Very Superstitious ...

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
Very Superstitious ...

You've heard it before...

"You know, ... I just had a dream about so and so, that I've not heard from in 10 years, and 2 days later I got a letter from her!" "There's definitely ESP, or some not understood 6th sense, like telepathy over immeasurable distances."

As a dedicated Atheist, and believer in science, and the Scentific Method, I don't have to tell you what I think of that. Well here's another story...

2 days ago, I get a call in the late afternoon from my recently divorced ex-wife's brother... "Hi, Treat2, it's so and so."I say "Yeah, wazzup?" (I already know, since my ex-wife was in a horrendous car accident 8 months ago, on a ventilator, part of her brain was dead. etc., etc.)

He says: "XXX died."
I say: "Ok."

(FYI. The reason for my response and the rest of the conversation I'm not getting into.)

Anyway, ... At the time of the call I was at a friend's apartment, after having helping him do several errands via my car, since he has a broken leg and is unable to drive. --- We used the car all day long, starting and stopping. Turning the car engine off and on. No problem. Plenty of gas.

So, the ex-brother in-law says, "She died at such and such hospital this morning and I'm leaving now, and just calling to give you the address, if you wanted to go. And to let you know."

I thank him, and during a short conversation lete him know I "had my closure" months ago. (Again, I'm not going to explain what happened or why. And let him know I've no desire to go to the hospital, but very much appreciated the call, as her existence and "state" a few days after the car accident was intentionally hidden from me.)

Subsequently, having done plenty of work and driving a suggest to my friend that we grab a bite to eat, and he agrees.

We go outside. I put the keys in the ignition and all that happens is the starter moter turns over, and starts the main car engine which then immediately dies not more than 1 second later.

End of story.

Now, for the supertitious monkeys out there... That was the curse of my ex-wife. Her immortal soul avenged my not having gone to see her dead body at the hospital.

Yeah right. Next, I'll be posting the Hand of God! (Rather, a view of my hands.) Further empirical evidence of my Godly existence and immeasurable power.

Care to share any idiotic crap about our Internet of immortal souls, as related by friendly chimps?

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heh. Ever notice these acts

Heh. Ever notice these acts of vengance by immortal souls offended by the acts of the living are incredibly petty?

Let's lift a glass and toast the law of large numbers, shall we?

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Heh. Ever

JillSwift wrote:

Heh. Ever notice these acts of vengance by immortal souls offended by the acts of the living are incredibly petty?

Large numbers. I don't believe in math...square root of -1. What crap. (Complex numbers my ass.)

BTW. I'm picking up some voices in my head... maybe from Mars. Need to find a wet rag... back after traversing the rings of Saturn.

Actually, I find the show "Supernatural" very entertaining.
Lines like "Are all you Angels a bunch of dicks?!"
or a demon in one episode responding to Sam or Dean, with something like "We've got a special place reserved for Dick Cheney."

Screw immortality. This one life is about all I can and would ever want to handle.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:JillSwift

treat2 wrote:
JillSwift wrote:

Large numbers. I don't believe in math...square root of -1. What crap. (Complex numbers my ass.) BTW. I'm picking up some voices in my head... maybe from Mars. Need to find a wet rag... back after traversing the rings of Saturn. Actually, I find the show "Supernatural" very entertaining. Lines like "Are all you Angels a bunch of dicks?!" or a demon in one episode responding to Sam or Dean, with something like "We've got a special place reserved for Dick Cheney." Screw immortality. This one life is about all I can and would ever want to handle.

Hey don't knock complex math - as someone who spent a significant portion of my life in Electrical Engineering, I can assure you complex math is extremely useful.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I'd rather take 30 Amps at

I'd rather take 30 Amps at 120V.

(Yeah, I know complex math.)

Fuck! I've been goddamn stranded 50 miles from where I live
in a buddy's apartment sleeping on his couch, and I haven't taken a shit in 4 (going on 5 days).

Now I'm drinking a strong Wiskey to wisk me off towards sleep. This is fucked.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:I'd rather take

treat2 wrote:
I'd rather take 30 Amps at 120V. (Yeah, I know complex math.) Fuck! I've been goddamn stranded 50 miles from where I live in a buddy's apartment sleeping on his couch, and I haven't taken a shit in 4 (going on 5 days). Now I'm drinking a strong Wiskey to wisk me off towards sleep. This is fucked.

Alcohol interferes with sleep

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
lol.I recently had a drawn

lol.

I recently had a drawn out discussion while playing poker online with a friend. She was attempting to insist that with multiple occurrances in her life, when someone she knew died, a loud knock was heard by her and in some cases others as well. It ended with her admission that she couldn't prove it, as people who claim such things can never do.

I've heard variations on the theme, but it always ends the same.

I've even had a dream that came true once. But I have as good an idea as anyone (perhaps better than anyone) as to what your mind is capable of while asleep. I'd need a hell of a lot more than a single dream that happened to happen for real to even begin to consider the possibility that I'd actually seen the future, instead of one dream out of billions of them happening to come true by chance.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:treat2

JillSwift wrote:

treat2 wrote:
I'd rather take 30 Amps at 120V. (Yeah, I know complex math.) Fuck! I've been goddamn stranded 50 miles from where I live in a buddy's apartment sleeping on his couch, and I haven't taken a shit in 4 (going on 5 days). Now I'm drinking a strong Wiskey to wisk me off towards sleep. This is fucked.

Alcohol interferes with sleep

Thanks. I know. It doesn't matter for a few days, I'm exhausted anyway, and am reasonably certain I'm getting outta here tomorrow. I've had my fill of drinking days, and rarely even touch the stuff, as I had plenty of experience with it decades ago.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
My grandfather died. Some

My grandfather died. Some time later (months, years? I don't remember) my mother was at his house, where the grandma still lives. There, she heard a melody, like played by a cheap, electronic trinket which is put into some cheap toys or something like that. She didn't think much about it. Then she went to our house, and there she heard that melody once again. Whatever could play it at the grandma's house, couldn't just get taken with her to our house.

A clairvoyant woman we knew at the time confirmed, that it was a sign from the dead grandpa, to let us know how he's OK and how he loves us, etc. (personally we'd prefer if he would stay where he was) It would actually give a sense, because it was a cheesy melody and grandpa was a very cheesy man Smiling

We had also a lot of strange events which are not related to anyone dead. For example, I had a pendant, with a symbol of so-called "atlantean ring". I once took it to a swimming pool. There I went to the highest diving platform and from there I jumped. When I got out of the water, the pendant was gone. It was made of solid stainless steel which couldn't break and the leather lace I had it on was still on my neck and completely intact. I don't know what to think about it. Perhaps they did put too much of chlorine into the water.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

FreeHugMachine
FreeHugMachine's picture
User is offlineOffline
Facepalm

Luminon wrote:

My grandfather died. Some time later (months, years? I don't remember) my mother was at his house, where the grandma still lives. There, she heard a melody, like played by a cheap, electronic trinket which is put into some cheap toys or something like that. She didn't think much about it. Then she went to our house, and there she heard that melody once again. Whatever could play it at the grandma's house, couldn't just get taken with her to our house.

A clairvoyant woman we knew at the time confirmed, that it was a sign from the dead grandpa, to let us know how he's OK and how he loves us, etc. (personally we'd prefer if he would stay where he was) It would actually give a sense, because it was a cheesy melody and grandpa was a very cheesy man Smiling

We had also a lot of strange events which are not related to anyone dead. For example, I had a pendant, with a symbol of so-called "atlantean ring". I once took it to a swimming pool. There I went to the highest diving platform and from there I jumped. When I got out of the water, the pendant was gone. It was made of solid stainless steel which couldn't break and the leather lace I had it on was still on my neck and completely intact. I don't know what to think about it. Perhaps they did put too much of chlorine into the water.

When I was 6 I was pretending to do magic and lost.. I mean magicked a nickle out of existence.  I searched my entire room for weeks and couldn't find the nickle.  I now consider myself magical as it was the only explanation.

Reading luminon hurts my brain Sad

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
FreeHugMachine wrote:When I

FreeHugMachine wrote:

When I was 6 I was pretending to do magic and lost.. I mean magicked a nickle out of existence.  I searched my entire room for weeks and couldn't find the nickle.  I now consider myself magical as it was the only explanation.

Reading luminon hurts my brain Sad

I'm sorry. You're right, the explanation with 'too much chlorine in water' for disappearing of a metallic pendant is really crazy.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

FreeHugMachine
FreeHugMachine's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:I'm sorry.

Luminon wrote:

I'm sorry. You're right, the explanation with 'too much chlorine in water' for disappearing of a metallic pendant is really crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPqerbz8KDc

Do you think I'm magic? 

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Carl Jung was "big" on this

Carl Jung was "big" on this stuff. Dreams of stuff that happen, gut feelings of something that happened in some other location which he soon learned of, etc., etc.

Despite the fact that I don't
believe in any of the garbage about ESP, telepathy, etc.

He did write one of thr most enjoyable books (an autobiography) that I read in all of my college days (way back).. even if you don't believe any of the Jjungian shit, and the rest of it, the book "Memories, Dreams, and Reflections" is a very enjoyable read.

I recommend it an enjoyable diversion, and because it is thought provoking, as well.

BTW. I looked at my earlier post and despite being a horrendous speller, I got a kick out of my spelling of "Wisky" in a post above.
Anyway, it's good to finally be home again after 6 days of
sleeping on a buddy's couch, while my car was being repaired. --- As I'm now on a PDA, unlike the past week, my
posts will appear at a much slower pace.(That should be a cause for celebration for most folks here. I know.)

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
FreeHugMachine

FreeHugMachine wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPqerbz8KDc

Do you think I'm magic? 

The video is very clear about the subject and it has a lot of truth. But at the same time, it seems very trivial, compared to the practice. I consider it as a matter of a common sense to filter out an uncertain events and memories. We must do that, or we would embarass ourselves not only in front of others (here it's sure anyway) but also as for ourselves. Our group, people who are interested in esoteric study for a half of their lives or more, have this lesson well learned, so well that it is very trivial to us. We only take seriously things which are either absolutely sure (direct experience, multiple witnesses, etc) or these which are supported by theory, witnesses, and other similar events.
Most of people's perception and memory is faulty, but ours is supposed to be trained and perfected for years. We can not afford such a trivial mistakes, it is our serious concern to differ between a common phenomena and those not so common. We know there can be both cases, so we need to find out which one it is (without any preference) or declare that we don't know.  We also should not be dogmatic about that statement, because we cannot see for other people. The result is providing our information. If it confirms someone's independent observations, that's good. Remember, an esotericist has no authority outside of his domain, which is a disadvantage, compared to a scientist. The goal is thus not necessarily to convince everyone, it is usually about opening their mind to a possibility of things they didn't thought to be possible.

Of course, most of the New Age movement and it's groups is an example of imperfect seeing the world, thus there is a lesser or greater degree of glamour - emotional illusion. We work for years to purge ourselves of the glamours they have and which we see around. Glamour is a deadly global problem and every good esotericist takes care to warn the students about it.