt keep quite to the shock of my girlfriend.

Christian: Do you accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour

Me: I don't , I also think you are peddling evil which is all that christainty as ever sold

Christiain : Why do you say this?, looking a little shocked

Me : your myths attack rationality and human progress, you promote hate and ignorance, you damage children and damage human beings by denying our nature. You promote unnatural sexual practices

Christians : now very confused, we promote unnatural sexual practices, like what?

Me : Sex is part of being human and by telling people to restrain from it before marriage you are as bad as paedophiles (thinking back on that there is some truth on that but maybe I exaggerated a bit).

Christian : Where do you get this ideas from?

Me : Education and thinking for myself

Christian :  I hope your education and thinking for yourself makes me happy

---------------------

I think when dealing with the god squad using science and logic is a waste of time and it can be a little dull. But accussing christians of peddling evil the very thing in their deluded little minds they think they are trying to save me from really does confuse and upset them, ie the Hitchens approach can be far better in a debate than the Dawkins one who can assume everyone he is talking to is at least 50% as intelligent as he is Smiling

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Brummie buddy, I live

Hey Brummie buddy, I live there too!

Christians and Scientologists seem to be locked in a neverending battle for that soapbox in the sweet spot towards the top of New Street, lol

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Not sure I count as a

Not sure I count as a brummie yet, been here about 3 weeks. Moved in with my girlfriend who I couldnt persuad to move to London due to me having a pokey flat.

However I had to give up my job to come here so its very stressful job hunting and finding some intellectual conversation. Brummie humanists seem pretty good through

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
hehe, I'm from New Zealand,

hehe, I'm from New Zealand, so I don't think I can ever count as a Brummie either.

Best of luck finding a job, it's got to be difficult at the moment.  What field/industry are you in?

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
I work(ed) in IT

I work(ed) in IT server/email support generally but looking for anything at the moment including desktop support. Job hunting is hard doesnt help that I dont really drive. I have a license but hadnt driven since passing my test 15 years ago so lots of refresher lessons (dont need a car in London but Brum is different)

In the next few years hoping to career change to Life Sciences, studying at the Open Uni at the moment and hope to go back to full time academia eventually at the grand age of 40 (37 at the moment)

How did a kiwi end up in Brum, dont they all head to Earls Court London Smiling

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
I work(ed) in IT

I work(ed) in IT server/email support generally but looking for anything at the moment including desktop support. Job hunting is hard doesnt help that I dont really drive. I have a license but hadnt driven since passing my test 15 years ago so lots of refresher lessons (dont need a car in London but Brum is different)

In the next few years hoping to career change to Life Sciences, studying at the Open Uni at the moment and hope to go back to full time academia eventually at the grand age of 40 (37 at the moment)

How did a kiwi end up in Brum, dont they all head to Earls Court London Smiling

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought Acton Town was the

I thought Acton Town was the cliche spot for us NZers!

Lots of reasons really... Birmingham had a way cheaper cost of living, yet was still a big city, way less crowded than London, I hate the tube and all the black gunk you have to dig out of your nose after riding on it makes me scared for my lungs, reasonably quick rail links to London for those things that only London provide, and there's a great brazilian jiu jitsu club here.

I've been here for 4 and a half years now, and am currently renting a place right in the centre of the city, with my wife, within walking distance to work.   It really is the best thing ever not having to deal with a commute in the morning!

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Is that Brazillian ju jitsu

Is that Brazillian ju jitsu club in Washwood heath in a church?

Passed one the other day.

Does central Brum have any work, havent manged to find a business district there just shops

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nah, the one I went to is in

Nah, the one I went to is in Acocks Green.

Yeah, I agree, central does seem to be all shops, not much white collar business type stuff.