The Rise of the Religious Right and the Fall of the USA

wkirby
User is offlineOffline
The Rise of the Religious Right and the Fall of the USA

First off, I'm not an American. I'm not qualified in any way other than observation. I'm merely posing the questions.

It seems to me the stronger fundamentalist Christianity takes hold in the US, the more compromised education and freedom of thought is becoming in your society. I fail to comprehend the idea of 'the land of the free' so long as you believe what we want you to believe.

Other cultures that consider themselves enemies of the US must be rubbing their hands together with glee watching various states and indeed the federal government making regressive decision (eg the teaching of ID in schools, an almost completely unique Ameican phemonenon) based on nothing more than the political might of religious fundamentalists.

The question is - Do Americans realise that most of the religious hysteria widely discussed in 'the land of the free' and indeed enforced is not global? And that most of the issues discussed here and on far right religious forums are almost exclusively US based? Further do any American nationals see America's almost inevitable decline as a superpower because of the need to believe?

Why can't people accept that Atheism is by definition no faith? I don't believe in Atheism, I simply am Atheist.

rationalrabbit
User is offlineOffline
First of all, in my opinion

First of all, in my opinion as an American, America is not the land of the free the patriots fought for.  It is simply a society in which people are happy to ignore a lack of "freedoms" because they are comfortable in their upper middle class life styles.

My answer to your questions is YES. Unfortunately, many believe America, to be "land of the free" "the greatest nation" etc. and most don't think anything can touch it. Anyone  who speaks the truth of America's downfall is promptly ignored.

Oh and something that entertains me, USA insists on calling itself "America" like it's the only nation in the Americas.

Balkoth
User is offlineOffline
Er...is this the same person

Er...is this the same person responding to his own post under a different name?...

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
maturity helps.

I am guessing,  and only guessing that wkirby and rationalrabbit are young men, very young men.  I can assure you  that the U.S.of A. is the "land of the free"  and the  "greatest nation".  It is the country that all other nations strive to be. It is the country that other nationals want to immigrate to. It is the one nation that all other nations compare themselves to.

It is also a target for all those who feel disenfranchised, isolated and depressed. They carry an attitude that says to them "strike out at the biggest target, the best target."  It is only a schoolyard-ish way of saying "I pretend that I am better then you and the rest of the world can pretend also,  for 2 seconds". After the 2 seconds  the childish bully is gone but America and it's ideals live on.

I have been in meny countries in this world and I can not express in words exactly what foreigners think of America, but it is positive always, and puzzlement as to why Americans are not more chauvenistic about how good they have it. Americans think Britians have more freedoms,  surprise!!!!!!!!. Walking down the streets of most English citiy's is broadcast live and in colour to the local police station.  If Scotland Yard wants a DNA sample to trap a suspect they simply test everyone within a certain geographical area with the courts blessings.  Try that in the USA.

Other nationals wonder why America puts up so much bullsh*t from insignificant pissants,  when they and their country's would not-----if they had Americas power.

btw I am not American,  never was,   I just grew up there.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

rationalrabbit
User is offlineOffline
A reply

Balkoth- I assure you that we are not the same person, but it is rather funny that we both joined today.

Jeffrick- I am not a young "man," but you were pretty close. And while I am young, I have had the privilege of world travel. I don't just mean resorts. My family liked to travel into the "countryside" and see what life was really like. I'll admit for most people life sucks, and given I ate today I have no right to complain. I know many nations want to be like America. Even nations that would nuke us given the chance, still want our lifestyle.

I do truly believe America has begun its demise and will never regain its former glory, not saying it might not be around for the next few hundred years. Also, I believe fundamentalists have contributed greatly to a lot of crap that's happened recently. The stock market will most likely go back up, and new politicians will most likely bring good (and some bad) changes. This paragraph only contains my personal opinions. If you have any evidence to the contrary, I will be happy to change my mind.

wkirby
User is offlineOffline
Balkoth - I'm not sure why

Balkoth - I'm not sure why you think rationalrabbit and I are the same person. I stated from the beginning I am not American and it seems rationalrabbit is.

Jeffrick - I am 37, married and have 2 early teenage children. While I don't think I am old, I'd hardly classify myself as young! I have travelled to every continent on earth, save Antarctica. I'm happy your view is from significantly different eyes than mine because I have not met countries that all want to be like it nor many nationals that want to migrate there. Don't get me wrong I have no doubt that there are and it's not my intention to bash this fine country.

My curiosity stems from the American friends I have (and there are a few) who are astounded by the fact I'm "openly Atheist" - I've even been accused as a  "rampaging Atheist", which I find curious because I have no particular desire to 'convert' anyone. most of my friends around the world know my opinion on religion yet it is only American naitonals that feel the need to send me links and question me about various religious ideas. I had no idea about Creationists or ID before one of my American friends asked me about it.

Now, after wondering about this and deciding that I must indeed be odd to have no religion or indeed desire to have a religion, I've trawled the net reading various articles, web posts and even studied up on Richard Dawkins and all roads lead to the US for Christian fundamentalism. I find it odd that the most fundamental nations on the planet seem intent on death and destruction (US and Middle East, Israel and Paestine, Rhwanda, Sierra Leone, the former Yugoslavia) all because 'my God is better than your God'. But I digress and apologise for doing so.

As per my original post, it seems to me that fundamental Christianity is becoming so pervasive is the USA that it's no longer possible to have an alternate point of view whether it's right or wrong. Church and state seem to be converging (as I understand it completely at odds with the desire of the founding fathers) and I'm curious as to whether I'm alone in this observation. It all seems very '1984' to me and I was hoping for some insight from a US national.

Why can't people accept that Atheism is by definition no faith? I don't believe in Atheism, I simply am Atheist.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, I have to admit, it

Well, I have to admit, it certainly looks on the surface like a person talking to themself, but the IP addresses don't seem to bear that out.  It's quite a puzzle.  Both accounts were created within a couple of hours of each other, but they're literally going through servers on opposite sides of the world.  If it's one person, it's someone with wayyyyy too much time to worry about how not to appear to be one person.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

wkirby
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the verification.

Thanks for the verification. For the record, I'm not even close to being that smart either!

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
wkirby wrote:As per my

wkirby wrote:

As per my original post, it seems to me that fundamental Christianity is becoming so pervasive is the USA that it's no longer possible to have an alternate point of view whether it's right or wrong. Church and state seem to be converging (as I understand it completely at odds with the desire of the founding fathers) and I'm curious as to whether I'm alone in this observation. It all seems very '1984' to me and I was hoping for some insight from a US national.

In my case I am an American that has lived all over the USA. I'm 58 and have seen times when it was just assumed that everyone believed in God, though that is not true anymore. I live in Florida now and travel throughout both the SE US and the SW US. I grew up as a Christian in the mid-west in Nebraska, Kansas, and Colorado and became an atheist over 20 years ago.  In fact my mother was once a Lutheran school teacher though before I was born. I don't hide the fact that I no longer believe in any god but I don't actively put my views in other people's faces either.

In the US we always have respected the right to your religion of choice or not. What goes on today is a number of fanatics no different than other countries that are trying to push their agenda. In the past we allowed the same crap as did other countries such as England and most of the Catholic countries though never to the level of a state religion. During the Cold War fanatics got God added to out pledge and In God We Trust added to our money as part of Commie fear. 

The fundies here are quite vocal but they are fighting a battle they can't win. Religious freedom is ingrained in the US so provision has to be made for all. True they try to put bullshit into classrooms, but little true success for them has occurred. When I first started school prayer was still allowed. The next year it was banned but I was sent to parochial schools until high school by my parents. God was not mentioned in the public schools I attended in the 1960s. What I have seen is every year more progress is made in reducing the impact of religion in the US compared to what it once was.

These days the instant media, the Internet, and 24/7 cable news channels put a lot of crap out. Less and less people are buying the religious lines though the vocal ones keep screaming as loud as they can on trash TV like Fox News. 

When my children grew up they were brought up as Catholic though today neither one is a believer and they can be quite adamant over keeping your religious bullshit to yourself. 

Other things to consider. There are now four states allowing same sex marriage including Iowa in the heart of God believers no less. People here don't care what the Pope has to say about either abortion or birth control and pretty much do what they want. A recent survey showed an overall decline in religious beliefs in the last 10 years, Google it to get the exact numbers.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

wkirby wrote:

First off, I'm not an American. I'm not qualified in any way other than observation. I'm merely posing the questions.

It seems to me the stronger fundamentalist Christianity takes hold in the US, the more compromised education and freedom of thought is becoming in your society. I fail to comprehend the idea of 'the land of the free' so long as you believe what we want you to believe.

Other cultures that consider themselves enemies of the US must be rubbing their hands together with glee watching various states and indeed the federal government making regressive decision (eg the teaching of ID in schools, an almost completely unique Ameican phemonenon) based on nothing more than the political might of religious fundamentalists.

The question is - Do Americans realise that most of the religious hysteria widely discussed in 'the land of the free' and indeed enforced is not global? And that most of the issues discussed here and on far right religious forums are almost exclusively US based? Further do any American nationals see America's almost inevitable decline as a superpower because of the need to believe?

While this sort of concern is popular I have to suggest you look into US history and compare then to now. A half century ago a crucifix and dailly prayers were common in public school classrooms. A century ago bible study was common in public schools. Before public schools all schools were sponsored by churches.

US expansion was not just "manifest destiny" but also establishing the "new" Zion which went with the shining city on a hill metaphor of the US as the new Jerusalem, the holy city of god. It was an overtly religious undertaking. If the Iraq war had occurred a century ago elected officials and military would openly talk of converting the musslemen to Christianity just as they did in the Philipine war. (Speaking of which the Philipine resistance back then were the ancestors of the Philipine rebels today. Rotsa Ruck in Iraq.)

What we see today is a vast improvement over the past. Any danger from religion has decreased rather than increased. Back when religion was strong and pervasive this "land of the free" remained free.

In specifics Creationism screwed up so badly the ID folks can't get a start. They are slapped down before they can begin to do any damage. And as I keep saying, I don't care what a burger flipper or a cop or a electrician thinks about evolution. The only people I care about getting it right are the professionals which means college. The whole thing started with the Christian Fundamentals movement some 90 years ago. They started with attacking the universities run by religious demoninations. They had their heads handed to them. Only then did they start meddling in the grade schools. So there is no reason to be concerned they will interfere with professional educations.

There is a major image problem for the US in the matter of religion. Given all the surveys and dire pronouncements and political statements and god in every speech one would expect people being hounded on the streets to go to some church.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Other than the rare door knockers, less than ten times in my 60+ years, there is no religion in public life that goes beyond words in speeches. The ID stuff is always blown out of proportion. I would guess there have been three or four school board issues in the last ten years. The US has literally thousands of school boards.

There is an old rule. Ignore the words and look at the actions.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
wkirby wrote:First off, I'm

wkirby wrote:

According to my observations, a significant number of Americans think they are the world. Literally. Sad as it is.

A majority of those that know better make the mistake of thinking they own the rest of the world, or control it, or both.

America's greatest enemy since WWII is itself. Maybe one day it'll realize it.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

willm
User is offlineOffline
The religious right is a

The religious right is a minority in the US.  They just make more noise than most.  Their numbers and power is actually waning. 

They continually lose  court case after court case.  The outside worlds perception that the US is overwhelmed by religious zealotry is just that.  Perception. 

The number of non theistic Americans has increased dramatically over the last decade.  In part due to the behavior of the religious right.   Just as our perceptions of other countries are skewed by the more vocal elements in their society.

The US has been and will always be a secular nation. 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:They continually

Quote:
They continually lose  court case after court case.  The outside worlds perception that the US is overwhelmed by religious zealotry is just that.  Perception.

Um... no...

Have you ever lived in the Southern U.S. or the midwest?  Both regions are very much overwhelmed by religious zealotry.  Only the bigger metropolitan areas tend towards less religious populations.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

willm
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Um... no...

Have you ever lived in the Southern U.S. or the midwest?  Both regions are very much overwhelmed by religious zealotry.  Only the bigger metropolitan areas tend towards less religious populations.

So, you are questioning my opinion based on the fact that you think I'm untraveled and inexperienced?  It is just my opinion, based on what I've seen, read and experienced in my life.  I'll give you a little bio, so that you can decide for yourself whether I'm full of shit. 

46 Years old.  Retired US Military after 25 years.  I spent a year in Kuwait recently and just got back from South America.  Currently living in Arkansas.  PhD in Sociology, with minors in Psychology and Anthropology.   Atheist since birth and have never been indoctrinated in any religious mythology. 

Many parts of the country are rural and not exceptionally religious.  The Northwest US for example. 

My point was that the perception of religious activity is not as great as the actuality.  The Moral Majority is passed it's heyday.  The far right religious movement is losing members daily due to death from old age. 

I also distinguish between those who are nominally religious and those who are zealots. 

If people are just going to condescend to me when replying, rather than responding to my points, then I really have no interest in continuing to be a member of this board.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
rationalrabbit wrote:  It

rationalrabbit wrote:

It is simply a society in which people are happy to ignore a lack of "freedoms" because they are comfortable in their upper middle class life styles.

You don't happen to think that the upper middle class and rich need to be killled and their money distributed, do you?

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

wkirby
User is offlineOffline
willm wrote:If people are

willm wrote:

If people are just going to condescend to me when replying, rather than responding to my points, then I really have no interest in continuing to be a member of this board.

I too have noticed what appears to be a distinct patronizing tone in responses to certain posts, particularly from the more senior members of this site.

Having a contrary opinion is appreciated, being condescending about it is not. Having said that, it is a blog not a singles bar so I wouldn't expect people to be too nice.

For what it's worth, your comments (as with many of the others on this thread) have helped my understanding of the questions I have.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
willm wrote:Hambydammit

willm wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Um... no...

So, you are questioning my opinion based on the fact that you think I'm untraveled and inexperienced?  It is just my opinion, based on what I've seen, read and experienced in my life.  I'll give you a little bio, so that you can decide for yourself whether I'm full of shit. 

46 Years old.  Retired US Military after 25 years.  I spent a year in Kuwait recently and just got back from South America.  Currently living in Arkansas.  PhD in Sociology, with minors in Psychology and Anthropology.   Atheist since birth and have never been indoctrinated in any religious mythology. 

Many parts of the country are rural and not exceptionally religious.  The Northwest US for example. 

My point was that the perception of religious activity is not as great as the actuality.  The Moral Majority is passed it's heyday.  The far right religious movement is losing members daily due to death from old age. 

I also distinguish between those who are nominally religious and those who are zealots. 

I've read this a dozen times now and I can't see the condescention. He was correcting you. Is being corrected equivalent to being condescended? I don't see how it is. It's not like he said, "you're full of shit" or "listen kid, blah blah" or anything of the like.

If he is wrong, you are free to prove your point with sources; or do what you did and quantify your post as opinion. If he is right, you have learned something new.

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
Living in certain areas of

Living in certain areas of the country may give people the idea that the religious right are just a pesky minority.  However there are other areas in the south and the Midwest where they dominate society. 

To sit there and think that we the secular people have won against them is to ignore facts.

Sarah Palin is the best example of that.  It shows that it only takes one bad apple to get power, before they make significant inroads to creating their "Christian Nation."  It almost happened people!  You think some religious zealot wouldn't have tried to take out Mccain if it meant one of theirs would be leader of the free world?  That's not even considering Mccain's age, and that his health could have turned at any time under the stress.  Let's not forget about Huckabee either.  He wasn't successful, but next time a huge zealot like that comes along I'll bet they aren't as upfront about their fundamentalism.

Then we have the fundamentalist training camps (Regent U, Liberty U, Oral Roberts U etc.) pumping out lawyers and future politicians.  Regent U alone claimed to have 150 alumni placed in W.s white house.  I think it's Liberty U that has a full replica of the Supreme Court in their law school specifically for the purpose of training their zealots to take over the legislature!  Regent U has begun to focus on educators.  That's right they want to place as many fundies as they can in your children's schools, and school boards!

There are other fronts they are winning on as well.  Such as the language we use, and what is socially acceptable to talk about.  They continually succeed in putting words and phrases into popular culture.  They also have the advantage of the prevailing attitude that to question someones faith is some low-down, scummy, below the belt act perpetrated on the poor victim who is being questioned.

How about the "vagina clown car movement" and the homeschoolers?  I have a couple friends that were raised in that environment, and by their own admission it is more widespread than people realize.  It was the home school community in Iowa that successfully propelled Huckabee into the race in a grassroots effort BTW! 

I could easily sit here for another hour typing about this.  It just seams profoundly naive to think that the religious right is losing, and therefor we have no reason to worry.

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
willm wrote:The religious

willm wrote:

The religious right is a minority in the US.  They just make more noise than most.  Their numbers and power is actually waning. 

The number of non theistic Americans has increased dramatically over the last decade.  In part due to the behavior of the religious right.   Just as our perceptions of other countries are skewed by the more vocal elements in their society.

The US has been and will always be a secular nation. 

I agree with you that religion is waning in the US. The battle is far from over but gains have been made. The vocal zealots spew forth very vocally and should not be considered an accurate perception of the US. I have and do live in the Southern US, though many will argue that Florida isn't really in the South. Orlando is home to Joel Hunter and several evangelistic denominations of religious zealots.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Vastet wrote:
willm wrote:
Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Um... no...

Have you ever lived in the Southern U.S. or the midwest?  Both regions are very much overwhelmed by religious zealotry. Only the bigger metropolitan areas tend towards less religious populations.

So, you are questioning my opinion based on the fact that you think I'm untraveled and inexperienced? It is just my opinion, based on what I've seen, read and experienced in my life. I'll give you a little bio, so that you can decide for yourself whether I'm full of shit. 

46 Years old. Retired US Military after 25 years. I spent a year in Kuwait recently and just got back from South America.  Currently living in Arkansas.  PhD in Sociology, with minors in Psychology and Anthropology. Atheist since birth and have never been indoctrinated in any religious mythology. 

Many parts of the country are rural and not exceptionally religious. The Northwest US for example. 

My point was that the perception of religious activity is not as great as the actuality. The Moral Majority is passed it's heyday. The far right religious movement is losing members daily due to death from old age. 

I've read this a dozen times now and I can't see the condescention. He was correcting you. Is being corrected equivalent to being condescended? I don't see how it is. It's not like he said, "you're full of shit" or "listen kid, blah blah" or anything of the like.

If he is wrong, you are free to prove your point with sources; or do what you did and quantify your post as opinion. If he is right, you have learned something new.

If one were to contradict his sources one would have to ask for some.

If you count Cincinnati as the midwest and northern Virginia and central Florida as the south then I have lived all my 63 years in those locations and know of no basis for claims about an unusual pervasiveness of religion in the midwest and south. Those locations would be 22 years, 25 years and 16 years respectively. I have also done extensive and frequent business travel to New England, New York and So. California and haven't noticed anything in particular in those places either.

So if there is "correction" I see no legitimate correction as nothing matches my experience. Now if someone wants to introduce an anecdote about Omaha or Plant City more power to them. But anecdotes have no standing. No individual's experience rises above anecdote.

On the other hand researchers primarily use properly designed surveys. I would assume a person with credits in Sociology and Anthropology would be familiar with such studies and can speak to them even though they are not directly referenced.

Surveys have a delightfuly worthless aspect to them. How important is religion in your life? That only leads to important in relation to what? which leads to n! possible answers for n things to compare it to. Imporant in what way? is an essay question.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
This place is a goddamn

This place is a goddamn nightmare, no shit.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
wkirby wrote:The question is

wkirby wrote:

I'd agree except there is no other society which is more rational than the USA to take it's place as a Superpower.

Look at the rest of the world(Islamic fundamentalism in mid east and Africa, Socialism that rewards failure/punishes success in Europe and Canada, lack of human rights/creative freedom in China, corruption in Russia, overpopulation in India, Catholicism and political corruption in Latin America). So who would step up and take our place?

So we'll remain the superpower as long as we have the most superior military.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

wkirby
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:I'd agree except

EXC wrote:

I'd agree except there is no other society which is more rational than the USA to take it's place as a Superpower.

Look at the rest of the world(Islamic fundamentalism in mid east and Africa, Socialism that rewards failure/punishes success in Europe and Canada, lack of human rights/creative freedom in China, corruption in Russia, overpopulation in India, Catholicism and political corruption in Latin America). So who would step up and take our place?

So we'll remain the superpower as long as we have the most superior military.

What are you doing to stimulate the Nucleus Accumbens?

There are very few things in the world that are 100% accurate 100% of the time - here's a couple. 100% of people will die and 100% of world powers will fall, in both cases it's only a matter of time.

Who will take over? Yes, India is overpopulated but they have no 'one-child policy' like China and while the rest of the developed world has an ageing population (more old than young) India is one of the few countries that doesn't. It's also worth mentioning they are a nuclear power.

Yes China has an appalling human rights record but it also has the world's largest military (troops outnumber the US by almost 2:1. Not to mention it's population outnumbers the US by about 4:1.

Maybe a single country won't rise, perhaps it'll be a collection like the EU. Or maybe, just maybe, a group of like minded individuals will fundamentally change the societies in certain countries to affect a more subtle change. Did you know that Islam has apparently recently overtaken Christianity as the world's most adhered to faith?

Comments like "who will take our place" remind me of a alleged last words by a Southern General - "They couldn't hit an elephant's ass with a..."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote: If one

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

If one were to contradict his sources one would have to ask for some.

In order to contradict sources with sources, sources have to be provided in the first place, and they weren't. Hence my point stands.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Without commenting on a few

Without commenting on a few issues in the thread post, it pretty much summed up the fact that the U.S. has evolved into an Extremist Fundamentalist religious Country.

Recall GWB Sr. mentioning that being one nation under god that Atheists don't even deserve the right of citizenship.

GWB didn't do this on his own. Plenty of dumning-down preceeded him during the past 60 years. Not to mention that in this Countries history there were already 2 major Fundamentalist religious revivals.

HOWEVER, I DO HAVE A PREDICTION...

This Country is going straight into the shitter, and will continue to do so (in my own view) for the next 2 Centuries
and quite possibly much longer. ---- I not only predict that, but that when the religious Fundamentalists discover that no god(s) saved them after a Century has passed, the disenchantment with god(s) will NOT be unlike the disenchantment recently seen with the Repugnant Party. However, as the level of misery will be so much greater, so too will be the level of disenchantment. And in the end, I
predict there will be a loss of interest in all things related to god(s) and religion.

Perhaps I give people too much credit, but I'm talking about a prediction of widespread severe misery in the U.S., and as much time as a Century or more for the change to occur. Moreover, I predict a Country with widespread Atheism in another 2 Centuries.

None of us will ever know. Just a combination of what I know is going to happen down the road, with a gut feeling about the result of disenchantment / dissapointment, and how large number of people react when all their praying and dreaming falls flat on its face.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

treat2 wrote:
Without commenting on a few issues in the thread post, it pretty much summed up the fact that the U.S. has evolved into an Extremist Fundamentalist religious Country.

Having looked at the religious history of the US I see the US evolving away from that. The US general in charge of our war in the Philippines nearly a century ago openly spoke of doing god's work while he was conducting the war. Imagine Gen. Patreus talking about doing gods work in Iraq. A century ago public schools included prayer and bible reading.

The US started publicly religous but privately Deist at worst. They continued the old traditions. By all accounts Ben Franklin fully supported and spoke up for the Quakers. Yet when asked about Jesus he said he never felt compelled to examine the matter. Old habits die hard. While we cannot get into the heads of our ancestors more than a generation or two back this appears to view a religion as a fraternal organization whose members agree to specific things.

The 1820s brought a widespread christian revival movement that was most popular with the post revolution immigrants. That is where things started to go downhill. The last gasp of it was the post WWI Christian Fundamentals movement whose greatest accomplishment was the Scopes trial.

I agree we have a long way to go to recover from this. I am aware preachers on the Jesus channel claim tens of millions of followers. But the numbers they give for their followers is static. If they were spreading the number would be increasing. Static numbers indicate it is a passing phase of a fraction of the population.

And as to the long way to go, the increase in the number of atheists has been in the news. If we do not view that as successfully spreading atheism but simply one end of the curve of interest in religion with home-grown Ayatollahs at the other end of the curve then tens of million around the average of the curve have shifted away from religion.

I tend more towards the bell curve idea as I have noticed no increase in atheists to promote their ideas. We are still disorganized people who congregate in places like this.

www.ussliberty.org