Who needs anime?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who needs anime?

I don't get anime.  I admit it.  I watch it, and I try to get it, and I don't get it.  This, however, is really entertaining, and is more visually entertaining (to me) as well.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Are you

HisWillness wrote:

Are you telling me you guys have watched an entire show? I got bored waiting to care.

I always saw it as a kind of comedy. You can't tell me you didn't laugh when everybody started yelling... It's even funnier when something surprising happens, they just stand there for half an hour and take turns saying "Uuuggghhh."

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: Okay,

HisWillness wrote:

Okay, I've watched about as much of that crap as I can handle. Am I to understand the focus of the show is magical karate? Why, pray tell, does everything involving magical karate need to be announced to one's opponent? Like, "special magic cannon!!!!!!111" and then more yelling, and then another 20 minutes later something happens.

Are you telling me you guys have watched an entire show? I got bored waiting to care.

.... /sigh ...

all 270+ ish episodes along with about 10 movies...

Unfortunately... yes, i have

It's something you have to do, to get you Nerd wings

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Vader needs line of

Quote:

Vader needs line of sight for Telekinetic Kill, yes. But that can be accomplished with a real time image. Jedi Master Jorus C'Baoth demonstrated a capacity for this form of Telekinetic Kill by using it on then Commander Thrawn of the Chiss Empire.

Of course, not all attacks with the Force must be line of sight. Most of the mental aspects can be utilized anywhere as long as one has sufficient power and skill.

Worse for Goku, Vader had the ability of Absorb/Dissipate, which would have allowed him to eat each and every one of Goku's energy attacks and send them back to the source in the form of Force Lightning.

Well, this all depends on your view of what Star Wars canon is, as Star Wars books (which are total garbage) tend to utilize The Force as an arbitrarily powerful weapon that can accomplish whatever thing the author wishes to demonstrate how badass their new Jedi or Sith is, while the films all demonstrate very clear limitations on what The Force can accomplish (we see that even Yoda, in the God-awful Episode II, struggles to prevent a large container from crushing Obi-Wan/Anakin).

Vader clearly cannot absorb lightsaber strokes and it appears that he requires at least some degree of concentration and conscious effort to absorb blaster fire (he had to extend his hand towards Han Solo and blocked the shots with his palm in the dining hall scene).

The only case I know of for potentially 'super strong' force application where the films are concerned is Vader's killing of Ozzel by simply seeing him in the view screen. However:

A) We don't know where Ozzel or Vader were located.

B) We are given many, many examples in other films where a powerful Jedi or Sith character has line of sight to an enemy via Holocron and does not act to kill or disable them even when it would be in their best interest (Anakin watching Obi-Wan get ambushed, Dooku watching the Republic forces landing, etc).

40K Psykers wielding the Powers of the Warp demonstrate far more power, even outside of crappy 40K literature (Simply fielding an Icon of Chaos Glory - a banner with a mere symbol drawn on it - for example, allows the model carrying the banner to become possessed by a monstrous Great Daemon of Chaos that can crush battle tanks).

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:....

The Doomed Soul wrote:

.... /sigh ...

all 270+ ish episodes along with about 10 movies...

Unfortunately... yes, i have

You poor bastard.

The Doomed Soul wrote:
It's something you have to do, to get you Nerd wings

I have a blog in Latin, and I used to be a programmer. My nerd wings are made of solid gold.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:I have a

HisWillness wrote:

I have a blog in Latin, and I used to be a programmer. My nerd wings are made of solid gold.

LOL I'm a hobby programmer and I'm not fluent in Latin. I guess that makes my wings bronze?

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

MySpace

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett

spike.barnett wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

LOL I'm a hobby programmer and I'm not fluent in Latin. I guess that makes my wings bronze?

I suppose I shouldn't have thrown down the gauntlet; I'm not exactly on the selection committee. If you survived anime, I'm sure your nerd mind is very resilient.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Broly

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Broly apperantly did it, in his first movie, he apperantly destroyed all of "South Universe" (so i just went with the assumption that it was 1/4 of the universe)

Those ad selectors are top notch. The mere mention of Broly caused the movies with him in it to be advertised in the above banner...

MySpace

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:I suppose

HisWillness wrote:

I suppose I shouldn't have thrown down the gauntlet; I'm not exactly on the selection committee. If you survived anime, I'm sure your nerd mind is very resilient.

I actually don't care for most animes that I've seen. There are very few I will watch.

MySpace

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love Soul Eater, and

I love Soul Eater, and TTGL.

Detroit Metal City is hilarious too. The anime follows a guy who sings in a death metal band, when he is...less than hardcore in his real personality, and completely the opposite on stage. It's only about 9 episodes, but most of the best animes are the ones that aren't milked for 300+ episodes.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Regarding the discussion on

Regarding the discussion on the watchability of DBZ, I personally found it very entertaining. Yes, about 75% of all of the material is literally watching the same shit that you just saw over or people standing around doing nothing, but when the story hits a drama point, it really hits a drama point. Watch it for the moments, not the entirety, and you shouldn't have too much problem making it through.

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Vastet wrote:

I would imagine so. Though I'm not familiar enough with DC rules to give a straight answer. I'd imagine his heat vision could accomplish it well enough. If he had to do it piece by piece...well he's as fast as light and can carry pretty well anything out of a gravity well, so I'd have to say yeah.

Cant say im overly familar with DC universe either, but i know for a fact that laser beam eyes would NOT destroy a planet, I mean, how long would it take for this pewpew eye laser to reach the planet core? or it he going to attempt to cut the planet into bits? Good luck either way

I seem to recall him having the ability to change the focus and strength of his heat vision, but seeing as I haven't had enough experience with DC I'm going to have to drop the heat vision portion of my response. The speed and strength of Mr. S however remains solid. Moving at the speed of light would allow Mr. S to reduce the Earth to an insignificant rock within a few days or less.

The Doomed Soul wrote:
Vastet wrote:

Have you seen episodes I haven't? Or perhaps you're referring to a comic? Goku was responsible for the destruction of one planet to my recollection, and it wasn't even actually him who pulled the trigger. It was Cell. I don't recall anything else that comes close other than Frieza's destruction of Namek. Noone has actually done more than destroy a planet at a time in anything I've seen.

Broly apperantly did it, in his first movie, he apperantly destroyed all of "South Universe" (so i just went with the assumption that it was 1/4 of the universe)

Guess I am going to have to watch the series again. At least it won't be on tv this time through. Episodes move way too slowly to have to wait a day for the next one.

The Doomed Soul wrote:
Vastet wrote:

Q the man may have demonstrated a remarkable capability to be a buffoon, but the rest of his species was the only thing that allowed Picard to beat him in any way. He demonstrated complete control of time and space, from the microscopic to the macroscopic.

Exactly, no Gods, but a species of immense power ;-p

I guess that would depend on the definition of god(s). But I'll let it go. Sticking out tongue

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Vader needs line of sight for Telekinetic Kill, yes. But that can be accomplished with a real time image.

I know, i still count that as a Line of Sight (Vader killing an Admiral in one of the movies from a view screen is a good example)

Fuck I'm embarrassed. How the hell did I forget Admiral Piet's promotion? Ugh.

The Doomed Soul wrote:
Vastet wrote:

Worse for Goku, Vader had the ability of Absorb/Dissipate, which would have allowed him to eat each and every one of Goku's energy attacks and send them back to the source in the form of Force Lightning. Eye-wink    

I would pay to see that >.>

Lol

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Vader needs line of sight for Telekinetic Kill, yes. But that can be accomplished with a real time image. Jedi Master Jorus C'Baoth demonstrated a capacity for this form of Telekinetic Kill by using it on then Commander Thrawn of the Chiss Empire.

Of course, not all attacks with the Force must be line of sight. Most of the mental aspects can be utilized anywhere as long as one has sufficient power and skill.

Worse for Goku, Vader had the ability of Absorb/Dissipate, which would have allowed him to eat each and every one of Goku's energy attacks and send them back to the source in the form of Force Lightning.

Well, this all depends on your view of what Star Wars canon is, as Star Wars books (which are total garbage) tend to utilize The Force as an arbitrarily powerful weapon that can accomplish whatever thing the author wishes to demonstrate how badass their new Jedi or Sith is, while the films all demonstrate very clear limitations on what The Force can accomplish (we see that even Yoda, in the God-awful Episode II, struggles to prevent a large container from crushing Obi-Wan/Anakin).

Absolute and total self ownage. EVERY book, game, and tv show is canon; as per GEORGE LUCAS. The ONLY part of the ENTIRE published Star Wars universe which is NOT considered canon are the comic books. And even they are viewed with a grain of salt(anything that can and does work with the rest of the Star Wars universe's history, happened)

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Vader clearly cannot absorb lightsaber strokes and it appears that he requires at least some degree of concentration and conscious effort to absorb blaster fire (he had to extend his hand towards Han Solo and blocked the shots with his palm in the dining hall scene).

Actually, Vader CAN absorb lightsaber strokes. Or did you somehow happen to miss the fact that his arm didn't fall off when Luke struck his shoulder with a lightsaber in Episode V?

The absorb/dissipate power was best defined in the novel "I Jedi", when an apprentice Jedi was able to suck in the energy from a bunker blasting explosion, and refocus it in a different direction. An apprentice. Whereas Vader was a master. 

Kevin R Brown wrote:

The only case I know of for potentially 'super strong' force application where the films are concerned is Vader's killing of Ozzel by simply seeing him in the view screen. However:

A) We don't know where Ozzel or Vader were located.

Actually, we do. I just don't feel like looking it up at the moment. Especially when the example I gave regarding Jorus C'Baoth and Thrawn relegates this point to immaterial.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

B) We are given many, many examples in other films where a powerful Jedi or Sith character has line of sight to an enemy via Holocron and does not act to kill or disable them even when it would be in their best interest (Anakin watching Obi-Wan get ambushed, Dooku watching the Republic forces landing, etc).

It is not in a Jedi's interest to use that ability. It is a guaranteed path to the darkside. A Jedi using it would be expelled from the order, and would likely become a Sith. At the least he or she would be on the path to becoming a dark or failed Jedi, depending on how things went.

Furthermore, a Jedi or Sith can resist this power, so using it on one of them would accomplish nothing more than revealing yourself as an attacker.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

40K Psykers wielding the Powers of the Warp demonstrate far more power, even outside of crappy 40K literature (Simply fielding an Icon of Chaos Glory - a banner with a mere symbol drawn on it - for example, allows the model carrying the banner to become possessed by a monstrous Great Daemon of Chaos that can crush battle tanks).

I don't know enough about that series to comment on it specifically, but you clearly don't know enough about Star Wars to do a comparison yourself either.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only REAL loser in a

The only REAL loser in a fight between Goku and Superman is the person who feels compelled to defend one or the other.

I proudly confess to not giving a shit.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote:The only

Archeopteryx wrote:

The only REAL loser in a fight between Goku and Superman is the person who feels compelled to defend one or the other.

I proudly confess to not giving a shit.

AH-hahahaha!

*tear*

So true.

I got sucked in, I admit it.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 What the hell is a Goku? 

What the hell is a Goku?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: What the

Hambydammit wrote:

What the hell is a Goku?

The epitamy of everything you hate about Anime

What Would Kharn Do?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: What the

Hambydammit wrote:

What the hell is a Goku?

Best not to know.

I'm completely serious. You will wish those precious minutes could be restored to you very badly.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:What the

Hambydammit wrote:

What the hell is a Goku?

It's kind of like a saddleback...

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I don't know what a Goku is

I don't know what a Goku is because I don't watch that Dragon Ball Z crap

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I've decided that anime is

I've decided that anime is much like religion.  Everybody's got their favorite version of "Good Anime," and they all dogmatically cling to the truth that their version is the "One True Anime."  To an outsider like me, it all looks like crap and lacks substance.

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I've

Hambydammit wrote:

I've decided that anime is much like religion.  Everybody's got their favorite version of "Good Anime," and they all dogmatically cling to the truth that their version is the "One True Anime."  To an outsider like me, it all looks like crap and lacks substance.

By George I think he's got it. Eye-wink

The only difference is that even fan boys know deep down that it's not real.

I don't know who the fuck George is....

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.