Suspended: No Astrology Allowed

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Suspended: No Astrology Allowed

It had to happen.  I'm glad it was done pretty well.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
I am litterally speechless.

I am litterally speechless. Seriously you should see my face right now i'm just in utter shock. "Why would you trust the secrets of the cosmos to someone who can't brush his own teech" What hell is wrong with them.

I don't know guys I think this might be a fake video. Actually i'm pretty sure of it.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a joke. It's a

This is a joke. It's a parody of Expelled.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Wow.  Poe's Law is a son

Wow.  Poe's Law is a son of a bitch... apparently, it's impossible to tell when an atheist is making fun of a theist, too.  

Anyway, yeah... this is a parody, kids.  I should have made that clear.  However, the fact that it's unclear should give us pause.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
No you shouldn't Hamby. I

No you shouldn't Hamby. I mean come on. It is very good satire, but good satire is just that: so subtle as to be almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

Think of The Office (at least the British version, haven't seen the American one). Part of the beauty of that show is that the parody of people in an office environment is played so straight, and the look and feel of the show is that of a normal reality show, so much so that, at least in the beggining, some people thought it WAS a normal reality show. That's part of the joke really...

Sort of like how about half of America doesn't get Starship Troopers. That just makes that movie all the more awesome.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wait, wait wait...this a

Wait, wait wait...this a parody, right? Oh okay, it is. Pretty funny.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aaaugh! Stuff like that

Aaaugh! Stuff like that really pisses me off!

But then, I am a Leo, so I get pissed off at the drop of a hat.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:Sort of like

Nikolaj wrote:

Sort of like how about half of America doesn't get Starship Troopers. That just makes that movie all the more awesome.

Whoa, people don't get Starship Troopers? That movie had a significant impact on my political focus. I've wanted to read the book since I saw the movie, and have yet to see it when I've had the money to purchase it. Sad

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 LOL... I watched Starship

LOL... I watched Starship Troopers once with a bunch of people (many of them young... as in, early to mid 20s) and I was shocked when nobody got it.  They were making fun of the movie, saying the director was stupid and cliche and over the top, and the story line was unbelievable.

I had one of those moments like Stan Marsh trying to explain cold reading to the audience in "The Biggest Douche in the Universe" episode.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Incidentally, I once

Incidentally, I once invented the "Denise Richards is a Bitch" drinking game to go along with Starship Troopers...

Books about atheism

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Astrology got me my

Astrology got me my wife...it got me my second wife too" ....hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahaahahaha

That is some funny shit right there.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I had one

Hambydammit wrote:

I had one of those moments like Stan Marsh trying to explain cold reading to the audience in "The Biggest Douche in the Universe" episode.

Lol. I may frequently have a problem with South Parks tendency to immaturity, but noone does a better job of spelling out some of the more ridiculous situations today.

Hambydammit wrote:

Incidentally, I once invented the "Denise Richards is a Bitch" drinking game to go along with Starship Troopers...

Ah yes. But she's just too damn hot....

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote: Incidentally, I

Quote:

Ah yes. But she's just too damn hot....

Well, yeah... there is that... the only problem I have with her personally is that she doesn't get naked in movies nearly enough.  I'm really tired of these prudish American actresses who think they're too good to do a nude scene.  Half the reason I don't watch current movies is they stopped including the gratuitous nude scenes, and replaced them with more car chases.

Nude Scenes > Car Chases.  Everybody knows that.

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I so agree. Horror seems to

I so agree. Horror seems to be the only genre that still has gratuitous nudity as a staple of the genre. Even comedy has gone PG for the most part. The few that do still have nudity are the absolute worst movies ever made, and certainly don't qualify as comedy. Is painful a genre?

Balkoth
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:Sort of like

Nikolaj wrote:

Could you explain what you mean by this?  And when you say half of America doesn't get ST, are you referring to the movie, the book, or both...as you then say the fact people don't get ST makes the movie more awesome.

As I've only read the book I'm a tad confused over on this side of the pond.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 American audiences thought

American audiences thought it was just a space shoot-em-up.  They didn't get that it's a pointed political criticism.

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ?

DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ?

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Nude

Hambydammit wrote:

Not always true. I would've rather seen a car chase than the nude seen in Borat.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett

spike.barnett wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Not always true. I would've rather seen a car chase than the nude seen in Borat.

ROTF

C'mon, Borat was an awesome movie. Sticking out tongue

Balkoth
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: American

Hambydammit wrote:

American audiences thought it was just a space shoot-em-up.  They didn't get that it's a pointed political criticism.

Ah.  Yeah, I thought it was obvious it was a very political book...as was the Forever War.  Did most people think both of those were simply shoot-em-ups or something?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Balkoth wrote:As I've only

Balkoth wrote:

As I've only read the book I'm a tad confused over on this side of the pond.

Oh, the book was completely different from the movie. The movie was only very, very loosely based on the book, and even then, the focus of the movie basically turned into a satirical look at war, space movies, and high school-style drama. The movie is brilliant in a completely different way than the book was, too.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
While I haven't read the

While I haven't read the book, anyone I've discussed the subject with has highly recommended it to me, saying in the process that the movie was very different in many respects. Like for one, a character changes from a best friend to a lover. Or maybe it was the reverse. Meh, I can't remember.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yah, the ugly chick

Yah, the ugly chick that Johnnie Rico boinks just before she dies was a guy in the book. However, Paul Verhoven probably would not know that because by his own admission, he did not bother to read past the first few chapters and just made the movie be about what he wanted it to be.

If you do want to pick up a copy, amazon.com has it for $3.70. Since you would take a hit on the shipping for just one book, you might also get a copy of Ender's Game if you have not already read that one too.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:spike.barnett

Vastet wrote:

spike.barnett wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

ROTF

I did enjoy the movie. I found the nude scene funny in the beginning, and then intermediately throughout. It was just over extended, like some Family Guy jokes.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Will. How long have you

Hey Will. How long have you been a mod? I just now noticed the badge...

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Yah, the ugly chick that Johnnie Rico boinks just before she dies was a guy in the book. However, Paul Verhoven probably would not know that because by his own admission, he did not bother to read past the first few chapters and just made the movie be about what he wanted it to be.

If you do want to pick up a copy, amazon.com has it for $3.70. Since you would take a hit on the shipping for just one book, you might also get a copy of Ender's Game if you have not already read that one too.

I might do that if I don't find a copy in the next year or two. I don't tend to like using online services, because most have to give my information to the US government, and I have no interest in supplying the US government with any information at all. I have only used ebay once for a game that went out of print within 2 months of its release(years before I started looking for it), so getting it any other way would have been well nigh impossible. I've never used amazon or any other service than ebay.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:Vastet

spike.barnett wrote:

Vastet wrote:

spike.barnett wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

ROTF

I did enjoy the movie. I found the nude scene funny in the beginning, and then intermediately throughout. It was just over extended, like some Family Guy jokes.

You make a good point. Overextension isn't quite as funny as some writers seem to think it is.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:Hey

spike.barnett wrote:

Hey Will. How long have you been a mod? I just now noticed the badge...

I honestly can't remember. Rook made me a mod when he was drunk at one point. I ended up arguing with this guy who thought he was "unscholarly" (which I think had something to do with having a decoder ring) and it made him laugh, so he made me a mod.

I'm pretty sure I'm the worst moderator of all time.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence