The AiG ad

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The AiG ad

Kevin and I got into a spat on Hamby's blog over the AiG ad

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Seriously, this is fucked-up. This ad is telling kids to fucking shoot people who don't believe in God in the face. There is no alternative interpretation.

I then posted this link from the AiG website. Which says that the ad does not mean shoot atheists in the face

http://www.answersingenesis.org/get-answers/features/you-matter-to-god

For those who do not want to increase their traffic

AiG wrote:

Why do young men walk into schools and start shooting? From Columbine to Dawson College to a small Amish community, today’s newspapers report stories of young people without hope, without a sense of right and wrong, who end up destroying the lives of others with just the pull of a trigger. And it’s not just young men in schools—this year in America, more than 1.8 million people will suffer a violent crime1 and up to 1.4 million babies will be killed2. And what about Africa? The Middle East? South America? Around the world, senseless violence destroys lives because some people no longer value life. Is there any hope? Is there any truth? Are there answers?

Every day we are inundated with evolution-based messages intended to remove the Creator from the fabric of our society, our lives, our thoughts. But if we evolved from lower life forms, then the Bible can’t be trusted and life’s supposed billion-year history is one of continual death and struggle.3 If the Bible isn’t true, then why should we be fair and kind and love our fellow human beings, as the Bible teaches?4 After all, evolution relies on survival of the fittest—no matter who gets in the way.

The Bible says something very different. Genesis tells us that we are created in God’s image.5 We matter to God6—we are fearfully and wonderfully made.7 We were not created through millions of years of violence and death, as evolutionists believe; God did not create us to be violent! Therefore, when we commit acts of violence and evil toward our fellow man, God is grieved. And God has been grieved by these recent acts of violence in the headlines.

The Creator holds each person accountable for their sinful deeds. But God chose to send His perfect Son8 to the Cross to pay the penalty9 for our sin—our failure to obey Him. He did that for us.

Those who feel that neither they nor their actions matter to God lose their motivation to care for the lives of others or for their own life. God’s Word—beginning in Genesis—can rescue people from hopelessness. Help others find hope, truth and answers. Please take some time to read and share the articles linked below. We trust you’ll find them helpful.

For the record, this ad is stupid and moronic, and I refuse to have any part of it.

I however refuse to call it something that it's not.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:So you

manofmanynames wrote:

So you tell me, which ad is fear mongering here? 

Oh, I think they both are. No, don't get me wrong, I think it's two examples of using fear for a political agenda, or, as you say: to sell books.

But in the case of shootings, there's actually no connection to religion, and with 9/11, the religious connection is obvious. Both are scary things, but only one actually has a connection to religion. So it's no wonder we were all confused for a second.

It also invalidates your sweetning of the message. We'd still have to worry about both religiously-charged terrorism (even if it isn't really religiously motivated) and angst-motivated shootings if we took up God. However, without religion, we'd just have the school shootings (which actually sounds funny to say).

But there's no denying that in both cases, they're selling something, and using fear to do it.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:While

manofmanynames wrote:
While the AiG ad, it's the perpetrator, it's not the victims of school shootings, but the shooter himself who is of concern. The ad speaks of rescuing him, giving him meaning. The ad is not intending to invoke our hostility towards the shooter, as the Dawkins ad does towards the 9/11 perpetrators, but rather our affection for them, being that they are children. What's on center stage of the ad is the saving of the child shooter, to give his life a sense of meaning and purpose, what's not on stage is saving our own skin.

Sorry I missed this, but this interpretation didn't occur to me at all. Are you saying the ad's message is "If this kid doesn't matter to God, he won't care if he shoots people"?

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

manofmanynames (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Di66en6ion wrote:Manynames,

Di66en6ion wrote:

Manynames, if you can't see the difference between an image which simply reminds you of violence or pain and one that depicts clear and imminent danger toward your life (a gun being pointed at your head) then you'll find yourself in the minority.

Well, if Dawkins chose to do a video rendition of the ad with a first person camera view of a view from a building where a plane was about to hit, than it fades to black with the words "imagine no religion", I would not have interpreted it much differently than I did the static image ad. We are not talking about what the ad merely depicts, but what that ad is to be interpreted to depict. 

Quote:
My first impression of the video was that they were trying to toss off some old, debunked morality argument about how non-religious/non-christians can kill because they don't have there values.

Well, AiG seems to assume that most individuals who watch the ad are similar to you, that you like me understand what impression the video was trying to give off. I'm guessing it wasn't really rocket science for you to figure that out either, that there was some degree of obviousness to what the ad was depicting, that didn't leave you struggling to interpret it. 

So I understood what there original intentions were from the start but that doesn't take away the fact that the video was still horrible in the message it tried to send.

Well, I already said that I also found the ad to be deplorable. But that doesn't change the fact that it takes a real stretch of the imagination to believe that AiG was trying to advocate kids picking up guns and killing atheist. 

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Are you

HisWillness wrote:

Are you saying the ad's message is "If this kid doesn't matter to God, he won't care if he shoots people"?

Why doesn't it say that? Why does it say YOU when it is intended to be taken as HE.

It's poorly written. Disturbingly so, I think.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:HisWillness

Eloise wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Are you saying the ad's message is "If this kid doesn't matter to God, he won't care if he shoots people"?

Why doesn't it say that? Why does it say YOU when it is intended to be taken as HE.

I think it's because it would lose a lot of punch. "if this kid doesn't think he matters to God, then he's going to go on a shooting spree ... at your kid's school."

That takes a long time to say, and it sounds a lot like dark comedy.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:While the AiG ad, it's

Quote:
While the AiG ad, it's the perpetrator, it's not the victims of school shootings, but the shooter himself who is of concern. The ad speaks of rescuing him, giving him meaning.

Except that... it really, really doesn't. At all.

There's no mention of 'rescue' in the ad, and the narrator fucking uses the 2nd person ('You') when referring to who it is that doesn't matter. The 2nd person is the viewer; if they wanted to refer to the shooter, they should've used the 3rd person ('He/Him').

EDIT: Ken Ham is looney tunes. He preaches to kids all of the time that the world & universe were actually made around 4000 B.C. and that 'evolutionists' are out to get them, and lends full support to the idea of Bible camps making 'armies for Christ'. If you don't think he's the sort of person who'd be happy to see blood flowing through the gutters in the name of Jesus, well, I guess it's your riht to be naive.

And of course they don't say up front on their website that they want Christians to shoot non-Christians. Ken Ha is insane and malicious, not stupid, and is likely aware of the sort of legal trouble an article like tat would land him in.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Eloise

manofmanynames wrote:

Eloise wrote:

No. The "Imagine no religion" ad depicts precisely, an image which might be in the absence of religion. It calls to mind what religion can do, as is intended, it does not depict it. There's a difference, you might want to double check what you think depict means.

Oh brother, why not just pick up a dictionary yourself, and then judge of i used the word "depict" incorrectly here.

Here you go:

verb [ trans. ]show or represent by a drawing, painting, or other art form.• portray in words; describe youth is depicted as a time of vitality and good health.

Or in other words an image with a caption that represents what religion can do, is an image with a caption depicting what religion can do. 

The caption isn't a picture, it doesn't depict it implies. The image depicts and it depicts peacetime to suggest an absence of violence. The caption recalls a history of violence to suggest a cause. This is well written, when all the elements work together to state one clear message it's potent advertising, regardless of personal opinion on the content.

manofmanynames wrote:

Quote:
Do you think this ad is potent in it's intended message, as a stand alone piece?

It depends on what you mean by potent? If you asking if the ad was potent enough to even inch me towards the view that godlessness leads to the mentality of child shooters, than no,

Well then we agree, so why are we arguing? I'm only saying that the ad failed in it's intent. When something fails as badly as this does, when a message is delivered this ambiguously, you can't very well fault people for reading a whole different message into it, whether those people add bias to their interpretation or they don't, the point is it could mean anything if it doesn't mean what it says.

manofmanynames wrote:

I do believe that ad is potent it what it tended, potent for those who already associate child violence with a sense of disbelief and meaninglessness.

So they were advertising themselves to themselves? HAHAHA! I can believe that, it makes about as much sense as the advertisement itself does.

manofmanynames wrote:

Just as the Dawkins ad is potent for individuals who already associate the 9/11 attacks as being religiously motivated.

You mean, most everyone in the western world? Yeah, it works for them.

manofmanynames wrote:

I find it to be an affective ad to rally their masses, to cheer their choir. 

Yeah it works as a call to rally, that's true, fortunately it's not so coded as to exclude others from understanding it without explanation.

Quote:

ah, silly rabbit tricks are for kids, let's reread what you originally wrote, for which i responded to:

"you'd be an idiot to think that God Delusion was trying to evoke violent reactions because they aren't making a violent demonstration in their ad, the same cannot be said for the AIG ad."

You seemed to have this silly belief that only images that make violent demonstration evoke violence. Images of swastikas can evoke violence, cartoons of Mohammad can evoke violence. In fact Individuals can use such images to evoke violence. 

The Swastika means a lot of different things to different people, as does a picture of Mohammed. A gun pointed at your head means a threat to YOU in anyone's language, in every culture it's exactly the same thing. You've made another false comparison.

Anyway, I do seem to have weakened my argument with that simplification, I'll concede. What I mean by violent demonstration is not a violent image but a violent gesture. A swastika is not of itself a violent image, if you wear one to show off to Jewish people with a warning glance, that is a threatening gesture. The Dawkin's ad is without threatening gestures of any kind, so you'd be a little bit mad to say it suggested itself to be behind one. It does suggest a threat but it in no way makes itself a demonstration of that threat, it would seriously be ridiculous to read into it what isn't there.

For the record, a picture of mohammed is not a threatening gesture, even though it might evoke someone to violence it's a completely different category of interaction at work in this case.

anofmanynames wrote:

Apparently you can't grasp that we're not talking about skylines, but a picture of the twin towers captioned with words "imagine no religion". Recall in my example of an ignorant person the individual only had this image, and the knowledge that individuals intentionally flew planes into the twin towers, their motivation is what the person in the example was ignorant of,

In this case the suggestion that religion is behind the attack is still well articulated. The person who doesn't have any knowledge of the motivation is left only to question whether what the ad suggests is true.

The AIG ad doesn't get this far because it doesn't suggest anything about the boy except that he has a gun pointed at your head. Where's the bit where it suggests in any way that the boy is motivated to shoot you by a lack of hope and biblical morals. It isn't there, it never once makes any reference to where the boy stands with their god, just you. Do they expect you to think that you're him?

<snipped lots of Ad Hoc wishful thinking>

manofmanynames wrote:

I doubt you're going to find a theist confused and wondering if AiG is looking to have his children go around shooting atheist.

Hello.... I am a theist. (see badge)

Granted I'm not wondering if AIG is looking to have children shoot atheists, but I am a theist who thinks their ad is confusing and so very very very poorly put together they shouldn't be surprised if people do take it to mean something as outrageous as all that.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Eloise

HisWillness wrote:

Eloise wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

I think it's because it would lose a lot of punch. "if this kid doesn't think he matters to God, then he's going to go on a shooting spree ... at your kid's school."

That takes a long time to say, and it sounds a lot like dark comedy.

Obviously they've tried to be confronting, they just pull it off like a seal in a bikini.

It makes me wonder, what reaction to the boy were they trying to evoke exactly? There are mixed messages in the rationalisation about that as well, they seem to say we're supposed to feel sympathy for his godlessness, but that you can't get out of the ad. On the other hand if we're supposed to feel indifference to him because his gun associates him with godlessness or evil then the line "you don't matter to anybody" almost makes sense.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Obviously

Eloise wrote:

Obviously they've tried to be confronting, they just pull it off like a seal in a bikini.

Y'know, I want to respond seriously, but I can't help picturing a seal in a bikini. Where on earth did you get that? A seal in a bikini!