NOM

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
NOM

Props to Mr804 for finding these:

,,,Oh, poor and helpless Christians. Whatever will they do if The Gay are allowed to be married? It essentially strips them of all of their freedoms when two people unrelated to them are allowed to be legal spouses, and when schools teach their children to be tolerant.

/sarcasm

[url=http://www.NationForMarriage.org]Here's their website[/url].

Man, some people are so fucked-up.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't get it. One of women

I don't get it. One of the women in the first commercial said that her freedom will be taken away. Freedom of.......what?

Edit: Lol, rainbow coalition.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
The freedom to... err....

The freedom to... err.... um... not live in a society where gays are allowed to be married?

Yeah! Ha! SEE? THEYRE TAKING YOUR FREEDOMS AWAY! NEXT THING YOU KNOW THEYLL BE SHOVING YOU INTO A CHAMBER AT AUSWITZ!

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I don't get it. One of

Quote:

I don't get it. One of the women in the first commercial said that her freedom will be taken away. Freedom of.......what?

Isn't it obvious? Her freedom to impinge upon the freedom of others. And don't worry about the blatant absurdity and internal contradiction present in that thought process. They're Christian, thus impervious to all forms of reason.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
OK, so gay marriage pushes

OK, so gay marriage pushes the issue into their lives, that's just hilarious. Couldn't they just avoid going to gay marriages and whenever they see two men or two women holding hands assume that they're just a "same sex couple"...

Yeah, seriously fucked up as always. Where do these people get off thinking that their rights are somehow more important than everyone else's, especially on an issue that affects them in such a minuscule way.

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
 If my dad married a man,

If my dad married a man, who would be my mom?!

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
These are seriously

These are seriously horrendously horrible. WORST ACTING EVER. They're parodies of themselves. Great find! What a riot. Ohhhh noooesss a new wave of thinking!!!

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:THEYRE

Kevin R Brown wrote:

THEYRE TAKING YOUR FREEDOMS AWAY! NEXT THING YOU KNOW THEYLL BE SHOVING YOU INTO A CHAMBER AT AUSWITZ!

Genius. Smiling

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
 WHERE IS YOUR FREEDOM NOW

WHERE IS YOUR FREEDOM NOW ATHEISTS!!!???

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
mr804 wrote: If my dad

mr804 wrote:

If my dad married a man, who would be my mom?!

You would be aborted, and the evil atheists would use your stem cells to make Frankenstein!

Jesus said it all in the Bible. John 5:4 says

"For"

Now what Jesus means by this is that Gays are responsible for evil Frankenstein abortions. Remember, kids: you don't want to create a clone army of undead foetuses, do you? Neither does Jesus.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Also, I saw "NOM" and I

Also, I saw "NOM" and I thought this would be about cookies.

"Cookies? NOMNOMNOM!"

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: Also, I

HisWillness wrote:

"Cookies? NOMNOMNOM!"

Me too. ANOM NOM.

This kind of shit makes me angry. It's like they live their lives with the sole intent of making everyone else unhappy. If there's such a thing as freewill these people don't deserve it...

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:,,,Oh,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

,,,Oh, poor and helpless Christians. Whatever will they do if The Gay are allowed to be married? It essentially strips them of all of their freedoms when two people unrelated to them are allowed to be legal spouses, and when schools teach their children to be tolerant.

Man, some people are so fucked-up.

You'd think that these people were being forced into gay relationships, but no it has not a thing at all to do with them. There are many things that other people do that I don't like. Some drink cheap tequilla. Some live in Texas. Some people watch reality TV. 

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
 "Many of those people

"Many of those people involved with Adolf Hitler were Satanists, many of them were homosexuals - the two things seem to go together." 
--The 700 Club, January 21, 1993

There you have it. A History lesson from uncle Pat.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
mr804 wrote: "Many of those

mr804 wrote:

"Many of those people involved with Adolf Hitler were Satanists, many of them were homosexuals - the two things seem to go together." 
--The 700 Club, January 21, 1993

There you have it. A History lesson from uncle Pat.

Is this satire? Are they serious?

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Also, I saw "NOM" and

Quote:

And you foolishly fell into the trap.

Hahaha. Hahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Now you must forfeit your freedom to THE GAY.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Quote:I

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

Isn't it obvious? Her freedom to impinge upon the freedom of others. And don't worry about the blatant absurdity and internal contradiction present in that thought process. They're Christian, thus impervious to all forms of reason.

I suppose, technically, I already knew the answer to my question, but it felt like such an obvious question to ask. The logic here is so painfully simple, that I don't understand how it can be compartmentalized, for clearly, the woman that mournfully claimed that her freedom was being taken away wasn't consciously thinking, 'my freedom to impinge upon the rights of others.' So, what was she thinking? I, for one, have absolutely no idea.

*bangs head against wall*

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

I suppose, technically, I already knew the answer to my question, but it felt like such an obvious question to ask. The logic here is so painfully simple, that I don't understand how it can be compartmentalized, for clearly, the woman that mournfully claimed that her freedom was being taken away wasn't consciously thinking, 'my freedom to impinge upon the rights of others.' So, what was she thinking? I, for one, have absolutely no idea.

*bangs head against wall*

I am guessing from the overall theme of the ad that the "freedom" she is referring to she'd call the "freedom to practice her religion" - which is, of course, as DG said, the practice of impinging on the rights of others in various ways by various means. Not unlike any other extremist religious following they might condemn this christian right is content to defend unconscionable behaviour by arguing their right to "practice their religion". I reckon that is what she is thinking, don't you?

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
That is hilarious.

That is hilarious. Smiling

[sarcasm]

I don't know constitution very well, but is there or is there not an amendment mentioning right to limit rights of others. Laughing out loud

[/sarcasm]

Though I feel angered because there will be many people taking these advertisements seriously.

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I thought that

Well, I thought that the intent of the first video was pretty obvious. They covered three potential consequences that had nothing to do with gay marriage.

First up is the woman who claimed to be a doctor in California who would have to choose between her job and her faith. Obviously, that is about abortion.

Second would be the guy in a church in New Jersey who is being discriminated against because they do not care for gay marriage. OK, how are they being discriminated against?

Finally, we have the mother in Massachusetts who is worried that her kid is learning in school that gay marriage in acceptable. Um, can't parents still teach their kids what they want at home (and I am not talking about home schooling on this one)?

Entirely without going into the specifics on the matter, what I see here is little different from a standard technique known as astroturfing. Basically, they are trying to appeal to a diverse group of people who care about a bunch of things and present that they are creating a grassroots movement when the reality is that there is a fairly well connected group in the shadows.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 deludedgod wrote:And don't

deludedgod wrote:
And don't worry about the blatant absurdity and internal contradiction present in that thought process. They're Christian, thus impervious to all forms of reason.

I think this is my new favorite quote.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:

Ciarin wrote:

"http://www.youtube.com/v/MmVACvVQwSc&hl=en&fs=1"

Oh yeah, that's right, they believe that gaff about bringing down the wrath of god on us all if we leave others alone to live their lives , don't they? Good find Ciarin.

OOH those evil homosexuals are courting the favour of the devil with their desire to legally marry each other! We'll all BURN for this!!

I guess this is that "winning power for Jesus movement" again, right? They think we should have god in the halls of government making the rules that we live by... funny but I distinctly recall reading about Jesus not wanting anything to do with the government of nations, you know "render unto Caesar" and that sort of thing, the only grab for power he was wont to get involved in IIRC was the church's power, and then wasn't he frequently "reported" to be against politicking by god's people? Am I wrong?

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is my blog post to

This is my blog post to nom:

To NOM-

Regarding the definition of marriage and "redefining" it.

Marriage has several definitions, some of which have nothing to do with people. Throughout time, marriage has had meanings changed. It has never simply meant "between a man and a woman". Sometimes it was several women and one man(which still occurs in some parts of the world). It also had the meaning of "one white woman, and one white man". The word marriage comes from the Latin 'maritare', which means "give a husband to".

This sacred institution has gone through a myriad of roles. It's a way to handle property rights, inheritance, etc. It was a contract to gain land and title, and protect bloodlines. A way to end feuds. Woman were used to get a bride price, or a dowry, through arranged marriages(which still occur). Love was rarely involved.

Regardless of all that. The most important thing you must realize: it is not actually possible to legislate a definition. The gov't doesn't have the power to make marriage defined in only one way(be it your way or anyone else's). The nature of language just doesn't allow for that. If this were possible then etymology wouldn't exist, because we'd all speak the same way we did thousands of years ago. Language evolves, we see this throughout our lifetime. Think of the word "web". Did you think spider or did you think internet? How about the word "text", is it a noun or a verb? A hundred years ago "cool" only referred to temperature. Thousands of examples. It's called common usage, and yes sometimes I dislike common usage. Because of this we have words like "irregardless" and "ain't". The point being that if enough people use the word marriage as "2 consenting adults in wedlock" then that's what it's going to mean. You can no more force everyone to use one particular definition than you can force everyone to use the word "gay" to mean "happy".

You and all your anti-gay pals are just going to have to accept that.

I suspect this whole thing isn't about definitions at all. It's more likely because the bible says "god hates gays" and "marriage is good" so you musn't let those evil gays get married. Too bad for you, you have no control over it. The controversy isn't actually about gay people getting married, because they can do that anyway. It's about the gov't recognizing the marriage and giving them the same benefits and rights.

See how I used 'marriage' and didn't have to preface it with gay but you still understood what I was saying? That's common usage.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh come now, Ciarin. No

Oh come now, Ciarin. No amount of that well thought out line of reasoning will ever penetrate their Biblical glasses.

You should've just had some fun at their expense by posting Cookie Monster vids:

EDIT: ...Okay, just one more. Man, I miss Jim Henson so much.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have season one of the

I have season one of the muppet show and a season 4 disc set of fraggle rock on DVD.

pwnt.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a VHS copy of The

I have a VHS copy of The Dark Crystal signed by Frank Oz and Jim Henson.

...What were yu saying about pwnt?

Sticking out tongue

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:I have a

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I have a VHS copy of The Dark Crystal signed by Frank Oz and Jim Henson.

...What were yu saying about pwnt?

Sticking out tongue

I have a calendar signed by William Shatner.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 My dad went to high school

My dad went to high school with William Shatner. In Montreal -- no kidding.

"No cookie, no guessing game from clues. Arrivederci, frog!"

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: My dad

HisWillness wrote:

My dad went to high school with William Shatner. In Montreal -- no kidding.

"No cookie, no guessing game from clues. Arrivederci, frog!"

Oh yeah well I know god and he talks to me everyday. Beat that one you atheist. Oh wait, you can't! HAHAHAHA And I know jesus too. That's two omnipotent beings that I know and you don't.

But seriously I took a look on their site and they seem to keep mentioning that people call them "bigots" for their views on the issue. That's there word too, I'm not just paraphrasing the site, they repeat it multiple times on every page. Reading their website it almost seems as if they are against people not liking them because they are against gay marriage. Seriously that's like us trying to ban religion because they think we're satanic baby eater. Or maybe we should, although i think hate speech laws are for the most ridiculous if you said some of the things that they say are replace 'atheist' with 'black, jew, etc...' you'd probably get a call from the police telling you to stop.

[edit]

I rewatched the one with the kids and at the end the narrator says "A mariage means a mom and a dad..." That's right a mom and a dad not a man and a woman. These people need to look over their scripts and read how ridiculous their wording is. If this hadn't been at the end where it isn't emphasised much it would almost seem that they're against couple who marry without the intent of children.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stosis wrote:I rewatched the

Stosis wrote:

I rewatched the one with the kids and at the end the narrator says "A mariage means a mom and a dad..." That's right a mom and a dad not a man and a woman. These people need to look over their scripts and read how ridiculous their wording is. If this hadn't been at the end where it isn't emphasised much it would almost seem that they're against couple who marry without the intent of children.

They're against people marrying without first having children together, it seems.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah. So there against

Ah. So they're against weddings that aren't shotgun, then, I guess.

That sort of reminds me of a debate I had with a recent Catholic convert. He was going on about how the whole purpose of sex is to procreate and that those that aren't are going against god's will, and someone asked "Does that mean that infertile people are breaking god's law?" His answer: "Yes."

That raised a shit-storm the likes of which I'd never seen before- even the other Christians were all over him.

He was (still is, probably) quite the twit. I feel sorry for Japan (where he's living) and for the university students he teaches (he's a Medievalist- not surprisingly). And I feel sorry for his kids. But I feel sorry for any kids who are getting indoctrinated- and that covers a WIDE range of children.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's a storm coming... a

There's a storm coming... a GAY storm!

Fortunately there's a rainbow coalition that will stand against the Gays...

lol wut? Won't both sides be confused where to stand?

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Holy Shit, Muppets/Seasme

Holy Shit, Muppets/Seasme Street is the most cracktastic, joyous stoner humor (it makes you pretty stoned watching it) in the entire world. I didn't realize how hysterical it was until I got older.

This is my response to NOM.

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, the most

Actually, the most 'cracktastic, joyous stoner humor' is Teletubbies. It's a scientific fact!

And H.R. Puffinstuff would be higher (hur hur) on the list if it weren't so damn disturbing.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Did somebody mention 70's TV

Did somebody mention 70's TV from hell?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
NOM's executive director was

NOM's executive director was interviewed on NPR the other day, and I could hardly keep from hurling.

It's interesting how the anti-gay marriage folks were all pissed when local municipalities starting allowing gay marriage a few years ago and they demanded judicial intervention. The courts then started allowing gay marriage, so then there were cries for state legislatures to decide instead of those damned "activist judges". Then Vermont's legislature approves gay marriage, and now NOM is calling for ballot initiatives because "the legislature doesn't truly represent the people".

They're getting backed up against a wall.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Why, uhmmmm, that felt like acid just watching it. The funny thing is I have vauge memories of watching this as a child. I also think its interesting to point out that the scenes change very quickly and make absolutely no sense. It seems more ADD inducing than modern cartoons

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can 'one up' this one.I

I can 'one up' this one.

I know who owns the domain 2m4m.org and he is using it to parody/respond to this already.

cambler.livejournal.com

www.2m4m.org

In the main entry there is a link to the FAQ. The New Jersey question is answered there at the bottom.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Facepalms* ...I get the

*Facepalms*

...I get the feeling, lately, that the far right is just so up against the wall in recent times that they now just intentionally go out and make themselves look stupid and/or crazy to get attention.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Ok now im stoned and this movie is fucking awesome. There's character called "the yomgi bongi bo" how can you beat that. I've never done acide before but i've deceided to do it with a couple of friends next week, Entirely so i can figure this video out

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Oh, I can beat that easily.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Monty Python FTWAlthough the

Monty Python FTW

Although the universe song space sequence is much more addictive.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes it is. Though 'Always

Yes it is. Though 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' is even better.

BTW- that '70s animated cartoon clip raped my eyes. They demand justice.

OrdinaryClay wrote:

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
crazymonkie wrote: BTW- that

crazymonkie wrote:

BTW- that '70s animated cartoon clip raped my eyes. They demand justice.

I couldn't watch it. It's filmed in this bleak, washed out weirdness that makes me feel...bad. lol

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

*Facepalms*

...I get the feeling, lately, that the far right is just so up against the wall in recent times that they now just intentionally go out and make themselves look stupid and/or crazy to get attention.

I have close relatives on the "right" and they are acting like cornered wild animals. They are extremely vicious in attitude (because of Obama’s election to the presidency, the government bailouts, gay marriage, among other things.

They think their precious white christian free market capitalist nation is on the brink of total annihilation. It is something to watch with wariness.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
<object width="425"

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
peppermint wrote:Oh, I

peppermint wrote:
Oh, I can beat that easily.

Beat this:

http://70.85.109.171/albino_flash11s/tdcm(www.albinoblacksheep.com).swf

Edit:  Crap!  the forum is forcing the link to do what it should not.  You will have to cut and paste to get there.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Best one EVER:  

Best one EVER: