All charges dropped against Mom if dead son is resurrected

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
All charges dropped against Mom if dead son is resurrected

What's the deal with courts these days. A Maryland woman agreed to a plea deal pleading guilty of child abuse resulting in death only under the condition that all charges would be dropped when the 1 year old son is resurrected. I mean, WTF, hasn't anyone there heard of insanity or what.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/31/cult.child.death/index.html

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Words fail me.

Words fail me.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Balkoth
User is offlineOffline
Religious insanity =/=

Religious insanity =/= insanity apparently.  She thought her son was a demon who God would raise...

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
I dont get this world. It's

I dont get this world. It's getting more and more insane. I guess I'll have to build an asylum for the world. Laughing out loud (Man, I love HGTTG)

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Balkoth wrote:Religious

Balkoth wrote:

Religious insanity =/= insanity apparently.  She thought her son was a demon who God would raise...

The thing I don't get is why the court would agree to such insanity in order to get her to cop a plea. Yeah, she agreed to testify against the others but still what kind of precedent does this set? Next we will have other wackos asking for the same and citing this as a case precedent.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Words fail

Vastet wrote:

Words fail me.

Thats what I said

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quoi?  Qu'est-ce que le...?

Quoi?  Qu'est-ce que le ...?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Quoi? 

Thomathy wrote:

Quoi?  Qu'est-ce que le ...?

¿Qué? Qué que el

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

Balkoth wrote:

The thing I don't get is why the court would agree to such insanity in order to get her to cop a plea. Yeah, she agreed to testify against the others but still what kind of precedent does this set? Next we will have other wackos asking for the same and citing this as a case precedent.

Courts are respecting her religious beliefs basically, plus they know it ain't gonna happen so it's a closed case, it's more or less just kinda getting what they want by giving her what she wants, and it's something that will not happen for her.

AdvancedAtheist
User is offlineOffline
Do they mean like that

Do they mean like that toddler Gage Creed in "Pet Sematary"?

Dracos
User is offlineOffline
crazy mom

I don't think the courts went too far out on a limb.  Wouldn't the charges be dropped against anyone who could produce a live murder victim?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dracos wrote:I don't think

Dracos wrote:

I don't think the courts went too far out on a limb.  Wouldn't the charges be dropped against anyone who could produce a live murder victim?

Murder charges might be dropped, but I suspect you could still be charged with attempted murder.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh hey, I'm from around

Oh hey, I'm from around there! Baltimore? Not surprised. That's one wacky city.

My dad is a judge and he's had cases like this before. He'd throw her ass in jail. What a nut job.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck

latincanuck wrote:

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

Balkoth wrote:

Courts are respecting her religious beliefs basically, plus they know it ain't gonna happen so it's a closed case, it's more or less just kinda getting what they want by giving her what she wants, and it's something that will not happen for her.

Again, by giving her an option such as this it sets up legitimacy for many future claims by equally whacked individuals. Look for it to be a precedent for God told me to do it so I killed all the people who were against him. He will vindicate me when he comes. If you don't think such will happen you have no idea at the level of fantasy belief that is present in the US. That of course does not mean that people will be found innocent but really, why  not just use this to show the perpetrator is insane and belongs in life long incarceration in a psych ward? That she is getting off with time served and probation does not address the fact she is psychotic nor does it get her treatment to prevent a future episode. Granted the court order includes deprogramming and psychiatric treatment but yet it gave her a basis in legitmacy for her insane action. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, here's my problem. The

Ok, here's my problem. The fact of the matter is that the kid was clinically dead(for a long time no less). That means he was murdered. It doesn't even matter if it was possible to resurrect his vitals or not, he was killed.

I suspect this is going to become a greater concern for the justice system in the coming years as medical technology allows for more "back from the dead" type stories, with a precedent like this one on the books. I can see why the judge did it. Rehabilitation and deprogramming are tricky. Sometimes its not a good thing to push too quickly. But they should have simply accepted that she wasn't fit to stand trial, as opposed to actually writing something like this into history. Anyone who thinks their kid is just going to get up and start walking around after being dead for that long is simply not mentally fit.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: But they

Vastet wrote:

But they should have simply accepted that she wasn't fit to stand trial, as opposed to actually writing something like this into history. Anyone who thinks their kid is just going to get up and start walking around after being dead for that long is simply not mentally fit.

Exactly my point, the woman was fucking looney tunes.

By the way, did you take care of the virus you had?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I took a chunk out of it,

I took a chunk out of it, but it's not done yet. I've been working too many hours to feel lilke working when I get home too. lol.