Frustrating Finding: GE Crops Are Not Significantly Increasing Yields in the United States

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Frustrating Finding: GE Crops Are Not Significantly Increasing Yields in the United States

Goddammit!

The Union of Concerned Scientists have published the results of a 20 year long study that has found no significant increase in crop yields for farmers using GE Crops (in the interest of full disclosure, the UCS is an organization that, from it's inception, has been critical of GE crop use; I don't agree with much of what they hav to say on the topic, however, the report itself seems fairly sound and went through peer review).

Corn Borer resistant corn (Bt Corn) does net higher yields (which should come as little surprise), but unfortunately, crops with 'built in' herbicides are demonstrating a gaping flaw in their design philosophy that I just can't believe I didn't think of earlier:

The weeds they've been designed to fight against are becoming tolerant to the herbicides.

Damn you Charles Darwin! Damn you to Hell!!!

Sticking out tongue

...More seriously, this opens up a can of worms: it follows that if weeds develop tolerance over time to herbicides, insect pests (like the Corn Borer) are likely to also begin to develop tolerances to the GE crops designed to combat them. In the short term perspective, this is problematic because our GE crops now look like they won't be able to attain the larger yields we want in order to keep everyone fed at a low price. In the long term... we perhaps are going to run into a situation somewhat similar to that of antibiotics, incidentally creating populations of crop pests that are immune to a large part of our anti-pest arsenal.

*Sigh*

Can't we just get a break?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
WHERE WILL I GET MY HFC

WHERE WILL I GET MY HFC PRODUCTS NOW?!

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Life Running

out of control. Here's a good documentary on the subject of GMO's video.google.com/videoplay       and then there is Dr.Vandana Shiva  current.com/topics/88793829_dr-vandana-shiva/ she wrote a very important book called "Earth's Democracy"

Signature ? How ?

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Most GM crops are either

Most GM crops are either banned or heavily controlled in Europe. Which either means the EU is following dodgy science and possible trade protection (through there are plenty of EU biotech companies) or people in the US are eating a lot of very unsafe food.

I have no idea which is true but I find it amazing its not a bigger issue in the US (the food you eat is a million times more important than abortion, gay marriages or even the economy)

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:Most GM crops

mrjonno wrote:

Most GM crops are either banned or heavily controlled in Europe. Which either means the EU is following dodgy science and possible trade protection (through there are plenty of EU biotech companies) or people in the US are eating a lot of very unsafe food.

I have no idea which is true but I find it amazing its not a bigger issue in the US (the food you eat is a million times more important than abortion, gay marriages or even the economy)

I wouldn't say the EU is trusting dodgy science or that the US are eating very unsafe food. The EU is just being more cautous. Although from what I have read, none of the GM crops eaten by people in the USA are particular unsafe or have been proven unsafe. Let me put it this way, they are safer than Mc Donalds. That isn't saying much but still. They should be labeled though, Im not sure if they are in America.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
All I'm saying is 500

All I'm saying is 500 million people banned the sale of food that you eat every day I would either be angry (trade protectionism) or would be scared that I was eating something unsafe.

Its just not something I could stay neutral on, it really shows how the media leads debate , it really does make moralising of stem cell research look very trivial

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:I have no idea

mrjonno wrote:
Clearly nothing! is worse than gay marriages!

-Awesome find, Kevin.  I mean, not awesomely-cool, but importantly-awesome.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Where are you getting the

Where are you getting the "unsafe" thing?  The link in the OP is about crop yield, not food safety.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fuck genetically-engineered

Fuck genetically-engineered crops. They are about one thing and one thing only:

Control

Mansanto can now sell GE seed to farmers, who are then unable to replant their own seed. (Not that farmers typically grow their own seed, but that's not the real point here.) In fact, if wind blows GE seed from one farm to another, the second farm is then legally bound to destroy the blow-over, or face getting sued by Mansanto.

This whole patenting of genetics has gotten way out of control. I'm not against GE crops in general; I'm just against the corporate control of GE crops. (Yes, farming is largely a big-corporation thing too; but right now, I have several farmers in the [distant] family, none of which work directly for a big corporation.)

As for the resistance-building: it seems like a natural thing (no pun intended). I mean, we've known for years that anti-bacterials result in bacteria that are resistant, which in turn results in anti-bacterials becoming simply reclassified as "smelly chemicals." The same seems trivially true for genetically-engineered resistances.

Anyway, sorry about my rant. That's just a whole big can o' worms for me. "Intellectual property" is becoming the second-most dangerous thing to society, after only gay marriage.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
 nigelTheBold wrote:Fuck

nigelTheBold wrote:

Fuck genetically-engineered crops. They are about one thing and one thing only:

Control

Mansanto can now sell GE seed to farmers, who are then unable to replant their own seed. (Not that farmers typically grow their own seed, but that's not the real point here.) In fact, if wind blows GE seed from one farm to another, the second farm is then legally bound to destroy the blow-over, or face getting sued by Mansanto.

This whole patenting of genetics has gotten way out of control. I'm not against GE crops in general; I'm just against the corporate control of GE crops. (Yes, farming is largely a big-corporation thing too; but right now, I have several farmers in the [distant] family, none of which work directly for a big corporation.)

As for the resistance-building: it seems like a natural thing (no pun intended). I mean, we've known for years that anti-bacterials result in bacteria that are resistant, which in turn results in anti-bacterials becoming simply reclassified as "smelly chemicals." The same seems trivially true for genetically-engineered resistances.

Anyway, sorry about my rant. That's just a whole big can o' worms for me. "Intellectual property" is becoming the second-most dangerous thing to society, after only gay marriage.

One thing you forgot to mention, For many of these crops it is almost impossible to tell the difference between GM and non GM and the farmers are still  held responsible weather there is a visable differance or not, how on earth are they ment to know what to destroy if there is no visable differance? I won't lie this is really a stuffed up issue. Btw the fact that thier is bascaly no yeild increase is old news. In fertile areas it is natural that there wouldn't be a big increase, there is only so much you can grow on a peice of land. It is in places that are not normally suitable for farming that GM crops are ment to thrive. 

All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
As much as I'm against

As much as I'm against patents in a general sense, I am horrified that they are put into use on living beings. This will go nowhere good.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hmmm... I'm wondering why

Hmmm... I'm wondering why anyone would be surprised that:

1) The principles of natural selection work

and

2) The principles of game theory work.

... and people wonder why I'm pessimistic about humanity's future.  Duh.  I just do the math, kids.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote: Where

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Where are you getting the "unsafe" thing?  The link in the OP is about crop yield, not food safety.  

Europe (EU) around 500 million people have banned/restricted GM food as potentially unsafe, crop yields really are a somewhat minor matter

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Europe (EU) around

Quote:
Europe (EU) around 500 million people have banned/restricted GM food as potentially unsafe

Where are the peer-reviewed science reports concluding that GM food is potentially unsafe?  What does "potentially unsafe" mean?  If it were scientific, wouldn't it be something like "In X% of Y population, M genetically modified food is correlated with N health hazard"?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're using the wrong

You're using the wrong framework. History has established that mucking with our food can be dangerous, and that the dangerous effects may not show up for many many years: Ie: pesticide use.

Hence it is logical to assume that mucking with food can be dangerous. Hence it is logical to ensure that mucking with food isn't dangerous before allowing its widespread use. Hence it is logical to ban the use of untested products.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:You're using the

Quote:
You're using the wrong framework. History has established that mucking with our food can be dangerous, and that the dangerous effects may not show up for many many years: Ie: pesticide use.

Hence it is logical to assume that mucking with food can be dangerous. Hence it is logical to ensure that mucking with food isn't dangerous before allowing its widespread use. Hence it is logical to ban the use of untested products.

But that's a bad analogy.  A chemical pesticide is not a genetically modified food.  It's a chemical addative, not a genetic variation.

Books about atheism

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:You're using

Vastet wrote:

The thing is, each new GM crop are tested, they are tested and tested and tested. You know when people say GM crops aren't even tested? It is basically a lie. What they mean to say is they have been tested far more than any other food. By unsafe it doesn't mean people will start vommiting blood 20 years after they have a bite to eat for some unkown reason. They mean cancer causing agents etc. but I get the feeling the people who shout about this like the impresion they give. makes it seem different from the rest of our food. I have met quite a few people who have been given the completely wrong impression by these people, duno if you have. Also a frighting amount of the food we eat do the exact same things people think GM crops do. I have put a link at the bottom that give a list of food additives and where you find them, take a look through them and see what you eat. take a look at salt for example. Am I saying that I am 100% sure they are safe? no but the evidance so far seems to suggest they are.

http://www.cspinet.org/reports/chemcuisine.htm

All animals are equal.

FreeHugMachine
FreeHugMachine's picture
User is offlineOffline
I want my Soylent Green

I want my Soylent Green already!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

But that's a bad analogy.  A chemical pesticide is not a genetically modified food.  It's a chemical addative, not a genetic variation.

I completely disagree. Manipulating the genetic structure of a life form is taking the risk of introducing a harmful substance by accident. We are a long way from knowing how every gene works, and genetic changes can make immense differences in final product.

It is possible that these foods being discussed have been sufficiently tested, I wouldn't know one way or the other. But taking precautions is perfectly logical when making changes to one of the single most necessary resources to our species.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:DamnDirtyApe

mrjonno wrote:

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Europe (EU) around 500 million people have banned/restricted GM food as potentially unsafe, crop yields really are a somewhat minor matter

OP ain't just the role made famous by Ron Howard, mrjonno.  But saying that, you are completely correct on one point; it was the people of Europe at large that restricted GM food.  The scientists of Europe were quite likely not consulted.  A comparable thing happens here in the US when creationist yokels elect a school board who go on to demand that teachers teach the "strengths and weaknesses" of evolutionary theory.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Hambydammit

Vastet wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I completely disagree. Manipulating the genetic structure of a life form is taking the risk of introducing a harmful substance by accident. We are a long way from knowing how every gene works, and genetic changes can make immense differences in final product.

It is possible that these foods being discussed have been sufficiently tested, I wouldn't know one way or the other. But taking precautions is perfectly logical when making changes to one of the single most necessary resources to our species.

Let's talk about terms here.  I know I'm only a molecular biologist, but the "genetic structure" of a "life form" sounds like pretty mushy language to me.  To take the example of the Cry toxins encoded in Bt corn, what you have is a strain of Zea mays, complete with the normal 10 chromosomes, one of which has had added to it a gene that produces a toxin that we already spray on lots of vegetable crops.  This toxin is nasty for insect pests but it only becomes toxic when it encounters an alkaline pH in the insect gut; my gut and your gut and your neighbor's dog's gut is acidic and therefore, a Cry toxin cannot do diddly shit to us.  

But of course, there is the possibility that a Cry toxin could somehow react with compounds within the cytoplasm of your corn plant and make some kind of new toxic substance, I suppose.  However, this possibility becomes vanishingly unlikely when one considers that Cry toxins form near chemically inert crystals when in a pH neutral environment like vegetable cytoplasm.  This is certainly good for corn, because the origin of this toxin is Bacillus thuringiensis, a soil bacterium that has lived all over corn plants since they started to shoot up.

--Bertrand Russell

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Don't bother them with

Don't bother them with science, DamnDirtyApe.  They've seen all the sci-fi shows, and read all the books.  Genetically modifying stuff makes it into big blobs of brain-eating protoplasmic goo.

We're all going to grow talking mutants from our chests.  Any day now.

Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Don't

Hambydammit wrote:

Don't bother them with science, DamnDirtyApe.  They've seen all the sci-fi shows, and read all the books.  Genetically modifying stuff makes it into big blobs of brain-eating protoplasmic goo.

Well, the marketing department is actually set on calling them "Cunnilingus/Fellatio Proxies".  We're arranging for one of the Fox News Blondes to grow one by mid-summer; it's quite a coup...

I should be quiet.

--Bertrand Russell

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's evidence that

There's evidence that genetically modified food may be unsafe. I for one would like to have proof that something is safe before I eat it instead of lack of proof that it's unsafe anyway.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:There's

Gauche wrote:

There's evidence that genetically modified food may be unsafe. I for one would like to have proof that something is safe before I eat it instead of lack of proof that it's unsafe anyway.

Papers?  Links?  I'm really not trying to be a dick here, but just stating that "evidence" exists is not the tactic of a rationalist.

--Bertrand Russell

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
The abstract is certainly

The abstract is certainly interesting, though I can't find the full text (or any mention of the paper) on PubMed, so I'm wondering where they published (I don't see a journal title either).  I wouldn't make a judgment on Bt corn being dangerous without some more evidence.  Ten or so articles pointing to that kind of thing in refereed literature (and in English--like it or not, it's the language of science right now) would be a good start.  Also, the site containing the abstract is hardly neutral on the subject of GM crops, though that's a side issue, admittedly.

The point that seems to be ignored from the OP is that GM crops may not increase crop yields sufficiently in any case, which actually is an interesting development.  The question of whether GM crops are dangerous to consume is moot if they don't provide a higher yield consistent with a higher cost to the grower.

--Bertrand Russell

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:The aim of the study

Quote:
The aim of the study was to examine effects of the stacked GM crop NK603 x MON810 in different models of long term feeding studies. So far no negative effects of GM corn varieties have been reported in peer-reviewed publications. But the hypothesis, that effects after long term exposure might become evident in multi-generation studies has rarely been investigated.

Yes I know it they go on to say lower birth rates or whatever. however I draw your attention to

Quote:
The RACB trial showed time related negative reproductive effects of the GM maize under the given experimental conditions.

No clue what those conidtions are, it is irrelevant more testing does need to be done on this type of maize if these are the results.

Btw is transgenic maize NK603xMON810 in our food supply?

All animals are equal.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:The

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

The abstract is certainly interesting, though I can't find the full text (or any mention of the paper) on PubMed, so I'm wondering where they published (I don't see a journal title either).  I wouldn't make a judgment on Bt corn being dangerous without some more evidence.  Ten or so articles pointing to that kind of thing in refereed literature (and in English--like it or not, it's the language of science right now) would be a good start.  Also, the site containing the abstract is hardly neutral on the subject of GM crops, though that's a side issue, admittedly.

The point that seems to be ignored from the OP is that GM crops may not increase crop yields sufficiently in any case, which actually is an interesting development.  The question of whether GM crops are dangerous to consume is moot if they don't provide a higher yield consistent with a higher cost to the grower.

So the tactic of a rationalist is to play down the fact that two types of corn that are being grown ubiquitously throughout the earth have been shown to cause sterility in laboratory animals?

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Hmmm... I'm wondering

Quote:
Hmmm... I'm wondering why anyone would be surprised that:

1) The principles of natural selection work

Well, in my defense, it's not that I was surprised that natural selection happens to work. I just hadn't really thought about it (and apparently I wasn't the only one). Sticking out tongue

As regards GE food safety:

GE crops are almost certainly more healthy (even if they do carry health hazards, and I've yet to see a comprehensive report suggesting that they do) than starving to death, which is what's happening in many African countries that ban their import. On a related note, the EU's reluctance to use Bt Corn has led them to see huge failures of corn crops due to Corn Borer infestation. So, is it better to speculate that Bt Corn maybe perhaps has some undesirable impact on your health that we don't know about despite the most rigorous testing we've ever done on foods and then deal with massive inefficies in harvesting caused by pests? Or is it better to trust the experts who develop the food and (at least temporarily) stall-out the Corn Borer problems?

(Now, that's only dealing with the safety issue. A bigger concern that I see as a result of this study would be: what do we do when/if the bugs become resistant to Bt Corn's defenses?)

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:So the tactic of a

Quote:
So the tactic of a rationalist is to play down the fact that two types of corn that are being grown ubiquitously throughout the earth have been shown to cause sterility in laboratory animals?

I think DDA's point (and I'll throw my hat in the ring here, too) is that it hasn't been shown to cause sterility. One abstract from one experiment does not demonstrate something conclusively; particularly if the study wasn't peer reviewed before being published.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I think DDA's point

Quote:
I think DDA's point (and I'll throw my hat in the ring here, too) is that it hasn't been shown to cause sterility. One abstract from one experiment does not demonstrate something conclusively; particularly if the study wasn't peer reviewed before being published.

Exactly.

Plus, to be perfectly honest, I think it would probably be a good thing if humans ate more food that causes sterility.  There's an awful damn lot of us.

Books about atheism

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Quote:I

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
I think DDA's point (and I'll throw my hat in the ring here, too) is that it hasn't been shown to cause sterility. One abstract from one experiment does not demonstrate something conclusively; particularly if the study wasn't peer reviewed before being published.

Exactly.

Plus, to be perfectly honest, I think it would probably be a good thing if humans ate more food that causes sterility.  There's an awful damn lot of us.

That's a really disgusting sentiment. The food people and the animals we eat consume is such an important issue it's surprising to me that anyone would make light of such a thing. Certainly the findings of that study could be wrong I never said it was proof. I just wanted to be sure what the tactics of a rationalist were. Apparently they are to pooh pooh the information or be misanthropic and say it's a good thing. Also peer-review is a prerequisite to making policy decisions but it's not really an excuse to be completely incredulous.

H.P. Lovecraft

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Gauche wrote:Hambydammit

Gauche wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Exactly.

That's a really disgusting sentiment. The food people and the animals we eat consume is such an important issue it's surprising to me that anyone would make light of such a thing. Certainly the findings of that study could be wrong I never said it was proof. I just wanted to be sure what the tactics of a rationalist were. Apparently they are to pooh pooh the information or be misanthropic and say it's a good thing.

Yeah, yeah.  You're a better person than Hamby, we know.  

And for that matter, where the fuck do you get off saying that my skepticism and his misanthropy are the same thing?  I'm just trying to be responsible, here.   If you want a real paper that suggests an effect, start with this one, 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19007233?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultRepo...

This group found that the immune system of mice was indeed more active in populations fed on GM corn.  That's it, by the way, no deleterious effects on heath, just a jump in B and T cells and some IG's.  They didn't get sick or lose any kind of reproductive fitness.  More importantly, I can actually look at their data and not have to take the abstract's word for it.  They're presenting one paper, one little pebble on the scales of evidence, not a comprehensive review.  More research is a good thing and something I'm in favor of, but I can't even see your paper's data--and why the hell should I care what they say if I can't see a graph or a chart?

--Bertrand Russell

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Damn, dude.  I didn't

Damn, dude.  I didn't realize there were off limits topics for humor.

Look, you're jumping off the deep end here and making a lot of gross mischaracterizations.  I don't mean to speak for DDA, but I'm pretty sure that neither of us is suggesting we just toss anything on a plate so long as it hasn't been proven unsafe.  That's absurd.  But by the same token, it's equally absurd to take something off the plate because a few fringe scientists and lots of non-scientists think it might potentially be harmful in some very ill-defined way.

Genetically engineered food has been tested for safety, and it passed the short term tests.  There's no way to gather empirical data about long term effects when there hasn't been a long term yet, so the best thing we can do is go with our best scientific guess, which is that the genes we've altered in these crops are expressing in the way predicted by evolutionary theory.  If it turns out later that there is evidence of negative effects, we'll address that.

The bottom line is that it's dumb to trust 500 million non-scientists when the scientists who could give credible, empirically backed answers have not been consulted, even if it's a really emotionally volatile issue.

Books about atheism

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
This goes to all three of

This goes to all three of you. If you're eating breakfast and you open the paper and it says "Non peer-reviewed study say's cheerios causes cancer" You're not going to say "Well, wthout peer review theses cheerios are safe" and keep shoveling it into your mouth. I'm just passing along information you can do whatever the fuck you want with it. Ignore it, investigate it further, or something in between but stop throwing this peer-review shit at me as if it means it was two guys in their garage when it was a government funded study. 

H.P. Lovecraft

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:This goes to all

Quote:
This goes to all three of you. If you're eating breakfast and you open the paper and it says "Non peer-reviewed study say's cheerios causes cancer" You're not going to say "Well, wthout peer review theses cheerios are safe" and keep shoveling it into your mouth

Actually, I probably would.  I trust the news about as much as I trust... well... come to think of it, I can't think of any source of information I trust less than the news.  I'm also in the food industry, and quite science savvy, so...

yeah.... anyway...

Quote:
 I'm just passing along information you can do whatever the fuck you want with it. Ignore it, investigate it further, or something in between but stop throwing this peer-review shit at me as if it means it was two guys in their garage when it was a government funded study.

Cause.. yeah... government funded studies are always reliable.

Books about atheism

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I didn't say government

I didn't say government anything was always reliable. You're painting it as fringe research and I'm challenging that characterization. The study was only published in November of 08. Obviously other people have to have time to attempt reproducing the results. I don't expect anyone to show the least bit of gratitude for me pointing out information that was actually requested but if you're just going to make jokes and be dismissive then why bother even asking, and why should other people bother replying?    

H.P. Lovecraft

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
As far as I know there hasnt

As far as I know there hasnt been any papers saying GM foods are dangerous but the default position by the EU is assume any new drug or food is dangerous until proven otherwise.

It seems unlikely that there are any short term risks as you havent got any mass health problems in the US due to food (well bar too many fat people) the interesting fact is the media/politics of it.

A few years back GM food was public enemy no 1, no islamic terrorism, not global warming not gay marriages but GM food. It just shows the media can make people scared of anything literally anything. Works in reverse too isnt British beef stil banned in the US despite everyone in the UK still eating it without any ban in the last 50 years?. All American beef is banned due to growth hormones

99% of health scares are pure politics 0% science

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:Yeah,

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Yeah, yeah.  You're a better person than Hamby, we know.

I don't want you and your family to be sterilized and apparently he does so maybe from your perspective you should think I'm a better person than him. I just don't see the humour in saying people should be sterilized or die especially when you're half serious.
Quote:

And for that matter, where the fuck do you get off saying that my skepticism and his misanthropy are the same thing?  I'm just trying to be responsible, here.   If you want a real paper that suggests an effect, start with this one, 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19007233?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultRepo...

This group found that the immune system of mice was indeed more active in populations fed on GM corn.  That's it, by the way, no deleterious effects on heath, just a jump in B and T cells and some IG's.  They didn't get sick or lose any kind of reproductive fitness.  More importantly, I can actually look at their data and not have to take the abstract's word for it.  They're presenting one paper, one little pebble on the scales of evidence, not a comprehensive review.  More research is a good thing and something I'm in favor of, but I can't even see your paper's data--and why the hell should I care what they say if I can't see a graph or a chart?

I'm not attacking you for being skeptical. In my opinion skepticism is good, but as I said lack of peer review isn't really a reason to dismiss something outright. At the same time you're linking to a study that isn't even long term much less multi-generational and you're quoting one of the most vocal eugenicist in history so I have to wonder exactly what you're angling at.

I admit that I have bias. I want to eat organic food that was made by the earth and be healthy, and not eat some thing that was created in a lab. Furthermore I want to have a choice in the matter. If that's extremist or irrational then I plead guilty to that I guess.

H.P. Lovecraft

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:ut as I said lack of

Quote:
ut as I said lack of peer review isn't really a reason to dismiss something outright.

Yes. Yes it is.

If a study has been published without having been through any peer review process, you can use it to wipe your ass with but not much else. Without proper peer review, how do you know that the results weren't faked? How do you discern between solid testing and flawed testing?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:I'm not

Gauche wrote:

I'm not attacking you for being skeptical. In my opinion skepticism is good, but as I said lack of peer review isn't really a reason to dismiss something outright. At the same time you're linking to a study that isn't even long term much less multi-generational and you're quoting one of the most vocal eugenicist in history so I have to wonder exactly what you're angling at.

Holy shit, dude.  Lack of peer review is all the reason I need to dismiss something if that something is a scientific claim.  That's basic.  And I assume you're referring to the Bertrand Russell quote with that "eugenicist agenda" crap; that's just fucking snakey on your part and not at all germane to the conversation.  Furthermore, since you're quoting H.P. Lovecraft, I have to assume that you think that GM crops are actually portals to allow the shoggoths into our dimension.

Quote:

I admit that I have bias. I want to eat organic food that was made by the earth and be healthy, and not eat some thing that was created in a lab. Furthermore I want to have a choice in the matter. If that's extremist or irrational then I plead guilty to that I guess.

There isn't a plant or animal we regularly consume that wasn't developed by selective breeding, geirj, some of it was haphazard and some of it was controlled with scientific precision.  Nary a morsel is made by the earth.  As for your choice, I'm glad you're choosy.  Choosy behavior is good for economies.  As long as you're willing to pay four bucks for a red pepper or a head of lettuce, I'm sure there'll be someone willing to sell it to you.  That's one of the privileges of living in a wealthy western country.

--Bertrand Russell

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:As for your choice,

Quote:
As for your choice, I'm glad you're choosy.  Choosy behavior is good for economies.  As long as you're willing to pay four bucks for a red pepper or a head of lettuce, I'm sure there'll be someone willing to sell it to you.  That's one of the privileges of living in a wealthy western country.

Ouch.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:Holy

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Holy shit, dude.  Lack of peer review is all the reason I need to dismiss something if that something is a scientific claim.  That's basic.  And I assume you're referring to the Bertrand Russell quote with that "eugenicist agenda" crap; that's just fucking snakey on your part and not at all germane to the conversation.  Furthermore, since you're quoting H.P. Lovecraft, I have to assume that you think that GM crops are actually portals to allow the shoggoths into our dimension.

You're calling me snakey and quoting me out of context in the same post? That takes balls. I said dismiss something outright. You ignored the word outright to try to make some point .

Quote:

There isn't a plant or animal we regularly consume that wasn't developed by selective breeding, geirj, some of it was haphazard and some of it was controlled with scientific precision.  Nary a morsel is made by the earth.  As for your choice, I'm glad you're choosy.  Choosy behavior is good for economies.  As long as you're willing to pay four bucks for a red pepper or a head of lettuce, I'm sure there'll be someone willing to sell it to you.  That's one of the privileges of living in a wealthy western country. 

There's  a big difference between what your talking about and growing plants with live viruses or spiced with insect and animal dna. How can you say that's the same thing?

H.P. Lovecraft

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:DamnDirtyApe

Gauche wrote:

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

You're calling me snakey and quoting me out of context in the same post? That takes balls. I said dismiss something outright. You ignored the word outright to try to make some point .

Quote:

There's  a big difference between what your talking about and growing plants with live viruses or spiced with insect and animal dna. How can you say that's the same thing?

Could we get a quick straw poll on whether I quoted geirj out of context?  I didn't mean to, if I did, but I don't think I did in any case.  And for that matter, if I did, was it more or less out of context than attempting to paint me as a eugenicist because of a Bertrand Russell quote in my sig? 

And as to the second point, you're correct.  Splicing foreign DNA into crops isn't the same thing as hybridizing and selective breeding.  It's orders of magnitude more precise, for one thing.

--Bertrand Russell

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wasn't calling you a

I wasn't calling you a eugenicist. I was attempting to gage your position on the subject. Obviously you took it that way so I hope you realize that wasn't my intent. With that said half the people on this fucking board casually talk about population reduction of 80% or more so it wouldn't really be surprising.

If you want to eat food that produces pesticides or is spliced with insect DNA then that's up to you. Whether it's more precise or not isn't really the issue and I don't work in that field so I'm not worried about it. I should have the choice of not eating it and then seeing what happens to you after thirty years of eating it before I decide.

H.P. Lovecraft

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Quote:ut

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
ut as I said lack of peer review isn't really a reason to dismiss something outright.

Yes. Yes it is.

If a study has been published without having been through any peer review process, you can use it to wipe your ass with but not much else. Without proper peer review, how do you know that the results weren't faked? How do you discern between solid testing and flawed testing?

I don't know that it isn't flawed or faked but I also don't know that something that is peer-reviewed isn't flawed or faked. I just think there's less of a possibility that it is. Also you act as if all peer-review happens before publication or that you don't ever hear about research before there's an opportunity for review. You may say that no scientific claim gets past your peer-review filter and you dismiss everything that lacks peer-review without reservation but I think you're exaggerating.

H.P. Lovecraft

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If you want to eat

Quote:
If you want to eat food that produces pesticides or is spliced with insect DNA then that's up to you. Whether it's more precise or not isn't really the issue and I don't work in that field so I'm not worried about it. I should have the choice of not eating it and then seeing what happens to you after thirty years of eating it before I decide.

...So, wait:

Because you're ignorant of the science (your words, 'I don't work in that field'), that somehow empowers you to make sounder judgments than those who are not so ignorant?

Are you familiar with the phrase, 'does not compute'? Sticking out tongue

Just FYI, for what it's worth, you're outright wrong on the facts: there is no 'insect DNA' spliced into any of the GE crops you would consume. Splicing is done in the lab to see the results of activating or deactiving given genes. There are also no pesticides produced by the food itself (Bt Corn's pesticide, as an example, is produced by the husk - killing the Corn Borer as it tries to eat through it - not the corn kernels), and even 'certified organic' foods (that's really a joke of a term, by the way) are sprayed with stuff anyway.

Anyway, like DDA said, have it at chief. You live in the western world and you've got the choice, so if spending almost %100 more to get 'certified organic' produce is your thing, go for it.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, that's what I'm saying

Yeah, that's what I'm saying Kevin. My ignorant judgment trumps all you fuckers and scientific consensus.  This is my 500th post and I'm gonna go smoke my bong. You guys go create genetic hybrid plants with live viruses and grow them in the open air hoping it'll kill everybody or whatever the hell you do.  Over and out.

H.P. Lovecraft

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Don't

Hambydammit wrote:

Not at all. I am well aware that I don't have enough education in the subject to determine whether sufficient testing has been done or not, or whether any of the products being discussed are dangerous or not.

But I have plenty enough education in the matter to know that sufficient testing should be done before mass consumption of a designed product. Nothing anyone has said in this topic rationally suggests otherwise.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I admit that I have

Quote:
I admit that I have bias. I want to eat organic food that was made by the earth and be healthy

From this statement alone, anyone in the food science industry can dismiss you as just another uninformed alarmist.

Books about atheism