Giant Isopod

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Giant Isopod

He wants a hug. It's a trap, though...

I WANT!!!

Does anyone know if these are viable aquarium pets? If they are, do you know where they are available for sale at?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
As I understand it, they

As I understand it, they live at great depths in cold environments and so it would be very expensive to replicate their environment for an enclosure.

As for getting one? I suspect you'd have to undertake a specimen expedition.

But it would be one effective conversation starter, hm?

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:As I understand it,

Quote:
As I understand it, they live at great depths in cold environments and so it would be very expensive to replicate their environment for an enclosure.

As for getting one? I suspect you'd have to undertake a specimen expedition.

Drat. Sad

...Oh, Jill, while you're here: your attention & cooperation would be most appreciated in this thread. Eye-wink

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:But it would

JillSwift wrote:

"Hey baby, want to come over my place and check out my giant isopod?" LOL

Seriously, though, is that thing real? Link? It looks almost like a photshopped image, or a movie prop.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, the Giant Isopod is

Well, the Giant Isopod is definitely a real creature; the photograph I think is real, but it may be just a replica. It's from the wikipedia page on the animals. More photos are available from this zoo that keeps them.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:JillSwift

natural wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

"Hey baby, want to come over my place and check out my giant isopod?" LOL

Works every time... *snicker*

natural wrote:

Seriously, though, is that thing real? Link? It looks almost like a photshopped image, or a movie prop.

its definitely not photoshopped, but it still could be a fake/prop

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, it might be a prop of

Yes, it might be a prop of some sort... but, I'm really leaning towards thinking that it isn't. It looks correct when compared to zoo photos.

The scale is a bit misleading in the photo due to the way it was framed; the animal is probably 30-40 cm in length. It's sitting on top of a fluid drum of some kind.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
It has metal - like  

It has metal - like   eyes.....   sweet

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wikipedia wrote:They are

Wikipedia wrote:
They are thought to be abundant in cold, deep waters of the Atlantic.

giant isopods are a good example of deep-sea gigantism (cf. giant squid)

Their morphology is nonetheless familiar to most people as giant isopods closely resemble their terrestrial cousin, the woodlouse

Oh my god, I just figured it out! Giant isopods are the lice of Cthulu! Found in the deepest, coldest waters; giant like giant squid!; and related to other kinds of lice.

It all makes sense! We better leave those suckers alone, or we could bring forth a cosmic monstrosity!

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Oh my god, I just

Quote:
Oh my god, I just figured it out! Giant isopods are the lice of Cthulu!

NOOOO!

He spake it's name! The name of the Old One! My sanity... it crumbless;nndhufhsafoshfofyoyagyaufyggifgdsafbjksa

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Hey babe, want to see my

"Hey babe, want to see my massive isopod?"

"What's an isopod?"

"A giant version of the lice people have to shampoo out of their hair, about the size of your fists."

*Runs screaming*

ROTF

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.