Is there any meaning in the world?

godisgoneonhoneymoon
godisgoneonhoneymoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is there any meaning in the world?

I have a simple and direct question. Is there any meaning in this world including the humanity itself?

Religion makes me suffer everyday!

theacrobat (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:I think

HisWillness wrote:

I think you got it. It's not particularly profound, but it is an unfortunate assessment of some people's tendency to attempt escape from their unfulfilling lives instead of changing them.

Well, if  a person knew how to change his life into something meaningful, he wouldn't be looking for meaning, since he would already know how to remodel his life to make it meaningful. Usually someone who is trying to escape his life, whether it's the guy at my cousins work who devotes long hours to his work, so he could avoid his nagging wife and spoiled kids, or people who escape through drugs and alcohol, they do so because they don't know how to or a see means to change their lives in a way that it would be a meaningful existence for them.

The question could just as easily be do you find your life meaningful? If so, what is it that makes it meaningful for you? I've encountered numerous people in my life who seem to live rather meaningless existences, people who just go through the motions of living, but unfulfilled and unsatisfied. There's no fortune cookie line to get them out of their rut, and often the solution is not so readily found.  

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
theacrobat wrote:The

theacrobat wrote:
The question could just as easily be do you find your life meaningful?

Right. Thus "finding meaning in your life" is up to you. If you do find meaning in your life, then you find your life meaningful, no?

theacrobat wrote:
I've encountered numerous people in my life who seem to live rather meaningless existences, people who just go through the motions of living, but unfulfilled and unsatisfied. There's no fortune cookie line to get them out of their rut, and often the solution is not so readily found.

But would it be easier to find if they knew that they were the ones responsible for finding the meaning?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

theacrobat (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Right.

HisWillness wrote:

Right. Thus "finding meaning in your life" is up to you. If you do find meaning in your life, then you find your life meaningful, no?

But would it be easier to find if they knew that they were the ones responsible for finding the meaning?

I have no clue as to what you're trying to mean? Why would a person think that its not up to them to find meaning? Who else would it be up to?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
theacrobat wrote:Why would a

theacrobat wrote:

Why would a person think that its not up to them to find meaning?

No idea, but that would be the kind of person who would ask someone else, "What's the meaning of life?"

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:Fair

spike.barnett wrote:

Fair enough. I agree to your point that I am in no position to make a claim to knowledge, but you're in no better a position than I. I am somewhat relieved that you view it as objective. The idea that waveforms collapse just because we looked at them always seemed narcissistic to me. What are your thoughts on entanglement and locality?

I spent some time trying to answer this post correctly, since language really is a limited tool and me using it in a semi-literate fashion does not make things better. I will have to try to 'entangle' our brains for this one.

We have this weird thing on our hands - somehow particles can enter a mode in which they are each other's opposite and exhibit opposite behaviour simultaneously over distance. There are five types of questions we can ask and attempt to answer:

1) Can we artificially induce this state on arbitrary particles? Can we get information from one particle about the other in a controled environment, like for instance both the wavelength and precise position simultaneously? Can we do this to whole objects, say copy structure and behavior of an apple on the other side of the room? If not, is this just some kind of a hat-trick particles do and means something completely different? ...

2) What does this discovery mean for our existance? What does it say about reality? How should we feel about this new knowledge? ...

3) Is there some new technology comming out of this research and what does it mean for our daily lives? How are we to interpret our role in the world, once some potential tool has altered our beliefs, changed our environment? What are the important social issues to be tackled in this new created reality, like what cellulars or computers brought along? What are the values that we want to keep, or are we to discard? ...

4) Could it be that all places are the same place and this is the ultimate victory of solipsism? Maybe there is a way for my position to win the fight anyway, what are the posibilities in Copenhagen and Bohm's interpretations? Is our team going to be the one to take the Nobel Prize for this or that piece of technology or theory that comes out of this? Am I going to have to listen to I-told-you-so at the office today? ...

5) How can I use this new thing to further my goals? Do my goals change with this new understanding? Can I use this new understanding to get some people on board for my own purpose? Can I hurt my enemies with this new understanding and technology? Should I try to suppress this temporarily, since it hurts my goals? Can I tell a narrative that includes this new piece of information, that would result in some benefit for myself? ...

For me personally, some of the questions in different categories create a sense of urgency, as if I would let something bad happen if I concentrated only on one type. Also some weird new questions come up and I can't really put them in any of the categories in such a way that this anxiety would go away. What do you think?

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
ZuS wrote:2) What does this

ZuS wrote:

2) What does this discovery mean for our existance? What does it say about reality? How should we feel about this new knowledge? ...

If certain interpretations are correct, we will have to work with the concepts of instantaneous information transfer, or retrocausality. Either of which would fundamentally change our understanding of the universe.

ZuS wrote:

3) Is there some new technology comming out of this research and what does it mean for our daily lives?

Some people have proposed that we could use entangled pairs for communications.

ZuS wrote:

4) Could it be that all places are the same place and this is the ultimate victory of solipsism?

I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I think solipsism is a crock of shit. If this is all in my head, I am gonna be so pissed when I let myself in on the joke.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:ZuS

spike.barnett wrote:

ZuS wrote:

If certain interpretations are correct, we will have to work with the concepts of instantaneous information transfer, or retrocausality. Either of which would fundamentally change our understanding of the universe.

ZuS wrote:

3) Is there some new technology comming out of this research and what does it mean for our daily lives?

Some people have proposed that we could use entangled pairs for communications.

ZuS wrote:

4) Could it be that all places are the same place and this is the ultimate victory of solipsism?

I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I think solipsism is a crock of shit. If this is all in my head, I am gonna be so pissed when I let myself in on the joke.

Ok, so I must admit I was fishing for these kinds of answers to show a point, but secretly hoping that you wouldn't go that way.

Those questions are irrelevant, what is interesting is this feeling of anxiety once you have gone through them - there is something missing from all of them and it has to do with addressing the negative side of just focusing on one type of questions.

Indeed, all of them beg other questions when types are combined. Try reading the third type, which is a sort of social responsibility type. Then go to the fifth type. Than go back to third. There is something missing in the third type, we are just not addressing the issues that arise from asking questions in type 5 concerning the discovery at hand. It's as if we assume we know the environment and know what's what here, and just go on like we are the ones that are running the show. People interested only in type 5 questions do exist and do have an effect on the world, but we are perfectly content with ignoring them or assuming that we know all about them.

So, we continue talking past each other.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
ZuS wrote:So, we

ZuS wrote:

It would seem so. Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't see your point. I don't mean that in a condescending way. I mean quite literally, I'm not sure what it is you're trying to communicate. So, in an effort to end any confusion, I will state my position again.

I believe there is only the illusion of purpose or meaning. Any purpose or meaning we currently hold is determined by the previous state of the universe. The universe is as it was an instant ago, only ever so slightly changed. Updated from an older version of itself in the only way it can, with exacting precision.

Now it's your turn to make an argument against my opinion. Try to make it clear and concise.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

MySpace

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline

spike.barnett wrote:

ZuS wrote:

It would seem so. Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't see your point. I don't mean that in a condescending way. I mean quite literally, I'm not sure what it is you're trying to communicate. So, in an effort to end any confusion, I will state my position again.

I believe there is only the illusion of purpose or meaning. Any purpose or meaning we currently hold is determined by the previous state of the universe. The universe is as it was an instant ago, only ever so slightly changed. Updated from an older version of itself in the only way it can, with exacting precision.

Now it's your turn to make an argument against my opinion. Try to make it clear and concise.

Can you imagine it being any other way?

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
ZuS wrote:Can you imagine it

ZuS wrote:

Yes, I can. But as you may know, reality does not conform to our imaginations. Now, if you will, please explain how my thinking is flawed.

MySpace

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline

spike.barnett wrote:

ZuS wrote:

Yes, I can. But as you may know, reality does not conform to our imaginations. Now, if you will, please explain how my thinking is flawed.

Well, if you can imagine it being any other way, what makes you pick a particular understanding is the common human inability to look at things out of the box. It's pretty clear that we can not answer a question like: where does the undevisible particle come from, since we instantly need to know what it's comprised of. And there are infinite questions of the sort. Materialistic view is infinite recursion, we can't get away from that.

Our understanding does not contain 90% of what there is, and the 10% is just the few holes we need to fill. Much more likely we understand 0,00001% or less of what there is to understand, and the rest can change our view completely a billion times over.

To say it in datalogical terms: we have pretty good heuristics, but we don't have the algorithm. To assume that universe is deterministic is to assume that you know the algorithm.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
ZuS wrote: Well, if you can

ZuS wrote:

Well, if you can imagine it being any other way, what makes you pick a particular understanding is the common human inability to look at things out of the box. It's pretty clear that we can not answer a question like: where does the undevisible particle come from, since we instantly need to know what it's comprised of. And there are infinite questions of the sort. Materialistic view is infinite recursion, we can't get away from that.

I don't agree with this at all. This is a baseless assertion. Quit dancing around the subject and answer the question. And I prefer the term physicalism.

ZuS wrote:

Our understanding does not contain 90% of what there is, and the 10% is just the few holes we need to fill. Much more likely we understand 0,00001% or less of what there is to understand, and the rest can change our view completely a billion times over.

To say it in datalogical terms: we have pretty good heuristics, but we don't have the algorithm. To assume that universe is deterministic is to assume that you know the algorithm.

Don't be a retard. The statement "I think reality is deterministic" is not at all like the statement "I know how everything works." What is it that you suggest we do anyway? Just give up and start attributing everything to "spooky actions" or invisible gods?

MySpace

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:I don't

spike.barnett wrote:

I don't agree with this at all. This is a baseless assertion. Quit dancing around the subject and answer the question. And I prefer the term physicalism.

It's not baseless at all. Physicalism itself is a slight move away from materialism, and there will be many to follow. In a couple of years you will prefer another term. The string theory for instance is as far from empiric science as you get in the scientific world, yet many physicists are working hard on the pure theory of it.

Our way to see things really does end in infinite recursion. I don't think you will find anyone that doesn't think renormalisation is something we would like to get rid of, but which is necessary to make our most precise calculations make sense.

spike.barnett wrote:

Don't be a retard. The statement "I think reality is deterministic" is not at all like the statement "I know how everything works." What is it that you suggest we do anyway? Just give up and start attributing everything to "spooky actions" or invisible gods?

I try not to be a retard. It is hard when faced with problems in which you have to drop your perspective, just to understand the basics. Somehow I feel I was made to be a retard, having experience of only one mode of this phenomenon called "time" for example.

I suggest we keep in mind that our heuristics at best model the world, they don't explain it. We would like to explain things with our heuristics, but if the explanations can have bad consequences (social Darwinism where it's ok to be a winner at all costs; clockwork universe where nothing really matters since it's all written down already; afterlife where it's not as bad to kill people, since they live after death) I think we should just flat out slap ourselves, drop the explanation and go back to discovery.

One consequence of clockwork universe is this notion that the best we can hope for is finding meaning each for our selves, since there really can't be meaning in mathematical predictability. Humans just don't work that way. We would do well to recognize the threat of the need for meaning. This is a divide-and-conquer opportunity for anyone who would like to explain to us what our interests really are. I don't care for it.

Back to the questions I presented you with a few posts ago - combine any type with type 5 questions, and anxiety arises. Like a fear that we really are bullshitting ourselves, helping bad people do bad things, merely by giving up on meaning and leaving it to bad people to fill in the holes with some fascist ideology. We can do better than that.

godisgoneonhoneymoon
godisgoneonhoneymoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
sorry i have exams going on,

sorry i have exams going on, thats y i couldnt reply earlier.

thats is all great answers. in short i deeply agree that there is no meaning in anything.

but then what makes us to obey the rules and regulations? i mean ok we punish people for wrong doings. but morally he hasnt done anyting wrong.

and can anyone give any information about any special music theme(most probably instrumental) for marijuana. i am not sure but i think there should be specially developed pieces for marijuana. if anyone give me any link, that would be great.

i think those who have resources should develop things like that. when i first watched the end part of the men in black which shows the world differntly, i liked it. but now i think why pictures like that are so rare. For example imagine a 10 or 15 minutes video that would take you back with the time. like current human then our ancesters then apes, then maybe dynasours and then maybe the small specious and then the creation of earth and maybe the big bung and mayeb even something interesting even earlier than that. i think there is so much interesting things which can be filmed.

Religion makes me suffer everyday!

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
godisgoneonhoneymoon wrote:

BOOOM

You have no idea how much satisfaction I just gleaned from destroying your post, Luminon.

Theists aren't allowed to post in here.

Have an awesome day.

- Kevin R Brown

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:BOOOM You

Luminon wrote:

BOOOM

You have no idea how much satisfaction I just gleaned from destroying your post, Luminon.

Have an awesome day.

- Kevin R Brown

..............lol?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

wkirby
User is offlineOffline
Recommended reading:The

Recommended reading:

The Lucifer Principle by Howard Bloom

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:BOOOM You

Luminon wrote:

BOOOM

Have an awesome day.

- Kevin R Brown

This would be the first time I had actually seen this rule enforced. Until now, it was rather a protection against  Christian fundies preaching, not a way how to bully someone for giving a requested link on Youtube music video.

Godisonhoneymoon asked for something like this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZmasnSFXQE  and he should get it.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

TorresIsMyGod
User is offlineOffline
mmm

Well i'm new to this but I'll give my thoughts.

The meaning of life is to reproduce. Nothing more, nothing less. The problem comes when you add consciousness (correct spelling??) to this. What does "meaning" in this sense mean anyway?  I think what people get at when they say "meaning of life" is they are looking for a task/mission/job etc etc. It's almost like they are saying "right, i'm alive, what do you want me to do now?" and the response being "live your life!" and them saying "to what aim?". We humans I guess need some direction....

Enter Bible!!! lol

A meaning of life, in my eyes, is a bit of a waste of time. If I have children I'll have done my bit. However I intend to have a meaning IN life. I hope to live a life a life I enjoy with people I enjoy being around. If I wanna watch football all afternoon in my pants, i'm gonna. If I wanna run for breast cancer, I'm gonna. If I wanna stay up till 11:30 writing on a website to you fine people, I'm gonna. Call me selfish but thats my MEANING OF LIFE!! lol

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
godisgoneonhoneymoon

godisgoneonhoneymoon wrote:

thats is all great answers. in short i deeply agree that there is no meaning in anything.

And yet you start a discussion on the topic? Just the fact that you are discussing anything is really evidence that you deeply believe there is meaning with all of it. Otherwise you would just lie down and die.