Critique

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Critique

Humanity can either exist without murder, rape, and physical abuse, or it cannot.

If it can, then such a state can only be reached through some external stimuli, i.e., one not experienced in all of human history.

Contingent Theistic Belief:

Through power or knowledge, God is the external stimuli that will bring about a state of non-murder, rape, and physical abuse.

Falsiable:

If at any time humanity exists without murder, rape, and physical abuse, then such a belief will be shown to be false.

Evidence for such a belief:

(1) History supports the belief that humanity cannot progress on its own to a state of non-murder, rape, and phsyical abuse.

(2) God, if he exists, may be an "external stimuli"--depending on what definition of "God" one has.

(3) Individuals have shown that they are capable of not murdering, raping, or physical abusing, and therefore it is reasonable to believe that all individuals are capable of the same restraint and may exercise such restraint in the same way and at the same time.

//

Hopefully I used all the terminology correctly.

Now:

Q: Why is this belief unreasonable? Why is it irrationale?

//

Now, I want to try something.  More specifically, I want you to try something.  Respond only with questions, which may include hypotheticals.  It keeps the responses short, specific, and helpful.

If you really can't hold yourself to this request, then feel free to share your thoughts in whatever manner you wish. I'd much rather read your responses than nothing at all.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Which part don't you get?

Which part don't you get?  I re-read it, and it seems perfectly clear.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I think it's

Quote:
it seems perfectly clear

Of course you do, you wrote it.

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
 If your problem with my argument is that I attach the word "God" to it, so be it.  Attach whatever word you want to it.

But rhad, Deludedgod was just trying to explain this to you.  This is exactly why this argument is pointless and almost tautologically trivial.  I tried before to explain this to you.  You're going around your ass to get to your elbow to prove that if an improbable event were to occur, we could speculate that something might have caused it... and it might or might not be true that whatever "something" we picked might be the cause.

I never said "If something were to occur we could speculate that something might have caused it"; rather, if anything, I stated "If something is to occur then we can speculate as to what could cause it."

Perhaps you see no difference in the two, but I certainly do; at least as much as I see a difference between the following two statements: "If a person were to walk into a room, we could speculate as to who it is" rather then "if someone were to walk into the room, we can speculate as to who it would be."

So.. did you just not remember correctly? Or did you actually have a particular meaning in saying it as you did?

If you did not have a particular meaning, or you see the two statements as a distinction without a difference, then I guess I'll come back to it to distinguish it (if I can).. but, for the moment, I'd rather find out whether or not you meant what you said.

Quote:
You can just skip all the runaround and say, "If humans ever act uniformly un-human-like, something might have caused them to act that way."  That's a perfectly sound and valid statement, and you don't have to prove it.  It's a premise, really.  Not a conclusion.

Your statement is not almost tautological, nor is it necessarily true.  Furthermore, even if it were both of these things, I fail to see how you're comparing it to my argument.

If you want me to write in the equivalent format as you have just done, and still keep the substance of my argument, here:

"If humans ever act uniformly in a way that individuals have shown themselves capable--yet as a group have never done--something external to humans, and not appearing in all of history, will have caused them to act that way."

I have adjusted it slightly in order to fall in accord with Spences valid criticism.

Do you still think the two statements are comparable? If so.. that's fine, but I need more of an explanation.

Edit: Because your summary of my argument and my argument (even following your linguistical pattern) do not seem similar to me. Of course, I could be way off.. it wouldn't be the first time in the last couple of days.

(Cosmetic edits)

And with that.. I'm out for the night.  Procrastinated on reading way too long.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:So.. was this just

Quote:
So.. was this just misrememberance? Or did you actually have a particular meaning saying as you did? If you did not, or you see the two statements as a distinction without a difference, then I guess I'll come back to it to distinguish it (if I can).. for the moment though, I'd rather find out whether or not you meant what you said.

Erm... yes... If something were to occur, we could speculate as to what might have been the cause.

Quote:
Your statement is not almost tautological, nor is it necessarily true.  So I fail to see how you're comparing it to my statement, when that is what you have accused my original argument of being.

You don't get that positing that we can speculate as to the cause of an event is trivial?

Quote:
"If humans every act uniformly as individuals have shown themselves capable of, something external to the human and not appearing in all of history will have caused them to act that way."

This is not an accurate statement, or it is so imprecise as to be nearly meaningless.  It is trivial to point out that if humans do something humans have never done, it will be something that has not occurred in all of history.  It is not a given that something "external" to humans would necessarily be the cause of such an event.  "External to humans" is vague.  Would a man-made drug count as "external"?  Would natural selection count?  Supposing that we had something very wrong about the theory of natural selection, we could posit that a significant evolutionary change in humanity might cause the behavior you suggest.

In other words, depending on how you decide to precisely define "external," either you have a trivial statement, or a false one.

Trivial:  If humans behave quite uniformly differently from our expectations, then something in the environment would be the cause of it.  (Natural selection being "part of the environment" )*

False: If humans behave quite uniformly differently from our expectations, then something beyond the environment would be the cause of it.

Well, to be fair, you could make a philosophical objection to me calling it false, and then we could play the same old boring game of epistemology vs. hypothetical speculation.  Proposing the possibility of a genuinely "external" force -- something outside of that which we can explain as part of humanity and its environment -- is fine for idle word games and philosophy 101, but it's not part of what you and deludedgod have been discussing, namely a justification for an increase in our estimation of a thing's real probability.

Quote:
Edit: Because your summary of my argument and my argument (even following your linguistical pattern) do not seem similar to me. Of course, I could be way off.. it wouldn't be the first time in the last couple of days.

Well, I'm just reacting to what you've written, based on the normal meanings of the words, or the meanings which you have specified.  It might be that you have a concept which is quite different from what your words have conveyed, but it's quite beyond me to imagine what that might be, since all I have is the words as you have written them.

* Consider that if even if humans were to behave in an unexpected way of their own volition, we could only speculate that something had made them decide collectively to do so, and we could only speculate that this decision was based on perceptions, which are our interpretation of our environment.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Balkoth
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote:That is

RhadTheGizmo wrote:
That is an incorrect summary of my argument.. More specifically, 3 is incorrect.

As I conceeded earlier, 3 can be caused new human discoveries on how to control human nature, or by x.

Er, I wasn't concerned with the summary on the concession or 3.  If I gave the impression I was trying to nitpick the logic, my apologies.  I figured you already had the rambo cat and deludedgod doing that.  I was focusing more on the issues beyond using the word "god."

Quote:
As for the rest of your argument.  If your problem with my argument is that I attach the word "God" to it, so be it.  Attach whatever word you want to it.  The significant portions, for the purpose of the original op, are (1) external, (2) stops bad things, (3) through knowledge and or power, (4) not experienced throughout history.

I wasn't making any formal argument, just pointing out some issues with the word "god."  My problem isn't necessarily that you're using the word "god," it's more that there are so many meanings of the word "god" for different people that if you wish to use it, you really need to define it very precisely.  And especially given the way you mean the word, "God" sends the wrong impression to most people and probably isn't the best word for the occasion.  Thus, attaching a word with less baggage, so to speak, would probably be a better idea.

So our four key parts are...

1. External: I'm not even sure what you mean (nor does anyone else).  External compared to what?  The human body?  How about drugs, like previously mentioned?  Earth?  How about, I don't know, aliens that will arrive on Earth in 2 years, 3 months, and 4 days to name me intergalactic supreme leader?  Can it be physical, or is this something you're claiming is supernatural?

2. Stops bad things: I assume you mean prevent them from happening in the first place?  Somewhat nebulous, but the specifics on this likely depend on the answer to #1.

3. Through knowledge and/or power: Does this mean the police force from Minority Report fits your definition of "god?"  Does this even need to be a separate point from #2?  Unless you mean the force can't simply talk a would-be rapist out of raping someone or something...maybe I'm just tired (3 AM here) and missing something important that you're seeing on this bit.  Clarification would be appreciated.

4. Not experienced throughout history: Hamby already touched on this subject.  So the basic idea is something weird happens to everyone that's never been seen before and that's a sign of "god," more or less?  What if rapes still occurred but all murders stopped?  That would be unique, would it fulfill your definition of this aspect of "god?"

Quote:
This eliminates certain things from the definition: (1) you, (2) me, (3) others, (4) historical occurences observed during human history.

So...it eliminates humans and everything humans have done/observed, in a nutshell?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote:Vastet

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Not to mention that 3) has been proven impossible through psychology and other medical studies. Some individuals, most even, are capable of acting within the boundaries you've set. But not all. Those that cannot are in such a position for various reasons; from accident to birth defect.

The provided link does not support the conclusion that it is "impossible" that all individuals are capable of "not murdering, not raping, not physically abusing," merely that the brain controls personality.

Tis true that my argument is predicated upon a belief in "freewill."  If you accept such a premise, then our only disagreement is whether it is complete, or partial, and I venture to say neither of us will get very far in determining what is the "actual" freewill people have.  I claim that it is enough in all cases to choose whether to murder, rape, abuse; and you may not.  So how to we move on?

If you do not agree with the premise, then this conversation is completely pointless to begin with because if neither you nor I have freewill, then our beliefs, our conversations, our actions, are all predetermined anyways.. so, what's the point?

So, we must proceed upon the belief that their is freewill, even though it be but an illusion.

After reading the article there, I notice quite a few things missing that were in my psychology textbook. To couple this with the excessive expansion this topic has seen in the last 12 hours, I'm going to simply back out of this topic. I'll not have time to read through every post and respond at this rate of growth, meaning I'll not be able to properly contribute.

That does not mean that I forfeit my position. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote:I'm not

RhadTheGizmo wrote:
I'm not arguing whether or not a God is needed.  I'm asking whether or not the belief that he is is unreasonable.

Oh. Then why didn't you ask that, instead of asking about the absence of rape and murder?

Is it that you're associating the hope of eradicating certain behaviours? 

RhadTheGizmo wrote:
The "why" question is simply stated, "because I think people would be a lot better served by giving the other person the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the "reasonableness" and "rationality" of their beliefs because everything can be doubted, and everything can be spouted." (My nihilistic roots).

No, I don't think so. You can doubt all you like about gravity, but it will remain active. Healthy doubt is one thing, but doubting the effects of gravity remaining constant is a bit silly. If someone were to suggest that they could turn water into wine, for example, I'd doubt that to be true. If they were to say that they found a hole in general relativity, I'd say, "Really?" because that would be amazing. I would doubt that to be true as well, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. 

RhadTheGizmo wrote:
Whether it's a matter of unicorns, god, or elves, one should presume the person is reasonable and rationale, if for no other reason than the truth of the matter of reasonable/rationale is really of little importance.

But from that standpoint, there's no point in putting people in insane asylums.

RhadTheGizmo wrote:
What does matter is the fulness of life and the actions individuals take.

And when those actions are informed by beliefs in fairies and elves, how reasonable do you think the actions will be?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:(3) Individuals have

Quote:
(3) Individuals have shown that they are capable of not murdering, raping, or physical abusing, and therefore it is reasonable to believe that all individuals are capable of the same restraint and may exercise such restraint in the same way and at the same time.

Rhad, this is a non-sequitor (it does not follow that simply because some people are moral that all persons must be moral)... and besides the formal fallacy, dead wrong. Some human beings are clinical sociopaths; they do not experience guilt, have diminished consciences and propensities toward aggression. Here is an article on the subject.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940