My School Bites Back!

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
My School Bites Back!

As some of you may remember, I go to the University of Pittsburgh, and the Campus Crusade for Christ has been viraling their propaganda site "www.everypittstudent.com". They didn't even make the damned site themselves, it's just a carbon copy belonging to the Christian organization "everystudent". Check it out, it's a riot.

Amazingly, there's been a huge response at my school. 90 students so far have joined a Facebook group called NOT EVERY PITT STUDENT that started as a backlash with only 10 members. It's been about a week and we've even created our own website where we can post about our beliefs.

http://www.noteverypittstudent.com/

There's even been talk about starting an atheist/freethinking organization (though of course some people want to make it into a religious tolerance organization but honestly...what's the point of that?)

Quote:

To make it clear (if it wasn’t already) this website is a response to everypittstudent.com, a website that is dishonest, misleading, and insulting in its name and content. Its name suggests that is it for every Pitt student, that it has something for all of us, and that it somehow pertains to Pitt students. Many of us went to the site expecting a site that dealt with issues around campus, maybe a site for Pitt students to talk about U of Pitt things. We were surprised to see that it was not this at all, but a bland, pre-made website from Campus Crusade for Christ with a mission to tell us what to think.  It would have us believe that we cannot be happy, moral, or fulfilled in life without a personal relationship with Jesus. Contrary to their assertion, many of us Pitt students have, in fact, found ourselves happy, moral, and fulfilled without following the website’s guidelines. Heck, some of us even feel like our lives have purpose without the aid of Jesus. Those of us who are not Christian were insulted, and Christians without the arrogance of those who sponsor this site are ashamed.

This world is a diverse place. While about 78% of American adults are Christian, that number is shrinking and every other classification is growing...

It's interesting to read the MY BELIEFS responses.

I love this generation!

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looks like a neat little

Looks like a neat little site. I remember how pushy and irritating Campus Crusade for Christ was when I was going to Cal. Seems some things don't ever change- but I'm truly glad to see someone making the effort to expose the CCC's bullshit "Let us come in- Or are you intolerant?" stance. For far too long, Christians (and others) have used the "everyone's entitled to their beliefs" idea as a back door to remaking this country into their own image. Good luck!

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
First of all I'd like to say

First of all I'd like to say good job to you and your peers. The Campus Crusade for Christ is a multinational and somewhat evil orginisation. This isn't a lone incident of come Christians getting out of control. The Campus Crusade for Christ was forced to scale back from the University of Waterloo a few years ago. I don't know if there have been problems anywhere else but I'm willing to bet there have been

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just love reading about

I just love reading about things like this. It shows how much progress we've made in such a short time, and gives me hope that we might actually knock religions down a few more major pegs in my lifetime.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
First of all I'd like to say

First of all I'd like to say good job to you and your peers. The Campus Crusade for Christ is a multinational and somewhat evil orginisation. This isn't a lone incident of come Christians getting out of control. The Campus Crusade for Christ was forced to scale back from the University of Waterloo a few years ago. I don't know if there have been problems anywhere else but I'm willing to bet there have been

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stosis wrote:First of all

Stosis wrote:

One person commented sarcastically: "Oh hey a crusade! Love to kill those little infidels!" Why would you ever call yourself a CRUSADE? As in, torture, death and bloodshed for Christ!

I'm really proud of my school for stepping up.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Glad to see you took a stand

Glad to see you took a stand against their shit. Good luck!!!