The Evidence for Collective Consciousness

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Evidence for Collective Consciousness

Below is a link to a "YouTube" video furnished by the "GlobalOnessProject." Here parapyschologist Dean Radin discusses the results of an ongoing experiment  to test for what effect, if any, that the collective "attentiveness" of a group of human beings may exert on random number generators. The experiment is fairly simple. Can the attentiveness of a group of people change what is intrinsically a random and disorderly process into one that exhibits order? The theory is that the more human beings who participate, the greater the effect. I think the results provide evidence that minds are "entangled" and can be forged to form a collective consciousness. The implications for both science and religion should be obvious. 

Now, I have learned from past experience that there are more than a few individuals on this forum who suffer from ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). That's unfortunate, because this disorder prevents you from not only achieving a long enough attention span to watch a simple video but also from making a major contribution to the collective consciousness. Truly, you have my sympathy. However, for the purposes of this thread, I must insist that you at least attempt to muster up enough energy to watch the video in its entirety before you embark on your drive-by tour, flinging snide comments as you pass by. It's only 9 minutes and 47 seconds long! Yes, I realize from your perspective that this is entirely too long. However, I have FAITH in you and TRUST that you will find the necessary focus to meet this duanting challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnvJfkI5NVc

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
crazymonkie wrote:Whoa,

crazymonkie wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Not all science says weak emergence is true and strong emergence is false. What you're trying, and failing, to do here is try to make it seem like *all* hypotheses about emergence in science are weak and then say "This is stupid." It's simply not the case- there are a broad range of ideas about emergence in all sorts of fields, and they are certainly not all reductionist.

I would say there is no such thing as "weak" emergence or "strong" emergence. There is only emergence. The distinction between the two seems a bit like the distinction between "micro" and "macro" evolution, when in fact neither exists: there is only evolution. Both distinctions state that there is some magic complexity barrier that keeps one from becoming the other. (As an aside, "strong" emergence also smacks vaguely of Behe's irreducible complexity.)

For instance, there's Paisley's strawman about how materialists believe "consciousness emerges from insentient bits of matter in motion." This is simply not the case; the current understanding of intelligence is far more complex than that, involving several more levels of emergence. This is similar to expressing disbelief in genetics simply because you can't derive the behaviour of DNA directly from the properties of quarks.

Just as "macro" evolution is simply a series of "micro" evolutions, so "strong" emergence is nothing more than a series of "weak" emergence. In reality, it's still just plain old emergence. The distinction between the two is one of epistemology, not ontology.

As for reductionism: I think there is a distinction betwen epistemology and ongology there, as well. We are most certainly made up of quarks, and yet we cannot describe ourselves in terms of quarks. Yes, we are more than the sum of our parts. But that is no surprise: things don't combine in summation, they combine exponentially. It is fairly trivial to determine how three quarks will combine. It is far less trivial to determine how 30 quarks combine. It is epistemically impossible to go from X number of quarks to human.

And yet it is ontologically certain that I am made up of X quarks. The fact that you can't derive that from the quarks makes this no less certain.

That is the strawman with which we are presented. Consciousness can't be epistemically derived from those insentient bits of matter, certainly. That doesn't mean consciousness isn't built solely from those insentient bits of matter.

Anyway, I was mostly just responding to the unspoken acceptance of strong and weak emergence. I don't believe there is a distinction. Nor do I believe one can make an ontological argument for the distnction. So far the arguments I've seen have all been epistemic in nature. A "philosophy of the gaps," if you will.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Paisley

nigelTheBold wrote:
Paisley wrote:

I've read the article regarding CDT in Scientific American. It does not account for quantum indeterminacy.

The Scientific American article I read certainly explained that. Basically, it states that, at the planck scale, the universe is fractal. This accounts for the statistical nature of quantum events. The only way you wouldn't have quantum randomness was if the universe were smooth at those scales. CDT says the universe is not smooth.

It starts with the fact that spacetime is constantly changing due to quantum fluctuations at or near the Planck scale.

Quote:
It is widely accepted that, at the very smallest scales space is not static, but is instead dynamically-varying. Near the Planck scale, the structure of spacetime itself is constantly changing, due to quantum fluctuations. This theory uses a triangulation process which is dynamically-varying and follows deterministic rules, or is dynamical, to map out how this can evolve into dimensional spaces similar to that of our universe.

(source: Wikipedia: Causal dynamical triangulation)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causal_dynamical_triangulation

By the way, quantum indeterminism is not your only problem. Materialism cannot account for quantum entanglement or a nonlocal universe.

nigelTheBold wrote:
So again, CDT is more parsimonious than CCC. It's actually quite exciting, as it describes a universe that has 2 dimensions at the planck scale, and 4 dimensions at "our" scale. That means the geometry of the universe is fractal on several levels, which is just weird, and very cool.

That the structure of consciousness is fractal has been known to mystics from time immemorial.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Never say never

Paisley wrote:

By the way, quantum indeterminism is not your only problem. Materialism cannot account for quantum entanglement or a nonlocal universe.

For a strictly-causal, materialistic description of entanglement, check out the recent works of Joy Christian. Basically, it's a disproof of Bell's Theorem. Christian even proposes an experiment.

By the way, overcoming lack of experimental evidence is not your only problem. Dualism cannot account for the alteration of consciousness due to phsyical alteration of the brain.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Paisley wrote:BobSpence1

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Also, irrespective of the results of the GCP, parapsychologists have already produced experimental results to establish that precognition is a real phenomenon.

That's debatable, but at least you have to concede that the 9-11 RHG record was not evidence for precognition, unless the RNG's were the doing it...

I will concede that in this particular case the evidence is not conclusive. However, I will not concede that there is no evidence for precognition.

BobSpence1 wrote:
Paisley wrote:
What exactly are you objecting to here? The experimental design? Or, the logical impossibility of precognition itself?

Simply that you can't both attempt to explain the anomaly (the mismatch in timing) by assuming some sort of precognition, AND use it as evidence for precognition. On further thought, that may not be strictly true, depending on the availability of alternative explanations, which in this case are readily available in the form of chance. IOW the explanation for mismatched data is highly likely to be that this is just one of the many such deviations that occur with no obvious correlation.

The only problem with your analysis is that Radin and Nelson have calculated the odds against chance for the entire project, which at this time stands as a million to one.

That is irrelevant to what I was discussing there, namely that the 9/11 data is neither a good data match nor does it support precognition in any meaningful way. The FACT that the event which by any measure had arguably the biggest impact on global consciousness over the whole period of the test so far produced such a poor match is a serious problem for the hypothesis. It isn't just the fact that the deviation from randomness preceded the event itself that is a problem, it has been shown that small changes in the correlation parameters remove any match signal altogether.

The reliance of the hypothesis on comparing signals over a large number of events which are inherently imprecisely defined in significance and magnitude is still a problem, and by definition involve a strong subjective component for selection (we are talking about mental states after all when we refer to 'consciousness' after all)  makes it almost impossible to ensure that some subtle selection bias is not present.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
Paisley wrote:
This is ridiculous. The only deterministic interpretations/theories of QM are Everett's "many worlds" interpretation and Bohm's "pilot wave theory." Both have major metaphysical implications and I am more than happy to discuss the implications.

CCC (consciousness causes the collapse of the wave function) interpretation is clearly the most parsimonious.

No. You didn't get it. The wave function itself is precisely described by the math - it is determined.

Probabilistically determined simply means that you can determine the probabilities, not the actual outcome. The former is the determinate aspect, the latter is the indeterminate aspect!

The probability of the event occurring in any given time interval is determined, the fact that the event is going to occur at all is determined by the prior energy state of the system, the actual timing is unpredictable but matches the statistics of an ideal pure random variable. Nothing in this is incompatible with scientific naturalism, and in no way points to anything dualistic or supernatural. There would only be an issue if it departed from such statistical behavior, as is hypothesized in the GCP analysis.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
If CCC is valid it is still deterministic - you yourself are claiming it is caused, by observation. It may not be obviously materialistic, to refer to your favorite straw-man, but if it directly caused by some other action, it is, by definition, deterministic. The actual state into which it collapses is determined by the state of the wave-function at that instant...

If consciousness collapses the wave function, then it is free will that causes the wave function to collapse. Free will implies self-determinism.

By the way, while materialism entails determinism by definition, the converse is not necessarily true. IOW, determinism does not necessarily imply materialism.

'Free' will choices or decisions are still determined by the state of your mind, including all the other thoughts, feelings, desires, sensory input, etc, at the time, otherwise it makes no sense. IOW you still have to demonstrate that there are decisions or choices that are not so determined, ie not based on other mental states or events.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
Paisley wrote:
But subjectivity is an objective fact of existence. Indeed, without it, we would not be having this debate.

Which I have never denied. My point was that 'free will' in particular is a purely subjective feeling with no actual demonstrable meaning outside that feeling. I was a little glib in letting that description apply to 'final causation', which is a dubious concept implying reverse causation or some other equally questionable idea.

There is no scientific evidence that demonstrates the free will is purely illusory. You're simply stating an opinion, not a scientific fact. Also, the laws of physics are time symmetrical. In fact, physicist John Cramer (University of Washington) will be conducting an experiment to test for quantum retrocausality.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/292378_timeguy15.html

As I said above, there is no scientific evidence that free will not 'illusory', either - It ultimately is not a coherent concept as anything other than a feeling. Your view is at least as much an opinion as mine.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
Paisley wrote:
The materialist is asking us to believe that consciousness somehow magically emerges from insentient electrochemical processes. The only problem with this explanation is that your worldview precludes the possibility of magic or miracles.

My point was that there is nothing magical required. Sentience is a process requiring complex structures of systematically interacting elements. 

You obviously neither accept or understand emergence, which is a topic for another thread perhaps.

I understand the concept of emergence. And I never said that I didn't accept it. However, I do have a problem with materialists employing the term in regards to consciousness. Simply saying that consciousness emerges when some level of complexity is achieved is tantamount to magic.

There are two forms of emergence - weak and strong. Weak emergence is reductionistic. Strong emergence is not; it's holistic -and it is probably best understood by the expression "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts." Weak emergence is what is invoked in science. Strong emergence is invoked in philosophy - mainly for supervenient theories of mind.

Now, I can understand how a higher-level "collective mind" can emerge through the unity of lower-level constituent minds. This idea is at least logically plausible. But the idea that consciousness emerges from insentient bits of matter in motion simply when a certain complexity level is achieved is just plain absurd.

This corresponds pretty closely with my view, and is patently NOT absurd:

Wikipedia wrote:

However, "the debate about whether or not the whole can be predicted from the properties of the parts misses the point. Wholes produce unique combined effects, but many of these effects may be co-determined by the context and the interactions between the whole and its environment(s)." (Corning 2002) Along that same thought, Arthur Koestler stated, "it is the synergistic effects produced by wholes that are the very cause of the evolution of complexity in nature" and used the metaphor of Janus to illustrate how the two perspectives (strong or holistic vs. weak or reductionistic) should be treated as perspectives, not exclusives, and should work together to address the issues of emergence.(Koestler 1969) Further,

"The ability to reduce everything to simple fundamental laws does not imply the ability to start from those laws and reconstruct the universe..The constructionist hypothesis breaks down when confronted with the twin difficulties of scale and complexity. At each level of complexity entirely new properties appear. Psychology is not applied biology, nor is biology applied chemistry. We can now see that the whole becomes not merely more, but very different from the sum of its parts."(Anderson 1972)

Yes, it would be absurd to assert that "consciousness emerges from insentient bits of matter in motion simply when a certain complexity level is achieved", especially when you use the word 'simply'. The emergence of consciousness is extremely far from simple. That is the point. Only a very specific type of complex structure will support consciousness.

The path by which such intuitively unexpected properties emerge from from progressively more complex systems of simpler elements is itself typically complex, typically requiring something analagous to the evolutionary algorithm ie, random variation + selection.

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
Paisley wrote:
The bottom line is that the materialist is forced by the logical dictates of his worldview to admit that all intentional acts are ultimately illusory.

Only the strictly reductionist materialist.

The supervenient theory of mind (which is non-reductive) is actually dualistic, not materialistic.

Not particularly relevant to my response - there are a whole range of theories which are neither strictly reductionist nor dualistic. 

Quote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
I have already pointed out, ad nauseum, that this whole determinism/indeterministic/nondeterministic set of concepts do not do justice to the modern insights into these things.

I don't care how sick it makes you. Indeterminism is NOT compatible with materialism. And the fact that you are vacillating on this topic leads me to believe that your nausea will continue.

For the Nth time, irrelevant observation, since my view is not materialism in the way you appear define it.

Note my previous comment.

You perceive vaccillation, as you attempt to fit my claims into one of your pre-conceived categories, not recognizing that my world-view is, in terms of your categorization of the range of theories and possible world-views, "none of the above". I will admit to some movement as I try to find a way to express my PoV in a way that you might actually understand.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:That the

Paisley wrote:

That the structure of consciousness is fractal has been known to mystics from time immemorial.

Show us a reference that supports that statement. Actually the theory discussed does not assert or imply that consciousness is fractal, anyway.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:I would

nigelTheBold wrote:
I would say there is no such thing as "weak" emergence or "strong" emergence. There is only emergence. The distinction between the two seems a bit like the distinction between "micro" and "macro" evolution, when in fact neither exists: there is only evolution. Both distinctions state that there is some magic complexity barrier that keeps one from becoming the other. (As an aside, "strong" emergence also smacks vaguely of Behe's irreducible complexity.)

Said much better than I ever could. Damn me and my focus on the liberal arts!

I'm sure that the 'strong versus weak emergence' thing *did* come from Behe, or one of his clones.

The rest of this post:

Pure

fucking

gold.

This is why I love coming here. I learn something new almost every time.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
crazymonkie

crazymonkie wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

Said much better than I ever could. Damn me and my focus on the liberal arts!

I'm sure that the 'strong versus weak emergence' thing *did* come from Behe, or one of his clones.

The rest of this post:

Pure

fucking

gold.

This is why I love coming here. I learn something new almost every time.

Thanks. I'm glad it came out coherently. I was suffering from my second sequential night of insomnia when I wrote that.

I did make one glaring mistake, though, that I should correct now: I should really have also mentioned leptons, or used fermions and bosons instead. But "quarks" has suck a great sound.

That the structure of matter is quarks has been known to the ravens from time immemorial.

(See, because ravens make the "quark" noise, and Paisley said... oh, never mind.)

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Dualism

nigelTheBold wrote:

Dualism cannot account for the alteration of consciousness due to phsyical alteration of the brain.

And we're back. One more time around the merry-go-round? Why not?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Paisley

BobSpence1 wrote:
Paisley wrote:

That the structure of consciousness is fractal has been known to mystics from time immemorial.

Show us a reference that supports that statement. Actually the theory discussed does not assert or imply that consciousness is fractal, anyway.

The "paisley" pattern or design is most-likely derived from the mystical expriences associated with shamanism (probably the most primitive and ubiquitous form of religious practice). The colorful pattern permeated the psychedelic art of the counterculture movement of the 1960's.

Quote:
Paisley was particularly popular during the Summer of Love, heavily identified with psychedelic style and the interest in Indian spirituality and culture brought about by the pilgrimage of The Beatles there in 1968.

(source: Wikipedia: Paisley (design) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paisley_(design)

The subsequent digital revolution ushered in a new era of psychedelic art when it was discovered that computer generated fractals bore a striking resemblance to the psychedelic visual experience. Indeed, Timothy Leary himself called the computer generated fractals the "new LSD."

Quote:
Computer art has allowed for an even greater and more profuse expression of psychedelic vision. Fractal generating software gives an accurate depiction of psychedelic hallucinatory patterns, but even more importantly 2D and 3D graphics software allow for unparalleled freedom of image manipulation. Much of the graphics software seems to permit a direct translation of the psychedelic vision. The "digital revolution" was indeed heralded early on as the "New LSD" by none other than Timothy Leary.

(source: Wikipedia: Psychedelic art)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_art

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
Paisley wrote:

That the structure of consciousness is fractal has been known to mystics from time immemorial.

Show us a reference that supports that statement. Actually the theory discussed does not assert or imply that consciousness is fractal, anyway.

The "paisley" pattern or design is most-likely derived from the mystical expriences associated with shamanism (probably the most primitive and ubiquitous form of religious practice). The colorful pattern permeated the psychedelic art of the counterculture movement of the 1960's.

Quote:
Paisley was particularly popular during the Summer of Love, heavily identified with psychedelic style and the interest in Indian spirituality and culture brought about by the pilgrimage of The Beatles there in 1968.

(source: Wikipedia: Paisley (design) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paisley_(design)

The subsequent digital revolution ushered in a new era of psychedelic art when it was discovered that computer generated fractals bore a striking resemblance to the psychedelic visual experience. Indeed, Timothy Leary himself called the computer generated fractals the "new LSD."

Quote:
Computer art has allowed for an even greater and more profuse expression of psychedelic vision. Fractal generating software gives an accurate depiction of psychedelic hallucinatory patterns, but even more importantly 2D and 3D graphics software allow for unparalleled freedom of image manipulation. Much of the graphics software seems to permit a direct translation of the psychedelic vision. The "digital revolution" was indeed heralded early on as the "New LSD" by none other than Timothy Leary.

(source: Wikipedia: Psychedelic art)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_art

Not quite proof they truly understood the concept of a 'fractal', but arguable. Doesn't really demonstrate that they thought "structure of consciousness is fractal", let alone prove that that assumption is actually true.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
crazymonkie wrote:Also:

crazymonkie wrote:
Also:
Quote:
I understand the concept of emergence. And I never said that I didn't accept it. However, I do have a problem with materialists employing the term in regards to consciousness. Simply saying that consciousness emerges when some level of complexity is achieved is tantamount to magic.

Not really. It's tantamount to saying "We don't know yet."

The problem is that they are making unsubstantiated assertions, implying that they do know.

crazymonkie wrote:
Paisley wrote:
There are two forms of emergence - weak and strong. Weak emergence is reductionistic. Strong emergence is not; it's holistic -and it is probably best understood by the expression "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts." Weak emergence is what is invoked in science. Strong emergence is invoked in philosophy - mainly for supervenient theories of mind.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Not all science says weak emergence is true and strong emergence is false. What you're trying, and failing, to do here is try to make it seem like *all* hypotheses about emergence in science are weak and then say "This is stupid." It's simply not the case- there are a broad range of ideas about emergence in all sorts of fields, and they are certainly not all reductionist.

The key word in your response is "hypotheses."

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:The problem is

Paisley wrote:
The problem is that they are making unsubstantiated assertions, implying that they do know.

I have no idea what debate you've been following here, but I've been following the one where the unsubstantiated assertions are coming from the dualist camp, not the physicalist camp.

You say "Simply saying that consciousness emerges when some level of complexity is achieved is tantamount to magic."

I say "Bullshit."

What was I saying 'bullshit' to? Your use of the term 'magic', when what others are talking about is 'unknown.'

Paisley wrote:
The key word in your response is "hypotheses."

Uh, yeah. I know it's a fucking hypotheis dipshit. It doesn't have enough evidence to be a scientific theory yet; at some point it may, but... honestly I don't know what you're trying to do. Make it seem like your position is stronger because the physicalist side has a bit of data and some ideas, while you just have some ideas? Make it seem like I was trying to hide something?

Neither makes your case stronger- it just makes you look petty and stupid.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Not quite

BobSpence1 wrote:
Not quite proof they truly understood the concept of a 'fractal', but arguable. Doesn't really demonstrate that they thought "structure of consciousness is fractal", let alone prove that that assumption is actually true.

Agreed. I am fairly confident that the shamans didn't understand the concept of fractals in mathematical terms. And I doubt if any of the Harvard professors experimenting with LSD in the 1960's undertood the concept either (Benoit Mandelbrot didn't actually coin the term until the mid-1970's). However, that really wasn't my point. My point was that mystics have visually experienced in altered states of consciousness what can undoubtedly be described as fractal geometry. This feat was accomplished without the aid of computer graphics. (Keep in mind that I made the comment in regards to the CDT theory, which postulates that the substrate of the universe may be fractal in nature.)

That being said, the belief that the structure of consciousness (or the divine mind) is in some sense mathematical is ancient (e.g. Platonic forms).

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Agreed. I am fairly confident that the shamans didn't understand the concept of fractals in mathematical terms. And I doubt if any of the Harvard professors experimenting with LSD in the 1960's undertood the concept either (Benoit Mandelbrot didn't actually coin the term until the mid-1970's). However, that really wasn't my point. My point was that mystics have visually experienced in altered states of consciousness what can undoubtedly be described as fractal geometry. This feat was accomplished without the aid of computer graphics. (Keep in mind that I made the comment in regards to the CDT theory, which postulates that the substrate of the universe may be fractal in nature.)

That being said, the belief that the structure of consciousness (or the divine mind) is in some sense mathematical is ancient (e.g. Platonic forms).

That is a pretty meaningless statement. Do you mean that some aspects of consciousness show some degree of regularity? Because that applies to virtual everything that is not totally 'formless'.

Platonic idealism is a total fallacy. It has misled thinkers for millennia.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:That is a

BobSpence1 wrote:
That is a pretty meaningless statement. Do you mean that some aspects of consciousness show some degree of regularity? Because that applies to virtual everything that is not totally 'formless'.

It has a fractal aspect. This should not be miscontrued to mean that it is completely deterministic.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Cantor was a platonist (as most mathematicians are). And his set theory (which is actually a form of theology) forms the basis for modern mathematics.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

It has a fractal aspect. This should not be miscontrued to mean that it is completely deterministic.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Cantor was a platonist (as most mathematicians are). And his set theory (which is actually a form of theology) forms the basis for modern mathematics.

The thrashing sound you hear is Paisley spinning his definitions again.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:It starts with

Paisley wrote:
It starts with the fact that spacetime is constantly changing due to quantum fluctuations at or near the Planck scale.

I can't remember if anyone has pointed out this continuing fallacy of composition.

"An informal fallacy in which an inference is mistakenly drawn from the attributes of the parts of a whole to the attributes of the whole itself" (Copi, Cohen 2005)

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Platonic

BobSpence1 wrote:

A propos of my last comment: Platonic idealism is an example of something that manages to be a fallacy as a whole, and is itself composed of fallacies. Not all fallacies, but quite a number (most of which are petitio principii: begging the question).

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Soz. I misread the title. I

Soz. I misread the title. I thought this was gonna be a Jungian thing about the Collective Unconsciousness.

You know... Archetypes and the rest of that garbage.

BTW. If you like fantasy and bizzare ESP shit mixed with autobiographical stuff... Carl Jung's autobiography "Memories, Dreams and Reflections" was the best read I did during my long gone college days.

Other folks also found it quite engaging.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Any

BobSpence1 wrote:

Any indication of a prediction of future events is a problem for free-will, because it points to the events being pre-determined.

Results showing up before the event, IOW before there was any consciousness of the event, would contradict the hypothesis that the result was caused by the consciousness of the event.

Or else it indicates they are so determined to find matches between events and signals on the RNG's they will accept events which do not match at all well in time, which puts a big question mark over the rigour of their analysis.

If Paisley can't comprehend either of these points, he just confirms his intellectual incompetence.

Maybe he's a Calvinist, Hindu, or Buddhist?