The Black Church

WrathJW
atheist
WrathJW's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Black Church

There has undoubtedly been much good done by Black Christians in this country and the many different denominations of the Black Christian Church. There has been much good done by White Christians and Jews on behalf of Black people in this country as well. There has also been much evil done in the name of Christianity in more than equal number.

True, the Civil Rights Movement was largely spearheaded by the Black Church and Churches of many ethnicities and denominations. It was also just as vehemently opposed by the Black Church and churches of every hue all over the country who preferred that we all keep quite and wait rather than protest and march and fight for our rights. In the antebellum south and even in so-called "free states" the number of churches with an abolitionist bent were outnumbered more than 2 to 1 by those who equated abolitionism with atheism because Jesus expressly commanded slaves to honor and obey their masters as they would Christ and, in the Old Testament, the rules for the treatment of slaves (including when it was permissible to kill one) were laid out in detail. I don't think anyone would claim that Christianity was given to the slaves as a tool for them to use to gain their freedom. It was clearly forced upon us as a means of pacification. That the church was ultimately used as a tool of freedom was more a testament to the tenacity and ingenuity of those African slaves than anything liberating in the bible or in religion itself.

Slave masters used the bible to justify slavery. Slaves were often told that they were the cursed children of Ham whose duty under God was to serve the White man and their only hope of salvation was to accept Jesus Christ as their savior so that they would inherit heaven when they died. In this way Christian missionaries attempted to persuade the slave that his life here on earth was insignificant and that they should bear their burdens without complaint in order to receive their reward in heaven. The dichotomy of "love thy neighbor" and the enslavement of strangers was not lost on some slaves who secretly used this hypocrisy to prove that slavery was "Un-Christian". The fact that this hypocrisy existed not just in the slave masters but in the bible itself was obviously ignored and since the church was the only place where slaves could legally congregate it soon became a center for the abolitionist movement creating a historic legacy of community leadership that continued through the Civil Rights Movement up to today...

more: http://www.godlessandblack.blogspot.com/

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."
- Steven Weinberg, Nobel Prize-winning physicist

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dude, I am not sure

Dude, I am not sure where you are going with this. However, I suspect that possibly that was your intention. By not actually making a clear conclusion, you leave me with the idea that you want to show just how complicated the whole matter of race can be.

For example, you observed that the black church was both a good and bad thing and it is not really possible to separate that into two easy to deal with groups. Allow me to give you another piece to that puzzle.

The civil rights movement of the 60's was largely a matter that was fought over northern versus southern values. However, 40+ years ago, the political lines that were drawn were also north=republican and south=democratic.

Today, the political lines are almost the exact opposite of what they were then. Even so, while it is a bit of a cheap shot, it is fair to say that republicans fought for civil rights and democrats fought to keep black people down. Such is the mess that we have. I will take your lead and not actually finish what I could say for now.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

WrathJW
atheist
WrathJW's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hit the hyperlink below and

Hit the hyperlink below and read the entire article. It's long but it gets clearer.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah...the key is to hit the

Yeah...the key is to hit the hyperlink, and have more than a few minutes to read...hahaha

You write well, sir. Bullshit does indeed come in all colors.

WrathJW
atheist
WrathJW's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Yeah...the

Rich Woods wrote:

Yeah...the key is to hit the hyperlink, and have more than a few minutes to read...hahaha

You write well, sir. Bullshit does indeed come in all colors.

True indeed.

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."

RickshawCannon
RickshawCannon's picture
User is offlineOffline
You sir, are a phenonmenal

You sir, are a phenonmenal writer. Hope to see more of you in the forums.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd follow you to hell and

I'd follow you to hell and back! If it existed that is...

WrathJW
atheist
WrathJW's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickshawCannon wrote:You

RickshawCannon wrote:

You sir, are a phenonmenal writer. Hope to see more of you in the forums.

Thanks, my friend. Hopefully, I'll find a publisher for all this some day.

WrathJW
atheist
WrathJW's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:I'd

spike.barnett wrote:

I'd follow you to hell and back! If it existed that is...

If hell exists then I've got your back.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks, I rather enjoyed

Thanks, I rather enjoyed that essay. I think one of the most difficult things about being black is to contradict or challenge the status quo in the black community which is overwhelmingly religious. From my experience and yours as well it seems, being at all critical of the black church is perceived as counterproductive and detrimental to an institution which has been the one saving grace of the black community.

It's like if I saw a drowning man clutching a piece of driftwood and I said "hey, get in this lifeboat. Let's get to safety". And he says "what do you have against driftwood?". Then I say "this isn't really about driftwood. Look sharks are circling, storm clouds are gathering, and that wood is about to split in half. Let's get the hell out of here." And he says "well, now you're just being high sadity."

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

WrathJW
atheist
WrathJW's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:Thanks, I

Gauche wrote:

Thanks, I rather enjoyed that essay. I think one of the most difficult things about being black is to contradict or challenge the status quo in the black community which is overwhelmingly religious. From my experience and yours as well it seems, being at all critical of the black church is perceived as counterproductive and detrimental to an institution which has been the one saving grace of the black community.

It's like if I saw a drowning man clutching a piece of driftwood and I said "hey, get in this lifeboat. Let's get to safety". And he says "what do you have against driftwood?". Then I say "this isn't really about driftwood. Look sharks are circling, storm clouds are gathering, and that wood is about to split in half. Let's get the hell out of here." And he says "well, now you're just being high sadity."

It is odd and somewhat disheartening the way Black people in this country cling to religion. It is like the dog that licks the hand that smacked it.  Have you read my essay The Invisibility of The Black Atheist? It talks about just what you mentioned above. You can find it at http://wordsofwrath.blogspot.com/2008/05/invisibility-of-black-atheist.html

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
WrathJW wrote:Gauche

WrathJW wrote:

Gauche wrote:

It is odd and somewhat disheartening the way Black people in this country cling to religion. It is like the dog that licks the hand that smacked it.  Have you read my essay The Invisibility of The Black Atheist? It talks about just what you mentioned above. You can find it at http://wordsofwrath.blogspot.com/2008/05/invisibility-of-black-atheist.html

Both the majority of latinos and blacks pushed down my people with prejudice and religious bigotry in California with Prop 8 Sad

It's fucking fantastic to be hated for being atheist AND gay by religious crazies. I'm sure I'm doubly condemned to someone's hell.

So the minorities don't like us, the klan doesn't like us, heck all the supremacy groups don't like us, and the religious majority don't like us.

I have a lot of suppressed anxiety from the situation of gays in this country. There are a lot of them that also go to church and claim religious indoctrination, and I can't even fathom why.

I think it might be because people feel less alone if they believe an invisible father-like being is looking out for them all the time. Maybe it is for some degree of acceptance still within their communities from the religious.

Worst yet, a lot of church leaders and Republicans that stand outright against gays, even going to the degree of trying to make them seem inhuman and pass laws to inflict punishment for a religious victory...are in fact gay themselves, as has been revealed time after time in the past 8 years. Why they would preach things against themselves, and their own actions in particular is just...strange to me.

Heck, look at this Amazon search. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=homosexuality&x=0&y=0

Notice the titles that come up? Yeah. Real empowering guys.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Cory_The_Ration...
User is offlineOffline
amazing. Do you mind if I

amazing. Do you mind if I post the link on my facebook?

WrathJW
atheist
WrathJW's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cory_The_Rational_Dude

Cory_The_Rational_Dude wrote:

amazing. Do you mind if I post the link on my facebook?

Be my guest. glad you enjoyed it.

WrathJW
atheist
WrathJW's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:WrathJW

ClockCat wrote:

WrathJW wrote:

Gauche wrote:

Both the majority of latinos and blacks pushed down my people with prejudice and religious bigotry in California with Prop 8 Sad

It's fucking fantastic to be hated for being atheist AND gay by religious crazies. I'm sure I'm doubly condemned to someone's hell.

So the minorities don't like us, the klan doesn't like us, heck all the supremacy groups don't like us, and the religious majority don't like us.

I have a lot of suppressed anxiety from the situation of gays in this country. There are a lot of them that also go to church and claim religious indoctrination, and I can't even fathom why.

I think it might be because people feel less alone if they believe an invisible father-like being is looking out for them all the time. Maybe it is for some degree of acceptance still within their communities from the religious.

Worst yet, a lot of church leaders and Republicans that stand outright against gays, even going to the degree of trying to make them seem inhuman and pass laws to inflict punishment for a religious victory...are in fact gay themselves, as has been revealed time after time in the past 8 years. Why they would preach things against themselves, and their own actions in particular is just...strange to me.

Heck, look at this Amazon search. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=homosexuality&x=0&y=0

Notice the titles that come up? Yeah. Real empowering guys.

This amazon thing is ridiculous. Many of my books have also been "deranked". I did hear that they had decided to back off  under media and public pressure but I have yet to see it.

One of the things, as you can see by the above essay, that I rail against the most is how religion has made minorities in particular (though certainly not exclusively) intolerant of homosexuals and chauvinistic toward women. It is indeed sad and one more reason religion must be removed from the American consciousness for the good of all.

manofmanynames (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
WrathJW wrote: It was

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!

Ridiculous assertions laid to ruin!

WrathJW
atheist
WrathJW's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:WrathJW

manofmanynames wrote:

WrathJW wrote:

It was clearly forced upon us as a means of pacification. That the church was ultimately used as a tool of freedom was more a testament to the tenacity and ingenuity of those African slaves than anything liberating in the bible or in religion itself.

Well it seems as if you do not have an accurate grasp of history, or at least chose to leave out the important details. It wasn't merely the tenacity and ingenuity of the African slaves that led to the freedom, it was the commitment to prophetic religion, that provided the narrative of hope, a faith in "a way out of no way". It's true, the intention of the slave owners in converting slaves to the christian faith, was for the hope that it would pacify them. The problem was that slaves found themselves relating to the plight of the ancient Hebrews, the Exodus narrative became their own, one need not look further than the Negro spirituals to get a basic breath and grasp of this. The bible wasn't irrelevant, nor did it serve the purpose for those blacks that slave owner intended. Rather than pacification, the text empowered them. Their language and spirit is feathered in it. 

You can accuse them of pick and choosing, as we could even do so with the slave owners who denied slaves their dignity as will, but the truth is that  this supposed "pick and chosen" religion was a vital grounding for their hope and movement. 

I suggest you read Historian David L. Chappell, "A Stone of Hope": 

Quote:
"prophetic religion was the powerful trump card of black insurgency, steeling activists with the morale needed for the long struggle. Early in the bus boycott, King put the case for action in prophetic terms at odds with those of white Christian pacifists and perfectionists: ''It is not enough for us to talk about love. . . There is another side called justice. . . . Justice is love correcting that which revolts against love.''

[...]

Black religion, he notes, counseled ''prophetic resistance to the corrupt tendencies of this world.'' It also inspired solidarity and a willingness to sacrifice for a cause. He is onto something vital in grasping that black religion encouraged a practical confidence that victory might be possible against all odds. ''It is hard to imagine masses of people lining up for years of excruciating risk against Southern sheriffs, fire hoses and attack dogs without some transcendent or millennial faith to sustain them.''

You suggest falsely that the segregationist heavily leaned on their religion, while the blacks didn't, when in fact in the inverse was true:

Quote:
"The segregationists had popular opinion behind them, but not popular conviction,'' for a variety of reasons.Most important, as Chappell shows in riveting detail, they could not lean on religion as did their black neighbors. The decisive fact about the white church was not its aloofness from the black struggle, as King's ''Letter From Birmingham Jail'' had it, but ''that it failed in any meaningful way to join the anti-civil rights movement.'' Even racist ministers did not want to contradict ''the word of God that 'in Christ there is neither bond nor free.' '' The Southern Presbyterians and the Southern Baptist Convention both adopted pro-integration resolutions around 1954. Billy Graham, the symbol of the Great Awakening of Christianity in the 1950's, presided over integrated revivals in Alabama and befriended King, who shared the pulpit with him in Madison Square Garden in 1957 -- troublesome facts gingerly kept at bay by the Southern press. Phobic racism was simply less entrenched than the imagery of redneck virulence suggests."

I'm guessing you are trying to present the spirit of secular humanism rather than religion as the inspiration of the blacks during that time, but how wrong you are:

Quote:
"''The American Dilemma,'' reflected the pervasive liberal belief that racism was a problem of prejudice that would naturally succumb to the American creed and education. Those muscular liberals who had embraced realism in the global arena clung to the fantasy of what the historian David Kennedy called ''a virtually painless exit from the nation's racist history.

Such optimism was not shared by blacks, who did not stress enlightened rationality but the presence of sin and the need for its chastisement. This is the heart of Chappell's argument: prophetic religion was the powerful trump card of black insurgency..."

That's history my friend, you can try and repaint it all you want, but it won't get you two far.

(all quoted material is from the NYTIMES review of "A Stone of Hope": http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/08/books/righteousness-like-a-mighty-stream.html?sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1 )

Looks like you cherry picked my post a bit yourself there. I never claimed that there was a "spirit of secular humanism" that motivated the desegregation movement. Though that was certainly true of The Black Panther Party for Self Defence. What i said was that most churches of the day, both Black and White, opposed desegregation  rather than supported it, including the Vatican, though history has been rewritten somewhat in that regard. That is an simple fact not my opinion. It was a relatively small contigent of Southern Black churches that supported the movement in the beginning. Most were busy trying to quiet those uppity negroes in order to prevent rioting and what was believed at that time to be an inevitable race war. It was much later in the struggle that it began to grow in popularity, most dramatically after the death of Dr. King. 

And you did a little mix and match with my statement about African slaves and your response that dealt with The Civil rights Movement and desegregation. Since the Abolition Movement and the Civil Rights Movement were separated by a couple hundred years, which makes your objection somewhat nonsensical,  I'll just assume you were confused. But to clarify my point once again, the slaves of the antebellum South who were force fed the Christian religion used it as a means of freedom DESPITE the fact that most churches of the day viewed abolitionism as synonymous with atheism because Christ himself commanded slaves to obey their masters and the bible condoned slavery and even prescribed rules governing the treatment of slaves. This was obviously due to the ingenuity of the slaves who recognied the hypocrisy of the slavemasters though, unfortunately, not the fact that the hypocrisy lay not solely with the slavemaster but in the bible itself.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Well it

manofmanynames wrote:

Well it seems as if you do not have an accurate grasp of history, or at least chose to leave out the important details. It wasn't merely the tenacity and ingenuity of the African slaves that led to the freedom, it was the commitment to prophetic religion, that provided the narrative of hope, a faith in "a way out of no way".

The mechanism of projection rides again! Which religion do you suppose influenced the slaves more, the one they brought from Africa, or the one they had to pretend to believe for the first two generations or so? Let's not get too picky about the "important details", when you seem only too eager to give credit to your own cause celebre.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:The

KA-POW!

Incoherent sentences atomized!

User is offlineOffline
WrathJW wrote:Looks like you

BLAM!

Illogical argument annihilated!

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Black

manofmanynames wrote:
Black slaves only "pretended" to believe huh? Like blacks do today huh?

Clearly not what I said, which is why I qualified it with "for the first two generations or so". My point was that they were coerced all around, which doesn't strike me as much of a stretch.

manofmanynames wrote:
Sorry buddy, understanding far more about the psychological and sociological effects of religion than you do

That's presumptuous, even if you were correct.

manofmanynames wrote:
If you posses a far more rational and learned perspective on the role of religion in blacks who sought their liberation, you can go ahead and make it.

It's already been made. The slaves were indoctrinated, and there are no such strong believers as the converted. Slavery was abolished with the help of Christian groups in Britain, sure, but that's like saying that fish swim with the help of water. People were C of E if they were British subjects.

Fast forward to 2009, and in Nashville, Tennessee, two blocks from the gigantic monuments to country music that some people might call houses, you can see the black neighbourhoods, where the descendants of slaves are de facto of another class entirely.

manofmanynames wrote:
Pulling out the silly "projection" card time and time again renders you as being more like a troll, than a serious intellectual contender.

Have I accused you of projection before? Perhaps you were using a different account at the time?

manofmanynames wrote:
rather than relying on the wings of your theistic biases, and dimwitted allegations.

Maybe you take me for someone else. It would be a dimwitted allegation to consider my biases theistic.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

User is offlineOffline
Stillness wrote:Clearly not

BOOM!

Post destroyed!

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
BWOOP BWOOP

BWOOP BWOOP BWOOP!

IRRATIONAL THEIST DETECTED! COMMENCING DESTRUCTION OF POSTS!

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus, Kev -- are you drunk?

Jesus, Kev -- are you drunk? That guy was actually right about my point being weak. I initially made a smart-ass post for no reason, and my point kinda sucked, but I wanted to see if I could claw my way back. Turns out, not really.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
No, I'm not drunk. He said

No, I'm not drunk. He said he was a theist, so I nuked his posts.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:No, I'm

Kevin R Brown wrote:

No, I'm not drunk. He said he was a theist, so I nuked his posts.

OH! This is in the Freethinking Anyonymous forum. My bad.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, fuck. Now I really did

Oh, fuck. Now I really did mess-up.

I meant to erase one of the dude's duplicate posts and just BLAM another... and wound-up killing, like, everybody's. Sad

Should've just blam'd 'em both.

Is there any way to recover them?

(Oh, just for the record: I didn't think his posts were that bad; I was just having some fun at his expense. It's not like the fucking rules are hard to follow, and frankly, this is one circumstance where a boot to the ass was necessary. I'm sure if wrath was interested in having a Christian get all self-righteous over his thoughts he'd have put them in the AvT forum.

I also love how Christians get all sulken-faced whenever suddenly the shoe is on the other foot. They're allowed to run roughshod over everyone's life for the sake of their imaginary friend at almost any venue  (and all all too eager to censor at their own nexi)... but the moment you stamp 'VOID' on that free pass they think they're entitled to, whammo, here comes the temper tantrum, accusations of Fascism and threats of boycott)

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Rips Kevin's heart out and

*Rips Kevin's heart out and eats it*

Damn you.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.