I Ain't Mad Atcha

WrathJW
atheist
WrathJW's picture
Posts: 46
Joined: 2007-09-02
User is offlineOffline
I Ain't Mad Atcha

One of the more annoying accusations believers often level at atheists is "You're just angry at God." Whenever I present the Evidential Argument from Evil this inevitably comes up often in the form of "You just want to blame everything on God and not take any responsibility yourself." Funny that this accusation is launched so often since being a humanist/atheist is the very act of taking all responsibility for all that goes right or wrong in one's life onto the individual or individuals themselves and not on supernatural beings that we do not believe exist. The Argument from Evil merely points out the obvious fact that if you do believe that a God exists than God would be responsible for all the evil in the world just as the faithful believe that he is responsible for all the good in the world. Since atheists do not believe that God exists we do not believe that God is responsible for either good or evil. We believe that man is. We cannot be angry at God because we do not believe in the existence of God.

This seems like an obvious point and I almost feel silly elaborating further on it since it would seem to need no further explanation but you really would not believe how often this comes up. I am still surprised every time it does. I find this accusation obvious proof that faith not only does not require logic but directly impedes it...

More:

http://godlessandblack.blogspot.com/2009/03/i-aint-mad-atcha.html

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."
- Steven Weinberg, Nobel Prize-winning physicist


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
It is definately one of the

It is definately one of the greatest self fulfilling prophecies that theists embark upon.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
I've pretty much decided

I've pretty much decided that 95% of theist beliefs about atheists are just projections of their own faults onto us.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15751
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I've

Hambydammit wrote:

I've pretty much decided that 95% of theist beliefs about atheists are just projections of their own faults onto us.

SO SO SO.......... Are you saying that earthquakes are a result of faults?

There was a joke in there somewhere. I can't resist a silly word play.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
WrathJW wrote:This seems

WrathJW wrote:
This seems like an obvious point and I almost feel silly elaborating further on it since it would seem to need no further explanation but you really would not believe how often this comes up.

Oh, I think a few of us would. I can't even argue from evil anymore, since ... okay, it's because I don't believe in evil. I mean, people do terrible things, but "evil" just doesn't cut it as a label on those terrible things.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
Posts: 2880
Joined: 2008-04-23
User is offlineOffline
.

WrathJW wrote:

One of the more annoying accusations believers often level at atheists is "You're just angry at God." Whenever I present the Evidential Argument from Evil this inevitably comes up often in the form of "You just want to blame everything on God and not take any responsibility yourself." Funny that this accusation is launched so often since being a humanist/atheist is the very act of taking all responsibility for all that goes right or wrong in one's life onto the individual or individuals themselves and not on supernatural beings that we do not believe exist. The Argument from Evil merely points out the obvious fact that if you do believe that a God exists than God would be responsible for all the evil in the world just as the faithful believe that he is responsible for all the good in the world. Since atheists do not believe that God exists we do not believe that God is responsible for either good or evil. We believe that man is. We cannot be angry at God because we do not believe in the existence of God.

This seems like an obvious point and I almost feel silly elaborating further on it since it would seem to need no further explanation but you really would not believe how often this comes up. I am still surprised every time it does. I find this accusation obvious proof that faith not only does not require logic but directly impedes it...

More:

http://godlessandblack.blogspot.com/2009/03/i-aint-mad-atcha.html

The incredible tendency to treat abstract nouns, adjectives used as nouns, as though they were concrete nouns appears most frequently in discussions of religion. The second most frequent usage is in fiction like Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

A pound of evil and a pound of good and a pound of blue are all the same, nonsense.

Yet religion discusses evil and good as though they were real real thngs that can be measured like stones and trees.

 

 

 

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml


spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
Posts: 1018
Joined: 2008-10-24
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:The

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

The incredible tendency to treat abstract nouns, adjectives used as nouns, as though they were concrete nouns appears most frequently in discussions of religion. The second most frequent usage is in fiction like Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

A pound of evil and a pound of good and a pound of blue are all the same, nonsense.

Yet religion discusses evil and good as though they were real real thngs that can be measured like stones and trees.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I know a preacher who runs a church in my town and he does this a lot. He's a smart fellow though so I figure he does this to confuse and subjugate his less intelligent followers.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace