Life's little mysteries

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Life's little mysteries

Why is there an "S" in the word lisp?

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

If the temperature is zero otuside today and it's going to be twice as cold tomorrow, how cold will it be?

Why do you drive on parkways and park on driveways?

If "pro" is the opposite of "con" then wouldn't congress be the opposite of progress?

If blind people wear sunglasses, why don't deaf people wear ear muffs?

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Why is

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Irony.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Testicle.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

If the temperature is zero otuside today and it's going to be twice as cold tomorrow, how cold will it be?

Fucking cold.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

That is definitely weird.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

If "pro" is the opposite of "con" then wouldn't congress be the opposite of progress?

Only if it's a Republican majority.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

What did you say?

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Balkoth
User is offlineOffline

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

English is pretty weird at times.

Quote:

Just get a room with Kevin already.

Quote:

136.5 degrees Kelvin.

Quote:

I park on the street or in a garage.

Quote:

No, because they conduce the growing of produce.

Quote:

They certainly do if it's twice as cold as it was yesterday.

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Why is

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

To piss off the Spanish.

Quote:

Testicular. Believe me, they're really testy.

Quote:

OO

Quote:

Because it's fun to be confused.

Quote:

Similarly, wouldn't 'convivial' mean 'against fun?'

Quote:

Because deaf ears don't scare the straights. The eyes of blind people- at least those who don't train themselves to look like they're not blind- do. I know that was an actual answer, but, what the hell.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

To make fun of people with lisp?

Quote:

Testicle.

Quote:

Based on the math or the motion of particles?

Quote:

Technically, you could park on parkways and drive on driveways.

Quote:

Sometimes.

Quote:

They don't? Hehe.

You should ask "real" difficult questions, instead of just questions based on semantics, like why is there is braille on drive through ATMs?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why do doctors call what

Why do doctors call what they do "practice"?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
MichaelMcF wrote:Why do

MichaelMcF wrote:

Why do doctors call what they do "practice"?

"Practice" and "practise" are two different words.

To PRACTISE something is to do it over and over in order to improve. I think this is the one you are all thinking of. Practise is a VERB.

A PRACTICE is the work of a professional person, or the process of carrying an idea. This word is a NOUN.

Frequently misused words in the U.S. tend to end up being accepted as misused. This is one case of that.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Alan, the answer is: "Who

Alan, the answer is:

"Who was George Carlin?"

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I've wondered about this myself. And, I don't think it could have anything to do with the Spanish... because Espana (pretend that was an en~e...) has an s as well, so they did that to themthelveth.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I hate when things are "twice as small" or "three times cheaper"... what does that mean!??!

If X is twice as cheap as Y, does that mean that 2*cost of X = cost of Y, or that there is some reference item Z such that cost of Z - cost of X = 2*(cost of Z = cost of Y)?

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Funny. Smiling But it's probably because your ears don't randomly track  non-existence sounds. I figure the sunglasses were because the sighted might be bothered by seeing the blind person's eyes rolled back or drifting around randomly, or whatever. Maybe a society of anthropomorphic cats would have deaf cats wear earmuffs to cover their ears if they randomly pointed about.

Some good questions, Cap't.

-Triften

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:"Practice"

ClockCat wrote:

"Practice" and "practise" are two different words.

To PRACTISE something is to do it over and over in order to improve. I think this is the one you are all thinking of. Practise is a VERB.

A PRACTICE is the work of a professional person, or the process of carrying an idea. This word is a NOUN.

Frequently misused words in the U.S. tend to end up being accepted as misused. This is one case of that.

Which is all well and good in the US of A, but those of us on the other side of the pond that use English-English have the same spelling for both definitions, making the play on words work in the spoken format as well as the written one.

In future I'd thank you for not assuming I'm American

M

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

Balkoth
User is offlineOffline
Actually, we typically use

Actually, we typically use practice as in "I practiced a musical instrument" in America as far as I know.  The Oxford English Dictionary doesn't seem to care all that much either.

http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/50186009?query_type=word&queryword=practice&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_plac...

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

God.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Testilicious.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

If "warm" is 20, and "cool" is 10, and "cold" starts at zero, then I'd say -10.

Fuzzy math, baby.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

To consider this question seriously, we'll need to consult Joe Momma.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Actually, egress is the new progress. You didn't get the memo, I guess.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Because one of its legs is both the same.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why isn't "palindrome"

Why isn't "palindrome" spelled the same forwards as backwards?

People just like it better that way.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Why do

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

What the fuck is a parkway? I have never heard that term before...

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:What the

spike.barnett wrote:

Uhm, Utopia Parkway? Fountains of Wayne? C'mon! You should know your power pop better than that. It's only one of the best albums of the last 15 years.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold

nigelTheBold wrote:

spike.barnett wrote:

Uhm, Utopia Parkway? Fountains of Wayne? C'mon! You should know your power pop better than that. It's only one of the best albums of the last 15 years.

????????

What are you talking about? I have no clue.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

MySpace

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett

spike.barnett wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

????????

Sorry. Just an album that references a "Parkway." Utopia Parkway is a long road in New York City. It's also the name of a Fountains of Wayne album (which I referenced for humor's sake). I'm not sure why they call roads parkways, other than they might go by parks. But I know of several, from New York City to Anchorage, Alaska. You drive on 'em.

Gallagher (the watermellon-smashing very unfunny comedian) used that line in his routine, years and years ago: "Can someone tell me why you park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?" It wasn't funny then; it's no funnier now.

But Utopia Parkway really is a good album.

[EDIT addendum]

That is, it's a good album if you like power pop. Y'know, Matthew Sweet, Crowded House, School of Fish, Switchfoot (for those pseudo-spiritual folks out there), Jason Faulkner, and so on.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold

nigelTheBold wrote:

spike.barnett wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

????????

Sorry. Just an album that references a "Parkway." Utopia Parkway is a long road in New York City. It's also the name of a Fountains of Wayne album (which I referenced for humor's sake). I'm not sure why they call roads parkways, other than they might go by parks. But I know of several, from New York City to Anchorage, Alaska. You drive on 'em.

LOL I got the joke, just never heard the term. I actually pieced together the meaning by the context right after I read it. I'm just trying to be funny.

nigelTheBold wrote:

That is, it's a good album if you like power pop. Y'know, Matthew Sweet, Crowded House, School of Fish, Switchfoot (for those pseudo-spiritual folks out there), Jason Faulkner, and so on.

Never heard of any of them. I'm a metal head myself. I listen to that ear-bleed music.

MySpace

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
If there is an exception to

If there is an exception to every rule, then what is the exception to the rule that there is an exception to every rule?

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
* head scratch*

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

If there is an exception to every rule, then what is the exception to the rule that there is an exception to every rule?

E=MC2     And while we are at it;  what is the sound of one hand clapping?     If someone plays the bagpipe really really great-- how can you tell?     What if Adam was gay?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:If there

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Its self?

What Would Kharn Do?

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:And while we

Jeffrick wrote:

And while we are at it;  what is the sound of one hand clapping?

Done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpwk3eSE160 once it finishes going through youtube's processing.

-Triften