PZ Myers: "Utilitarian argument should be dead."

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
PZ Myers: "Utilitarian argument should be dead."

In a short blog post today, biologist and blogger PZ Myers has made what I think is a genuinely profound observation, and I hope it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

In the recent controversy involving a nine year old Brazilian girl who was raped and impregnated, the Vatican itself has made a ruling:  Fetuses come before people.  While this should come as no surprise, I think we should not just brush this aside as one more example of religious nuttery.  The Vatican has clearly and emphatically given us proof against one of the most powerful emotional appeals used by apologists -- Humans do not need religion to help provide comfort to people in need.

The utilitarian argument is often the last refuge of the defeated in an argument about religion.  There are many people who seem to believe more in belief in god than in god himself.  They think that religion is some kind of cement holding humanity together against its own nature.  This incident provides a stark rebuttal to the notion.

In case you missed it, a nine year old Brazilian girl was raped by her step father, and became pregnant.  Doctors, fearing for her life, performed an abortion.  In retaliation for this act of kindness, the Brazilian arm of the Catholic Church excommunicated the mother and the doctors involved in the procedure.  The Vatican has since upheld the decision.

The utilitarian argument doesn't hold water.  Humans are empathetic without religion.  When you superimpose dogma onto an ethical dilemma, you subvert the process of normal human empathy and kindness.  Every sane person in the world knows that the responsible thing to do in this situation was save a nine year old girl from living her entire life as the caretaker for living proof of a heinous crime commited against her.  As empathetic, rational humans, we can instantly see that a nine year old victim of sexual abuse cannot hope to be a sufficient mother.  The step father is certainly not a suitable surrogate caretaker.

Let me make this abundantly clear:  The only reason there was any debate about this kindness is religious dogma.  Without the unscientific, irrational dogma held by the church, human kindness would have won the day unopposed.  Any religious dogma is -- by definition -- not rational and scientific.  If it was, we wouldn't call it religious dogma.  It would be science (and not dogmatic, by definition).

Myers said it very eloquently:  "The utilitarian argument that religion at least provides comfort to people in need ought to be extinct now."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:but I

Eloise wrote:

but I personally don't label myself pro-life as he does, I'm not sure where we depart from each other about that, but anyway...

I'm not a big fan of labels, but I'll take on one that can fit me if modified at least for a time. I'm not exactly pro-life, as things stand I'm pro-choice. But in an ideal society, I'd be pro-life and proud of it. That's why I took on the moniker.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Gauche

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Gauche wrote:

There are many reason why a woman may not want to get pregnant though.  I'm trying to establish that consenting to the first thing cannot necessarily be seen as tacit consent to the second thing. Don't you agree?

Yes.

I brought this up because you said that if a woman consents then she has responsibility. But you agree that consenting to sex isn't consenting to pregnancy. So why is the person responsible for something they didn't consent to?

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Gauche wrote:

And there are ways to mitigate both circumstances. You could shoot robber and call the police, and you could get an abortion. Why is it okay to do one but not the other?

Because the fetus is a developing human. The robber is has the potiental of shooting/stabbing you, however the fetus is showing no aggression towards you.

Realistically, a person burglarizing your house usually doesn't want to add a capital charge of murder to a misdemeanor crime of burglary. But, even though a burglar has no reason to harm me, and I have no reason to think that they will, I'm still allowed to assume the opposite and react accordingly. Even if you have no reason to think that a pregnancy will harm you, the potential still exists so the situation is no different.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Gauche wrote:

But you said a woman does have responsibility. There are other possible unwanted consequenses to sex besides pregnancy. If a person contracts a disease are they allowed to mitigate that? If a person loses a friend because of sex are they allowed to try to get their friend back?

Yes they should mitigate the disease, and try to get the friend back. None of those would end a life, [well except for the disease virus, but the virus is endangering the human]

When there is another life involved, decisions should be more carefully considered.

In the case of the burglar there's another life involved and I'm allowed to end it. I don't need any more justification to end the person's life than the fact that being burgled would hurt me financially. Even if the burglar can't hurt me physically I can kill them just for breaking in.

So why can I act to mitigate the burglary on the grounds that it  is a danger to me financially  and perhaps physically, but I cannot act to mitigate the pregnancy for the exact same reasons?

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:I brought this

Gauche wrote:

I brought this up because you said that if a woman consents then she has responsibility. But you agree that consenting to sex isn't consenting to pregnancy. So why is the person responsible for something they didn't consent to?

Because the pregnancy could come from the sex whether she consents to the pregnancy or not.

Gauche wrote:

Realistically, a person burglarizing your house usually doesn't want to add a capital charge of murder to a misdemeanor crime of burglary. But, even though a burglar has no reason to harm me, and I have no reason to think that they will, I'm still allowed to assume the opposite and react accordingly. Even if you have no reason to think that a pregnancy will harm you, the potential still exists so the situation is no different.

It's different because the buglar was harming you by stealing your stuff, and has committed something illegal.

The fetus on the other hand, hasn't done anything.

Gauche wrote:

In the case of the burglar there's another life involved and I'm allowed to end it. I don't need any more justification to end the person's life than the fact that being burgled would hurt me financially. Even if the burglar can't hurt me physically I can kill them just for breaking in.

So why can I act to mitigate the burglary on the grounds that it  is a danger to me financially  and perhaps physically, but I cannot act to mitigate the pregnancy for the exact same reasons?

Being pregnant isn't illegal, buglary is. The buglar has gone out of his way to harm you, the fetus hasn't

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Gauche

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Gauche wrote:

Because the pregnancy could come from the sex whether she consents to the pregnancy or not.

And a burglary can come with opening your window whether you consent to being burgled or not.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Gauche wrote:

It's different because the burglar was harming you by stealing your stuff, and has committed something illegal.

The fetus on the other hand, hasn't done anything.

It's only called a burglary because the person wants to keep their possessions. Otherwise, if the person would have willingly parted with their stuff then there wouldn't be any harm, and it wouldn't be illegal. If a woman doesn't want to be pregnant then they perceive it as harm.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Gauche wrote:

Being pregnant isn't illegal, buglary is. The buglar has gone out of his way to harm you, the fetus hasn't

The mistake you're making is that you're comparing a desired pregnancy to a burglary when you should be comparing an undesired pregnancy to a burglary, and a desired one to just giving your possessions away. 

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
So in the past couple of

So in the past couple of months, the Catholic Church has proved itself a safe haven for holocaust deniers and child rapists. Any bets on who get into heaven next?

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:So in the past

geirj wrote:
So in the past couple of months, the Catholic Church has proved itself a safe haven for holocaust deniers and child rapists. Any bets on who get into heaven next?

The pope?

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!